ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar

Photo Gallery~Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulator Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Hop to:
#3124982 - 04/17/12 12:24 PM Re: Norway Rat [Re: G Hanold]
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper

Loc: mequon, wisconsin
"Hey come on babe, follow me, I'm the Pied Piper".....Crispian St.Peters

#3125846 - 04/17/12 10:08 PM Re: Norway Rat [Re: Paul Winkelmann]
G Hanold Offline
trapper

Loc: Haubstadt, In.
Last Peter Pan movie I've seen Tinker Bell looked a lot like Julia Roberts. I'm good with that too!

Trapping &
Removal of
Animal
Pests

#3126783 - 04/18/12 06:38 PM Re: Norway Rat [Re: G Hanold]
Rick Federation Offline
trapper

Loc: Johns Creek, GA
Any luck? and if so how did you do it?

www.animaltrappingremoval.com

#3126825 - 04/18/12 07:09 PM Re: Norway Rat [Re: G Hanold]
PocketJax Offline
trapper

Loc: Ohio
Like several others mentioned, I believe that blind sets are the key here. I personally dealt with this similar situation with a very educated Norway Rat that had been educated by the home owners prior to my starting the job...

I got some great input from forum members here after trying many methods and eventually caught it in the basement subfloor by using piles of black sunflower seeds and layers of regular flour to track its travelways. Once it had started eating the sunflower seeds and tracks had appeared in the flour, I bedded several #1 and 1 1/2 longsprings along these trails using guides. 2 days later I had it...They typically run tight to the structure. Leave the area as natural as it was when you got there after setting the traps. These were set at ground level like you would a fox set.

I believe the trails/tunnels in the insulation you have discovered are your key to success. Using existing insulation, you should be able to 'bed' footholds directly in these tunnels and keep him in his natural habitat. Conibears may be difficult unless you install an 1/8" mesh 'pan' through the wires after bending them at 90 degrees. This will allow you to set the trap upside down and disguise it better while having no triggers visible.

Hope this helps.

I wore latex gloves while setting the traps also. Any change in there environment they will notice

Member OSTA

http://www.facebook.com/AandJWildlifeControl

#3126837 - 04/18/12 07:16 PM Re: Norway Rat [Re: G Hanold]
Rick Federation Offline
trapper

Loc: Johns Creek, GA
Its funny you mentioned rubber gloves just how much do you think scent plays a role in trapping rats? they use the nose to locate food why not danger.Does anybody have any thoughts on this?

www.animaltrappingremoval.com

#3126861 - 04/18/12 07:31 PM Re: Norway Rat [Re: G Hanold]
PocketJax Offline
trapper

Loc: Ohio
Well I went to precautions because I knew I was dealing with an educated rat. Since then, I've typically used latex gloves in setting for them. Maybe not necessary but it can't hurt.

A good idea when handling traps and the rats because of the nature of them and diseases anyways...

Member OSTA

http://www.facebook.com/AandJWildlifeControl

#3127122 - 04/18/12 09:48 PM Re: Norway Rat [Re: G Hanold]
G Hanold Offline
trapper

Right now traps are pulled. Corporate execs came in and it wouldn't look good having traps everywhere. I'm resetting this Sat. morning. I keep trying to figure how to set a foothold somewhere. All the trapping is taking place on a concrete floor. Finding a place where pallets aren't being moved or an employee working nearby is the tough part. Talking to WCS they were really recomending Detour gel, saying that the burning sensation it gives the rat will make it leave the safety of the insulation and more likely to enter a trap. Anyone have any experience with the stuff?

Trapping &
Removal of
Animal
Pests

#3127157 - 04/18/12 10:12 PM Re: Norway Rat [Re: G Hanold]
bushytail Offline
trapper

Loc: Iowa
Never heard of Detour gel , care to tell us more ?

#3127270 - 04/19/12 02:19 AM Re: Norway Rat [Re: G Hanold]
G Hanold Offline
trapper

From what I was told, it's basically like pepper spray in a caulking tube. Put it in openings and passages and it will act like it's on fire and be more likely to run into a trap for cover.

Trapping &
Removal of
Animal
Pests

#3129955 - 04/21/12 07:54 AM Re: Norway Rat [Re: G Hanold]
coosa Offline
trapper

Loc: GA
Had a smart one last year that finally fell for a bread and sardine ball.

#3137481 - 04/26/12 10:58 PM Re: Norway Rat [Re: G Hanold]
G Hanold Offline
trapper

Well, the Detour finally came in. Despite the labelling telling me not to I had to find out. I did the entire application of this stuff with a dab of it on the back of my hand. I hope it irritates the rats skin more than it did mine. At most I felt a slight warmth, but will see, it may tear rat up. Looking at the label, it's made by Pigeonx, probably the same stuff. White pepper and mineral oil.

Trapping &
Removal of
Animal
Pests

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2