Young Trappers Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~Trapperman.com Live

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar

Photo Gallery~Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulator Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Topic Options
Hop to:
#3123875 - 04/16/12 06:53 PM Common dirt hole set, (PICS)
Rattlesnake kid Offline
trapper

Loc: Sweeney Creek, MT
This is the way I've learned how to make a dirt hole set! For you beginners that would like to get into trapping, or you water trappers that would like to try some land trapping!

Dig a hole roughly 10"-in, in the ground, (HINT) dig it right in front of something or move and/or plant something in the back of it so the critter wont want to come to the back!

Dig your trap bed deep enough down so that your trap will set even with the ground! (HINT) I like to dig the edge of the bed about five inch's away from my hole!

Place your trap into the it's bed were the dog is pointing at the hole!

Cover your trap with just enough dirt so that none of you trap shows, and get it as flat as possible! (HINT) I like to make a fake little foot print right were my trap pan is, just to make it look more realistic!

Then I like to put the extra dirt around the trap and places you think necessary so the critter want to come into your set from the easiest angle! Then add the lure of your choice & some urine and you've got my version of a dirt hole set!!!

This set is mostly used to take coyote, fox, badger & bobcat. Hope you enjoy

Kid

Edited by Rattlesnake kid (04/17/12 03:51 PM)

#3124186 - 04/16/12 08:40 PM Re: Common dirt hole set, (PICS) [Re: Rattlesnake kid]
sdtrapper10 Offline
trapper

Loc: sd
i have a question, why the dog placement towards hole not some other direction also how wide? 3-4 in

#3124213 - 04/16/12 08:47 PM Re: Common dirt hole set, (PICS) [Re: Rattlesnake kid]
ray12 Offline
trapper

Loc: Millersburg OH,
Looks good

I have yet to catch a yote but from what i hear coyotes in -our- area would shy away from that much guiding!

Now it might be differant where your at or i might be completely wrong

usually people around here just use a small twig or some grass from the area

Just a thought!

and sdtrapper10

some people put there dob backwards and some put them sideways he puts them facing the hole

Its usually how they started doing it and it became a habbit

if you want to face your dog backwards have at it because it shouldnt affect the trap if you have the trap placement correct!

Check Out

www.GJhunting.com

#3124216 - 04/16/12 08:48 PM Re: Common dirt hole set, (PICS) [Re: Rattlesnake kid]
ray12 Offline
trapper

Loc: Millersburg OH,
and are you using #2 bridgers ??

Check Out

www.GJhunting.com

#3124229 - 04/16/12 08:52 PM Re: Common dirt hole set, (PICS) [Re: Rattlesnake kid]
Rattlesnake kid Offline
trapper

Mostly #3 bridger (but the in the pic it's a #2), I've never had any problems with them shying away from my sets. The reason I put it towered the hole is so the coyote wont step on it and get spooked off.

#3124384 - 04/16/12 10:06 PM Re: Common dirt hole set, (PICS) [Re: Rattlesnake kid]
sdtrapper10 Offline
trapper

Loc: sd
ok thankyou

#3124571 - 04/17/12 01:49 AM Re: Common dirt hole set, (PICS) [Re: Rattlesnake kid]
lbtrapper Offline
trapper

Loc: alaska
Wish I had dirt to work with cry

I work the same set....with snow

#3124760 - 04/17/12 09:14 AM Re: Common dirt hole set, (PICS) [Re: Rattlesnake kid]
Rattlesnake kid Offline
trapper

laugh crazy sorry. I had a good year with no snow this season, last season wasn't like Alaska but we were getting 6 foot drifts, that was hard to work with to me!

#3124979 - 04/17/12 12:21 PM Re: Common dirt hole set, (PICS) [Re: Rattlesnake kid]
2poor Offline

Loc: Lake Mille Lacs , MN
Good Post !

I also feel there is to much guiding for Midwest Coyote's , but it looks like an excellent Cat set that will see K9 attention.

I like to leave a very slight depression where I have my pan when strictly targeting K9. Some animals will prefer to step on a slightly raised spot.

Some K9 shy away from a backing they can not see over so also keep this in mind. Location of the country can have an effect on this.

In my country an animal like a Red Fox seems cautious to work a set he can not see over while approaching a dirt hole. A Coyote who makes a living in Wolf country is nearly always paranoid of approaching a set with a high backing, or a dirt hole against a tree for instance.

A Gray Fox or Fisher a lot less though, as they seem more bold and less paranoid. In fact both animals will jump on the backing , if the mood strikes them.

It is a lazy man that can't find his wife a second job !

http://mooseriverlures.com/

#3125031 - 04/17/12 12:58 PM Re: Common dirt hole set, (PICS) [Re: Rattlesnake kid]
Rattlesnake kid Offline
trapper

IYO do you think it's good for coyote? It worked for me.

Edited by Rattlesnake kid (04/17/12 01:38 PM)

#3125066 - 04/17/12 01:34 PM Re: Common dirt hole set, (PICS) [Re: Rattlesnake kid]
Asa Lenon Offline
trapper

Loc: Gulliver, Michigan
2 Poor offered some EXCELLENT and important points!

#3125202 - 04/17/12 03:29 PM Re: Common dirt hole set, (PICS) [Re: Asa Lenon]
tmrschessie Offline

Loc: South Central Nebraska age 64
Originally Posted By: Asa Lenon
2 Poor offered some EXCELLENT and important points!

X2 I also have the trap pan slightly below ground level. Once the foot is committed you will have a firm hold on the target critter. Tom

#3125207 - 04/17/12 03:32 PM Re: Common dirt hole set, (PICS) [Re: Rattlesnake kid]
tmrschessie Offline

Loc: South Central Nebraska age 64
Originally Posted By: Rattlesnake kid
This is the way I've learned how to make a dirt hole set! For you beginners that would like to get into trapping, or you water trappers that would like to try some land trapping!

Dig a hole roughly 10"-in, in the ground, (HINT) dig it right in front of something or move and/or plant something in the back of it so the critter wont want to come to the back!

Dig your trap bed deep enough down so that your trap will set even with the ground! (HINT) I like to dig the edge of the bed about five inch's away from my hole!

Place your trap into the it's bed were the dog is pointing at the hole!

Cover your trap with just enough dirt so that none of you trap shows, and get it as flat as possible! (HINT) I like to make a fake little foot print right were my trap pan is, just to make it look more realistic!

Then I like to put the extra dirt around the trap and places you think necessary so the critter want to come into your set from the easiest angle! Then add the lure of your choice & some urine and you've got my version of a dirt hole set!!!

This set is mostly used to take coyote, fox, badger & bobcat. Hope you enjoy

Kid

P.S. If you happened to think yours is better please don't post it here! Send me a pm if you must tell me yours is better!!!!!

That is something you can request but is not used on an open forum.

#3125226 - 04/17/12 03:51 PM Re: Common dirt hole set, (PICS) [Re: Rattlesnake kid]
Rattlesnake kid Offline
trapper

Okay

Moderator:  2poor, Bogmaster, tmrschessie