Wilderness Trapping and Living

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Dobbins' Catalog~

Trading Post
(Please support Fur Country Lures, our sponsor for the Wilderness Forum)

Alaska Trappers Association

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Hop to:
#3123761 - 04/16/12 06:02 PM Spring Beaver anyone doing it?
Family Trapper Offline
trapper

Loc: Homer, Alaska
Curious. Is anyone putting any serious effort into baited conibears this spring? Curious of the catch ratio.
So if a person gets spring beaver when should you sell? Fall sale or wait until the next winter sale? Curious.

#3123786 - 04/16/12 06:16 PM Re: Spring Beaver anyone doing it? [Re: Family Trapper]
Top Jimmy Offline
"Assistant Speling Zcar"

Loc: Alaska, USA
And by spring I am thinking you mean after ice out? I am not doing spring beaver this year. Going to give them a rest. When I have done it, I have never used baited conibears. Footholds at caster mounds on drowners and 330's in runs is all I have used. I have never sold them through the auctions. Can get a better price tanned and selling local. Only thing I have ever sent on beaver to the auction was extra castor that I didn't sell local or use personally. If you were to send beaver in, I would guess it would either have to go to FHA or wait until the fall sale and hold them over.

-TJ

#3123791 - 04/16/12 06:21 PM Re: Spring Beaver anyone doing it? [Re: Family Trapper]
northway Offline
trapper

Loc: Tok, Alaska
I will be setting and shooting. Soon as the ice goes out! This coming week or next!

#3123796 - 04/16/12 06:23 PM Re: Spring Beaver anyone doing it? [Re: Family Trapper]
Kusko Offline
"Mr. Mayor"

Loc: Bethel, AK
I'll shoot and trap a few during our logging trip, but I doubt I will be on a big trip this year. We had TOO many cold days, broken pipes, etc and that has extended our school year.

www.alaskafinandfur.com

#3123816 - 04/16/12 06:34 PM Re: Spring Beaver anyone doing it? [Re: Family Trapper]
Family Trapper Offline
trapper

Okay late winter beaver. ;0) Through the ice. April beaver was my thought. I am wondering how hungry they would be for under ice bait when it is that late. The ice is still tight out west in early April. Nice conditions and lots of daylight. I am thinking the fur would be at its best for shearing and would do well at the auction. I am thinking beaver prices are on the rise. Maybe some thing to think about and plan for next April. Might take a few this spring on my trip out west to see how they do.

Edited by Family Trapper (04/16/12 06:36 PM)

#3123842 - 04/16/12 06:41 PM Re: Spring Beaver anyone doing it? [Re: Family Trapper]
Boco Offline
trapper

Loc: james bay frontierOnt.
Late winter ice on beaver trapping is some of the most productive in this area due to easy travelling in the bush on the crust,prime fur and ease of harvest.This year however we had an extremely early ice out and had to quit early march.March is usually the productive time here for this type of trapping but everything was a month early here this year.

#3123954 - 04/16/12 07:20 PM Re: Spring Beaver anyone doing it? [Re: Family Trapper]
Family Trapper Offline
trapper

wow Boco Sounds like were just the opposite. At least out west where I trap we could easily be doing under ice beaver into the first two weeks of April. Man they have to be hungry by then.

#3123955 - 04/16/12 07:20 PM Re: Spring Beaver anyone doing it? [Re: Boco]
Tundra 300 Offline
trapper

Loc: Northern Alberta
Sure plan on it, headin out for a week of beaver huntin, trail clearing, cabin fixing fun.
Hopimg the ice will be out of the sloughs and creeks by months end.
Set up poles for next years marten boxes, build some bridges, just can't wait....

Edited by Tundra 300 (04/16/12 07:21 PM)

#3124096 - 04/16/12 08:13 PM Re: Spring Beaver anyone doing it? [Re: Family Trapper]
Family Trapper Offline
trapper

I never made a push on spring beaver only Dec. Hopefully prices will climb enough to make it worth while in the future. Enough of them to keep a guy busy. What am I thinking. crazy Don't mind the work catching them. It is the put up that gets me.

#3124098 - 04/16/12 08:13 PM Re: Spring Beaver anyone doing it? [Re: Family Trapper]
Family Trapper Offline
trapper

Wheres Dirt he was going to go after some spring beaver. But he is out chopping as we speak.

#3124151 - 04/16/12 08:30 PM Re: Spring Beaver anyone doing it? [Re: Family Trapper]
Kusko Offline
"Mr. Mayor"

Loc: Bethel, AK
It's sad when you can get the same money for fox as you can for beaver (at the auction). Heck of a lot less work too.

www.alaskafinandfur.com

#3124252 - 04/16/12 09:02 PM Re: Spring Beaver anyone doing it? [Re: Family Trapper]
Family Trapper Offline
trapper

Got that right. But at least beaver are still good in April unlike fox. Just a season extender if you have them around.

#3124400 - 04/16/12 10:14 PM Re: Spring Beaver anyone doing it? [Re: Family Trapper]
Trapper_243 Offline
trapper

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
I'm gonna try some spring beaver this year. Gonna go stay at my cabin and take the girlfriend along and show here how to trap skin flesh and dry a beaver as well just waiting for the creek to open up.

#3124477 - 04/16/12 10:47 PM Re: Spring Beaver anyone doing it? [Re: Family Trapper]
HFT AK Offline
trapper

Loc: Wasilla AK
Yep, waiting for things to open up!

#3125309 - 04/17/12 04:50 PM Re: Spring Beaver anyone doing it? [Re: Family Trapper]
Outdoors_Man Offline
trapper

Loc: Alaska
I set one 280 on a beaver dam. hope i will get my first beaver.

#3125535 - 04/17/12 07:22 PM Re: Spring Beaver anyone doing it? [Re: HFT AK]
lbtrapper Offline
trapper

Loc: alaska
Originally Posted By: HFT AK
Yep, waiting for things to open up!

Right there with ya HFT

#3125889 - 04/17/12 10:38 PM Re: Spring Beaver anyone doing it? [Re: Family Trapper]
AKtrapper26 Offline
trapper

Loc: Russian Mission, Alaska
I have heard several times this month, Len, about somebody using the wrong stick for a snare pole/support and having it chewed. The general consensus from those I have talked to with traps out is that they are surely getting hungry. I don't know what kind of poles the individuals used so can't say myself. I have gotten one Springer thus far on the peeled stick with two holes drilled through it set...but I have been going smaller than small scale this year with the new little guy and that was the only beaver trap I had set. good for catch ratios smile

BEAUTIFUL weather so far though as you mentioned above, and still decent conditions considering its been near fifty and sunny for a while now. Wish I could hang a bunch of 330's but just won't have the time....

...as a side note, we were still able to find ice deeper than our auger (with extension) on our last pike outing....

Edited by AKtrapper26 (04/17/12 10:42 PM)

#3125898 - 04/17/12 10:45 PM Re: Spring Beaver anyone doing it? [Re: Family Trapper]
Family Trapper Offline
trapper

Won't be long and that little guy will be on the line with you. Oh I so remember those days. Don't wait and get some fur tanned to sew up the clothing for him when he is young. Can't buy clothing that will keep them warm when that small. Parka, hats and mukluks were the real key to getting my son out for some serious line travel when he was very young. Age 3 and up.

#3129246 - 04/20/12 04:31 PM Re: Spring Beaver anyone doing it? [Re: Family Trapper]
rosscoak Offline
trapper

Loc: Southeast, AK
Caught these toads the other day......sure is alot of work packing them out. Has anyone tried pressure washing for fleshing??? Saw a native pressure washing some sea otter the other day.

#3131503 - 04/22/12 02:35 PM Re: Spring Beaver anyone doing it? [Re: Family Trapper]
trappin moose Offline
trapper

Loc: Saskatchewan Canada
Nice! I am out there now as well. It is picking up now as our ice is finally going out and not freezing at nights. They are starting to really get active.
I would be interested in that pressure washer fleshing rosscoak. Now I may have to try it. I've done 47 over my knee this year, and I am getting faster every year, but I bet that would work with the right set up. Maybe board them green and flesh on the board? I am trying to picture this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >