Wilderness Trapping and Living

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Dobbins' Catalog~

Trading Post
(Please support Fur Country Lures, our sponsor for the Wilderness Forum)

Alaska Trappers Association

Topic Options
Hop to:
#3108532 - 04/05/12 11:27 PM People dispatching your animals.
lbtrapper Offline
trapper

Loc: alaska
Thoughts on this? Someone walked down my rat line today and shot the rats in shallow water that were in stoplosses. It wouldnt of been to bad but he looked to be using a 22 mag size rifle. The guy left me a note quoting
"Took care of the muskrats that were alive, thought I would let you know"

Little ticked off, but the guy didn't know he was doing anything wrong. First time for me, anyone else?

#3108549 - 04/05/12 11:41 PM Re: People dispatching your animals. [Re: lbtrapper]
Akmike84 Offline
trapper

Loc: Alaska
I've had similar things happen with fox and lynx in traps. Generally with those I'm just happy they're still there, sure better than them taking the critter too. LOL. Never had anyone mess with rats though, not much room for a 22 mag on a muskrat.
Mike

#3108555 - 04/05/12 11:46 PM Re: People dispatching your animals. [Re: lbtrapper]
HFT AK Online   content
trapper

Loc: Wasilla AK
I'd be calling the troopers.

#3108557 - 04/05/12 11:47 PM Re: People dispatching your animals. [Re: lbtrapper]
AKTrapping907 Offline
trapper

Loc: Southeast, Alaska
Game cam. That's kinda eery having someone walking your line for you.

Edited by AKTrapping907 (04/05/12 11:50 PM)

#3108558 - 04/05/12 11:50 PM Re: People dispatching your animals. [Re: lbtrapper]
Nunamiut Offline
trapper

In our area if an animal is caught by the toes and is very likely to escape, then it is ok to dispatch for somebody else. But, if it is a good high catch then we just let them know when we get home.

#3108570 - 04/06/12 12:10 AM Re: People dispatching your animals. [Re: lbtrapper]
Kusko Offline
"Mr. Mayor"

Loc: Bethel, AK
In our area, if someone dispatches a critter for you, they usually hang it in a tree for us if possible.

www.alaskafinandfur.com

#3108579 - 04/06/12 12:26 AM Re: People dispatching your animals. [Re: lbtrapper]
Kirk Howes Offline
trapper

Loc: Montana
At least they left the fur and traps.
Maybe leave a sign saying please do not shoot my catches?

If people are good only because they fear punishment, and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.

#3108582 - 04/06/12 12:27 AM Re: People dispatching your animals. [Re: lbtrapper]
Kirk Howes Offline
trapper

Loc: Montana
Don't worry the rats can't read.

If people are good only because they fear punishment, and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.

#3108633 - 04/06/12 02:22 AM Re: People dispatching your animals. [Re: lbtrapper]
lbtrapper Offline
trapper

I wrote on the note Asking to please not shoot anymore and my number.. Hopefully it was a one time deal

#3108953 - 04/06/12 09:27 AM Re: People dispatching your animals. [Re: lbtrapper]
Cougartail
Unregistered

Find him...educate him.....and have a pro trapping friend....

[Please excuse my language... I'm an idiot] him off and he could have an "anti enemy"....which we don't need.

His intent was good so take the loss even though it's a bummer....

#3108996 - 04/06/12 10:05 AM Re: People dispatching your animals. [Re: lbtrapper]
drasselt Offline
trapper

Loc: Alaska
Yes I agree with the comments above regarding the 'friendly and helpful' dispatch assistance but my guess is the guy went down to hunt rats and used yours for target practice, maybe out of envy. One way or another I would make it clear that he is out of line and the troopers will be called if it happens again.

#3109057 - 04/06/12 10:55 AM Re: People dispatching your animals. [Re: lbtrapper]
TheFurTrapper Offline
trapper

Loc: Manitoba, Canada
As you said, sometimes it's a good thing. If only people knew they could just bash the rats on the head to kill em. I had to dispatch a guys beaver about 4 years ago. It was WALKING on dry land with an MB-750 on its hind foot. Walked up as close as possible and .22 LR right behind the ear. Never even exited.

#3112212 - 04/08/12 03:28 PM Re: People dispatching your animals. [Re: lbtrapper]
KawTrapper Offline
trapper

Loc: Nebraska
Had a coyote... with a fist sized hole in it! Just a gift from the local deer hunters...how sweet!

#3120334 - 04/14/12 10:03 AM Re: People dispatching your animals. [Re: lbtrapper]
coydog2 Offline
trapper

Loc: Iowa
When I use to trap in MA and I was trapping along side of one guy that I was trapping near to . That we had a talk that who ever got out there first and see the orthers trap with a live rat or what ever will kill it for them but we just use 22lgs not mags . We did jnot want the orther to lost or have the animal alive longer then they should be in the trap . We never had a problem with each orther. Always look out for each orther when we trap near each orther. But I know not every one is like that and they do worst and I have orthers that have . Talk with the person and go from there.

Edited by otterman (04/14/12 10:12 PM)
Edit Reason: dispatch rules

#3121202 - 04/14/12 10:02 PM Re: People dispatching your animals. [Re: lbtrapper]
POWER SNARER Offline
trapper

Loc: Manitoba Canada
its in manitoba rules that if you find an alive animal in a trap you must dispatch it immediately, is it the same there

#3121360 - 04/15/12 12:08 AM Re: People dispatching your animals. [Re: lbtrapper]
yukon254 Online   content
trapper

Loc: Yukon
Thankfully the chances of someone else being on my line in the first place is about as good as me winning the lotto..... and I dont buy tickets smile Wouldnt like trapping around others.

#3121365 - 04/15/12 12:24 AM Re: People dispatching your animals. [Re: lbtrapper]
FishinHank Offline
trapper

Loc: PWS, AK
Originally Posted By: yukon254
Thankfully the chances of someone else being on my line in the first place is about as good as me winning the lotto..... and I dont buy tickets smile Wouldnt like trapping around others.

Same here. I would have been seriously surprised if we saw another person anywhere near our line.

#3121480 - 04/15/12 07:27 AM Re: People dispatching your animals. [Re: ]
Dr. Beaver Offline
trapper

Loc: NW North Dakota
Originally Posted By: Cougartail
Find him...educate him.....and have a pro trapping friend....

[Please excuse my language... I'm an idiot] him off and he could have an "anti enemy"....which we don't need.

His intent was good so take the loss even though it's a bummer....

Exactly! The guy thought he was doing you a favor...no need to contact the law or get upset with him. I think you've handled it correctly.