Wilderness Trapping and Living

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Dobbins' Catalog~

Trading Post
(Please support Fur Country Lures, our sponsor for the Wilderness Forum)

Alaska Trappers Association

Topic Options
Hop to:
#3120878 - 04/14/12 07:05 PM Wolf help
Trappnguns Offline
trapper

Loc: KTN, AK
Trying to shorten my learning curve here. I will be trapping from a boat and on land. I've got a couple bridger #5's and am going to pick up some sleepycreek 4.5's. Looking at 10ft of chain (what size?) three plus wolf swivels welded, and two shock springs. Most of my sets will be tide pool sets with up to 30+ lbs of drag. Rotted meat/guts for bait (hopefully I can connect on a goat and a few deer early.) On tidepool sets are the traps exposed?

ideally on my sets I will be able to snare the paths to and from the beach. 1/8th cable seems LARGE to me. What is the consensus in the Southeast? What locks? Kill springs? Anyone in Ketch got any area specific advice? Places to stay away from?

Thanks!

Oh yeah... For fox snares I have used the setup ala HFT with the #9 wire as the anchor and part of the snare itself. Will that work for wolf?

Edited by Trappnguns (04/14/12 07:08 PM)

#3120882 - 04/14/12 07:11 PM Re: Wolf help [Re: Trappnguns]
alaska viking Offline
trapper

Loc: juneau, alaska
You must be re-locating. No wolves on Kodiak.

#3121412 - 04/15/12 05:55 AM Re: Wolf help [Re: Trappnguns]
Trappnguns Offline
trapper

Loc: KTN, AK
grin 63 days till I move. Not that I'm counting!

#3121763 - 04/15/12 10:45 AM Re: Wolf help [Re: Trappnguns]
otterman Offline

Loc: SW Alaska
My wolf snares are all 6-8 ft of #9 wire swagged to the cable I have used both 1/8 and 3/32 cable and actually caught more on the 1/8 inch with either Sure Locks or Thompsons locks

#3121959 - 04/15/12 01:17 PM Re: Wolf help [Re: Trappnguns]
waggler Offline
trapper

Loc: Alaska and Washington State
Don't expect really big wolves, and don't expect nice fur quality. Figure on making mainly tide-pool sets, or a combination of a tide-pool set/water set just below where the creeks meet the high tide line. Find a native person to get some seal meat from, and be sure to get documentation from them showing the chain of custudy. Rot down the seal and bury it under boulders in your water sets, a deer antler poking out of the boulder pile is a good visual attractor too. You don't want too much visual stuff though or you'll attract eagles and ravens.

Edited by waggler (04/16/12 10:00 AM)