Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support our sponsors for the Strictly Trapping Page - Trappers Post

Page 7 of 13 < 1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 12 13 >
Topic Options
Hop to:
#3066744 - 03/09/12 09:30 PM Re: Good beaver traps begin at.... [Re: Pinebear]
JBR Offline
trapper

Loc: West Central GA
Originally Posted By: Pinebear
Snares for me. I don't mind them sitting there waiting for me, I get to have a little small talk with it in that lonely swamp. Stakes, hammer, snares, castor and some hunks of #9 wire in the backpack and I'm off. 330s are heavy to carry and if ya miss them they're spooked and educated. Footholds are heavy too and drowning rigs aren't always feasible and take a while to set up. Snares set up real fast and if I miss one I know I'll have him in a day or two rather than knowing I spooked one and may never catch it. A beaver sitting on the bank doesn't spook other beavers either like a dead one might. Twice this year I saw another beaver swim away from near a snared one when I arrived and caught that one the next night. I think one caught in a snare actually brings others to it so I set up another snare 15' away and sometimes catch both momma and poppa same night. [img:center]http://[/img]

same here. Snares for me.

JBR
"Catch for us the foxes, the little foxes that ruin the vineyards, our vineyards that are in bloom." Song of Solomon 2:15

#3067782 - 03/10/12 02:33 PM Re: Good beaver traps begin at.... [Re: LT GREY]
LT GREY Offline
trapper

Loc: Central Ohio
Blak Spot...how long was your chain and how many double swivels did you have in that chain ?

#3067800 - 03/10/12 02:47 PM Re: Good beaver traps begin at.... [Re: Warmutt]
LT GREY Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: Warmutt
LT GREY, I'm trying to visualize your set up. How, with your long chain method, do you keep beaver from wrapping themselves around every bit of brush and tall grass on the bank or snags out in the water? I'm new, so I'm just asking. Not challenging you as it obviously has worked well or I assume you'd find a better way.

Originally Posted By: Warmutt
LT GREY, I'm trying to visualize your set up. How, with your long chain method, do you keep beaver from wrapping themselves around every bit of brush and tall grass on the bank or snags out in the water? I'm new, so I'm just asking. Not challenging you as it obviously has worked well or I assume you'd find a better way.

Well, first of all a live beaver, that could be relocated is far better than a dead one in many peoples, (that are non trappers or anti's) eyes.
This is the reason cage traps like the Hancock and other SUITCASE STYLE traps, as well as the new ones from Kirk De and Comstock are the NEW way to handle nuisance beaver in urban and suburban areas.
Now, if you dispatch that beaver out of sight of the public, well that's your choice...and in many states, could be the LAW.
But removing the live beaver could be a bonus over a dead one to many nosey people...

Now to answer Warmutt...you pick the right bank that does not have entanglement...the chain on my traps is about 15-18 foot long and is HEAVILY swiveled . I have used as short as 8 feet of chain with success.

#3068470 - 03/10/12 08:55 PM Re: Good beaver traps begin at.... [Re: LT GREY]
the Blak Spot Offline
trapper

Loc: central arkansas
Originally Posted By: LT GREY
Blak Spot...how long was your chain and how many double swivels did you have in that chain ?

About 12-15" of chain. Center swiveled at base, one mid chain swivel, one swivel at the drown lock

member NTA, NRA, SWARFTA, EAFT

1776 - the year we told a tyrant we weren't to be under a dictator

#3068690 - 03/10/12 10:52 PM Re: Good beaver traps begin at.... [Re: LT GREY]
Carcat Offline
trapper

Loc: Upstate, S.C.
Just finished watching Newt's Beaver Snaring DVD. He has some interesting ideas on this subject! Anyone tried his drowning weight method?

#3069496 - 03/11/12 01:54 PM Re: Good beaver traps begin at.... [Re: LT GREY]
G-Trapper Offline
trapper

Loc: north west missouri
i have a dumb ? can some post a pic of beaver tracks thanks

#3069676 - 03/11/12 04:29 PM Re: Good beaver traps begin at.... [Re: LT GREY]
Kirk De Offline
trapper

Loc: Georgia
With a cage trap you can set pipes and let non targets go. It is no longer otter season now.

With cage traps you can set streams where there are cattle and not worry about catching one with a 330

In this picture I have a long cable with a foot hold on dam. Have one snare, three 330,s on runs and if you look close there is a cage trap in the middle of the picture in the back.My conibears are in the runs to the left of the picture. Been catching beaver in the runs when they go to get debre to patch dam. The cage trap was set where it was because of two mounds by there where the beaver would climb up on to groom themselves.

Caught 4 in the 330,s, two in the cage trap and none in the others.

This morning at another location I set a snare and a cage trap on a run coming to a cross drain by the road. The cage was first,(farthest away from dam) and a snare in a gap about 30' from the road. Had two beaver. The snare I thought might be hit by a turtle and I thought I would catch one in the cage trap. I got one in both.

Would post video of catches ,but might get zapped for advertising.

I think this is what I was referring to and I believe LT was. Some situations might be different.

Edited by Kirk De (03/11/12 04:58 PM)
Edit Reason: more info

#3086161 - 03/22/12 08:39 AM Re: Good beaver traps begin at.... [Re: LT GREY]
waggler Offline
trapper

Loc: Alaska and Washington State
For long spring traps, the #48 Newhouse is hands-down the best beaver and otter trap ever made, imo.

#3119926 - 04/13/12 09:54 PM Re: Good beaver traps begin at.... [Re: Kirk De]
LT GREY Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: Kirk De
With a cage trap you can set pipes and let non targets go. It is no longer otter season now.

With cage traps you can set streams where there are cattle and not worry about catching one with a 330

In this picture I have a long cable with a foot hold on dam. Have one snare, three 330,s on runs and if you look close there is a cage trap in the middle of the picture in the back.My conibears are in the runs to the left of the picture. Been catching beaver in the runs when they go to get debre to patch dam. The cage trap was set where it was because of two mounds by there where the beaver would climb up on to groom themselves.

Caught 4 in the 330,s, two in the cage trap and none in the others.

I think this is what I was referring to and I believe LT was. Some situations might be different.

Very nice set-up Kirk.

#3120635 - 04/14/12 03:17 PM Re: Good beaver traps begin at.... [Re: LT GREY]
Otter04 Offline
trapper

Loc: Westerlo, New York
no teeth here in new york. mb750 and 330 for me.. anybody ever use cdr's and what do you think ?

#3120697 - 04/14/12 04:21 PM Re: Good beaver traps begin at.... [Re: LT GREY]
LT GREY Offline
trapper

I sold my MB 750's for CDR's.

A better trap, IMO.

#3121824 - 04/15/12 11:21 AM Re: Good beaver traps begin at.... [Re: LT GREY]
Mink Man Offline
trapper

Loc: adirondack foothills, NY
right on otter04, I use the same rig. I have others but I like those two the best.

http://johnsonnuisancetrapping.com/

#3121895 - 04/15/12 12:28 PM Re: Good beaver traps begin at.... [Re: LT GREY]
Ringbill5196 Offline
trapper

Loc: Iron Range, Minnesota
I still can't get the mentioned double thumb catch in a 750 out of my head. I sure home the trap was not secured to the ground! As often as I have caught myself in this first year of trapping, I think sticking to #3 and below awhile is a fine idea.

#3151411 - 05/07/12 11:02 PM Re: Good beaver traps begin at.... [Re: LT GREY]
J_M Offline
trapper

Loc: Minnesota
I have been thinking of picking up some Sleepy Creek 4.5 offsets. I would like to hear if anyone has used them much for beaver. Should I get the offset or standard jaw? I really liked the Sleepy Creek #4's I used this year but had some issues with losing beaver with Duke #5's. I tried long chains this year liked it a lot. I am thinking of laminating the Dukes. Some of my problems were due to me not putting the trap were it needed to be but some left me scratching my head. My water can raise a foot over night in many of my spots. I would like to have enough time and cash to run 3 dozen of everything for a couple years but I don't so I'm kinda hoping I can learn from your experiences. This years spring beaver season left me with more questions than answers.

Thanks for all the help thus far. Thanks for the help in advance for that to come.

#3151848 - 05/08/12 12:22 PM Re: Good beaver traps begin at.... [Re: LT GREY]
Mink Man Offline
trapper

I like the standard jaw 4 1/2 sleepy creek, nice thick jaws. I tried the laminated/offset mb-750s this year, and I must have gotten a toe catch, because something pulled out. The next check I caught two in those traps one alive the other tangled up and drowned. The live one had a red ring on the ankle and I think the beaver was moveing its foot in the offset. Thats just my experience. Sent them back to mtp, wonderful people to do buisness with, they exchanged them for 750 laminated traps and now that is my favorite beaver foothold.

#3151849 - 05/08/12 12:26 PM Re: Good beaver traps begin at.... [Re: LT GREY]
Mink Man Offline
trapper

I see some people like locklear put railroad tie plates on the end of their long chains. I thought about usieng the longchains just to save on setting time and useing my fresh cut wood stakes. Instead of the tie plates, what do you guys think of a can or plastic container wired to the chain with a screw top, so you could fill it with sand and rocks when you get to your sight and save on weight, especially for the back woods adirondack trappers. I am useing drowners with wood stakes holding the deep ends when I am in areas where bricks and feed sacks are not an option and like it but I am wondering wich would be quicker, a better for wilderness trapping, on extended checks.

#3151936 - 05/08/12 02:25 PM Re: Good beaver traps begin at.... [Re: LT GREY]
J_M Offline
trapper

Thanks mink man that is the type of info I am looking for. Do you use lamination because law says you have to or because you prefer to?

#3151944 - 05/08/12 02:30 PM Re: Good beaver traps begin at.... [Re: LT GREY]
J_M Offline
trapper

How thick of lamentations would be right for beaver?

#3151958 - 05/08/12 03:00 PM Re: Good beaver traps begin at.... [Re: LT GREY]
LT GREY Offline
trapper

People say you don't need them on beaver...yet, after my first several years,I have always used traps that are laminated.
Mine are 1/4 ".

#3152197 - 05/08/12 06:37 PM Re: Good beaver traps begin at.... [Re: LT GREY]
Mink Man Offline
trapper

mine are about a quarter of an inch as well. There is no requirement but I prefer them, I still used my first mb-750s which had a standard faws and they work , but I recently started useing laminations, because you dont lose beavers, less damage if any, and they hold better. I pinched one by the pad on the hind foot, literally pinched the skin together and drowned it on a wire. That really bought me on laminations.

Page 7 of 13 < 1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 12 13 >

Moderator:  Drifter, tmrschessie