Wilderness Trapping and Living

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Dobbins' Catalog~

Trading Post
(Please support Fur Country Lures, our sponsor for the Wilderness Forum)

Alaska Trappers Association

Page 8 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Topic Options
Hop to:
#3127262 - 04/19/12 01:20 AM Re: Wolf kills, slaughter in the snow. [Re: Spek Jones]
decoy Offline
trapper

Loc: north Idaho
I'm sure I have posted this before but will gladly do it again:

Kenny asked me to go cat hunting and I turned him down because of where he was going was a tough spot for this ole man but as it turned out I now wish I had been there for the simple reason my son was in a bad spot and I should have been there to protect him, just the way fathers are or should be. Not that he can't handle his self in the woods but.....

Anyway during the hunt he had gained quite a bit elevation in very deep snow following the hounds when all blazes broke loose and he found one hound dead and then found another one dead. Another hound went down the mt. seriously injured. He took the collars off the 2 dead hounds and I believe they had bells on them. In the mean time Kenny had been in contact with his friend who owned the hounds and was on the road at the base of the mt.and he started up the mt. toward Kenny. And now the pack of 5 wolves started circleling Kenny. Sticks and snowballs did not drive them away. Pistol fire finally conviced them to leave but not before Kenny thought he was going to end up look'n like those bloodied dead hounds. He took quick pixs of the dead hounds before the wolves got around him but right now I can't locate them on the putor. I don't know if the collars Ken had attracted the wolves or what but it was a dicee situation that changed the way Kenny hunted for 3-4 years afterwards I can vouch for that and it hurt everytime something triggered his saying "Dad, lets get out of here...NOW" Mainly when we would cow elk call or something similar and wolves would immediately start howling or we would run into fresh wolf turds and or tracks or fresh moose,elk kill. Around the fresh kills would be black, smelly loose stools not turds which made you watch your backside. His face showed fear when this things happened and hurt me deeply. And his mom, my wife of 50 years this month bought her first hunting licence at 68 years of age only because to her the only good wolf was a dead one after how bad they scared Kenny.
Been a couple years back but that's my best remeberance but I will never forget that phone call and not recognizing my son's voice and after knowing who it was all I could think he was trying to tell me was someone had got killed that day and how relived I was when I finally pieced everything together.

All the pinheads upset with Pinchers photo should see the blood around the dead hounds.......

Anyways we always had onesy/twosy wolves around but never the packs and we always had plenty of elk, deer, moose but not any more, what a shame!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#3127581 - 04/19/12 10:42 AM Re: Wolf kills, slaughter in the snow. [Re: Spek Jones]
piperniner Offline
trapper

Loc: Alaska
Thanks for sharing the story D. Also interesting to hear of the game situation - agree with your assessment.

#3127780 - 04/19/12 01:53 PM Re: Wolf kills, slaughter in the snow. [Re: Spek Jones]
Jordan Park Offline
trapper

Loc: Manitoba, Canada
Thanks for the story Decoy.

Glad your Son made it out of there.

#3127873 - 04/19/12 03:29 PM Re: Wolf kills, slaughter in the snow. [Re: Spek Jones]
Boco Offline
trapper

Loc: james bay frontierOnt.
Many times when on my trapline I have doubled back on my trail and have seen where wolves have followed me from a distance stalking so to speak.You will never know they are there.The first couple times I observed this,I got a creepy feeling but now it dosnt bother me at all,thats just the way wolves are.They are very curious animals and want to know what you are up to.They get used to you being there after a while.

#3127923 - 04/19/12 04:00 PM Re: Wolf kills, slaughter in the snow. [Re: Spek Jones]
elktrack Offline
trapper

Loc: North Idaho Panhandle
Decoy, Unfortunately stories like Kenny's are popping up all over our neck of the woods. There are several hound hunters with similar stories. I personally haven't had an encounter like that. I think there was a story in Feild and Stream or Outdoor Life recently about the gal down by Headquarters that shot a big wolf at like 15 feet that was coming at her. Percentage wise there probably isn't much worry about getting eaten but I am not takin any chances. by going unarmed. Shouldn't be unarmed anyway, wolves or not. Hopefully he can get over the trauma by putting some smokin holes in a bunch of wolves.

#3127928 - 04/19/12 04:02 PM Re: Wolf kills, slaughter in the snow. [Re: Spek Jones]
Spek Jones Offline
"FATHER"

Loc: Homer, Alaska
Decoy, sounds like the story could have ended badly if your son had not had a hand gun.
And that's the thing about it, you can get by sometimes for a long time or even a very long
time out in the woods and have no need of a weapon. But eventually, if you are out there
a lot you will see the day when you will either be glad you have a gun, or.. wish like
heck you had one. It only takes one encounter and you can end up maimed for life or
dead, depending on how it plays out. Personally I have more respect for someone that
never goes out without a weapon, than I do of the person that never carries one.

#3127961 - 04/19/12 04:11 PM Re: Wolf kills, slaughter in the snow. [Re: Spek Jones]
elktrack Offline
trapper

Loc: North Idaho Panhandle
Quote:
Decoy, sounds like the story could have ended badly if your son had not had a hand gun.
And that's the thing about it, you can get by sometimes for a long time or even a very long
time out in the woods and have no need of a weapon. But eventually, if you are out there
a lot you will see the day when you will either be glad you have a gun, or.. wish like
heck you had one. It only takes one encounter and you can end up maimed for life or
dead, depending on how it plays out. Personally I have more respect for someone that
never goes out without a weapon, than I do of the person that never carries one.

AMEN!

Same reason you carry a fire extinguisher and jumper cables. When you need it, you NEED it. I have some law enforcement buddies and they will be the first to tell you that they don't carry weapons to protect us, they carry them for SELF protection.

#3128036 - 04/19/12 05:13 PM Re: Wolf kills, slaughter in the snow. [Re: Spek Jones]
Gen2600 Offline
trapper

That's a story that needs heard Decoy, I personally appreciate your telling of it.

For me, being armed in the woods is like this:

I'd rather not need it and have it then need it and not have it...

Ben Cochrum: "I should have packed an axe"

#3129059 - 04/20/12 01:40 PM Re: Wolf kills, slaughter in the snow. [Re: Spek Jones]
Nunamiut Offline
trapper

Loc: alaska
That sounds like a life changing hunt. Once the wolves eat up the all the game, every animal becomes game. Do the F&G do animal counts annually? Sounds like there needs to be a bounty on the critters to control them.

#3129393 - 04/20/12 07:01 PM Re: Wolf kills, slaughter in the snow. [Re: Spek Jones]
SnareLine Offline
trapper

Loc: NY
Wow! Thank you for sharing, sorry to hear about it, and glad he came out ok...

#3135537 - 04/25/12 03:11 PM Re: Wolf kills, slaughter in the snow. [Re: SnareLine]
Spek Jones Offline
"FATHER"

This is an interesting video, happened a couple years ago in Anchorage.

[video:youtube]http://youtu.be/mGXWy3htXgQ[/video]

Edit: (Maybe someone more ept than I can make a clickable link. I can't seem to figure it out)

Edited by Spek Jones (04/25/12 03:35 PM)
Edit Reason: Just dumb I guess

#3135634 - 04/25/12 04:55 PM Re: Wolf kills, slaughter in the snow. [Re: Spek Jones]
Gen2600 Offline
trapper

Well that's odd, we used the media tag button and put in the url, not sure what else we're sposed to do there...

Youtube Video

Edited by Gen2600 (04/25/12 05:44 PM)

Ben Cochrum: "I should have packed an axe"

#3135666 - 04/25/12 05:34 PM Re: Wolf kills, slaughter in the snow. [Re: Spek Jones]
Spek Jones Offline
"FATHER"

That works, thanks Travis.

#3135714 - 04/25/12 06:18 PM Re: Wolf kills, slaughter in the snow. [Re: Spek Jones]
drasselt Offline
trapper

Those women in the video were pretty rattled, can't say as you can blame them. There are a lot fewer moose around here than there used to be I'm guessing because of the toll that pack was taking so what Sinnott says at the end only makes sense in that they would need to eat more dogs since there are fewer moose to be had. A couple years ago while duck hunting in October I found a little bull they had killed.

#3136513 - 04/26/12 11:08 AM Re: Wolf kills, slaughter in the snow. [Re: Spek Jones]
Spek Jones Offline
"FATHER"

Yeah they were rattled, and it's obviously not faked. Pretty traumatic experience for
them. If any one of them had had even a 22 pistol with them there would have been no
problem. A forehead shot at short range would drop one in it's tracks, but even if you
quickly hit a couple of them anyplace on them the whole pack would hightail it out of there. IMO the can of pepper spray gave those women a false sense of security when they
took off on their walk. Maybe being that they were close to a populated area also
contributed to that false security.
But, statisticly speaking they were much more likely to have a confrontation with
a moose on that walk than with a pack of wolves. A 22 would be pretty light weight
defense against a mad moose so IMO at least one of them should have been packing at
least a 357 Mag and been practiced up enough with it so they could hit a moose in the
head at close range. (also Anchorage has it's share of two legged predators as well).

Closing down trails and advising people to stay indoors like Sinnott was found of
doing is just a way of sweeping the problem under the rug and avoiding the issue.
That bandaid will work on that particular trail but the problem will just pop up again on some other trail. To F&G's credit I believe they did send in trappers later to remove
that pack of wolves.

#3136614 - 04/26/12 12:25 PM Re: Wolf kills, slaughter in the snow. [Re: Spek Jones]
Kermit Offline
trapper

Loc: Ontario
Theres stories of elk hunters and bears.Seems the bears know that a rifle shot means a gutpile.Seems out there but not really if you think about it.More and more city people are in the back country.Their basic instincts for survival have been bred out of them.They have a misguided outlook on nature courtesy of the school system.Their survival skills consist of knowing were the next Tim Hortens is.How many city women know that being in the bush with a period is a risky adventure.Next thing you know we will need a licence to get away from civilization.

Page 8 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8