Wilderness Trapping and Living

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar

Photo Gallery~Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulator Forum

~Dobbins' Catalog~

Alaska Trappers Association

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Hop to:
#3117099 - 04/11/12 07:27 PM Re: biting insects [Re: gray dog]
Top Jimmy Offline
"Assistant Speling Zcar"

Loc: Alaska, USA
Mmmmm, I love the tingle of deet on the lips. I think they add some of that to snoose.

-TJ

#3117910 - 04/12/12 10:25 AM Re: biting insects [Re: gray dog]
alaska viking Offline
trapper

Loc: juneau, alaska
I pretty much bathe in Uncle Ben's for a few months a year. It does tingle the lips, and it will damage the finish on a wood stock, but (so far) I haven't had any ill effects.

#3118140 - 04/12/12 02:36 PM Re: biting insects [Re: gray dog]
Kusko Offline
"Mr. Mayor"

Loc: Bethel, AK
AV says at the end of the summer....

"where am I? what's my name??" LOL

www.alaskafinandfur.com

#3118152 - 04/12/12 02:49 PM Re: biting insects [Re: gray dog]
Hupurest Offline
"Andy S wannabe"

Loc: Alaska
Mosquitos don't bite White17 out of respect.

Us lesser folks, well they don't care I guess.

The black flies in the early spring in Adks are nasty. i compare them to a whitesock, no see um... They don't bite, they take chunks of skin away....
But, the whitesocks and no seeums love to wait till you start gutting an animaland then fly into your ear, corner of your eye, and then crawl up and under your sleeves to bite the crap out of you. They are always on the prowl, spring, summer, fall, I mean , june, july and august.

The mosquitoes are horrible however, or can be depending on the year and the area you are in.

I use the white bottle stuff called MAX DEET.... it is 99% deet. anything less isn't even worth applying. The stuff is nasty like mentioned. A friend and I were fishing, he borrowed some sprayed it on his head and wiped it on his face and ears. A few minutes later i hear something fall in the water and then explecitives..... The deet ate the plastic side piece off the sunglasses, and they fell into the water... it will also eat up mono fishing line, synthetic clothes and certain finishes. But that is only so you know it is working.

Sure my skin peels a few days afterwards, but i would rather have that then die from bug bites. Besides, that oily max deet helps aid in tanning, and it gets rid of all that weak skin, leaving behind stronger, tanned, fresh skin.....

and that uncle bens stuff, that is for infants and small children that can't handle the Max Deet yet. It keeps some of the bugs away.

#3118397 - 04/12/12 06:43 PM Re: biting insects [Re: gray dog]
Tradbow1 Offline
trapper

Loc: AK
every lymphnode on my upper boddy swelled up. doc was suprised I made the drive back from fishing that day. Spent two days at basset and 2 days on quarters.... It really jacked me up! Getting my wisdom teeth removed was a cakewalk compared to it.

Everyones body is different...but like all chemicals you absorb through the skin and eventually the body says no more. I can wear regular (off brand is ok) spray but can tell its on...start to break into a sweat if the % is too high. Old age wont kill me...it'll be those dang skeeters sucking me dry by the time I'm whites age wink. about all I spray anymore is the back of my neck. Keeps the tundrawookies off too wink.

I've melted fly lines, all sorts of finishes and the cheaper fabrics (the ones with plastic looking accents).

Just be warned. It could be wd40, break kleene or deet that gets you. Once it does, you're screweed for the rest of your life! That was almost 10 years ago now. The more I'm out (if you havent figured it out, I fish a ton), the more ways I'm trying to NOT put it on.

Bens is also 99.9% (the red/orangish pump bottle anyways). Thanks uncle sam for that one!

mosquito's CAN be horrible? Man alive I need to find new stomping grounds LOL! you should move up here. wink. Hup, you dont need a stepson do you? lol.

#3118636 - 04/12/12 08:47 PM Re: biting insects [Re: gray dog]
alaska viking Offline
trapper

I can say that a quality head net is worth it's weight in gold. We do have serious biting bugs here in south-east, and I have stories of some crazy stuff up the Taku river, as well as a few bays here that harbor insects ad-nauseum. HOWEVER!!! by FAR the worst I ever experienced was on a caribou hunt out of Iilliamna in August. We managed to kill a couple of bulls, and I am not joking. While gutting, my arms were absolutely black with flies. Then the white soxs showed up. On the hump back to camp, the no-see-ums were ferocious! At camp, the mosquitoes were relentless. After lighting off a couple of coils in the tent, we dove for cover. Hid in the bags all night, and awoke to a drone of what I assume were wasps. Tried to brew coffee, even filtering it through game bags, but still had "bug coffee".
At this point, I was wondering why the Mafia ever went to the trouble of concrete boots, when all they had to do was drop a person off on the tundra without bug dope. The guy would either be eaten alive, or simply commit suicide!

#3118819 - 04/12/12 11:30 PM Re: biting insects [Re: gray dog]
Kusko Offline
"Mr. Mayor"

AV, was there a hole in the tent or teeny tiny opening?? Once you light a pic in the tent, the bugs die. I thought it just kept them away, but in actuality, it kills them. Before our clients go to bed, we light a pic about 1/2 hour prior and everything is good to go.

I ask about the hole/opening, because I've been in tents where a dime size hole was left open on the zipper and every darn bug in the Delta knows the way in.

I'm itchy as I write this....

Edited by Kusko (04/12/12 11:31 PM)

www.alaskafinandfur.com

#3118829 - 04/12/12 11:48 PM Re: biting insects [Re: gray dog]
Bushman Offline
trapper

Loc: Alberta
"Northwest Territories is a B**** for mosquitoes also"...Amen Ron

and add in some sand flies - black flies - & bull dogs that stay until the snow flies. When I was a kid a guy got stuck along the shore of great slave lake and started walking. They found him face down dead. He ran from the bugs until he collapsed and died. He was so swollen up that his family couldn't recognize him.

I went back up to the NWT for a couple months last spring/summer. They were as bad as remembered but I didn't loose my resistance, I don't wear much bug spray. It is nice to have a cheap bug shelter in camp that you can burn a coil in and eat in peace. Nothing good about biting bugs. Now down here in the mountains the bugs are a day off.

#3118840 - 04/13/12 12:09 AM Re: biting insects [Re: gray dog]
Boco Offline
trapper

Loc: james bay frontierOnt.
I seen mosquitos here so thick you couldnt see thru the window screen!

#3118873 - 04/13/12 01:56 AM Re: biting insects [Re: gray dog]
Family Trapper Offline
trapper

Loc: Homer, Alaska
Does it still sound fun Gray Dog?
Must have been real hard for the native people in the old days putting up with them.
I remember the Siberian trapper film. They made bug dope by heating a black tar out of the birch bark and mixing it with fish oil for bug dope.

#3119191 - 04/13/12 10:44 AM Re: biting insects [Re: gray dog]
alaska viking Offline
trapper

Yeah,the coils seem to kill most of the tent invaders, but on bad evenings, just the few seconds getting in the tent allowed quite a few in. I made the mistake of forgetting the tent once. I took my now ex brother-in-law on a bear hunt. He was from England, and was in no way prepared for a real backwoods adventure, but his accent and English phrases kept me entertained. Anyway, I had a friend take us to a remote bay in his boat and drop us off for a week long hunt. After watching my buddy's boat disappear from the bay, we started sorting gear, only to find no tent. Uh-Oh. This was in late May, and the bugs were fairly active. All we could do was build a make-shift tent out of a couple tarps we had. Well, after imbibing in spirits, we turned in for a LONG night. I managed to keep my head in the sleeping bag all night, and wasn't any worse for wear. I got up and started making coffee on the stove and building a small fire on the beach. About the time the coffee was ready, I hear loud moaning coming from the tarps, followed by "Bloody h*** mate, they nearly picked me bones!". He came crawling out and when I looked at him, I swear he looked like a grossly swollen cyclops! Both eyes were totally swollen shut, his arms were just hundreds of red bumps, and a lump bigger than a golf ball dead center of the forehead. Figure that was a gift from white socks. Man, that was one long week.

#3119195 - 04/13/12 10:48 AM Re: biting insects [Re: gray dog]
Kusko Offline
"Mr. Mayor"

OMG, that is a funny. You need to write that story and send it off somewhere. I"m still laughing.

www.alaskafinandfur.com

#3119200 - 04/13/12 10:50 AM Re: biting insects [Re: gray dog]
Kusko Offline
"Mr. Mayor"

Still laughing!

www.alaskafinandfur.com

#3119281 - 04/13/12 12:19 PM Re: biting insects [Re: gray dog]
Top Jimmy Offline
"Assistant Speling Zcar"

Ahh, the smell of pics always reminds me of camping as a kid.

I remember one time when we were kids and out camping that the tent had plent of small holes to let the bugs in. We lit a pic to keep them at bay and went to sleep. In the night my brother (not Alaskan) rolled in his sleep and snuffed out the coil. I slept deep in the bag and was safe but he slept with the bag pulled to his eyes and woke up with a line across his forehead where the bugs started to feast on him in his sleep.

-TJ

#3119651 - 04/13/12 06:05 PM Re: biting insects [Re: gray dog]
Tradbow1 Offline
trapper

Tj, you should roomy at the place I rent ...the first year I moved in the blasted skeeters found a way into my mud room between the garage. If you think getting eatin alive in a tent is bad.....try getting accosted in your bed in your own house once. The landlord came over, and over the next couple days we locked the place up tight killed everything we could in the house till we found the hole. We ended up burning a pic in the laundry room kill'm. The one night was rediculous. a few still get in, be it the front door, garage door, somewhere. But nothing like that year. The house smelled like a pic for most of the summer LOL.

there's no way to be prepared for the blasted things. 2001 we did a fly out for bou on the slope. All of us had nets, but for some reason none of us carried them. Finally found some bulls and I managed to shoot one. We were a few miles from camp when they came....2 of the guys went running for the raft leaving me and my partner getn eatn alive. Skeeters aint bad compared to those blasted things. Its like thousands of mini horse flies with scalpels for teeth. Have never left a head net behind since lol!

#3119828 - 04/13/12 08:33 PM Re: biting insects [Re: gray dog]
Top Jimmy Offline
"Assistant Speling Zcar"

It is always the one lone mosquito that makes it in the house in the summer that will keep me up all night trying to find it. Just as you go to sleep, you can hear it buzzing around in the room. If I could only light a pic in the house, but the wife frowns on that. smile

-TJ

#3120192 - 04/14/12 07:26 AM Re: biting insects [Re: gray dog]
Tradbow1 Offline
trapper

It was hundreds. The laundry room was loaded. My bedroom never stopped buzzing. Same deal wake up chewed to pieces...... That's IF u slept lol.

#3120233 - 04/14/12 08:14 AM Re: biting insects [Re: gray dog]
mad_mike Offline
trapper

Loc: Podunk, Alaska
SE Ak bug season is May to September. We start with large mosquitos followed by white socks and horseflies. White socks tear you up the worst with their bite. I have seen people with eyes swollen shut and sporting huge lumps from being feasted upon. The bite will often turn to a bruise after the swelling subsides. As bad as white socks are nothing compares to the little brown gnats on the slope we encountered while hunting bou. The sheer numbers and their bite are burned forever in my memory. I agree with what others have said in this thread, the only downside to summer here is the bugs.

#3120465 - 04/14/12 12:21 PM Re: biting insects [Re: gray dog]
yukonjeff Offline
trapper

Loc: M.T.V. Alaska
Pic dont work and only makes bugs dizzy.
if you want to drop them out of the sky get some Buhach and smoke a bowl of that before bed and sleep in peace smile

#3122922 - 04/16/12 02:00 AM Re: biting insects [Re: gray dog]
Aknative Offline
trapper

Loc: Fairbanks AK
Dam Mosquitos nearly carried off one of my wife's chihuahuas, had to empty both barrels into the cloud.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >