Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support our sponsors for the Strictly Trapping Page - Trappers Post

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
Hop to:
#3103325 - 04/02/12 09:19 PM Re: Clint Locklear's "tiny-trap rant" [Re: Hover-Lover]
LT GREY Offline
trapper

Loc: Central Ohio
You just need to tighten your pan tension !!!!!!!

#3103697 - 04/03/12 04:34 AM Re: Clint Locklear's "tiny-trap rant" [Re: lbtrapper]
Young Pup Offline
trapper

Loc: NY
I'm probably one of few that cuts my pan down on my 1.75. I know that I have to guide more. I also know that means if I guide too much I may spook a coyote or fox. I know its possible for a grey fox to step beyween the pan and the jaw and possibly not get caught. I Know on certain sets it's I don't need to. But I also know this helps coyote to puts thier foot more into the trap, if they step on the jaw and the pan at the same time. In NY we are restricted on our jaw size. It works for me, so I will keep doing it. And yes you will have to learn to guide better.
Originally Posted By: lbtrapper
Here's something for thought...

On my cat traps I actually cut the pans down. Like quite a few AK guys do.
The reason for this is toe catches.. My thought on bigger pans is that there is a much higher chance of toes getting pinched.

This is just me

I'd like to hear a little talk on that right there. Given, with good trap placement bigger pans could make a huge difference. A lot of guys/gals arent great when it come to trap placement.

#3103774 - 04/03/12 07:04 AM Re: Clint Locklear's "tiny-trap rant" [Re: Hover-Lover]
Dale Torma Offline
trapper

Loc: Northern MN
One of Minnesota's best known, old time wolf trappers, Buck Snyder (Long Deceased) used to build his own traps, with some Newhouse parts. He used a tiny dogless pan, maybe I can find pictures of one. since he is long deceased, can't know exactly his reasoning, can only speculate.

His traps and lure are rare collectors items.

I am not disagreeing with Clint on this, he is not your average trapper and he's a real innovator, knows what maximizes his results.

Just offering Bucks example as food for thought on pan size.

I just searched for images useing "Buck Snyder wolf trap" and found some good images on Tom Parrs site, but it wouldn't let me post the pics. Do a similar search if you want to see them. They were very large traps, with a very small pan.

#3103877 - 04/03/12 09:05 AM Re: Clint Locklear's "tiny-trap rant" [Re: LT GREY]
CLT Offline
trapper

Loc: st. lawrence county ny
Originally Posted By: LT GREY
You just need to tighten your pan tension !!!!!!!

You are peeing into the wind with that one.LOL
You can't convince some no matter how hard you try or whatever logical reasons you give.They except the snapped and empty traps as part of the game.They evidently don't mind missing animals...LOL

#3103955 - 04/03/12 09:55 AM Re: Clint Locklear's "tiny-trap rant" [Re: Hover-Lover]
LT GREY Offline
trapper

laugh

#3110323 - 04/07/12 06:44 AM Re: Clint Locklear's "tiny-trap rant" [Re: Dale Torma]
aprophet Offline
trapper

Loc: Portsmouth Va.
Originally Posted By: Dale T
One of Minnesota's best known, old time wolf trappers, Buck Snyder (Long Deceased) used to build his own traps, with some Newhouse parts. He used a tiny dogless pan, maybe I can find pictures of one. since he is long deceased, can't know exactly his reasoning, can only speculate.

His traps and lure are rare collectors items.

I am not disagreeing with Clint on this, he is not your average trapper and he's a real innovator, knows what maximizes his results.

Just offering Bucks example as food for thought on pan size.

I just searched for images useing "Buck Snyder wolf trap" and found some good images on Tom Parrs site, but it wouldn't let me post the pics. Do a similar search if you want to see them. They were very large traps, with a very small pan.

same reason a lot of guys put smaller pans on most foot holds when I was a kid it centers the animals foot in the trap better you just have to hone your trap placement skills with this style of trapping which ain't that hard to do smile just practice is all smile

Molan Labe

Venari Vastantium

#3110457 - 04/07/12 08:52 AM Re: Clint Locklear's "tiny-trap rant" [Re: Hover-Lover]
CLT Offline
trapper

aprophet,most guys complain they can't get them to step on a standard pan let alone one cut in half.LOL

#3111404 - 04/07/12 09:58 PM Re: Clint Locklear's "tiny-trap rant" [Re: Hover-Lover]
RiversNorth13 Offline
trapper

Loc: Gitche Gumee Wisconsin
Dale T,from Toms site.

Buck Snyder was born in 1896, in Tornio, Finland. He came to America at an early age and was never sure how he got the last name Snyder, as his father’s was Hallonen. However, he was called Buck or Bucko even as a child. He lived most of his life at Ash Lake near Orr, Minnesota, and was well known in trapping circles, especially from the 1950s through the 1970s when he sold trapping methods and a predator bait formula.

Buck’s passion was trapping timber wolves. He loved deer, and he figured that for every wolf he trapped, 25 deer would live a year longer. On page 42 of the November 1957 FUR-FISH-GAME, there is a picture of Buck with 12 wolves trapped that day; a Ford Model T in the background dates the photo. It was said that Buck never learned to drive and his lifelong friend Lucille Stigman drove him to a trapping area, dropped him off, and then picked him up down the road after he had checked several traps in between.

Buck also made or at least assembled wolf and beaver traps. The wolf trap measures 19 inches end to end with off-set jaws that measure 6-1/2 inches post to post and have a 5-inch closing height; the beaver trap has solid jaws with the same spread but a lower 4-inch closing height.

Both traps are dogless with a small 1-3/8-inch pan, Buck’s trademark. The springs on both traps appear to be No. 4 ATC Newhouse, and the beaver trap in my collection has a drowning washer.

Buck passed away December 1, 1986, at the age of 90.

Current collector value for a Buck Snyder trap in good condition is in the $200 range, in my opinion mainly because of the few known to exist. The traps are not marked, and nobody knows how many were made. But the small pan is the dead giveaway. I suspect a few more will surface following publication of this article, as the odd trap hanging in the back of the fur shed finally may be identified.

For information on this and other
collectible antique traps, contact:
Tom Parr, the North American Trap
Collectors Association, P.O. Box 94,
Galloway, OH 43119; (614) 878-6011.

Simplify your methods to the point of perfection.

Become fast,efficient & effective.

The real "SECRET" to successful trapping.

KEEP IT SIMPLE!

#3111652 - 04/08/12 06:25 AM Re: Clint Locklear's "tiny-trap rant" [Re: Hover-Lover]
LT GREY Offline
trapper

LPC makes the best wolf trap currently made, IMO.

#3111710 - 04/08/12 07:40 AM Re: Clint Locklear's "tiny-trap rant" [Re: Hover-Lover]
coop Offline
trapper

Loc: De
I like pans just the size they are, is that acceptable??? confused

#3111721 - 04/08/12 07:45 AM Re: Clint Locklear's "tiny-trap rant" [Re: coop]
CLT Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: coop
I like pans just the size they are, is that acceptable??? confused

NO! LOL

Of course it is,whatever floats your boat...

#3111724 - 04/08/12 07:46 AM Re: Clint Locklear's "tiny-trap rant" [Re: Hover-Lover]
CLT Offline
trapper

Riversnorth13,very interesting post.Those traps look like they would do the job...

#3111750 - 04/08/12 08:08 AM Re: Clint Locklear's "tiny-trap rant" [Re: Hover-Lover]
Northwind Offline
trapper

Loc: U.P. , MI
Thanks for posting that Rivers North! Looks like a solution after a few toe caught wolves.

#3111904 - 04/08/12 10:07 AM Re: Clint Locklear's "tiny-trap rant" [Re: Hover-Lover]
LT GREY Offline
trapper

The reason people have toe-caught wolves, is their pan tension is too light.
Look at the tension spring UNDERNEATH the pan of a LPC DLS #8 and you will see what a trap pan for a wolf should look like.

#3111971 - 04/08/12 11:06 AM Re: Clint Locklear's "tiny-trap rant" [Re: Hover-Lover]
Northwind Offline
trapper

Loc: U.P. , MI
I was referring to the sized traps above. Lots of space between the pan and jaws on a LPC #8 too.

#3113051 - 04/09/12 07:05 AM Re: Clint Locklear's "tiny-trap rant" [Re: LT GREY]
CLT Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: LT GREY
The reason people have toe-caught wolves, is their pan tension is too light.
Look at the tension spring UNDERNEATH the pan of a LPC DLS #8 and you will see what a trap pan for a wolf should look like.

Never caught a wolf but I would think that 8-10 pounds wouldn't be to much for a wolf.I use right around 4 lbs,give or take an ounce or two,for coyotes and a wolf can easily be double or even triple what an average coyote weighs,assuming an average coyote is 35-40 lbs...

#3114389 - 04/09/12 09:25 PM Re: Clint Locklear's "tiny-trap rant" [Re: Hover-Lover]
w_baker76 Offline
trapper

Loc: Central Texas
I use #3 and #4 traps. I have tried using #2 traps on coyotes and bobcats and they did not work well for me.
rather the one most responsive to change"

Charles Darwin

#3114824 - 04/10/12 08:41 AM Re: Clint Locklear's "tiny-trap rant" [Re: Hover-Lover]
jeremy brua Offline
trapper

Loc: Volant Pa.
the way i took Clints rant was that he was gearing it more tword long liners and ADC trappers than the hobby trapper. it is true that a bigger trap wll up your odds, but it might not raise them that much. if you are running a lot of traps than even a small advantage would pay off. its about catching as many animals in as short of a time period as possable. you have trappers on here every day telling people to stake a trap like your going to catch a yote. why not use a trap that would hold a yote? a double staked #1.5CS make less sence than trapping a coon with a #3.

i can do it because i dont know that i cant.

Ně ňigear leisg bodach brisg

#3114882 - 04/10/12 09:44 AM Re: Clint Locklear's "tiny-trap rant" [Re: Hover-Lover]
CLT Offline
trapper

Jeremy brua quote:a double staked #1.5CS make less sence than trapping a coon with a #3.

You would think that wouldn't you?LOL

#3115042 - 04/10/12 12:51 PM Re: Clint Locklear's "tiny-trap rant" [Re: Hover-Lover]
Dustin_Drews Offline
trapper

Loc: Bison SD
Lt Grey, I and others on this site that provide lots of proven non myway is the only way, down to earth knollage to this site thank you... I do not know how you guys do it putting up with these attacks on your truths! If people keep doing this to each other dont get mad when the boss pulls the plug one day...
I am not going to speak for Clint but if I had to guess if Clint read this he would be laugh at it.
I just went threw Clints schools... If you guys think all he uses for traps is CDRs your wrong. When we were going after cats we used CDRs, Dukes, Bridger KBs Montainas MBs B&L and even some victor #3 longspring pinch pans! You name it we used it! In alot of different sizes... Yes they all worked!
I asked him about the rant. With his reply I think he was mainly trying to tell everyone it was ok to use larger traps and not to believe everything you read on the internet with damage and larger traps... And it is acceptable and people should not be worried about using them.
The school was great... we cought 23 cats in a week. Damage I have to agree with him front cought coons in CDRs no damage. But like the guys say on here SWIVELS are important guys need to use them.
You guys need to go fishing or something in the off season! first time I have been on here since the school you guys get growly when your not trapping!

God Bless,
Dustin

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Drifter, tmrschessie, trapper30