Land Trapping Archive

Home ~ Mission Statement ~ Trap Talk ~ ADC Forum ~ Trap Shed ~ Trap Chat
Trapper Tips ~ Links ~ Gallery ~ Basic Sets ~ Convention Calendar ~ Trapper's Humor
Fur Buyers Directory ~ Trapper's Tales ~ Words From The Past ~ Legends ~ Archives~Lure Formulator Forum
~Catalog~

Topic Options
Hop to:
#31072 - 01/10/07 05:38 PM BOBCATS - Flat Set
Hawg_Hunter Offline
trapper

Loc: West Virginia
Has anybody been successful using the flat set with a gland lure for bobcats or is the dirt hole set the way to go?? Not having any luck with bobcat despite numerous attempts in an area where a bobcat has been sited a few times recently. Been using dolled up dirt holes with feathers and all and I'm thinking of trying the flat set as something different.

6 coons
6 possums
1 fisher
1 Gray Squirrel
4 me

#31318 - 01/10/07 06:50 PM Re: Bobcat Flat Set [Re: Hawg_Hunter]
traprjo Offline
trapper

Loc: pa
how long are your sets in? some times it takes a while for them to come around? i set for 10 days before i got mine. and two years ago my friend and i had sets in for 19 checks before we got one. if your on location and they are around its been my experience you will catch one they are not difficult to catch but they gotta be there

#31387 - 01/10/07 07:20 PM Re: Bobcat Flat Set [Re: traprjo]
Kyote Offline
trapper

Loc: Afton,okla
This one was taken in a flat set but had a flag close to get him close.It take time just hang in there good luck

#31563 - 01/10/07 08:03 PM Re: Bobcat Flat Set [Re: Kyote]
Hawg_Hunter Offline
trapper

Yea my problem is I can only trap on the weekends because the land I trap is about 30 minutes from home and I don't have time to check traps during the week.

6 coons
6 possums
1 fisher
1 Gray Squirrel
4 me

#31644 - 01/10/07 08:19 PM Re: Bobcat Flat Set [Re: Hawg_Hunter]
Jtrapper Online   crying

Loc: Alabama (Bama for short) 108 y...
yep, ive taken several at flat sets.

#32198 - 01/10/07 11:11 PM Re: Bobcat Flat Set [Re: Jtrapper]
utah cat man Offline
trapper

Loc: Utah
How many traps do you have in that area ? it my take a long time for him to come back on his cicle I would add 4 or 5 more traps to the area so when he did come back you would stand alot better chance of catching him. And walk threw type sets are very effective on cats. good luck

#32346 - 01/11/07 06:15 AM Re: Bobcat Flat Set [Re: utah cat man]
Hawg_Hunter Offline
trapper

I have 4 traps in the area, but will probably add a few more. Had a nice dirt hole set out near where I found some Bobcat scat but those darn possum keep messing me up.

Edited by Hawg_Hunter (01/11/07 06:16 AM)

6 coons
6 possums
1 fisher
1 Gray Squirrel
4 me

#32503 - 01/11/07 08:33 AM Re: Bobcat Flat Set [Re: Hawg_Hunter]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yes, flat sets can be very good cat sets when they are put in the right place. Your set location will always be #1 on the list of importance. You will find that you will miss more cats with flat sets than you will with walk through sets,,,, just because cats being cats, some will walk right on by . \:\)

#32523 - 01/11/07 08:47 AM Re: Bobcat Flat Set [Re: ]
Asa Lenon Offline
trapper

Loc: Gulliver, Michigan
I've caught scores of cats at flat sets, blind scent sets, dirthole sets and post sets. Cats smell way better than most trappers give them credit. However, like trapping any animal the big, visible dirthole sets have an advantage in that the visibility factor will allow one to make catches when the prevailing wind changes and blows the lures odor in the opposite direction from the animals approach. I have never seen evidence of a bobcat passing a well lured hole set and I trap a vast sand and snow country where walk-by tracks would be noted in most locations.
In my opinion, making a flat set for bobcats would have no advantages over the hole set you already have as cats are not set avoiders or do they get wised up to hole sets like fox or coyote sometimes do. Well lured sets, preferrably visible made in the correct locations is what will catch every passing cat. Good luck! Ace

#32561 - 01/11/07 09:11 AM Re: Bobcat Flat Set [Re: Asa Lenon]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Cats will check out every large natural dirt hole they come across in their hunting. Tracks in the snow have let me see this. So if you want to make a big showy dirt hole they are great visual attractors. BUT, in many many excellent cat locations out west, dirt holes are impossible to make. And who wants to pack a heavy digging hammer, sifters etc to the cliffs and rimrocks when it is not needed? If you don't want to take the time to construct walk through sets, flat sets are your only other choice. With visual attractors added to a flat set, they can be very effective cat sets. Each area of the US has slighlty different methods that have been developed to make sets more efficient and productive. Cats will very often walk right by sets that do not funnel them right to the trap. Again, tracks in the snow have shown this to me. No lure or attractor will make all cats work your sets 100% of the time. Cats with a full belly, cats through hunting for the night and heading to the cliffs to bed down, cats on a cat mission \:\) and wind directions that do not allow the cat to smell the lure, will all add up to cats walking right by anything but walk through sets put where they want to go.

Edited by Steve Wood (01/11/07 09:30 AM)

#32590 - 01/11/07 09:30 AM Re: Bobcat Flat Set [Re: ]
CharlesKS Offline

Loc: Kansas,32,6-1,220,B/B NS
i like to use a bleached cow bone for a flat set for cats.

will also pick up coyotes.

charles

#33115 - 01/11/07 04:10 PM Re: Bobcat Flat Set [Re: CharlesKS]
Anonymous
Unregistered

So the short answer to your question is yes. Cat gland, urine and droppings are one of the best attractants to get cats to take that last step to your trap.

#33330 - 01/11/07 05:47 PM Re: Bobcat Flat Set [Re: Hawg_Hunter]
Big Bird Offline
trapper

Loc: Christiansburg, VA
Not to get too far off topic but if you have a limited window to trap this might be another option - provided it is legal in WV. I am by no means even close to an expert cat trapper but I had a similar situation last year with limited time so I used a beaver carcass as a bait station. I laid the carcass on location on Tuesday night. Since I have coyotes in the area I secured the carcass with a log on top of it. I returned Friday afternoon to verify that the carcass was being fed upon and it was. I covered the carcass and set two traps using dirt holes, cat gland, feathers, Backbreaker near by (in the trail to and from the bait station). I had a cat the next morning. Snares can also be used on the trails. Make sure to check the regs for distances from bait, snares, etc.... Other variations could be building a cubby over the bait with a couple traps at the entrance/exit once the bait is being fed upon. This is not my idea. This is out of one of my cat trapping books.

Hope you get 'em!

Edited by Big Bird (01/11/07 09:27 PM)

#33370 - 01/11/07 06:03 PM Re: Bobcat Flat Set [Re: Big Bird]
Hawg_Hunter Offline
trapper

Thanks Big Bird, that sounds like a great idea.

6 coons
6 possums
1 fisher
1 Gray Squirrel
4 me

Moderator:  BlueRidgeTrapper, tmrschessie