Wilderness Trapping and Living

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar

Photo Gallery~Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulator Forum

~Dobbins' Catalog~

Alaska Trappers Association

Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
Hop to:
#3106463 - 04/04/12 07:34 PM Re: Snowmobile problems aint so bad when your trapping [Re: Nunamiut]
piperniner Offline
trapper

Loc: Alaska
The teachers or the wolves ?

This was an educational winter for some fur bearers in Western Alaska. Individual attention by dedicated teachers.

#3106670 - 04/04/12 09:21 PM Re: Snowmobile problems aint so bad when your trapping [Re: Nunamiut]
alaska viking Offline
trapper

Loc: juneau, alaska
I wish I had such a crmmy day that all I caught was a wolverine! smile

#3106728 - 04/04/12 09:55 PM Re: Snowmobile problems aint so bad when your trapping [Re: Kusko]
Nunamiut Offline
trapper

Loc: alaska
Originally Posted By: Kusko
Sucks for sure.

I would be willing to bet your "skiers" were school teachers......

People have told me in the past that when wolves scratch at traps, they have either been visually exposed or exposed by scent.

Yeah Kusko, I seen some [Please excuse my language... I'm an idiot] around the trap, so Im guessing when they [Please excuse my language... I'm an idiot] on the tussok(grass) they smelt or seen the trap after exposing it and there it was.

#3106731 - 04/04/12 09:58 PM Re: Snowmobile problems aint so bad when your trapping [Re: piperniner]
Nunamiut Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: piperniner
Darn those teachers ! Do you think they educated the Wolves ?

Im not sure, I keep my sets pretty clean and I usually dont pee around them either, they managed to do both so we'll see what happens.

#3106736 - 04/04/12 10:01 PM Re: Snowmobile problems aint so bad when your trapping [Re: FishinHank]
Nunamiut Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: FishinHank
Dang Nunamiut, I was hoping you would connect with some more of them. It is crazy how crafty those wolves get, hopefully the lure will throw them a curveball.

Crafty indeed, I have 12 more sets out going through some passes and shortcuts through the mountains so its not over yet.

#3106845 - 04/04/12 11:22 PM Re: Snowmobile problems aint so bad when your trapping [Re: Nunamiut]
yukontrapper Offline
trapper

Loc: Galena Alaska USA
GL out there Nuna, i had that happen a few times this winter, urine on where traps are bedded. Either they can't aim or they jus laughing @ my sets. Well we picked up #10 in our 3 man wolf team. two were pretty rubbed out so we called it quits on em'

#3107540 - 04/05/12 01:41 PM Re: Snowmobile problems aint so bad when your trapping [Re: piperniner]
Kusko Offline
"Mr. Mayor"

Loc: Bethel, AK
Originally Posted By: piperniner
The teachers or the wolves ?

This was an educational winter for some fur bearers in Western Alaska. Individual attention by dedicated teachers.

smile smile

www.alaskafinandfur.com

#3107764 - 04/05/12 04:39 PM Re: Snowmobile problems aint so bad when your trapping [Re: Nunamiut]
Nunamiut Offline
trapper

Here's a pic of the skin count so far, minus 1 cross fox and 3 reds.

#3109645 - 04/06/12 06:36 PM Re: Snowmobile problems aint so bad when your trapping [Re: Nunamiut]
yukontrapper Offline
trapper

Nice Job on the critters, like how the wolverine turned out. SPring bears should be coming out around now. But never heard anything. Gonna get the 440lt tuned up and ready, jump on and go as soon as i hear of one out roaming around!!! :-)

#3118880 - 04/13/12 03:04 AM Re: Snowmobile problems aint so bad when your trapping [Re: Nunamiut]
Nunamiut Offline
trapper

Well, my Bro and I went and checked the line yesterday. We pulled up to our set on the mountain and here is what we found, a pack came by and set off the trap but didnt get caught. grrrr The lure I used was the unmarked bottle I found in my Dads stash.

This set here the pack came by and ate the remaining kill. We had a toe catch on a blackie, but he got away!
I had a urine post about 30 yards away, the pack [Please excuse my language... I'm an idiot] all over the urine, but the thawing and freezing of the snow just made the snow covering my trap solid, so the trap didn't set off. I reset the urine post and pulled the trap on the kill.

In this pic I used the Daileys No. 2 lure and the pack came by, but once again the thawing and freezing of the snow due to the spring conditions just froze the snow solid, I reset the trap and Im leaving this set for another week. Grrr

The pack came by my bait pile set and just walked all over this trap, darn the spring conditions! The story of my season. Its pretty exciting though when the animals do come around your sets, weather they go off or not, I know we're setting them right. I left this set out for another week. I ran out of paper towel, so I found some moss to fill in the voids in the trap, you want to keep the moss away from the hinges and jaws as a pull out is very likely, I just sprinkle snow over the trap to conceal it. Another set up I like to use.

#3118881 - 04/13/12 03:21 AM Re: Snowmobile problems aint so bad when your trapping [Re: Nunamiut]
Nunamiut Offline
trapper

I have been making trips with my brothers to dig out a snowmachine some 20 miles out of the village. We chip ice all day and pretty much chill in one spot. Here area a couple of amaguqs I picked up while we were chipping away. You just magu (howl) every once in a while and hope somebody hears you. Most of the time we dont get anything but I have been lucky these 2 trips.

This guy Im going to give to my Attata(Grandpa) hes actually my grandpas younger brother he took me in and taught me how to hunt the animals from the tagiuq(ocean) when I was living up in Barrow.

#3118882 - 04/13/12 03:24 AM Re: Snowmobile problems aint so bad when your trapping [Re: Nunamiut]
Aknative Offline
trapper

Loc: Fairbanks AK
Way to go! Hope the sets pay off!

#3118883 - 04/13/12 03:26 AM Re: Snowmobile problems aint so bad when your trapping [Re: Nunamiut]
Family Trapper Online   content
trapper

Loc: Homer, Alaska
Cool. Are they coming all the way to you in rifle range or do you hear or see them in the distance after howling and intercept them?

#3118995 - 04/13/12 07:26 AM Re: Snowmobile problems aint so bad when your trapping [Re: Nunamiut]
On a Call Online   happy
trapper

Loc: S/E Mich - N/W Ohio
Great photos and it is nice that you have your machine running again !

Too bad on the blackie frown but at least you will know when you do pick him up.

#3119287 - 04/13/12 12:27 PM Re: Snowmobile problems aint so bad when your trapping [Re: Nunamiut]
That Fool Offline
trapper

Loc: Alaska Northwestern
Awesome amaguqs

#3119474 - 04/13/12 03:05 PM Re: Snowmobile problems aint so bad when your trapping [Re: Nunamiut]
AKHowler Offline
trapper

Loc: Fairbanks Alaska
Congrads on the wolf Nunamiut, there's something rewarding about a response to a vocal howl when heard by the right ears.

#3119839 - 04/13/12 08:42 PM Re: Snowmobile problems aint so bad when your trapping [Re: Nunamiut]
HFT AK Offline
trapper

Loc: Wasilla AK
Congrats on connecting on a pretty one! Sorry to hear the traps are not producing!

#3119877 - 04/13/12 09:14 PM Re: Snowmobile problems aint so bad when your trapping [Re: Nunamiut]
yukontrapper Offline
trapper

Nice! I have tried doing howls when i stop for coffee or to work on a set. Thats how i got my first wolf. Howling over a valley. Was pretty Cool! Nice Job and Keep it up.

#3119903 - 04/13/12 09:39 PM Re: Snowmobile problems aint so bad when your trapping [Re: Nunamiut]
akpawpincher Offline
trapper

Loc: Alaska
That is really cool! Congrats again!

#3119994 - 04/13/12 10:30 PM Re: Snowmobile problems aint so bad when your trapping [Re: Family Trapper]
Nunamiut Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: Family Trapper
Cool. Are they coming all the way to you in rifle range or do you hear or see them in the distance after howling and intercept them?

These 2 I intercepted.

Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >