Wilderness Trapping and Living

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Dobbins' Catalog~

Trading Post
(Please support Fur Country Lures, our sponsor for the Wilderness Forum)

Alaska Trappers Association

Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
Hop to:
#3103814 - 04/03/12 08:04 AM Re: Wolf kills, slaughter in the snow. [Re: Spek Jones]
Mira Trapper Offline
trapper

Loc: Cape Breton Island Nova Scotia
Bingo. The world doesn't like to admit those traits but the ARA poster Children...Wolves, Orca's & seals all kill for pleasure if the opportunity arises.

Edited by Mira Trapper (04/03/12 08:05 AM)

Mac Leod Motto

#3103911 - 04/03/12 09:29 AM Re: Wolf kills, slaughter in the snow. [Re: Spek Jones]
backwoodsbarry Offline
trapper

Loc: wyoming
Ha I just read about a mt lion attacking the guy in Cali, was that before or after all the tree Huggers were trying to get the f&g biologist fired for going on a lion hunt in Idaho?

#3104109 - 04/03/12 11:43 AM Re: Wolf kills, slaughter in the snow. [Re: Spek Jones]
UgashikBob Offline
trapper

Loc: Alaska Bristol Bay
Regarding the question of why they kill and not consume. I have a in a couple cases seen where the kill was done for what I think was a training exercise for the younger members of the pack.

#3104122 - 04/03/12 11:50 AM Re: Wolf kills, slaughter in the snow. [Re: Spek Jones]
drasselt Offline
trapper

Loc: Alaska
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=tMC7aZNXnL8#t=31s

Here is a video of a wolf pack in Denali killing a moose calf in the water despite the cow's best efforts to defend it.

#3104124 - 04/03/12 11:52 AM Re: Wolf kills, slaughter in the snow. [Re: Spek Jones]
Spek Jones Offline
"FATHER"

Loc: Homer, Alaska
That may well be UB, but in reality I think the education of the
younger wolves is constant and ongoing. Every kill is a training session so to speak. The older adults get in there and show the
younger ones how to rip and slash and the best angles to work it to avoid getting stomped.

#3104147 - 04/03/12 12:16 PM Re: Wolf kills, slaughter in the snow. [Re: Spek Jones]
Hornhunter Offline
trapper

Loc: Maine
Quote:
Maybe the wolves can sense that particular animal they kill is sick and that is the reason they dont eat it?

That's Kind of funny to me as a Maine biologist at a December meeting on predation (coyotes and deer)said that coyotes sence the sick ones and go after those and not the healthy ones!--This guy is a protectionist to the max.

#3104157 - 04/03/12 12:26 PM Re: Wolf kills, slaughter in the snow. [Re: Spek Jones]
Dirt Offline
trapper

Loc: Armpit, ak
Okay, Let's not go to the other extreme and project human attributes to wildlife. Wolves surplus kill because it is a survival trait that has allowed the species to survive for thousands of years. Better to have too much food on the ground then not enough.

#3104165 - 04/03/12 12:30 PM Re: Wolf kills, slaughter in the snow. [Re: Spek Jones]
white17 Offline

"General (Mr.Sunshine) Washington"

Loc: McGrath, AK
Most of us have likely seen evidence of "excess killing" by wolves. My take on it is that some behavior of the target trips a trigger in the wolf that puts them into that hunt/kill mode whether they are hungry or not. We may never understand it. We of course don't like it but we shouldn't, IMO, condem the wolves for doing what comes naturally. Probably the best way to influence that behavior is to control numbers of both wolves and prey species.

If we point the finger at the wolf and lay blame, we are guilty of imparting conscious decision making ability to them. I think instinct rules, rather than reasoning ability.

I also believe that any objective observer knows that wolves target whichever animal that presents the right situation to kill. To believe they single out the sick, lame, and lazy is absurd. If that was true, we would need to conclude that most or all of the moose/caribou etc, were somehow sick or disabled when they were killed.

#3104186 - 04/03/12 12:40 PM Re: Wolf kills, slaughter in the snow. [Re: Spek Jones]
That Fool Offline
trapper

Loc: Alaska Northwestern
Wolves are smart, they don't just chase animals that are sick or disabled, they herd them and tire them out then go for the kill, especially when the temperatures are low, animals usually freeze their lungs well trying to run away. I have seen a wolf chase a caribou then another one came out and took over the chase and let the other one rest. I tried reaching them but they made it to the trees before I reached them. Fortunately for the caribou, it got to see another day, I came across it the day after and harvested it.

#3104209 - 04/03/12 12:50 PM Re: Wolf kills, slaughter in the snow. [Re: Spek Jones]
decoy Offline
trapper

Loc: north Idaho
Killbilly, never heard an offical IFG statement saying that. If a loose cannon CO said that it wouldn't surprise me. very ignorant statement.

#3104243 - 04/03/12 01:11 PM Re: Wolf kills, slaughter in the snow. [Re: Spek Jones]
Dirt Offline
trapper

Actually if wolves were really smart they would bury their kills to protect them from scavengers. Not smart IMO.

#3104244 - 04/03/12 01:12 PM Re: Wolf kills, slaughter in the snow. [Re: Spek Jones]
That Fool Offline
trapper

bury them would be a waste of energy no guarantee that other animals wont dig them up and eat them

#3104250 - 04/03/12 01:17 PM Re: Wolf kills, slaughter in the snow. [Re: That Fool]
Dirt Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: That Fool
bury them would be a waste of energy no guarantee that other animals wont dig them up and eat them

I'm thinking in terms of 6 bald eagles and 25 ravens and 13 magpies and 4 gray jays. smile

#3104254 - 04/03/12 01:20 PM Re: Wolf kills, slaughter in the snow. [Re: Spek Jones]
That Fool Offline
trapper

Haven't many eagles around winter time here, ravens don't really eat too much of the kills i have found, no magpies around either, and gray jays don't seem to leave the trees onto the open country to eat carcasses of caribou here

#3104262 - 04/03/12 01:24 PM Re: Wolf kills, slaughter in the snow. [Re: Spek Jones]
drasselt Offline
trapper

Oh brother.

Where ar't thou...

Edited by white17 (04/03/12 01:25 PM)

#3104280 - 04/03/12 01:35 PM Re: Wolf kills, slaughter in the snow. [Re: Spek Jones]
drasselt Offline
trapper

Dirt makes a good point.
The same point was made by Rick Sinnot's predecessor Dave Harkness. A woman expressed distress over the incidental take of 'highly intelligent' porpoise in tuna seines. Harkness asked her why the porpoise don't just jump out of the net if they are so intelligent. I miss that guy...

#3104294 - 04/03/12 01:44 PM Re: Wolf kills, slaughter in the snow. [Re: Spek Jones]
That Fool Offline
trapper

sounds like an awesome guy goot sense of humor

#3104296 - 04/03/12 01:46 PM Re: Wolf kills, slaughter in the snow. [Re: Spek Jones]
drasselt Offline
trapper

He was being serious.

#3104321 - 04/03/12 02:02 PM Re: Wolf kills, slaughter in the snow. [Re: Spek Jones]
Jumperzee Online   content
trapper

Loc: North Central Idaho
All photos taken in Idaho in the winter of 2006-7. I got these in an e-mail that was being circulated to expose just what was happening to the elk. Excerpt from the e-mail: The large cavities on the rear of the cow elk are where the fetus was removed. The photographer found and documented that the wolf always ate the fetus first and sometimes the cow was still found alive after the fetus was removed and eaten.
The photographer also found that many elk were killed in surplus, or "Sport Killed", and left to rot. During the winter when the elk are driven down low and concentrated along the river, they are easy prey and the wolves just keep killing both old and young.

to be continued.....

Edited by Jumperzee (04/03/12 02:15 PM)

#3104324 - 04/03/12 02:05 PM Re: Wolf kills, slaughter in the snow. [Re: Spek Jones]
Jumperzee Online   content
trapper

Loc: North Central Idaho
and continuing along....

to be continued

Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >