Wilderness Trapping and Living

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Dobbins' Catalog~

Trading Post
(Please support Fur Country Lures, our sponsor for the Wilderness Forum)

Alaska Trappers Association

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Hop to:
#3122930 - 04/16/12 03:06 AM Re: biting insects [Re: yukonjeff]
Family Trapper Offline
trapper

Loc: Homer, Alaska
Order up!

http://www.solutions.com/jump.jsp?itemID=314&itemType=PRODUCT

Buhach Insect Powder
Nature’s “secret” bug repellent — no synthetic chemicals!
Buy 2 & Save!

Made of ground pyrethrum flowers, Buhach powder is Mother Nature's organic insecticide. Repels spiders, ants, fleas, roaches, flies and mosquitoes without harsh chemicals.

Overall Rating 4.7 / 5

45 / 46(98%)reviewers would recommend this product to a friend.
read all reviews write a review

Buhach Insect Powder
Available: 05/04/2012
Qty

Price

$12.98

#3123186 - 04/16/12 10:28 AM Re: biting insects [Re: gray dog]
Boco Offline
trapper

Loc: james bay frontierOnt.
Its hard to beat a good smudge.

#3123202 - 04/16/12 10:43 AM Re: biting insects [Re: gray dog]
akitzman Offline
trapper

Loc: Southwest Indiana
we always have had mosquitos....however...in 2008 we got an epic flood and with it came the no seeums...they haven't left since...some call them buffalo gnats...they are HORRIBLE....there were days when we were building that we quit at noon because there was no way you could even work...they get ridiculous here now....it was like being in manitoba again....body fantasies vanilla spray from walgreens works really well but after several hours in one spot they get immune to it....it seems like they are even getting used to the thermacell, plus that thing only works if you're not moving....i'm buying a mesh suit for turkey hunting this year...there is a product out called Buggins that works outstandingly....it's the only thing we've found that keeps them away....thank god turkeys can't smell cause i couldn't hunt without it...tried once and after 30 minutes with my head tucked between my legs wrapped in a decoy bag i gave up...not sure where these things came from but i guess they're here forever i would much rather replace them with mosquitos
fox 0
sasquatch 1
MPG - not enough

*building inspector
*product designer
*outlaw creek rock trapper

#3123490 - 04/16/12 02:48 PM Re: biting insects [Re: gray dog]
Family Trapper Offline
trapper

Loc: Homer, Alaska
Wow that is too bad. Crazy how they came and never left.

#3123627 - 04/16/12 04:22 PM Re: biting insects [Re: yukonjeff]
Pittu Offline
trapper

Loc: Alaska
Originally Posted By: yukonjeff
get some Buhach and smoke a bowl of that before bed and sleep in peace smile

Something tells me if you smoke a bowl of that stuff, the mosquitos will be the least of your problems...LOL.

Well at least that answers the question..."What are you smoking?" laugh laugh

#3123733 - 04/16/12 05:45 PM Re: biting insects [Re: gray dog]
yukonjeff Offline
trapper

Loc: M.T.V. Alaska
Buhach kills... Ants,Fleas,Roaches,Fleas on Dogs,Cats,Foxes,lice on Chickens,plant lice Mosquitoes and Gnats
and most likly 10,000 brain cells...Good stuff!

made of Pryrethrins (Flowers from Africa) I never go anywhere without it.

#3123858 - 04/16/12 06:46 PM Re: biting insects [Re: gray dog]
Pittu Offline
trapper

I have heard it is the best stuff out there, but that it was becoming hard to find. Looks like FT hooked us up...Does anyone know of anywhere in southcentral that you can buy it?

#3124872 - 04/17/12 10:59 AM Re: biting insects [Re: gray dog]
akitzman Offline
trapper

Loc: Southwest Indiana
yeah FT i'm not exactly sure how they got here...some say they came on fruit and the flood helped them out....and some conspiracy theorists claim the dnr introduced them....kinda like they dropped bags of rattlesnakes, introduced mythical panthers, sasquatches etc...cause ya know...that's what the dnr does....conducts jurassic park-like experiments for fun
fox 0
sasquatch 1
MPG - not enough

*building inspector
*product designer
*outlaw creek rock trapper

#3125810 - 04/17/12 09:44 PM Re: biting insects [Re: gray dog]
yukontrapper Offline
trapper

Loc: Galena Alaska USA
The bear stand sucks in May and June...We wear them bug jackets while out...they inturn suck when its blasted hot out...In the end i have bug spray all over the place, work, home, porch, in the 4 wheeler, car, boats, etc.
I use "Clean Air Purge" on a timer in the house. We leave cans in the Boats. Terrible stuff that smells like Diesel. But it works. I want to try them Little bug wicks you hang up. They seemed to work. Otherwise, summers drag here, dusty roads, hot, mosquitos, gnats, but then again i get to fish, boating, bear hunting, spring and fall bird hunting, rod n reelin. I guess i can deal with em'

#3129852 - 04/21/12 01:23 AM Re: biting insects [Re: gray dog]
Richard Phillips Offline
trapper

Loc: SE Idaho
Went on a moose hunt out of King Salmon in Sept. of 2000. I thought I understood bugs after spending my life outdoors with skeeters, horse flies, deer flies, buffalo gnats and ticks, but the white socks gave me an attitude adjustment in a hurry. The no see ums swarming in front of my binocular lenses would give me vertigo. Lived inside of a bug net for days. When we got back to town, we talked to some hunters who had just arrived and were headed out to hunt caribou. My partner asked them if they had bug nets and they said, "No. Do we need them?" One of them bought a head net, the other four did not. I told my partner that that kid would be able to get a thousand bucks for his head net by morning......IF he would sell.

How in the world did you natives survive? You must have evolved hides like rhinos, LOL.

#3134078 - 04/24/12 01:30 PM Re: biting insects [Re: gray dog]
Richard Phillips Offline
trapper

Loc: SE Idaho
Sheesh, guys; didn't mean to kill the thread!

#3134100 - 04/24/12 02:00 PM Re: biting insects [Re: gray dog]
yukonjeff Offline
trapper

The folks here used to burn those wooden mushrooms you see growing on birch trees (called punk)
it has a pungent oder that repels some of the bugs. The byprodcut (ash)is mixed with leaf tobacco and chewed (gives you a bit of a buzz)the ash is still sold in stores in our erea and is pretty expensive.

also from what I heard.. seal oil was rubbed on the skin (mostly the face) everythig else was coverd up.

#3134117 - 04/24/12 02:10 PM Re: biting insects [Re: gray dog]
Pittu Offline
trapper

Does anyone have any opinions to share on the usefullness of the non-electric Skeeter Vacs?

I have heard mixed reviews on them and now that I'll have kiddos running around the homestead, I am hoping to create a sort of mosquito free zone near the house...

#3134243 - 04/24/12 04:10 PM Re: biting insects [Re: gray dog]
Top Jimmy Offline
"Assistant Speling Zcar"

Loc: Alaska, USA
I have two of them. Love them. They really whack down on the mosquito’s around our place and we live right next to a slow moving slough where they breed like crazy. They are great as you don't have to plug them in with some huge extension cord to make them work so you can stick them away from the house and keep the mosquitos attracted to them and not around the house. Only thing you need to do is make sure you clean out where the flame burns in the summer. Burning propane like a pilot light seems to cause some kind of byproduct crystal to form and causes issues after a couple of years on the flame and being able to start it. Once I figured that out and cleaned it, all was good. I am told it is impurities in the propane. Whatever it is, you have to take them apart and clean it.

-TJ

#3134302 - 04/24/12 05:04 PM Re: biting insects [Re: gray dog]
otterman Offline

Loc: SW Alaska
I don't own one but the place we set our moose camp up in the fall is a guided king camp in summer and they use them. I have stopped there in July when the bugs were out in full force and had a nice visit sitting in the grass by the beach with no bugs around. One is on the honey I want one list and is making its way to the top

#3134474 - 04/24/12 07:20 PM Re: biting insects [Re: gray dog]
Outdoors_Man Offline
trapper

i heard that birch oil tar works good to repel insects. the only downside is that it smell bad.

#3134981 - 04/25/12 02:14 AM Re: biting insects [Re: gray dog]
yukontrapper Offline
trapper

Loc: Galena Alaska USA
yukonjeff- a few years back i was asked to ship and sell "Punk" but decided it was a not so good idear. Unsure it there is regs on that ot not. Got like a ton of it around here lol.

#3135363 - 04/25/12 11:56 AM Re: biting insects [Re: gray dog]
Pittu Offline
trapper

Thanks Jimmy. Sounds like I need to pick one up.

I always wanted to try punk. Now that I've quit the Copenhagen, I guess I missed my chance. My wife said it was quite the experience when she tried it out on the Nush. But then again, she gets a headrush from Ibuprofen, lol.

#3135407 - 04/25/12 12:32 PM Re: biting insects [Re: yukontrapper]
yukonjeff Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: yukontrapper
yukonjeff- a few years back i was asked to ship and sell "Punk" but decided it was a not so good idear. Unsure it there is regs on that ot not. Got like a ton of it around here lol.

there is a good market for it especialy on the coast I seen gunny sacks of the stuff in the store in Scammon Bay for $2.5o a lb and that was 25 yrs ago they sell the ash in a baggie in our store usualy around $60-$100 for a half baggie full of ash.

I used to chew Black Bull for years until I quit a couple years ago, Its the Punk ash mixed with fire cured tobacco leaves (twist) and a bit of strong tea to moisten it..it will give you a real buzz! until you get used to it, most people will have to take it out or get too dizzy. mostly old ladies and men chew it now days.

#3141269 - 04/29/12 10:56 PM Re: biting insects [Re: gray dog]
Top Jimmy Offline
"Assistant Speling Zcar"

Loc: Alaska, USA
Maybe I spoke too soon. Had one I opened up today to clean it as I couldn't get it to keep its flame. It would fire up and get going, and I would come back a bit later and it was out again. Worked on it for most of the day and now can't even get it to fire up even. It was pretty crusted up and I wonder if maybe I didn't blow something where it shouldn't have gone when I gave it all a shot of air after cleaning. I guess I will just keep it for parts and go get another one. Not sure what is up with it, but I guess for 8-9 years of use, I couldn't expect them all to work forever.

-TJ

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >