Wilderness Trapping and Living

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Dobbins' Catalog~

Trading Post
(Please support Fur Country Lures, our sponsor for the Wilderness Forum)

Alaska Trappers Association

Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
Hop to:
#3102776 - 04/02/12 04:32 PM Re: Wolf kills, slaughter in the snow. [Re: Spek Jones]
Kusko Offline
"Mr. Mayor"

Loc: Bethel, AK
Originally Posted By: Spek Jones
I agree with Nunamiut. Sometimes they kill because they are hungry and
sometimes just for the fun of it. I have seen them kill a lot of moose and
just eat the tongue or maybe not eat any of it, then leave it and never come back. I also found where a pack of 14 traveled a little over 40 miles, killed an adult moose and totally consumed it, bones and all, in about 18 hours time. They were obviously pretty hungry. The only bones left were the parts of the jaw bones with the teeth in them, the hip joint sockets from the pelvic bone
and the hooves (and the toe bones were chewed out of them). The hide was chewed and puckered and most of the hair chewed off it. It takes some powerful jaws to crush up all the vertebra, pelvis and skull bone on a moose like that. That's the only kill I have found that was that well comsumed. Most of the time they do not eat the major bones.
On the questions brought up by Martenpine the moose in the first picture did not have antlers nor antler bases on the skull. This time of year the bulls have all shed their antlers anyway, but you can still tell by looking at the skull if it was a bull or cow. As far as the age of the moose all I can say is that judging from the size of the hooves and the bone structure it was an adult moose, and I have a habit of referring to any female moose
as an "old cow".
Getting a good count on the number of wolves in a pack usually requires either a visual count or you have to follow their track for a ways. A lot of the time they follow single file especially in deeper snow and it is very hard to get a count on them. But on harder snow they will often fan out across the open places and you can get a good count on the tracks. This pack had came down river for a couple of miles and there were several places where it was easy to count tracks.
We don't have deer or caribou in this area but they do change up their diet occasionally;

Muskox or long haired stripper?

www.alaskafinandfur.com

#3102783 - 04/02/12 04:40 PM Re: Wolf kills, slaughter in the snow. [Re: Spek Jones]
Spek Jones Offline
"FATHER"

Loc: Homer, Alaska
LOL Kusko. Was told it was a pretty good Saddle horse.

#3102789 - 04/02/12 04:48 PM Re: Wolf kills, slaughter in the snow. [Re: Spek Jones]
Kusko Offline
"Mr. Mayor"

Loc: Bethel, AK
I often forget that people have horses here in AK. There just isn't many out here.... smile

www.alaskafinandfur.com

#3102818 - 04/02/12 05:18 PM Re: Wolf kills, slaughter in the snow. [Re: Spek Jones]
Jumperzee Offline
trapper

Loc: North Central Idaho
One of five I found in a small drainage that year. (sorry - no snow)

#3102909 - 04/02/12 06:36 PM Re: Wolf kills, slaughter in the snow. [Re: Spek Jones]
akpawpincher Offline
trapper

Loc: Alaska
Caution, these pics are too graphic to post and might upset some folks, but they are accurate depictions of what wolves do... If anyone has a problem with this please pm me and I will delete the post.

http://saveelk.com/wolf_020.htm

#3102998 - 04/02/12 07:27 PM Re: Wolf kills, slaughter in the snow. [Re: Spek Jones]
Mira Trapper Offline
trapper

Loc: Cape Breton Island Nova Scotia
A single wolf on average needs at least 9 lbs of meat per day to keep it's energy cells charged & they do kill for sport so the overal effect in that knowledge is a pack can out eat its prey in no time when they are left to kill at will.

Edited by Mira Trapper (04/02/12 07:28 PM)

Mac Leod Motto

#3103006 - 04/02/12 07:31 PM Re: Wolf kills, slaughter in the snow. [Re: akpawpincher]
Mira Trapper Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: akpawpincher
Caution, these pics are too graphic to post and might upset some folks, but they are accurate depictions of what wolves do... If anyone has a problem with this please pm me and I will delete the post.

A lot of antis will enjoy looking at those pics because the wolf won AK. Yet if their dog busted a toenail in your best paw set they will poison the trapping well so bad that their whining will be heard in London England. We have been dealt a dirty hand of cards for sure.

Mac Leod Motto

#3103037 - 04/02/12 07:46 PM Re: Wolf kills, slaughter in the snow. [Re: Mira Trapper]
akpawpincher Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: Mira Trapper

A lot of antis will enjoy looking at those pics because the wolf won AK. Yet if their dog busted a toenail in your best paw set they will poison the trapping well so bad that their whining will be heard in London England. We have been dealt a dirty hand of cards for sure.

You're right Myra, but maybe it will cause a fence sitter to think about the bigger picture and not buy into the sheep in wolf's clothing fantasy the wacko's are spinning.

#3103117 - 04/02/12 08:13 PM Re: Wolf kills, slaughter in the snow. [Re: Spek Jones]
backwoodsbarry Offline
trapper

Loc: wyoming
That happens way more than is ever brought to attention by newspapers or news reporters, funny how that works.

#3103120 - 04/02/12 08:14 PM Re: Wolf kills, slaughter in the snow. [Re: Spek Jones]
Family Trapper Offline
trapper

Looked to be a healthy cow in Homer.
Few days after the kill. Rumen was not frozen yet.

At least the returned later that week.

#3103177 - 04/02/12 08:28 PM Re: Wolf kills, slaughter in the snow. [Re: akpawpincher]
Mira Trapper Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: Mira Trapper
[quote=akpawpincher]Caution, these pics are too graphic to post and might upset some folks, but they are accurate depictions of what wolves do... If anyone has a problem with this please pm me and I will delete the post.

Quote:

[qoute] You're right Myra, but maybe it will cause a fence sitter to think about the bigger picture and not buy into the sheep in wolf's clothing fantasy the wacko's are spinning.

Of course your point is valid AK and I hope your loss does make a difference. It is sad that the whining over a dog caught in a trap which could run the next day gets more coverage than having your dogs shredded like they were. You might like to contact Bruce Hemmings (prohuman@daktel.com) He has quite a dossier built up on such cases such as yours.

Mac Leod Motto

#3103184 - 04/02/12 08:30 PM Re: Wolf kills, slaughter in the snow. [Re: Family Trapper]
Mira Trapper Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: Family Trapper
Looked to be a healthy cow in Homer.
Few days after the kill. Rumen was not frozen yet.

At least the returned later that week.

Rumen might not have been frozen because they hamstrung it and ate it their leisure by keeping it alive and not eating vital portions to keep the meat from freezing.

Mac Leod Motto

#3103430 - 04/02/12 09:48 PM Re: Wolf kills, slaughter in the snow. [Re: Mira Trapper]
akpawpincher Offline
trapper

[/quote]

Of course your point is valid AK and I hope your loss does make a difference. It is sad that the whining over a dog caught in a trap which could run the next day gets more coverage than having your dogs shredded like they were. You might like to contact Bruce Hemmings (prohuman@daktel.com) He has quite a dossier built up on such cases such as yours. [/quote]

Myra,
Thankfully these were not my dogs, I was just passing it on. If they were my dogs I would be extremely PO'ed.

#3103451 - 04/02/12 10:00 PM Re: Wolf kills, slaughter in the snow. [Re: Spek Jones]
Spek Jones Offline
"FATHER"

This is a pic a friend took of a Mt Goat that the wolves killed. The goat
had it's throat ripped out, but they had not ate any of it.

#3103459 - 04/02/12 10:04 PM Re: Wolf kills, slaughter in the snow. [Re: Spek Jones]
akpawpincher Offline
trapper

This news article is about the young female teacher who was killed by wolves while jogging near Chignik Bay in 2010 by a pack of wolves that had been hanging around near the village. The story says "Likely killed by wolves" but it was later determined to be the actual cause of death. She was partially consumed. The second article confirms that wolves were the most likely suspects after Fish and Wildlife killed two of the pack for autopsy and testing.

http://www.newsminer.com/view/full_story...illed-by-wolves

http://www.newsminer.com/view/full_story...ow_left_bullets

#3103564 - 04/02/12 10:54 PM Re: Wolf kills, slaughter in the snow. [Re: Spek Jones]
killbilly Offline
trapper

Loc: orofino ID.
i like when idaho fish and no game claimed the wolfs only killed small game.........

#3103594 - 04/02/12 11:16 PM Re: Wolf kills, slaughter in the snow. [Re: Spek Jones]
trappin moose Offline
trapper

Loc: Saskatchewan Canada
I dont have pics this year, but the wolves took a whitetail deer on our land this year. Looks like they cleaned it up over night. Not much left but hair and bone fragments. Ravens and coyotes cleaned up what was left within a couple days. They sure can crunch up those smaller bones. Yikes.

#3103660 - 04/03/12 12:39 AM Re: Wolf kills, slaughter in the snow. [Re: Spek Jones]
drasselt Offline
trapper

The top kill was a moose calf. The cow hung around the general vicinity periodically waiting but eventually disappeared.

The bottom kill they cleaned-up as you can see. I back-tracked this kill and it looked like the wolves had ripped into the moose then left it to bleed out and sicken up for several days based on the the blood and beds. Then they came back and finished it off.

#3103783 - 04/03/12 07:20 AM Re: Wolf kills, slaughter in the snow. [Re: Spek Jones]
guideman Offline
trapper

Loc: Northern Michigan
Maybe the wolves can sense that particular animal they kill is sick and that is the reason they dont eat it?

#3103805 - 04/03/12 07:53 AM Re: Wolf kills, slaughter in the snow. [Re: Spek Jones]
Spek Jones Offline
"FATHER"

Guideman, there is no big mysterious thing about it. They
are born killers, it's what they do. They enjoy it, and will
kill whenever the opportunity arises, whether it's to secure
a meal or just for the thrill of it. When hunting for them has been
hard and they make a kill they will eat most of it or all of right away.
If hunting has been easy they may only eat a small portion of the kill
or even none of it, and then travel on. From there it depends on how
the hunting is for them the next few days. If they make another kill
right away they may not come back to the previous one, but if they don't
succeed in making a kill and they are getting hungry they may swing back
by and chew on it a while. Sometimes that may be the next day, sometimes
they may come back a month later and gnaw on what ever the scavengers
have left, or they may never come back at all. Point is, they kill when the opportunity arises. How hungry
they are at the time dictates how much or how little they eat of it.

Edited by Spek Jones (04/03/12 08:20 AM)

Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >