Wilderness Trapping and Living

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar

Photo Gallery~Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulator Forum

~Dobbins' Catalog~

Alaska Trappers Association

Page 6 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
Hop to:
#3106104 - 04/04/12 03:37 PM Re: Wolf kills, slaughter in the snow. [Re: Spek Jones]
fishermann222 Online   content

"OX"

Loc: Bethel, Alaska
Ok, are you terrified because they might kill you or because they will eat you?

#3106129 - 04/04/12 03:55 PM Re: Wolf kills, slaughter in the snow. [Re: Spek Jones]
Jordan Park Offline
trapper

Loc: Manitoba, Canada
Never looked at it that way before, but I would say I'm scared that they will kill me.

#3106421 - 04/04/12 07:13 PM Re: Wolf kills, slaughter in the snow. [Re: Spek Jones]
Spek Jones Offline
"FATHER"

Loc: Homer, Alaska
Gray dog, no limit under the trapping regs. There is a 5 wolf limit under the hunting regs.

#3106734 - 04/04/12 10:00 PM Re: Wolf kills, slaughter in the snow. [Re: Spek Jones]
alaska viking Offline
trapper

Loc: juneau, alaska
First thing I noticed is that Jordan's "statistics" came from the good old ADN.
One of my favorite quotes is the definition of statistics: "Numbers that have been tortured into submission."

#3107134 - 04/05/12 08:13 AM Re: Wolf kills, slaughter in the snow. [Re: Spek Jones]
Mira Trapper Offline
trapper

Loc: Cape Breton Island Nova Scotia
http://cryingwolfmovie.com/reviews/#comment-30 A much watch in order to get some real sense of how romanticing one animal above all others is cruel & unjust in the wolf's case.

There shouldn't be a sane person in the world that should believe wolf trapping & hunting is not a necessity in Wildlife management for the benefit of a whole ecosystem. Jordan needs also to know that wolves are hunted by air because they must be killed in larger numbers in remote areas or the net result is collapse of ungulates in those remote areas from over hunting from packs of 35 animals which require 9-10 lbs of flesh a day per wolfjust to survive. Certain areas of Alaska were so hard hit by wolf predation that the packs had to be reduced by what ever means possible.

Mac Leod Motto

#3107443 - 04/05/12 12:14 PM Re: Wolf kills, slaughter in the snow. [Re: Jordan Park]
Spek Jones Offline
"FATHER"

Originally Posted By: Jordan Park
Thanks Nunamiut, I didn't know they killed for fun. Makes it even more scary for me to go in the woods.

Quote: "I'm terrified of wolves" end quote.

Quote: "...I'm scared that they will kill me" end quote.

IMO, anyone that goes tramping around out in the woods without
some form of protection is simply asking for trouble. There is
several species of animals out there that can easily kill a human, and particularly an unarmed human. Here on the Kenai brown bear, black bear, moose or wolves can take you out under the right circumstances. That's just the way it is, and so you have to respect that. But being terrified to go out in the woods because of any or all of these animals is an irrational fear. Arm yourself and go on about your business. Just be prepared to defend yourself if the need arise's.

#3107500 - 04/05/12 01:06 PM Re: Wolf kills, slaughter in the snow. [Re: Spek Jones]
otterman Offline

Loc: SW Alaska
I live and hunt in one of the few areas in the state where we can kill any bull. I can personally say I have seen a big decrease in the moose population. I do not remember the last time I killed a really big bull. Normally it is a 2 or 3 yr old with a rack of 36 inches or less. Most of the heads with the racks have ended up in the bottom of the river. You can't eat antlers and they weigh more than I care to take home.
30 yrs ago if a wolf was killed in the village I lived in it was big news and everyone went for a look. Today it isn't a matter of if one will be killed but how many will I get and how many more will my nephews get. This year between the three of us the total was around 15-18 as best I can remember. Our moose populations has dropped. It use to be in the spring pretty much every cow had two calfs and by fall we saw 7-8 calf's per 10 cows. Now it is more like 3 calf's per 10 cows, wolves are probably equally responsible for this as bears in my opinion anyway.
One more thing, I do not buy red meat I can't afford the prices they want for it. Moose and an occasional caribou are our only source of red meat. I don't hate wolves or bears I enjoy them, and I enjoy hunting and trapping them, If we wipe them all out I loose that enjoyment, but there has to be a balance that allows me to provide the meat my family needs

#3107576 - 04/05/12 02:15 PM Re: Wolf kills, slaughter in the snow. [Re: Spek Jones]
Gen2600 Offline
trapper

Loc: Alaska
Originally Posted By: Spek Jones
some form of protection is simply asking for trouble. There is
several species of animals out there that can easily kill a human, and particularly an unarmed human. Here on the Kenai brown bear, black bear, moose or wolves can take you out under the right circumstances. That's just the way it is, and so you have to respect that. But being terrified to go out in the woods because of any or all of these animals is an irrational fear. Arm yourself and go on about your business. Just be prepared to defend yourself if the need arise's.

That's the truth. I believe irrational fear comes from not taking the time to educate ones self about whatever source the fear is stemming from. When you do learn about the woods and the animals who reside there you learn about their capabilities and where you fit into the equation. A wise man respects the animals and the woods and prepares for it. When he treats it with that respect his life span goes way up. That idea can be extrapolated to most anything, notably cars. I know that cars can kill if mistreated, I respect them, understand them and I've even had friends killed by them - but I'm sure not going to not drive one out of fear.

Ben Cochrum: "I should have packed an axe"

#3107870 - 04/05/12 06:09 PM Re: Wolf kills, slaughter in the snow. [Re: Spek Jones]
otterman Offline

Loc: SW Alaska
Originally Posted By: Spek Jones

some form of protection is simply asking for trouble.

I use to checking traps in the fall time after dark till one night I had a fox baking and making noise at me before I made the dispatch. All the while I was looking over my shoulder at the fresh brownie tracks in the snow. Never again with out a gun!

#3108627 - 04/06/12 02:07 AM Re: Wolf kills, slaughter in the snow. [Re: Spek Jones]
akpawpincher Offline
trapper

I always have a gun, but it often seems so inadequate...lol.

I laugh at wolves... laugh

#3109004 - 04/06/12 10:15 AM Re: Wolf kills, slaughter in the snow. [Re: Spek Jones]
Spek Jones Offline
"FATHER"

smile yep.

#3109647 - 04/06/12 06:37 PM Re: Wolf kills, slaughter in the snow. [Re: Spek Jones]
yukontrapper Offline
trapper

Loc: Galena Alaska USA
APP-holy macro bud that must mus be a squatch :-)

#3109680 - 04/06/12 07:03 PM Re: Wolf kills, slaughter in the snow. [Re: fishermann222]
trappin moose Offline
trapper

Loc: Saskatchewan Canada
Originally Posted By: fishermann222
Jordan I thkn you are missing the point, we are not saying wolves are the devil, we are saying they do what wolves do.

Fooseball is da debil!! smile (sorry, just had a movie flashback from the Waterboy)

#3109955 - 04/06/12 09:18 PM Re: Wolf kills, slaughter in the snow. [Re: Spek Jones]
RdFx Offline
trapper

Loc: Wisconsin
Two years ago when i went up by Denali a ranger or what ever you call the woods cops mentioned to me they were trying to knock the wolf population down around park so as to get the goat population back up... anyone on here from Denali area trapping or hunting the wolves in that area. From what i could see one [Please excuse my language... I'm an idiot] of an area to access and find the wolves.

#3109993 - 04/06/12 09:35 PM Re: Wolf kills, slaughter in the snow. [Re: Spek Jones]
Boco Offline
trapper

Loc: james bay frontierOnt.
Its all about management and balance and control.Wolves are notorious for killing anything that they can catch and will soon decimate the beaver population if left unchecked.I have witnessed a pack of wolves eating a live cow moose-healthy because the alpha male had her calf by the nose and was dragging it into the bush when I happened along.When their population gets out of balance on a trapping area every species will suffer for a number of years.Trappers in my area who fill large beaver quotas year after year are also proficient wolf trappers and take some every year also.Its all a matter of balance and man is an integral part of the equation.

#3110990 - 04/07/12 04:31 PM Re: Wolf kills, slaughter in the snow. [Re: akpawpincher]
garyalaska Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: akpawpincher
I always have a gun, but it often seems so inadequate...lol.

I laugh at wolves... laugh

[Please excuse my language... I'm an idiot] Sasquatch!

#3116946 - 04/11/12 06:06 PM Re: Wolf kills, slaughter in the snow. [Re: Jordan Park]
SnareLine Offline
trapper

Loc: NY
Never looked at it that way before, but I would say I'm scared that they will kill me.

I don't understand...why are you afraid they will kill you? Do you not carry a firearm? And if not, WHY not? I would be sure to be carrying around at least at least one long gun & one handgun, and a large knife, at all times, at a minimum.

Anyone ever have an incident where they had to protect themselves against an attacking pack? The way they circle you, up close, I would think that other than adrenaline making you shake wildly, it would be a pretty simple matter of shooting each one as fast as you can.

But then again, I have no idea of the reality of it, and can very possibly be talking out of my butkis...

#3117077 - 04/11/12 07:16 PM Re: Wolf kills, slaughter in the snow. [Re: Spek Jones]
Pittu Offline
trapper

I have spent thousands of hours in the wilds of AK both with and without a firearm. I never once gave wolves a second thought. Then again, I dont carry a ground rod with me in case I get struck by lightning either...sheesh...

Bears can be another story depending and what you are doing and where...

#3117153 - 04/11/12 07:57 PM Re: Wolf kills, slaughter in the snow. [Re: SnareLine]
Jordan Park Offline
trapper

Loc: Manitoba, Canada
Originally Posted By: SnareLine

I don't understand...why are you afraid they will kill you? Do you not carry a firearm? And if not, WHY not? I would be sure to be carrying around at least at least one long gun & one handgun, and a large knife, at all times, at a minimum.

Anyone ever have an incident where they had to protect themselves against an attacking pack? The way they circle you, up close, I would think that other than adrenaline making you shake wildly, it would be a pretty simple matter of shooting each one as fast as you can.

But then again, I have no idea of the reality of it, and can very possibly be talking out of my butkis...

Maybe I let my imagination take over? Maybe I've seen too many movies?

Yes I do carry a firearm when I'm out in the bush. Usually a .22 sometimes I take the shotgun.
Although I know the chances of a Wolf attacking me are slim, the small chance is still there.

Imagine soldiers in Afghanistan. Chances of the taliban killing them are slim, but you never know.

One other fact, when I go out to the bush, I park my vehicle at the start of a trail and proceed to walk in. It's not uncommon for me to walk 3 or 4 miles away from my vehicle. I don't have the luxury of zooming off on a sled laughing at a pack of Wolves as they chase me lol.
And many times I wander off trails and walk through the bush, just curious to see what over that valley or what's on the other side of the thicket.
Call me a baby, call me a girl, I don't care. I still love being out there, and even though I'm scared of what could happen out there, I still go. Some guys are afraid of breaking their leg while out in the bush or coming across meth labs. I'm scared of Wolves, Cougars, and Bears.

#3117442 - 04/11/12 10:12 PM Re: Wolf kills, slaughter in the snow. [Re: Spek Jones]
watarrat Offline
trapper

Loc: Lake Iliamna Ak
There was a pile of birds back in the cottonwoods and after a fashion we found a cow the wolves had killed with an unborn calf poking out,we pulled it out for a little clarity. From the amount of birds in the area I'd guess there is at least another kill or 2,, seasons over here but it would have been an ideal snaring situation!

Page 6 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >