Wilderness Trapping and Living

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar

Photo Gallery~Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulator Forum

~Dobbins' Catalog~

Alaska Trappers Association

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Hop to:
#3099000 - 03/30/12 09:17 PM Machete advise
onegunsmith Offline
trapper

Loc: Palmer AK
I have been looking at the Machetes that WRR has for sale on the main page. They look like some nice pieces and arent made in China so thats a plus. Since I don't own a Bravo, I'm not sure if I need one but it seems like it might be handy for choping willows or some other task. Of these pictured below which would you feel is best for trap line work?
Thanks!

#3099014 - 03/30/12 09:23 PM Re: Machete advise [Re: onegunsmith]
vegasjim Offline
trapper

Loc: alaska
The bottom one looks good, how much is it?I may have to get one of those for myself, gun hunting is getting a little boring.

#3099066 - 03/30/12 09:50 PM Re: Machete advise [Re: onegunsmith]
onegunsmith Offline
trapper

Loc: Palmer AK
65 bucks plus 35 shipping. We might be able to save on shipping if we put a couple in the same box. They are from the Philipines.

#3099152 - 03/30/12 10:23 PM Re: Machete advise [Re: onegunsmith]
Aknative Offline
trapper

Loc: Fairbanks AK
Machete has a lot of uses; clearing poles, cutting brush, jamming it under a trap and twisting to break it loose without creating a large disturbance. That's what I use mine for, and for that I like those bottom 2, but I'd change the handle into something easier to grip with cold snowy gloves.

#3099293 - 03/31/12 01:03 AM Re: Machete advise [Re: vegasjim]
akpawpincher Offline
trapper

Loc: Alaska
Originally Posted By: vegasjim
The bottom one looks good, how much is it?I may have to get one of those for myself, gun hunting is getting a little boring.

The weight forward blade on that one will get 'er done! To me most machetes are too light up front and don't generate enough force. I like that design. Besides, I would probably hurt myself with a pointy one.

#3099329 - 03/31/12 02:47 AM Re: Machete advise [Re: onegunsmith]
yukontrapper Offline
trapper

Loc: Galena Alaska USA
Buttom one looks down right good, actually can put two on a Bravo, one for each side :-)

#3099586 - 03/31/12 09:53 AM Re: Machete advise [Re: onegunsmith]
Dawgcatcher Offline
trapper

Loc: Rochester MN-ish
I have found the curved-handles on those top-3 seem to fatigue my forearm faster than 1 with
a straight-handle,like the bottom one.
The squared-off point is dangerous though,If it deflects off or goes thru further than what you expected
Theres No-way Id pay $100 for it though, try ltspecpro.com , and look at the #97HM/S
You could buy and lose a 1/2-dozen of those at that price !!

Edited by Dawgcatcher (03/31/12 09:56 AM)

#3099657 - 03/31/12 10:49 AM Re: Machete advise [Re: onegunsmith]
Dirt Offline
trapper

Loc: Armpit, ak
Nice to hear that I'm not the only one that tends to lose them. Not too bad. only about one per year. Even found one I lost a couple years back in the summer.

#3099678 - 03/31/12 10:58 AM Re: Machete advise [Re: Dirt]
Dawgcatcher Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: Dirt
Nice to hear that I'm not the only one that tends to lose them. Not too bad. only about one per year. Even found one I lost a couple years back in the summer.

LOl, I just went looking for 1 yesterday that I had with me this winter, stopped in the woods to take a leak
and stuck-it in a buck-thorn tree,zipped-up and left it there, about chest-height.
So I figured it would be easy to spot, well, now with the warm-weather we have EVERYTHING is blooming and the area
where I could normally see 70-100 yards thru the trees is reduced to about 20-40 yards because of the greenery,,
Thats why I buy those cheapy-ones, You can put a nice edge on them quickly,and it dosent hurt so bad when they disappear,
or when you accidently gouge the blade by hitting hidden rocks.

#3099807 - 03/31/12 01:23 PM Re: Machete advise [Re: onegunsmith]
akcowboytraper Offline
trapper

Loc: wasilla, AK
IMO i would go with a cheap one as well I have lost mine several times luckily and determined to recover it I have found it. I have the Gerber machete and love it It has a saw blade that has come in handy in several occasions. On top of that its got a rubber handle with a leash great for keeping the thing from getting away from you and I got this for 18 bucks.

#3100545 - 04/01/12 01:44 AM Re: Machete advise [Re: akcowboytraper]
Dawgcatcher Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: akcowboytraper
IMO i would go with a cheap one as well I have lost mine several times luckily and determined to recover it I have found it. I have the Gerber machete and love it It has a saw blade that has come in handy in several occasions. On top of that its got a rubber handle with a leash great for keeping the thing from getting away from you and I got this for 18 bucks.

I LIKE that one ! what is over-all length,picture makes it look like a 2-handed model

i like the full-length saw-blade,that would be slick !

#3101087 - 04/01/12 01:04 PM Re: Machete advise [Re: onegunsmith]
akcowboytraper Offline
trapper

Loc: wasilla, AK
I believe there are 2 lengths the one I have is 18" blade can't remember what over all length is I will have to find it an measure. Its got a one handed rubber handle I would have to say I have used it more then anything the saw blade is awesome.

#3101126 - 04/01/12 01:32 PM Re: Machete advise [Re: onegunsmith]
Hupurest Online   content
"Andy S wannabe"

advice... don't hit yourself in the leg with it..or a hatchet.. grin

I see that they aren't made in China, but is the phillipines any better??? whistle

You could get an old truck spring too and make one for alot less than $100..

The SOG and gerber ones people always try to bring back to the store. they look like curled ribbon....

Instead of using the to cut jungle grass and vines, most people see to think they are made for chopping logs......

#3102094 - 04/02/12 02:27 AM Re: Machete advise [Re: onegunsmith]
Aknative Offline
trapper

Loc: Fairbanks AK
I had that gerber one for a while, it was easy to bend the edge and the handle broke. I've got a Cold Steel one now, the edge stayed straight today when I was using it to limb trees that I was cutting for firewood. Cheap and I don't think it's made in the USA, but it was cheap so worth trying, and seems to work.

#3102110 - 04/02/12 04:55 AM Re: Machete advise [Re: onegunsmith]
Swed in Norway Offline
trapper

Loc: Norway @ N 69.685831
This is what I use, its $26.99 from http://www2.fiskars.com/Products/Yard-and-Garden/Axes-and-Striking/Brush-Axe , and it has been working great for me in 2 years now whithout bending or breaking.

Description
A machete with the power of an ax. The Brush Ax's thick drop-forged blade rips through underbrush-even small trees-like no flimsy stamped steel machete blades can. Even better, the long 21" FiberComp® fiberglass handle lets you swing this monster baseball bat style for serious wind-up power. We find the Brush Ax perfect for clearing the overgrown oak savannah that dominates our local landscape. Also a must-have for hacking trails through the willow-infested sloughs up north-ask us how we know.

Features
Drop-forged steel blade for greater strength and durability
Hardened steel blade with non-stick coating cuts with less effort
Insert-molded design prevents blade from loosening or separating from the handle
FiberComp® construction-reinforced fiberglass composite handle provides strength, durability and lighter weight
Includes sheath for safe storage and transportation
Lifetime warranty

#3102579 - 04/02/12 01:30 PM Re: Machete advise [Re: Swed in Norway]
Wolverinebait Offline
trapper

Loc: Tonsina, Alaska
Just got this in an email offer,... don't know about quality, etc, but at least it should be easy to hang on to,....

https://www.huntingclub.com/inside-track/exclusive-deals/1-sawback-kukri-machete-with-sheath.aspx

And no woman heard him,...

Was he still wrong,... ?

#3102601 - 04/02/12 01:47 PM Re: Machete advise [Re: Wolverinebait]
Dirt Offline
trapper

Loc: Armpit, ak
Originally Posted By: Wolverinebait
Just got this in an email offer,... don't know about quality, etc, but at least it should be easy to hang on to,....

https://www.huntingclub.com/inside-track/exclusive-deals/1-sawback-kukri-machete-with-sheath.aspx

I don't like the wrap around handle. I have a machete I bought at AIH probably 20 years ago that had the wrap around. When the machete pivoted in my hand the handle wrap around rubbed the back of my hand raw above the pinkie. I cut the wrap around part off. It was a rather narrow hole. If the wrap around hole was wider it may be alright.

#3102619 - 04/02/12 02:00 PM Re: Machete advise [Re: Swed in Norway]
Outdoors_Man Offline
trapper

this is the machete i have. its a cold steel two handed machete. its very durable but the handle is a bit too long. i dont know if i can cut it a little shorter. bought it for 40 dollars with a nice sheath.

#3102712 - 04/02/12 03:26 PM Re: Machete advise [Re: Outdoors_Man]
Birchcreekkid Offline
trapper

Loc: Circle, Alaska
spray paint them bright orange!! an old lawnmower blade makes a good machette and you can usually find them for free......

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

- Thomas Jefferson

#3102738 - 04/02/12 03:56 PM Re: Machete advise [Re: onegunsmith]
Kusko Offline
"Mr. Mayor"

Loc: Bethel, AK
I never would have guessed that a machete would have gotten that much attention. Sounds like we have another Bravo Mod thread here..... smile smile

www.alaskafinandfur.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >