Wilderness Trapping and Living

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar

Photo Gallery~Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulator Forum

~Dobbins' Catalog~

Alaska Trappers Association

Page 5 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
Hop to:
#3098284 - 03/30/12 12:39 PM Re: Snowmobile problems aint so bad when your trapping [Re: Kusko]
Nunamiut Offline
trapper

Loc: alaska
Originally Posted By: Kusko
Ben, what about using a drag instead of digging through 4 feet of snow? You could dig a trench for the drag, pack it in good with snow. We've held several wolves and wolverine by having the drag get packed in with snow. It was in there like concrete and we had to shovel/chip it out.

Those wolf kill pictures get my blood pumping!

We dont have trees or enough willows to use a drag, plus where I made the sets on top of the pass, there's powdered snow and cliffs everywhere. Not the ideal terrain for tracking a wolf with a drag. If Im ever trapping in the trees again, Im going to use that setup though.

#3098287 - 03/30/12 12:42 PM Re: Snowmobile problems aint so bad when your trapping [Re: northway]
Nunamiut Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: northway
Kusko, would probably work, but IF that drag came out, in Ben's country I would be surprised if you would find the drag trail with as open and windy as it is. I would surely want my animal to be anchored right there. Heck I lost a #9 last year that I had set with a drag. Got a huge wind and found the direction the animal went, but then nothing. SUCKED BIG TIME!

I hear ya on that one Northway.

#3098297 - 03/30/12 12:52 PM Re: Snowmobile problems aint so bad when your trapping [Re: yukontrapper]
Nunamiut Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: yukontrapper
Thats a Nice set, as long as he can't pull rocks out to get to the bait. But i think it will work. I want to dig out holes in the cut banks next Fall. For a few sets jus to make more permanent places. I am going to pull all my sets out this weekend, afraid the creeks and sloughs may start overflowing and it'll be crazy to go pull them if they are overflowed over 6 creeks to cross to get out there...Luck out there Bud.

I stacked up the rocks and jammed them In there to make it solid, I think it will work. I anchored my set to a sold rock inside the hole, I couldnt pull it out to help block the hole, so I figured it was solid enough. I stll have a couple of weeks left int the season before it starts getting too warm, were finally getting above 0 next week, a whopping 15 above!

#3098386 - 03/30/12 02:03 PM Re: Snowmobile problems aint so bad when your trapping [Re: Nunamiut]
Nunamiut Offline
trapper

My Bro Nigaaluk and I went and pulled our traps from the long line out yesterday, so we cut our traveling distance in half. The title name for our thread should have been, "Trap dodging wolverines". We had one wolverine go down our line and pass about 5 sets, he checked out a caribou head I had wired to a tree, BUT of course the snow didnt give when he stepped on the trap! He then worked his way to a tree I had lured with Algonquin, he approached the tree, then when he left he just hopped right over the trap!?!? My brother swears the wolverine's were watching us from the trees!
We didnt have any action around our snares besides some foxes but none connected. However, I did find some tracks that I could not identify, Ill upload later my photobucket is being cheap and wont let me load the pic.
We had a set on an old caribou kill on the river bed, Mr Qavvik came and set off the Victor #4 and his toes didnt get caught! Like I said, the story of our season!
On our drive home my brother and I made 4 more wolf urine post's, and 2 connie bear sets. The next trip out will be a lot shorter so we will have more time to set traps. We seen wolf signs from a fairly large pack, 12 at least running a new area of our line, we made 2 sets in that location, we're probably going to make 8 sets the next trip.
Trapping in the trees is certainly different, and challenging, for me at least. My hats of to the guys who do it every year! The qavvik didnt care much for my bucket sets, they just walked by our leaning tree sets with the connie brackets. They really liked the caribou head wired to a tree and a trap underneath, also caribou kills were a good set too, Algonquin has always been a good attractant for qavvik. Im sure the next time around I can apply what we learned this season and hope for the best. Until then, Im littering the open valleys with traps down to the last hour!
Here's a pic of some new Ram country I want to check out this fall.

The hole underneath the frozen water fall was like 10 ft tall!
My Bro and I on the ride home, you can almost make out the village in the backround 3 miles behind us.

#3098425 - 03/30/12 02:40 PM Re: Snowmobile problems aint so bad when your trapping [Re: Nunamiut]
HFT AK Offline
trapper

Loc: Wasilla AK
Ouch! That would be a little frustrating to say the least! Seed for next year! Just curious, but have you tried a skunky lure up your way?
Awesome looking country!

#3098426 - 03/30/12 02:41 PM Re: Snowmobile problems aint so bad when your trapping [Re: Nunamiut]
northway Offline
trapper

Loc: Tok, Alaska
Awesome pictures as always!

#3098457 - 03/30/12 03:06 PM Re: Snowmobile problems aint so bad when your trapping [Re: Nunamiut]
Kusko Offline
"Mr. Mayor"

Loc: Bethel, AK
Awesome pictures is right. You and your bro have that Eskimo Mafia look in that one pic. smile

www.alaskafinandfur.com

#3098562 - 03/30/12 04:32 PM Re: Snowmobile problems aint so bad when your trapping [Re: Nunamiut]
akpawpincher Offline
trapper

Loc: Alaska
Great pics and thread Nunamiut! You make me yearn for less people and more country!

#3098566 - 03/30/12 04:37 PM Re: Snowmobile problems aint so bad when your trapping [Re: HFT AK]
Nunamiut Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: HFT AK
Ouch! That would be a little frustrating to say the least! Seed for next year! Just curious, but have you tried a skunky lure up your way?
Awesome looking country!

I use Algonquin for a wolverine lure, for wolves, they seem to stay away from lures, darn them "trap savy" wolves.

#3098659 - 03/30/12 05:57 PM Re: Snowmobile problems aint so bad when your trapping [Re: Nunamiut]
yukontrapper Offline
trapper

Loc: Galena Alaska USA
Man keep it up, you'll connect when ya least expect it...always happens to me. Where are you getting Algonquin at? I'll try it here next season. I have to correct ya bud, our hats off to you to trap in a Tree less country :-) I'd be lost trying to figure it out. But i have to tell ya thats some neat country to be in. I like the mountains and how ya can see a longways off. Be good glassing out there. GL out there Bud. Cool pic of you and B.

#3099309 - 03/31/12 01:40 AM Re: Snowmobile problems aint so bad when your trapping [Re: Nunamiut]
Inupiaq Offline
trapper

Loc: Kotzebue, Alaska
Yoi, I heard Mickey's dad got a few wolves over there ah? Old man ain't that old, I guess.

I just set a couple wolf traps the other day. One's a trail set in the willows between two old wolf kills (moose). The other's a small spruce tree that 5 wolves gathered together and rubbed on it pretty good. MB-750s are all I have. There's a pack of 5 running around that area. I shot one a few weeks ago. A gray female. A couple days ago I tracked one high in the mountains, it was walking on a sno-go trail. If I made a hole like you show and freeze the chain in, will it hold if it's all that shale-type stuff? I thought about putting a set up there on that sno-go trail. One on the trail itself, and another near a big black rock next to the trail...maybe even put some dog pee from town at the base of it...idk.

Not much longer season here for us...it's getting warmer now. Bears will be out in a couple weeks. I got the fever for wolves bad, too. I wish I had more traps...next year. I sure learned a lot this year in terms of geography of the area, wolf travelling patterns...etc. I wanna invest in a couple #9s. I tried your method of placing a piece of hard snow over the trap. I kinda thinned mine out in the middle where it sits over the pan. We'll see what happens. I don't know how to post pics anymore...I'm using a Mac now.

I met your pops years ago when he was in Kotz. watching some basketball games. He told me of that set you describe with the rock next to the trail. He mentioned some "lobo lure". He also said to make sure the edge of the trap jaw is exactly 2" away from the rock. IDK, that's just what I remember. Good luck in the rest of your season. Say hi to Mick for me. Lance Kramer

#3099790 - 03/31/12 12:52 PM Re: Snowmobile problems aint so bad when your trapping [Re: Inupiaq]
Nunamiut Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: Inupiaq
Yoi, I heard Mickey's dad got a few wolves over there ah? Old man ain't that old, I guess.

I just set a couple wolf traps the other day. One's a trail set in the willows between two old wolf kills (moose). The other's a small spruce tree that 5 wolves gathered together and rubbed on it pretty good. MB-750s are all I have. There's a pack of 5 running around that area. I shot one a few weeks ago. A gray female. A couple days ago I tracked one high in the mountains, it was walking on a sno-go trail. If I made a hole like you show and freeze the chain in, will it hold if it's all that shale-type stuff? I thought about putting a set up there on that sno-go trail. One on the trail itself, and another near a big black rock next to the trail...maybe even put some dog pee from town at the base of it...idk.

Not much longer season here for us...it's getting warmer now. Bears will be out in a couple weeks. I got the fever for wolves bad, too. I wish I had more traps...next year. I sure learned a lot this year in terms of geography of the area, wolf travelling patterns...etc. I wanna invest in a couple #9s. I tried your method of placing a piece of hard snow over the trap. I kinda thinned mine out in the middle where it sits over the pan. We'll see what happens. I don't know how to post pics anymore...I'm using a Mac now.

I met your pops years ago when he was in Kotz. watching some basketball games. He told me of that set you describe with the rock next to the trail. He mentioned some "lobo lure". He also said to make sure the edge of the trap jaw is exactly 2" away from the rock. IDK, that's just what I remember. Good luck in the rest of your season. Say hi to Mick for me. Lance Kramer

That old man got like 3 wolves and 2 wolverine so far this winter.
I like using the hard crust over my wolf sets, but it seems too unreliable for wolverine sets, Id go with papertowel on those sets.
Yeah two inches is about what I use, you can see the approach trail to and from the rocks when they go along and mark their territory. I haven't found any Lobo lure my Dads collection of lures he had, maybe Ill look again. Ill let Mich know you said hello, they been tracking up north this year, lotsa caribou= lotsa wolves.

#3099803 - 03/31/12 01:20 PM Re: Snowmobile problems aint so bad when your trapping [Re: Nunamiut]
otterman Offline

Loc: SW Alaska
Nunamiut, Not sure if your aware but the use of Photobucket is no longer required to post pictures just click on the icon above the posting box with the blue arrow pointing up and take it from there. At one time there was a tutorial on it but I can't find it. I bet someone can though.

#3099806 - 03/31/12 01:23 PM Re: Snowmobile problems aint so bad when your trap [Re: Nunamiut]
otterman Offline

Loc: SW Alaska
Found it
http://www.trapperman.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/3095250/Searchpage/
1/Main/250852/Words/uploading+photos/Search/true/Re_How_do_you_post_pictures.html#Post3095250

#3105871 - 04/04/12 01:01 PM Re: Snowmobile problems aint so bad when your trapping [Re: Nunamiut]
Nunamiut Offline
trapper

I set out about 9:30 AM to go and check my line yesterday. I found some old lure laying around and used them on a couple of sets, one was labeled Daileys No. 2 and the other is unmarked so we'll see what happens. Usually, the wolves around the village stay away from lures so Im curious to see how they react to them. A pack was checking out my bait piles where I scored 1 wolverine and 1 fox from, a Bridger Special was set off by a wolf that was walking too close but no wolf, so strike 1. I pulled up to my set on a caribou kill, the pack came and feasted on the kill again, except they moved the kill some 10 feet away from my set, boo. As for the rest of my sets on their urine posts they did not run by this time around. I did make 1 more set and lured it with Daileys No. 2.
I pulled out of the pass and spotted 4 skiers standing around clear across the valley so I figured they we're checking out something in my trap.(fingers crossed) I weaved through the willows and made my way towards the other side of the valley. Before I reached them they scooted away from the kill off the snowmachine trail and I stopped just right in front of the kill, nothing in the traps. "Good morning, dont mind me Im just checking my traps," I said. "Where do you have traps?" asked on of the guys. "One right in front of the kill where your ski tracks end and another blind trap about a foot away from where one of you guys relieved yourself." "Oh, sorry we didnt know somebody would have traps set here," they exclaimed. So I went on to maintain the sets and carried on some small talk at the same time. When I was done we said our goodbye's and I moved on down the line.
I get to the end of the line where I had 2 sets on 2 different urine posts. BOTH sets were dug up by the pack, I can see where they were scratching at the sets just exposing the traps. It looks to me like they [Please excuse my language... I'm an idiot] on the set, and exposed the trap then they started to dig it up. Strike 2 and 3! Its frustrating and comical at the same time! I can just picture the alpha male holding a class on how to expose the dog of a trap without getting caught. "Now when you come across your urine posts and something looks different, you just start sweeping and scratching at a snow until you hear the snow has a hollow sound to it. When you hit that spot you just slowly scratch at the snow until you hit the metal, then you sniff it and thats what you look for."
I just ended up pulling those 7 sets further out so I don't have to go out as far to check traps. The story of my season, traps dug up, traps set off with no critters in them. The east country really has me beat this year. Its starting to warm up above 0 so I'll probably leave the traps out another week or so then its time to pull them.

#3105883 - 04/04/12 01:09 PM Re: Snowmobile problems aint so bad when your trapping [Re: Nunamiut]
FishinHank Offline
trapper

Loc: PWS, AK
Dang Nunamiut, I was hoping you would connect with some more of them. It is crazy how crafty those wolves get, hopefully the lure will throw them a curveball.

#3105911 - 04/04/12 01:28 PM Re: Snowmobile problems aint so bad when your trapping [Re: Nunamiut]
Kusko Offline
"Mr. Mayor"

Sucks for sure.

I would be willing to bet your "skiers" were school teachers......

People have told me in the past that when wolves scratch at traps, they have either been visually exposed or exposed by scent.

www.alaskafinandfur.com

#3105921 - 04/04/12 01:36 PM Re: Snowmobile problems aint so bad when your trapping [Re: Nunamiut]
piperniner Offline
trapper

Loc: Alaska
Darn those teachers ! Do you think they educated the Wolves ?

#3105924 - 04/04/12 01:38 PM Re: Snowmobile problems aint so bad when your trapping [Re: piperniner]
FishinHank Offline
trapper

Loc: PWS, AK
Originally Posted By: piperniner

That's a good one! grin

#3106206 - 04/04/12 04:49 PM Re: Snowmobile problems aint so bad when your trapping [Re: piperniner]
Kusko Offline
"Mr. Mayor"

Originally Posted By: piperniner

They are not all created equal, just most are bound into the same sterotype....... smile

www.alaskafinandfur.com

Page 5 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >