Wilderness Trapping and Living

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Dobbins' Catalog~

Trading Post
(Please support Fur Country Lures, our sponsor for the Wilderness Forum)

Alaska Trappers Association

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
Hop to:
#3082842 - 03/20/12 08:43 AM Re: ATA news: New Members and Magazine articles [Re: Alaskan]
TrappinAlaska Offline
trapper

Loc: Wisconsin
While on the ATA BOD I sponsored a young trappers writing contest and gave snares and traps to those that entered, similiar to the FF&G does. I had hoped to keep that going but when I left the idea left with me. Perhaps it could be picked up again and dare I throw out the idea that the ATA use some of the funds it has to purchase new traps to support such a cause, that is the cause of getting young trappers involved in trapping.

I see the ATA mentioned and advertised on Trapperman, perhaps ad space in the ATA mag for Trapperman could be worked out in exchange for use of the get threads posted here.

I would also like to say that chapters across the state are essential for the growth and unity of the ATA. Not to say that other trappers associations can't exist but ultimately a unified body of trappers across Alaska is what is needed when the rally call is given. There is still some hard feelings I think that linger under the ground all Alaskan trappers run their lines on and until that is dealt with and put away for good I don't think that their will be a unified body.

Best of luck to you Alaskan, your quirkie outlook is just what is needed!
NRA

Basswood Fox Stretchers Forsale

#3082867 - 03/20/12 09:20 AM Re: ATA news: New Members and Magazine articles [Re: Alaskan]
fishermann222 Offline

"OX"

Loc: Bethel, Alaska
Alaska Trappers Association Mission Statement
The Alaska Trappers Association endeavors to preserve and promote trapping through trapper education and public awareness.

Our philosophy is:
"Shared knowledge fosters responsible trappers and improves public understanding of trapping."

I have been spending some time recently looking at our mission statement and our philosophy. I think it would be great if we could get some wording in there about helping kids learn how to trap.

#3083105 - 03/20/12 12:07 PM Re: ATA news: New Members and Magazine articles [Re: Alaskan]
Hupurest Offline
"Andy S wannabe"

Loc: Alaska
How about a number to call in to listen to the board meetings and possibly ofer comment? (like we do with NW)
Along with an email of the minutes after, with the agenda/topics of the next meeting.

Since unless you live in FBKS, you have no idea what is going on at the meetings. the ability to call in and listen, and chance to participate STATEWIDE may draw a good bit of interest.

the other topic is the fling itself. Why not alternate it between fbks and Anc? Most of the bush folks have to fly to anc first anyways. they can always parlay it into a spring shopping trip. host it around or during fur rondy.
Doing so would increase the incentive to come to the fling. There is also a large population of trappers in and arround the surrounding Anc area that do not attend the fling. I don't go because of the cost to do it. I am too cheap to pay the $600+ it would cost to drive to fairbanks....there are people with kids who can't do it either, but I am sure would attend one here..

by making an EFFORT and including more people, it would expected to have more participation. There are plenty of hotels and places to hold it at in Anc, and there are plenty of businesses that would donate. It would also increase the community awareness, and that could increase the magazine advertising. Maybe AMDS would offer a trappers discount like Compeaus does, or others would.

i can't think of a valid reason why this doesn't currently happen.....

#3083131 - 03/20/12 12:26 PM Re: ATA news: New Members and Magazine articles [Re: Alaskan]
Top Jimmy Offline
"Assistant Speling Zcar"

Loc: Alaska, USA
Not like you can't have two or three Trappers Flings. One in Fairbanks, one in Anchorage, and one in Juneau. Just like you can have multiple chapters. Kind of like what DU does with banquets in most all towns.

-TJ

#3083155 - 03/20/12 12:39 PM Re: ATA news: New Members and Magazine articles [Re: Alaskan]
Alaskan Offline
"AMY SUE"

Loc: Gnome, Alaska
Hup, TJ- yup! I would think an Anchorage event would be a good idea, even if one took place in Fairbanks. A good fundraising effort for sure. Maybe even get together with the AFTA, and have a conjunctive Fling. SOLIDARITY!!!! (for those of you that have ever attended Union stuff they love to yell that...and it makes me want to punch them all in the face. smile ). hahaha

I'd think this a great way to get the ATA out there, and to MANY others for membership. I know a lot of hunters that would join to just be in support of the ATA, even if they didn't trap.

I'm sure i'll be swimming upstream on a lot of these ideas...but I'm willing to put my neck out there and fight a little bit. Gotta make waves in the pan to get the gold in the bottom.

Life member: NRA, NTA, AkTA, AkFTA, WiTA, MnTA, MoTA, OrTA

#3083164 - 03/20/12 12:43 PM Re: ATA news: New Members and Magazine articles [Re: Alaskan]
Hupurest Offline
"Andy S wannabe"

Loc: Alaska
I don't like the idea of two or three seperate ones..

that still segregates areas.....

Not a hard concept, 1 fling..... alternate areas.

#3083248 - 03/20/12 01:51 PM Re: ATA news: New Members and Magazine articles [Re: Hupurest]
Alaskan Offline
"AMY SUE"

Originally Posted By: Hupurest
Not a hard concept, 1 fling..... alternate areas.

Agreed, but I'm not opposed to multiple venues. Why only do one fundraiser when multiple would be achievable and reasonable? Opens up revenue avenues for helping/promoting/advancing the ATA. When funding is the major "why we don't...." do something, then this could alleviate it.

maybe one is bigger (with Trapper of the year honors alternating) and the other a get together for that area's people. Lots of options and this is why I posed such a post. I personally like the "one event" as it brings lots from all over the State to one area, at one event. And I like the idea of alternating it. but I also am no opposed to multiple events. Maybe a summer/winter, or multiple...???

At some point, as with the NRA and DU, the ATA will outgrow a singular event site that can hold our masses!!!!!!! smile

Edited by Alaskan (03/20/12 01:54 PM)

#3083350 - 03/20/12 03:22 PM Re: ATA news: New Members and Magazine articles [Re: Alaskan]
northway Offline
trapper

Loc: Tok, Alaska
I like it in Fairbanks. Being that is held in conjunction with the North American and having the fur auction make it a neat weekend to be in Fairbanks. There is going to be a dinner on June 2 in the valley, so that is going to allow the "cheapo's" to attend a function! smile

#3083634 - 03/20/12 06:49 PM Re: ATA news: New Members and Magazine articles [Re: Alaskan]
Family Trapper Offline
trapper

Loc: Homer, Alaska
Quote:
There is going to be a dinner on June 2 in the valley, so that is going to allow the "cheapo's" to attend a function!

And what might that be?

#3083760 - 03/20/12 07:42 PM Re: ATA news: New Members and Magazine articles [Re: Top Jimmy]
Pete in Frbks Offline
trapper

Loc: Fairbanks, Alaska
Originally Posted By: Top Jimmy
Not like you can't have two or three Trappers Flings. One in Fairbanks, one in Anchorage, and one in Juneau. Just like you can have multiple chapters. Kind of like what DU does with banquets in most all towns.

-TJ

I agree with TJ. I don't see any reason that there couldn't be additional "Flings" held in other venues.

There are a number of good reasons that the Fling has been held in Fairbanks on the 3rd weekend in March for the past 36 years. As Northway points out, it is held in conjunction with the Open North American, the fur auction and the myriad of "winter carnival" type of events that are held on that weekend each year.

Too, by holding it the same Saturday night, year after year, we get to keep our deal with the Westmark Hotel here in Fairbanks.

I have not been a Board member for several years now, but I doubt that the Board would vote to just unilaterally give up the Fling as a Fairbanks event that has been held for 36 consecutive years in the same town at the same time. The Fling is BOTH a popular source of entertainment AND a fundraiser.

As an aside, I sometimes wonder if most people have any idea of the amount of volunteer hours it takes to put on a profitable event of this magnitude? It is not always easy to marshall the people to pull it off.

To just throw all this aside on the chance that a new committee in a new location would do as well, riht out of the gate, in my opinion would be an unecessary gamble.

Especially if the main reason was to make Hup feel loved and appreciated without having to drive 300 miles....!

Pete

#3084011 - 03/20/12 09:06 PM Re: ATA news: New Members and Magazine articles [Re: Alaskan]
Alaskan Offline
"AMY SUE"

Pete- I agree and disagree. I agree that pulling off this event is not something that you just say "oh, we're going to move it" and it magically happens. That isn't going to happen, because, like you mentioned, orchestrating something like this takes a lot of volunteer hours. However, I've put many committee meetings, and while the task is daunting it is doable. Most of the volunteers for the ATA have centralized around Fairbanks, hence it was easier to do the leg work there. BUUUUT, if we can get support from people (like Hup and the others from Central AK, lots on this site) maybe we have people on the ground that can make this possible. With technology nowadays, it isn't as hard as it used to be to cater an event, and set up the logistics of it. Oh, it'll take people on the ground to make it happen, but I think as this site has proven...we have the right people to make something like this happen eventually. It's been in Fairbanks for 36 years, due to it starting as the IATA (big emphasis on INTERIOR), and because the magnitude of the Association wasn't as far reached in significant numbers back then. If the numbers and membership are expected to expand STATEWIDE, at some point the ATA will have to think about possibly putting the Fling on in another Location (really, the Westmark is close to being to small as it is). We have appreciated the last 36 years, and look forward to the many, many more to come. But they have to come with an open mind.

If the ATA wants to actually be statewide, the "Fairbanks only" mentality will have to change. It's just a fact. This is one of the major issues many have. Like i said to you 12 years ago, "i am what the future of trapping is."(yes, it may be a sad sight to see) and now i'm here to speak for the future of trapping. I don't expect to make drastic changes, but I will call out the ATA board if they look to expand membership and participation around the State....but not really let anyone outside of Fairbanks have a say. Can't have your cake and eat it too.

And in closing: Hup is a hebe. It could be 5 miles away and he'd try to find someone else driving to carpool with.

Keep the ideas coming. We've touched on the fling. Lets just look at membership increases, participation, and ideas for the magazine.

#3084260 - 03/20/12 11:28 PM Re: ATA news: New Members and Magazine articles [Re: Alaskan]
907trapper Offline
trapper

Loc: Wasilla, Ak / Central IL
Matt, my biggest complanit with the ATA is there is no point of contact other then the email link on the website. I let my membership expire a couple years ago when I could not get a response on emails sent on advertising in the magazine, just figured if they couldn't respond to a simple question I would spend my money else where. Oh just to let you know another email was sent on the 6 th still no response. Its not a good thing to alienate the trappers your trying to get to join.

#3084278 - 03/20/12 11:49 PM Re: ATA news: New Members and Magazine articles [Re: Alaskan]
Alaskan Offline
"AMY SUE"

907- a very good point. Again, this may be where I become a point of contact, especially from Tman members. I do know that the advertisement issue was raised. You are not the only one there, and an issue we are looking at.

Everyone- I head to Fairbanks in early April, and will try my best to meet with other board members (this will be unofficial as it isn't a meeting, but is when I'll be there) to bring up some of these issues. I plan to put together excerpts from this website and propose them on an agenda for upcoming board meetings.

Some of these issues, have been addressed in the past, but eventually just waned away. Again, hopefully my presence won't allow this to happen. Again, I consider all trappers in this State family (even the ones I argue with, I still hold them in higher regards then most people as I know the mettle of a trapper and what kind of person it takes to be a trapper). I'm excited to represent you all, and hopefully make the ATA stronger and for everyone.

Keep them coming guys and gals!!

Edited by Alaskan (03/20/12 11:51 PM)

#3084284 - 03/20/12 11:59 PM Re: ATA news: New Members and Magazine articles [Re: Alaskan]
907trapper Offline
trapper

Thanks Matt, I will renew my membership knowing us valley guys will have someone to get a hold off

#3084287 - 03/21/12 12:06 AM Re: ATA news: New Members and Magazine articles [Re: Alaskan]
fishermann222 Offline

"OX"

Loc: Bethel, Alaska
907 you should have let me know...

#3084305 - 03/21/12 12:37 AM Re: ATA news: New Members and Magazine articles [Re: Alaskan]
907trapper Offline
trapper

Fish, I guess I never made the conection ( I'm a little slow somtimes )

#3084539 - 03/21/12 08:22 AM Re: ATA news: New Members and Magazine articles [Re: Alaskan]
Top Jimmy Offline
"Assistant Speling Zcar"

Loc: Alaska, USA
I will admit contact was an issue for me as well. I had just signed up for a 3 year membership and tried and tried to get a hold of someone about upgrading it to a lifetime but couldn't ever get a response. I will admit that I have dealings with Randy on another side of life and could have probably just talked to him about it, but I didn't want to bug him about it. When the three years were done, I let it lapse.

-TJ

#3084678 - 03/21/12 09:43 AM Re: ATA news: New Members and Magazine articles [Re: 907trapper]
Pete in Frbks Offline
trapper

Loc: Fairbanks, Alaska
Originally Posted By: 907trapper
Matt, my biggest complanit with the ATA is there is no point of contact other then the email link on the website.

You might try either the official ATA telephone number (published on the website or listed in the phone book.) By the way, it is 457-1774

Or if for some reason that did not work, you could call ANY Board member.

Pete

Edited by Pete in Frbks (03/21/12 09:44 AM)

#3084742 - 03/21/12 10:41 AM Re: ATA news: New Members and Magazine articles [Re: Alaskan]
onegunsmith Offline
trapper

Loc: Palmer AK
I too ran into issues while trying to buy some products from the ATA. I did finally get my books and video but i sure didn't bother becoming a memeber. I'm thinking if the ATA wants to become a top notch trapping association they need to get some things sorted. It looks like many have been turned away from the ATA, by the actions of the ATA. If wee can find a way to fix some of these issues we could be well on or way to a strong organization in which to fight the anti's.

#3084758 - 03/21/12 10:53 AM Re: ATA news: New Members and Magazine articles [Re: Alaskan]
otterman Offline

Loc: SW Alaska
Not to beat a dead horse but Pete I don't see that phone number on the home page so it must be buried in the web site some place. This is beginning to sound a lot like an anti ATA post I think Alaskan was looking for ideas that would help make the organization bigger and stronger. I think we should all remember all the things ATA has done to help maintain our rights to trap in AK. the big one that comes to mind rght off the top of my head is wolf snares and our ability to still use them. How many wolves would some guys have caught not just this year but in there life if that referendum had passed. I think there is room for change there is and should be in any organization but change takes time and people do better when it is done in small steps not great big ones. We don't want to drive away the members we already have

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >