Wilderness Trapping and Living

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Dobbins' Catalog~

Trading Post
(Please support Fur Country Lures, our sponsor for the Wilderness Forum)

Alaska Trappers Association

Page 7 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Topic Options
Hop to:
#3120000 - 04/13/12 10:33 PM Re: Snowmobile problems aint so bad when your trapping [Re: Nunamiut]
Nunamiut Offline
trapper

Loc: alaska
Im frustrated that Im not connecting, but thats how it goes sometimes I guess, or in my case this winter, most of the time. Another opportunity will present itself, I have another week for a few sets so Im crossing my fingers and toes.

#3120084 - 04/14/12 01:02 AM Re: Snowmobile problems aint so bad when your trapping [Re: Nunamiut]
AKbeardog Offline
trapper

Loc: Copper Center, AK
Really like the first wolf what a beauty.

#3132162 - 04/23/12 02:00 AM Re: Snowmobile problems aint so bad when your trapping [Re: Nunamiut]
Nunamiut Offline
trapper

I was working on my Alaskan Trapper today and my wife hands me the phone,"You got a qavvik in your trap!"
I had plans to pull traps later in the day after turning wrenches, but those plans quickly changed. I had my 700 started and ready to boogie in 5 minutes flat.
This guy was caught on a caribou innards pile, set with a MB 650. I was impressed with the MB for catching all 5 toe's. Im probably going to invest in more of those for next season.

He ended up being a 30 lb. male. I had a pretty off season, but none the less a good one. I couldn't ask for a better day to pull traps!
Thats it for this years trapping journal, I learned a lot about trappin' in the trees and found out I'm out of my element when trapping in that territory. Although there was signs, out where I was at, I dont think Im going to be trapping out that direction for a while. The country is beautiful, but the ride was bumpy and windy as heck! I've been west, east and north of my village, south sounds like a challenge next winter but I have a lot of time to think about it. Until next winter, I'll find something else to hunt, hunting spring tuttu(caribou) with the bow sounds like fun. smile

#3132163 - 04/23/12 02:01 AM Re: Hopson's Trappin' Going out with a bang! [Re: Nunamiut]
Nunamiut Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: Nunamiut
Byron, Aapa and I set off early yesterday morning to go and check the line. We rolled up to my first set which has a trap on a kill and a blind set. I lured the set with some puppy [Please excuse my language... I'm an idiot] when I originally set it and a group of 4 wolves approached the set and just walked all over the [Please excuse my language... I'm an idiot]. I had my brother set up the traps while I directed him how to do it. Keep in mind hes been living in the city for 15 yrs so his trapping experience is limited. Now when we cut out our 1" crusted snow block to cover the trap an average block is about 1" bigger then the trap your setting, these blocks were 5" bigger then the traps we were setting so that's where we screwed up.
We set a trap about 20" away from the kill because of the high fox traffic, a wolf stepped on the outside of the trap and broke the crusted snow exposing the trap, another wolf stepped on the outside of the blind trap 10' away exposing it also. From the looks of it, they might have smelled the traps, but on the plus side the pack running the valley has about 10 wolves in it so not all of them know about the sets.
I pretty much got skunked on all the other sets, but we did set out a few more buckets and a few more #9's. Usually by now I have all my sets out, but with the collar bone still healing Im limited as to the labor work I can do. It just nice to get out into the country and enjoy company at the same time.
The ride home was hectic, we had to leave my 700 due to a worn out clutch that wont dis-engage. We were riding 2-up on the Trapper, and one guy on the sled. We ended up removing the seat of my 700 and mounting it onto the sled so the ride wouldn't be too bumpy.
So until next weekend........

#3132165 - 04/23/12 02:04 AM Re: Snowmobile problems aint so bad when your trapping [Re: Nunamiut]
FishinHank Offline
trapper

Loc: PWS, AK
Never a dull moment with your journal....if I ever have a season close to your off season I won't know what to do with myself.....Nice job bud. I enjoyed every update of your journal and you are a sportsman of the highest degree. My hat is off you to you sir.

#3132170 - 04/23/12 02:50 AM Re: Snowmobile problems aint so bad when your trapping [Re: Nunamiut]
Family Trapper Offline
trapper

Loc: Homer, Alaska
Nice going. Great way to end it all. Thanks for taking us along.

#3132340 - 04/23/12 08:35 AM Re: Snowmobile problems aint so bad when your trapping [Re: Nunamiut]
yukontrapper Offline
trapper

Loc: Galena Alaska USA
Nice Gulo! Job well done Nunamiut!

#3132419 - 04/23/12 09:37 AM Re: Snowmobile problems aint so bad when your trapping [Re: Nunamiut]
smalltimetrapper Offline
trapper

Loc: Interior Alaska
Nice way to end it, good looking critter.

Looking forward to your book.

#3132492 - 04/23/12 10:45 AM Re: Snowmobile problems aint so bad when your trapping [Re: Nunamiut]
white17 Online   content

"General (Mr.Sunshine) Washington"

Loc: McGrath, AK
Nice critter for sure. I'm curious what the signs in the trees said, and who put them there ?

#3132593 - 04/23/12 12:34 PM Re: Snowmobile problems aint so bad when your trapping [Re: Nunamiut]
HFT AK Offline
trapper

Loc: Wasilla AK
Congrats on the critter!! Thanks for sharing your trapping adventures for this year and I look forward to next!

#3133608 - 04/24/12 12:17 AM Re: Snowmobile problems aint so bad when your trapping [Re: Nunamiut]
Bushman Offline
trapper

Loc: Alberta
Nice way to close out the season. keep us posted on that caribou hunt.

Page 7 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7