Wilderness Trapping and Living

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Dobbins' Catalog~

Trading Post
(Please support Fur Country Lures, our sponsor for the Wilderness Forum)

Alaska Trappers Association

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
Hop to:
#3096600 - 03/29/12 12:12 PM Re: ATA news: New Members and Magazine articles [Re: Alaskan]
fishermann222 Offline

"OX"

Loc: Bethel, Alaska
Ok Dirt, I am nominating you come next Feb.

#3096634 - 03/29/12 12:38 PM Re: ATA news: New Members and Magazine articles [Re: Alaskan]
Kusko Offline
"Mr. Mayor"

Loc: Bethel, AK
"My First Machete"....that's funny!

Dirt, Nome is 3500 people stuffed into an area that should only inhabit about 200 people.

www.alaskafinandfur.com

#3096664 - 03/29/12 01:03 PM Re: ATA news: New Members and Magazine articles [Re: Alaskan]
Dirt Online   content
trapper

Loc: Armpit, ak
Things are getting better Bethel population 6300. smile Not there yet. Mcgrath population 360, or better yet, Skwentna population 13. smile Different worlds.

#3096667 - 03/29/12 01:04 PM Re: ATA news: New Members and Magazine articles [Re: Alaskan]
fishermann222 Offline

"OX"

PM me your full name Dirt, I will put in your nomination TODAY for next year.

#3096673 - 03/29/12 01:08 PM Re: ATA news: New Members and Magazine articles [Re: Dirt]
white17 Offline

"General (Mr.Sunshine) Washington"

Loc: McGrath, AK
Originally Posted By: Dirt
Originally Posted By: white17
It's imperative to make the organization relevant to rural trappers if we hope to get them as members.

I think that will never happen because most city dwellers ( Nome Population 3500) cannot relate to rural trappers wants and desires or lifestyle.

Remember; I said MOST!

But it's the ATA that needs to be relevant, not MOST city dwellers. A lot of rural trappers feel completely unrepresented by ATA IMO.

#3096677 - 03/29/12 01:10 PM Re: ATA news: New Members and Magazine articles [Re: Alaskan]
Dirt Online   content
trapper

I think a better option would be a sub 500 chapter. Most of the current mission statement and or programs are irrelevant to me and possibly other rural trappers.

#3096682 - 03/29/12 01:13 PM Re: ATA news: New Members and Magazine articles [Re: Alaskan]
fishermann222 Offline

"OX"

Dirt I am waiting for your PM, if you feel changes are needed to be made, step up to the plate, it is easy to whine, but takes work to make a difference.

#3096685 - 03/29/12 01:13 PM Re: ATA news: New Members and Magazine articles [Re: Dirt]
Hupurest Online   content
"Andy S wannabe"

Loc: Alaska
Maybe I should write an article about how an upgrade ain't always an upgrade. That ought to go over well. wink

OR maybe an article on all the trapping gear available at the local dump?

i am thinking snowmachine levitation would be better. that is if you are willing to divulge that secret. grin

#3096701 - 03/29/12 01:27 PM Re: ATA news: New Members and Magazine articles [Re: Alaskan]
Dirt Online   content
trapper

One vote will not accomplish change. What rural trappers or me want may be totally opposite of what urban trappers want or think is important. It is the urban trapper's club. It is not my place to change it. The power to change rest with urban trappers and if they want to attract rural trappers I made a suggestion.

Edited by Dirt (03/29/12 02:00 PM)

#3096704 - 03/29/12 01:29 PM Re: ATA news: New Members and Magazine articles [Re: Alaskan]
Kusko Offline
"Mr. Mayor"

Loc: Bethel, AK
So what is it you want changed that applies to only ghost towns and yurt villages?

www.alaskafinandfur.com

#3096718 - 03/29/12 01:40 PM Re: ATA news: New Members and Magazine articles [Re: Dirt]
fishermann222 Offline

"OX"

One vote will not accomplish change.

Then nominate others as well, use PERSUASION in the board meetings, your an intelligent guy, use it to your ability. Still awaiting that PM so i can nominate you.

#3096726 - 03/29/12 01:45 PM Re: ATA news: New Members and Magazine articles [Re: Dirt]
Dirt Online   content
trapper

It's imperative to make the organization relevant to rural trappers if we hope to get them as members.

I think that will never happen because most city dwellers ( Nome Population 3500) cannot relate to rural trappers wants and desires or lifestyle.

Remember; I said MOST!

Did I say I want change? Just my opinion. I don't care! I'm a member in good standing and have submitted many articles to the bare cupboards magazine, however ATA is pretty much irrelevant to me as a rural trapper. Personally, the ATA has been responsible for some good things and bad things as regards trapping here.

#3096755 - 03/29/12 02:04 PM Re: ATA news: New Members and Magazine articles [Re: Alaskan]
fishermann222 Offline

"OX"

Dirt, what is one of the bad things the ATA was responsible for? pardon my ignorance.

#3096764 - 03/29/12 02:11 PM Re: ATA news: New Members and Magazine articles [Re: fishermann222]
Dirt Online   content
trapper

Originally Posted By: fishermann222
One vote will not accomplish change.

Then nominate others as well, use PERSUASION in the board meetings, your an intelligent guy, use it to your ability. Still awaiting that PM so i can nominate you.

I'll think about it. Any of you fellas on here who know me. Send your thoughts PM whether I would be an asset or hindrance to ATA. Be brutally honest, I think I know my strong and weak points. Personally, I don't think the fit would be good.

#3096796 - 03/29/12 02:48 PM Re: ATA news: New Members and Magazine articles [Re: Dirt]
FullFreezer Offline
trapper

Loc: Alaska, E.F.R

I'll think about it. Any of you fellas on here who know me. Send your thoughts PM whether I would be an asset or hindrance to ATA. Be brutally honest, I think I know my strong and weak points. Personally, I don't think the fit would be good.[/quote]

Every trapper in ALASKA
Regardless of where he or she calls home/trapline has the ability to make the A.T.A better. the past can't be changed, only the future can be molded into something that will benefit everyone. I know i'm not perfect by any means but I want to help support. Dirt- never met you, but if there is something you see that you can change for the overall good - I'll be vote #2

#3098175 - 03/30/12 10:41 AM Re: ATA news: New Members and Magazine articles [Re: Dirt]
drasselt Offline
trapper

One vote will not accomplish change. What rural trappers or me want may be totally opposite of what urban trappers want or think is important. It is the urban trapper's club. It is not my place to change it. The power to change rest with urban trappers and if they want to attract rural trappers I made a suggestion.

Don't overthink it Dirt. Go for it!

#3098181 - 03/30/12 10:45 AM Re: ATA news: New Members and Magazine articles [Re: white17]
drasselt Offline
trapper

How about the ATA funding some pro trapping TV programs. I don't mean like sponsoring "My Biggest Whitetail With a Bow." I mean actually make the videos.

Great idea. Documentary style, matter of fact programs.

#3098186 - 03/30/12 10:52 AM Re: ATA news: New Members and Magazine articles [Re: Dirt]
drasselt Offline
trapper

What rural trappers or me want may be totally opposite of what urban trappers want or think is important.

Dirt can you give a specific example of what you mean?
Dean Wilson one time said to me "always keep the trapper in the bush and in the villages in mind" as regards stances on regulations. I have always tried to do that.

#3098192 - 03/30/12 11:01 AM Re: ATA news: New Members and Magazine articles [Re: Alaskan]
Pete in Frbks Offline
trapper

Loc: Fairbanks, Alaska
Gotta defend Dirt here. Unlike most rural trappers, he HAS contributed articles to the ATA magazine. And we really appreciate that.

If the rural guys don't submit stuff, how will the city slickers begin to comprehend how different it is on a rural trapline?

Pete

#3098200 - 03/30/12 11:10 AM Re: ATA news: New Members and Magazine articles [Re: white17]
Pete in Frbks Offline
trapper

Loc: Fairbanks, Alaska
One other thing I would like to see ATA do is lobby strongly for increased budgets for furbearer research. The local office here had a furbearer budget of $600 a few years ago. What good is that ?! An hour in a cub with the bio involved and that's the end of your money. It's absurd IMO.

How about the ATA funding some pro trapping TV programs. I don't mean like sponsoring "My Biggest Whitetail With a Bow." I mean actually make the videos. Iditarod has them, PBS extorts money from Dick Proenneke's memory several times a year, why can't we do something similar? Look at Bushman's private efforts on behalf of wolves & wolverines lately. Controversial maybe, but done the right way it could be imteresting, educational, and possibly self-supporting. Canada spends lots of money on fur animals. Why don't we?

Thanks for jumping into this Matt & Fish.

How about an article from Len...."My First Machete" ?

Agree with both these points. And to varying degrees, we have done both these things.

ATA has always been at the forefront of lobbying for increased furbearer management programs. (For what little good it has done....!) ATA was the driving force for the very first Statewide Furbearer Biologist position at ADFG. Granted, F&G has done a lukewarm job of utilizing that position sometimes, but at least they have the position. We continue to push for furbear budgets and programs.

Video production is a great idea too, but it is VERY expensive. Most TV-quality videos won't come in at much under $50,000 for production of a 20-30 minute piece.

Our video "Sharing Alaska's Trails" has in fact been used by KUAC, even though it is NOT television quality.

None of this is to suggest that more could not be done. Anyone who wishes to volunteer to help in either regard is welcome.

Pete

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >