Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support our sponsors for the Strictly Trapping Page - Trappers Post

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
Hop to:
#3093547 - 03/27/12 10:47 AM Re: Clint Locklear's "tiny-trap rant" [Re: Hover-Lover]
Carolina Foxer Offline
trapper

Loc: NC
In my opinion, heavier traps need more swivels and a longer chain. If you have a 3lb dumbbell in your hand and fling it around, you feel some tension and strain on your wrist and elbow. Take a 20lber and do the same, and you will feel it much more. Swivels will help to alleviate the momentum from the weight of the trap rolling over on their joints and causing this torquing. No such thing as too many swivels, no matter the size of the trap though...

#3093642 - 03/27/12 12:22 PM Re: Clint Locklear's "tiny-trap rant" [Re: Hover-Lover]
Boco Offline
trapper

Loc: james bay frontierOnt.
If bigger traps were better everybody would be trapping with bear traps lol.

#3093685 - 03/27/12 12:58 PM Re: Clint Locklear's "tiny-trap rant" [Re: Hover-Lover]
nidiffer Offline
trapper

Loc: Elizabethton, TN were the dog...
Been using them for rats for years
Genesis 3:21
romans 10:8-10

#3093760 - 03/27/12 02:14 PM Re: Clint Locklear's "tiny-trap rant" [Re: Boco]
TravC Offline
trapper

Loc: ozona TX
Originally Posted By: Boco
If bigger traps were better everybody would be trapping with bear traps lol.

i have yet to see a statement from you that proves your point

#3093764 - 03/27/12 02:16 PM Re: Clint Locklear's "tiny-trap rant" [Re: Otter04]
Hover-Lover Offline
trapper

Loc: Southern Utah (formerly Wyodep...
All of your pro and con comments are appreciated and I'll sure consider them when I purchase some gear for next year. I really dig T-man for that.

That being said, Otter04, I take issue with the last part of your first post

Originally Posted By: Otter04
... cmon, why put that crap out there...

You're criticizing me for asking a question that I thought needed some clarification and input from fellow trappers?

Really ?

- Wyo

#3093795 - 03/27/12 02:42 PM Re: Clint Locklear's "tiny-trap rant" [Re: Hover-Lover]
TravC Offline
trapper

Loc: ozona TX
wyo i think he was commenting on locklears rant

#3093888 - 03/27/12 04:08 PM Re: Clint Locklear's "tiny-trap rant" [Re: Hover-Lover]
Boco Offline
trapper

Loc: james bay frontierOnt.
Trav go out and trap a fox with a #5 bridger and then get back to me.

#3093897 - 03/27/12 04:16 PM Re: Clint Locklear's "tiny-trap rant" [Re: Hover-Lover]
lyonch Offline
trapper

Loc: Central Minnesota
P-Skinny said it best!!

#3094085 - 03/27/12 06:49 PM Re: Clint Locklear's "tiny-trap rant" [Re: Hover-Lover]
trappertony2211 Offline
trapper

Loc: upstate ny
i believe each trapper has his own reasons for using different sized traps.ive never had a mink get out of a #3 jump trap,my favorite mink trap,however ive lost a many a mink in #1s and#2s when ive had to use them in situations where a #3 wouldnt fit.i just pulled all my rat sets off the hudson river yesterday,i had more 220s set than 110s.like i said there are different reasons for using different sized traps for the same animal,theirs no right or wrong answer in what size trap a trapper uses,as long as its a legal sized trap and the trapper who sets it has confidence in his set.

#3094329 - 03/27/12 08:57 PM Re: Clint Locklear's "tiny-trap rant" [Re: Hover-Lover]
Redeagle Offline
trapper

Loc: Missouri
A dry land coon caught in any size trap BY THE FRONT FOOT will chew once his foot goes numb. It's just what coons do. Target the hind foot as was mentioned above if you are trapping coons dry land. I've caught them in #4 Dukes by the hind foot in my coyote and bobcat sets and those traps work fine, with no foot damage problems caused by the size of the trap. I must state that my traps are attached to drags with 8'+ chains.

#3094429 - 03/27/12 09:36 PM Re: Clint Locklear's "tiny-trap rant" [Re: Hover-Lover]
Carcat Offline
trapper

Loc: Upstate, S.C.
Original posters question: Im gonna target some coon and fox next year and was getting ready to order a bunch of 1.5 coils, when I came across an interesting take from Clint Locklear titled a rant on the tiny trap club:

I think most trappers would agree that 1.5s work fine for coons and foxes. The real perplexing issue in my mind arises when you have to expect some coyotes to get caught.

#3094617 - 03/27/12 11:55 PM Re: Clint Locklear's "tiny-trap rant" [Re: Hover-Lover]
KawTrapper Offline
trapper

Loc: Nebraska
who cares.. catch and kill the dang things. They're wild animals...not friends or things with feelings.

#3094639 - 03/28/12 12:21 AM Re: Clint Locklear's "tiny-trap rant" [Re: KawTrapper]
mauser06 Offline
trapper

Loc: SW Pennsylvania
if traps broke bones id have numerous broken fingers and most everyone else on here would too!! ive taken full whacks from 4 coiled 2s and 3s...some closed jaws..some offset...some laminated..some not...

ive found the offset laminated jaws to be the most comfortable laugh

#3094819 - 03/28/12 08:16 AM Re: Clint Locklear's "tiny-trap rant" [Re: Hover-Lover]
Coon King IV Offline
trapper

Loc: Missouri
If Im targeting coons on dry land I'll use a DP. Other wise bigger will always be better in my book.

Back foot catch with a big foot hold is ideal for sure.

If your in an area with expensive cats or otters and your using smaller traps all I can say is THANK YOU!

#3094841 - 03/28/12 08:37 AM Re: Clint Locklear's "tiny-trap rant" [Re: mauser06]
Happy Birthday CLT Offline
trapper

Loc: st. lawrence county ny
Originally Posted By: mauser06
if traps broke bones id have numerous broken fingers and most everyone else on here would too!! ive taken full whacks from 4 coiled 2s and 3s...some closed jaws..some offset...some laminated..some not...

ive found the offset laminated jaws to be the most comfortable laugh

X2 mauser LOL

#3095034 - 03/28/12 11:02 AM Re: Clint Locklear's "tiny-trap rant" [Re: KawTrapper]
LT GREY Offline
trapper

Loc: Central Ohio
Originally Posted By: cooncrazy0104
who cares.. catch and kill the dang things. They're wild animals...not friends or things with feelings.

Well, I beg to differ...

True, they are wild animals...but if you're a trapper in the 21st century, the rule of thumb is to treat the animal as humanely as possible, even though you are going to end up harvesting it.
Small traps VS larger traps, I've done it both ways...
However, all my traps JAWS are LAMINATED and the chains are HEAVILY SWIVELED !

Can a trap have TOO MUCH POWER ?
Well, depends on what it catches...
Catch a small 'coon or a rabbit in a coyote trap...you'll see what I mean.
Now, I think when Clint was talking...( and I don't remember reading that thread and I certainly can't speak for him )... about coyotes, cats, beaver etc.
A larger trap and pan does cover a bigger area...and yes, as a percentage will increase your odds of catching more animals.

On a front foot catch on skunk and raccoon with a #2 or larger trap, you will see some damage. On a back foot, not so much...
You never want a lot of space between the jaws on a animal that chews on the trap...because then you will start seeing paw damage.
More damage is done, IMO, when a trap stops swiveling...then the animal binds up.
Not good.

Off -set laminated/or wider jaws are much better than a thin jaw... Heavy swivel chains, and all my traps have them are way more comfortable than just one swivel.
All my footholds are fully modified...I don't set one that isn't.
Still, I catch some non-targets and even on target animals there are so damage, regardless of how I try to avoid it...
When you dispatch an animal in a trap, in many cases you won't see much, if any, damage.
Pen the animal up live and without proper shots to reduce swelling, you will otherwise see differently.

Larger trap-pan-kill area = more caught animals, per visit....generally, yes, that is the case, so Locklear has a good point.

When you do predator control, you only care about a dead predator...that's the name of the game...

Just because you don't see damage on an animal, doesn't mean none has happened...

#3095103 - 03/28/12 12:10 PM Re: Clint Locklear's "tiny-trap rant" [Re: LT GREY]
Mac Offline
trapper

Loc: Maine
Very good pos LT. Everyone should read it.
Mac

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
Edmund Burke

#3095458 - 03/28/12 04:58 PM Re: Clint Locklear's "tiny-trap rant" [Re: Boco]
Caleb Matthews Offline
trapper

Loc: Arkansas SE
Originally Posted By: Boco
Trav go out and trap a fox with a #5 bridger and then get back to me.

Actually boco in his cat collector dvd he catches coon in the cdr's and not so much as a
hair was harmed!
I'd rather get my hand in a #3 than a 1/1/2 any day.
And as far as his skills go he catches 100 plus cats every year so apparently he is doing somthing
right!
And by the way I have caught coon also in a #5 bridger laminated, guess what ZERO DAMAGE.

http://calebmatthewslures.blogspot.com/

#3095577 - 03/28/12 06:19 PM Re: Clint Locklear's "tiny-trap rant" [Re: Hover-Lover]
Calvin Offline
trapper

Loc: South metro, MN
Many trappers get into a rut and fail to move foreward. The exact same reason why guys are still using a 1.75 for coyotes and #1 single longsprings for rats.

Like him or not, Clint isn't afraid to step outside the trappers rule book (which many can be debunked) and try something new. And those types generally excel.

Pro trappers started using 1.5s, #2s and even #3s for rats and got labeled "inhumane" by their brother trapper (pffft)....which was far from it and made a ton of sense if your brain was working.

Serious coyote men start at #3s and go up from there (because they have tested them head to head with smaller traps and sold every #2 they own).

Now Clint uses the #5 longspring (a pretty slow trap that doesn't hit that hard) and everyone jumping his butt. Typical.

#3095684 - 03/28/12 07:21 PM Re: Clint Locklear's "tiny-trap rant" [Re: Hover-Lover]
Satchel Offline
trapper

Loc: Kentucky
Well said Mr. Skinny and Mr. Grey. Thank you gentlemen for the knowledge that you contribute to this board.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Drifter, tmrschessie