Wilderness Trapping and Living

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Dobbins' Catalog~

Trading Post
(Please support Fur Country Lures, our sponsor for the Wilderness Forum)

Alaska Trappers Association

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Hop to:
#3060330 - 03/06/12 11:06 PM Re: 2012 Trappin Moose's Season [Re: trappin moose]
HFT AK Offline
trapper

Loc: Wasilla AK
Hang in there dude! It will happen, maybe not this year but next. Your seeing the patterns, next year they will do the same exact thing, give or take a little.
As for the dude on the 4 wheeler, What I normally do is hang a snare or two right on my trail with a big stick or log over it. 9 outta 10 times the person turns around once they realize someone is trapping that area. Might mean a little more work for you but it gives you some peace of mind. There are a few other tricks I could tell you via PM.

#3061640 - 03/07/12 06:22 PM Re: 2012 Trappin Moose's Season [Re: trappin moose]
Spek Jones Offline
"FATHER"

Loc: Homer, Alaska
TM, it kinda sounds like to me that maybe someone else got into
that pack while they were gone from your area. It is kinda
unusual for the youngun's to be running out on their own unless
they are the remnant of a pack. They will sometimes spread out
across a wide area when they are on the hunt and you may see what appears to be young ones running alone but they are really
not too far away from the leaders, easily within howling distance. Especially with large packs, I have seen groups of
4 to maybe 8 or so adults split off and go fairly long distances before joining back up with the main pack, but the pups don't normally do that.
When you get some remnants of packs running like that it is usually not long before a lone male that has been kicked out of another pack will round them up, and form a new pack.
Another thing about them, the young ones are not the greatest at taking down prey, so are often hungry and more
inclined to check out a bait. At the same time, they have watched other members of their pack caught in traps or snares
and so, even though they are young, they can still be highly
educated. So don't feel bad about not catching the young ones, they may be sharper than some adults when it comes to
avoiding your snares and traps.
Like HFT said, hang in there, you're figuring them out.

#3062115 - 03/07/12 09:28 PM Re: 2012 Trappin Moose's Season [Re: HFT AK]
trappin moose Offline
trapper

Loc: Saskatchewan Canada
Originally Posted By: HFT AK

As for the dude on the 4 wheeler, What I normally do is hang a snare or two right on my trail with a big stick or log over it.

I thought about putting a dummy snare, maybe just a looped cable, with the bottom at about 5 feet up and tied way up a tree just as a joke. LOL. Put it right on his trail where he was checking my snare out. If the guy had a sense of humour it would be funny as heck. LOL.
Thanks for the encouragment. It helps to get me to the next check at least. When I used to get pressured from others or find out I had some competition, I would give up and pack it in. BUt not so much anymore. I think I will just hold my ground and hope they dont bother anything or steal my gear. I'd put up a trail camera, but then it might go missing also. LOL.
Spek, you could be right. The three smaller tracks could be the remnants of the pack. I covered alot of ground, but didnt see any other tracks crossing the trail. The big male is definatly not running with them if it is the same pack. SOmebody must have got him or ??? Maybe I did and he went off and died when I had that chew out. I have a few more weeks at it yet..... Wish me luck.
Here is a nice coyote we got that wrapped up perfectly and was laying down perfectly when we got there.

Edited by trappin moose (03/07/12 10:37 PM)

#3090168 - 03/25/12 01:36 AM Re: 2012 Trappin Moose's Season [Re: trappin moose]
trappin moose Offline
trapper

Well guys and gals. I was mistaken on the wolves. The smaller wolves, (the group of three) came through. I set their trails as mentioned earlier. Three days later a group of three adults came through on the same trails following a simaler route. They didnt go near the bait site. My winter trapping is done, just waiting for some open water. Shipped my fur out today to NAFA for the first time ever. Wish me luck. Sounds like beaver are doing well, and I'm glad cause they were a pile of work.

Here is a video summing up the end of winter 2011-2012. It was fun and I learned alot.
http://youtu.be/3JtCNJfNp1o

Edited by trappin moose (03/26/12 10:59 PM)

#3093127 - 03/26/12 11:01 PM Re: 2012 Trappin Moose's Season [Re: trappin moose]
trappin moose Offline
trapper

Pic added for those that cant watch the video................

#3093184 - 03/27/12 12:02 AM Re: 2012 Trappin Moose's Season [Re: trappin moose]
otterman Offline

Loc: SW Alaska
Those are some nice looking Coyotes

#3093801 - 03/27/12 02:47 PM Re: 2012 Trappin Moose's Season [Re: trappin moose]
Sask hunter Offline
trapper

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
Looks good! Your right beavers are a pile of work, but I guess that is the price you have to pay to have some of the best bear bait ever. Your yotes should do real well, I know mine did in the Feb. auction.

Edited by Sask hunter (03/27/12 02:48 PM)
Edit Reason: spelling

#3094514 - 03/27/12 10:19 PM Re: 2012 Trappin Moose's Season [Re: Sask hunter]
trappin moose Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: Sask hunter
Looks good! Your right beavers are a pile of work, but I guess that is the price you have to pay to have some of the best bear bait ever. Your yotes should do real well, I know mine did in the Feb. auction.

Thanks,I hope they do ok. My first batch of coyotes this year were caught as a byproduct of trying to catch wolves. I was happy to get them, but not targetting them. The more I caught, I realized its nice to have a bit of gas money, and started to set the odd coyote trail. I have always sold to TNWC but never really had big batches of fur to sell. Always a few of everything. Figured this batch deserved to give NAFA a try. Buyer offered me a good offer on the beaver, so they must be on the rise. So I shipped. (grin) I used to work for TNWC and if my old boss knows something is up,it usually is.
I can skin and flesh a beaver about as fast as a fat coyote. Just because I have done alot more of them. But when it comes to stretching, taking them off the board, and the finishing work. The beavers sure eat up the time. I am still shooting to break the 100 mark for beaver this year. Going to try some float sets and castor mounds this spring,along with shooting them.

#3094610 - 03/27/12 11:43 PM Re: 2012 Trappin Moose's Season [Re: trappin moose]
Sask hunter Offline
trapper

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
You should be set for bear bait then this spring. How many baits are you running this year? We don't have many beavers around here so we just shoot a couple every spring. Just enough to get the baits started and get some beaver smell in the area. Usually we take a beaver and cut it in half. That way each of our baits gets half a beaver when we originally bait and then another half later in the year. We have been shooting the beaver with some federal hollow point lead 22 shells (the ones you buy in the 333 packs) Those bullets go in an they are just like a solid. All the ones I have pulled out could probably be reloaded. Your right practice does make you more efficent. The 1st coyote I ever skinned took me nearly 3 hrs and now I can skin them in about 15 min. Since I have got a fleshing knife my fleshing time has decreased as well. Do coyotes and wolves use seperate trails into the bait?

#3095237 - 03/28/12 02:12 PM Re: 2012 Trappin Moose's Season [Re: Sask hunter]
trappin moose Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: Sask hunter
Do coyotes and wolves use seperate trails into the bait?

The ones I saw this year did for the most part. There were two sets where the coyotes went around something and the wolves went right through, I made a couple sets at these spots, and after a couple weeks a coyote was caught in each one. Not one coyote track within 5-6 feet, then one day they just decide they are going to go through instead of around. I need to get myself a fleshing beam and proper draw knife or whatever they are called.

#3130391 - 04/21/12 04:10 PM Re: 2012 Trappin Moose's Season [Re: trappin moose]
trappin moose Offline
trapper

Well, I have been after the beavers and rats. Shot my biggest beaver ever. I never used to weigh them till this year, but just by carrying this guy I am sure he is darn close to the biggest @ 68lbs. Beautiful pelt on him yet too! Fleshing him was like fleshing a small quilt. Caught a few 55 to 60 pounders also. Nice ones!
And I caught my first otter in a 330 belisle superx on a beaver slide into a creek. I couldnt stop grinning for about an hour. I have tried unsuccesfully to trap otters the past 2 years, and here I catch one without trying. I had that bubbly butterfly feeling when I pulled him up. I dont think he is a big one, he was 28 lbs. Just a teenager I am guessing. I skinned for taxidermy and a buddy of mine is going to have him mounted. I cant wait to see it.
Can anyone tell me what kind of weights those otters get up to? I think I have heard of 40 plus pounds for sure.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2