Wilderness Trapping and Living

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Dobbins' Catalog~

Trading Post
(Please support Fur Country Lures, our sponsor for the Wilderness Forum)

Alaska Trappers Association

Page 6 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
Hop to:
#3090622 - 03/25/12 12:43 PM Re: Skidoo expedition 600 ACE [Re: fishermann222]
Dirt Offline
trapper

Loc: Armpit, ak
Originally Posted By: fishermann222
yep rear shock, they are oil filled shocks I guess. THey are JUNK. Alaskan you will know it when it breaks, you can't even ride sitting down. Pretty sure I am a few inches shorter today. I fell like dirt.... LOL

I am calling ANC tomorrow and hope to find a gas filled shock that will fit.

So you felt like a man today. Feels like you actually did some work. Good for you. grin

#3090627 - 03/25/12 12:47 PM Re: Skidoo expedition 600 ACE [Re: fishermann222]
fishermann222 Offline

"OX"

Loc: Bethel, Alaska
grin you crack me up grin

#3090725 - 03/25/12 02:45 PM Re: Skidoo expedition 600 ACE [Re: fishermann222]
akntrpr Offline
trapper

Loc: Tok, Ak.
Raising your seat does not raise your center of gravity unless your seat is really heavy. A rider is the "ballast" if you will and not fixed to the machne. Raising the rider improves your control as your "ballast" is movable and at a higher level improving "leverage" to correct for machine roll.

non illigitimi carborundum

#3090777 - 03/25/12 03:56 PM Re: Skidoo expedition 600 ACE [Re: fishermann222]
decoy Offline
trapper

Loc: north Idaho
Thanks Alaskan, now the question is this: which one for making your own trail vs grommed & what is snow checked? Thanks

#3090790 - 03/25/12 04:08 PM Re: Skidoo expedition 600 ACE [Re: fishermann222]
Brother Dave Offline
trapper

Loc: SE Alaska
snowchecked means you put down a deposit now and reserve a sled (and the price) for yourself for next season. i don't know when the sled will become available, nor do i know when the snowcheck deadline is. i think sometime in April but whether early or late April, I'm not sure.

you get some 'free' goodies when you snowcheck...10% off parts in the future, couple days free in Vegas, etc. i don't know the particulars. supposedly you end up about $1000 to the good by snowchecking.

I just did it to reserve myself a sled..the 2012 exped sports were pretty popular and i couldn't find any '12 models left by end of season.

#3090795 - 03/25/12 04:15 PM Re: Skidoo expedition 600 ACE [Re: fishermann222]
Alaskan Offline
"AMY SUE"

Loc: Gnome, Alaska
When I snowchecked mine I put $500 down. I had the option of accessories or extra warranty. You are "guaranteed" the earliest sled when they arrive, and the lowest price (or at least thats what I got). So if they ever lower the price (even on clearance) you get it.

Best sled for making your own trail, and not getting stuck, would be the Long track of the Tundra or Expedition. If you're in trees, and want the nimbleness of the Tundra...that's your route. If ride comfort is #1, then the Expedition. Groomed trail: Renegade.

Life member: NRA, NTA, AkTA, AkFTA, WiTA, MnTA, MoTA, OrTA

#3090799 - 03/25/12 04:19 PM Re: Skidoo expedition 600 ACE [Re: akntrpr]
Spek Jones Offline
"FATHER"

Loc: Homer, Alaska
Originally Posted By: akntrpr
Raising your seat does not raise your center of gravity unless your seat is really heavy. A rider is the "ballast" if you will and not fixed to the machne. Raising the rider improves your control as your "ballast" is movable and at a higher level improving "leverage" to correct for machine roll.

Yep, changing the center of gravity would be tying three wolves on top of an already loaded rack on the back of a tundra 300.
Sort of like trying to stand up on a floating beachball. smile
On the up side, they seem extremely stable after you get the load off.

#3090822 - 03/25/12 04:34 PM Re: Skidoo expedition 600 ACE [Re: Alaskan]
fishermann222 Offline

"OX"

Originally Posted By: Alaskan
When I snowchecked mine I put $500 down. I had the option of accessories or extra warranty. You are "guaranteed" the earliest sled when they arrive, and the lowest price (or at least thats what I got). So if they ever lower the price (even on clearance) you get it.

Best sled for making your own trail, and not getting stuck, would be the Long track of the Tundra or Expedition. If you're in trees, and want the nimbleness of the Tundra...that's your route. If ride comfort is #1, then the Expedition. Groomed trail: Renegade.

X2

#3090873 - 03/25/12 05:20 PM Re: Skidoo expedition 600 ACE [Re: fishermann222]
Family Trapper Offline
trapper

I think you have to be willing to get your lazy butt off the seat at the end of the day or it adds to the COG. ;0)
I stand corrected. I am headed out the door to go test the theories and pick up the line. See you on Tueday night.

#3091564 - 03/26/12 04:33 AM Re: Skidoo expedition 600 ACE [Re: fishermann222]
Kusko Offline
"Mr. Mayor"

Loc: Bethel, AK
Wow, two broken shocks at 2k....ouch! Dealing with a broken shock is ok.....how are the springs???

www.alaskafinandfur.com

#3091793 - 03/26/12 10:22 AM Re: Skidoo expedition 600 ACE [Re: fishermann222]
Spek Jones Offline
"FATHER"

Maybe like windshields and carburetor boots, BRP Corp has found
another part (shocks) that can be designed to fail, the price of replacement parts can be tripled, and they can extort more
money out of the ignorant masses. smile

#3091868 - 03/26/12 11:40 AM Re: Skidoo expedition 600 ACE [Re: fishermann222]
drasselt Offline
trapper

Loc: Alaska
Spek are you saying you have a line on replacement shocks other than BRP?

#3091893 - 03/26/12 12:16 PM Re: Skidoo expedition 600 ACE [Re: fishermann222]
Spek Jones Offline
"FATHER"

Drasselt, no, actually I'm just kinda jaded from replacing parts that it has been proven can be made much more durable, and having to pay a much higher price for them than what would be a reasonable price. There probably is an aftermarket for the shocks, but I have been looking for a durable aftermarket part for the carb boots and can't find one. I get one season per carb boot on my tundra. The old polaris carb boots made thirty years ago was of material that would outlast the machine. Beside the fact the boots cost $160 there is the constant risk of blowing up an engine when a boot gets a hole in it. BRP knows it's a problem, one that can be easily remedied, but they choose not too.
Same situation with the windshields. Pure lexan will not break if bent double, and certainly not just by getting a little whack from a willow branch. Why not make windshields out of it?

End of rant.
smile

#3091931 - 03/26/12 12:53 PM Re: Skidoo expedition 600 ACE [Re: fishermann222]
Alaskan Offline
"AMY SUE"

Loc: Gnome, Alaska
Spek- amen!

Life member: NRA, NTA, AkTA, AkFTA, WiTA, MnTA, MoTA, OrTA

#3091956 - 03/26/12 01:12 PM Re: Skidoo expedition 600 ACE [Re: fishermann222]
drasselt Offline
trapper

Loc: Alaska
Spek-got it and couldn't agree more although I've gotten good service from ski doo windshields. One thing that might help with the carb boots is treating with armor-all 2-3 times a year. It sure lengthens the life of rubber boots.

#3091969 - 03/26/12 01:20 PM Re: Skidoo expedition 600 ACE [Re: fishermann222]
fishermann222 Offline

"OX"

Best part is, nobody in Alaska has a replacement shock, 5-7 days for them to get one in, and season closes saturday. I was told it will most likely wreck my suspension and or track to put on 150 miles with it like. frown

#3092023 - 03/26/12 02:22 PM Re: Skidoo expedition 600 ACE [Re: fishermann222]
northway Offline
trapper

Loc: Tok, Alaska
Best part is, nobody in Alaska has a replacement shock, 5-7 days for them to get one in, and season closes saturday. I was told it will most likely wreck my suspension and or track to put on 150 miles with it like. frown

Yeah, same on shocks on other models. Got an idea from a friend, especially as far out as we are, he suggests having an extra shock set up with him just in case. Thinking about it it makes sense. Doesn't take up much room but when that shock breaks it is not fun and can ruin things.

#3092028 - 03/26/12 02:29 PM Re: Skidoo expedition 600 ACE [Re: fishermann222]
fishermann222 Offline

"OX"

yeah, probably a good idea I guess, but when if you start carrying all the easily broken things that you can replace on the trail, you will need a tote just for spare parts, 2K miles on a new machine first year you should not have things breaking.

#3092040 - 03/26/12 02:39 PM Re: Skidoo expedition 600 ACE [Re: Spek Jones]
bearcat2 Offline
trapper

Loc: Idaho
Originally Posted By: Spek Jones
Drasselt, no, actually I'm just kinda jaded from replacing parts that it has been proven can be made much more durable, and having to pay a much higher price for them than what would be a reasonable price. There probably is an aftermarket for the shocks, but I have been looking for a durable aftermarket part for the carb boots and can't find one. I get one season per carb boot on my tundra. The old polaris carb boots made thirty years ago was of material that would outlast the machine. Beside the fact the boots cost $160 there is the constant risk of blowing up an engine when a boot gets a hole in it. BRP knows it's a problem, one that can be easily remedied, but they choose not too.
Same situation with the windshields. Pure lexan will not break if bent double, and certainly not just by getting a little whack from a willow branch. Why not make windshields out of it?

End of rant.
smile

When you find a better quality replacement for the carb boots, please post it, I also don't like paying $160 for factory replacements that wear out regularly. And the fact that I have a 15 year old Tundra that has never had the carb boot replaced (and I had it off the other day, it still looks like new) makes me think that BRP should know exactly what material makes a better quality part.

#3092045 - 03/26/12 02:42 PM Re: Skidoo expedition 600 ACE [Re: fishermann222]
northway Offline
trapper

Loc: Tok, Alaska
yeah, probably a good idea I guess, but when if you start carrying all the easily broken things that you can replace on the trail, you will need a tote just for spare parts, 2K miles on a new machine first year you should not have things breaking.

Not too many things that I would carry other than an extra shock now that I know what happens when it breaks! I crawled out 15 miles in low range to get it home "hoping" I didn't break anything else. From now on, and extra one will be under the seat!

Page 6 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >