Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support our sponsors for the Strictly Trapping Page - Trappers Post

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
Hop to:
#3092680 - 03/26/12 08:15 PM Clint Locklear's "tiny-trap rant"
Hover-Lover Offline
trapper

Loc: Southern Utah (formerly Wyodep...
Iím gonna target some coon and fox next year and was getting ready to order a bunch of 1.5 coils, when I came across an interesting take from Clint Locklear titled ďa rant on the tiny trap clubĒ:

http://trappingradio.com/?p=570

He points out his encounters with many naysayers who claim larger traps are unethical. He argues against them saying larger traps:

- Donít cause as much foot damage as smaller traps.

- The big thick jaws, are slower, donít hit as hard and spread the tension over a greater area (less bite).

- The higher jaw catches (on the animal) are not that much higher and result in fewer toe-catches with larger traps.

- Animals fight a smaller trap more than a larger trap.

- The bigger trap will always out-produce the smaller trap by ďcontrolling more terrainĒ so bigger trap = less misses

He advises using the largest trap legal for your area.

Iíve always gone with conventional knowledge of 1.5 coils for coon and fox but Iíve gotta say since seeing that video, heís got me thinking about going with larger traps next season.

Your thoughts? - Wyo

#3092740 - 03/26/12 08:33 PM Re: Clint Locklear's "tiny-trap rant" [Re: Hover-Lover]
Otter04 Offline
trapper

Loc: Westerlo, New York
in my opinion, bunch of bull. 1.5's are a great trap for mink and coon..dont need anything bigger.. and remember Clint hasnt been around all that long , but he is entitled to his opinion.

Edited by Otter04 (03/26/12 08:37 PM)

#3092760 - 03/26/12 08:41 PM Re: Clint Locklear's "tiny-trap rant" [Re: Hover-Lover]
Ryan NC Offline
trapper

Loc: Morganton NC
I'm a full fledged member of the tiny trap club... I do fully agree with Clint on the fact that you are generally gonna catch more with bigger traps tho... a bigger kill zone is always gonna out preform a smaller one as ya can be less specific about location of the trap and the critter has a much greater chance of hitting the pan regardless if they work a set for 2 seconds or 2 min! HOWEVER if you look at his traps the larger ones are all highly modified!

I don't modify my traps with laminations and what not tho I am seriously considering it. [portion removed] regardless coon always seem to be at the bottom of the wire regardless of the trap in my experience.

I love his comment of "I personally donít care what you use, Iím just glad your trapping."

Edited by Ryan NC (03/28/12 10:34 AM)
Edit Reason: Removed part of my comments

Ya can't fix stupid, not even with duct tape!

#3092779 - 03/26/12 08:46 PM Re: Clint Locklear's "tiny-trap rant" [Re: Hover-Lover]
Carcat Offline
trapper

Loc: Upstate, S.C.
I had an experience like that Ryan with a coon in a #2 dbls this season and if I never see that happen again it will be too soon.

#3092831 - 03/26/12 08:58 PM Re: Clint Locklear's "tiny-trap rant" [Re: Hover-Lover]
aaron32 Offline
trapper

Loc: pennsylvania
Originally Posted By: Wyodeputy
Iím gonna target some coon and fox next year and was getting ready to order a bunch of 1.5 coils, when I came across an interesting take from Clint Locklear titled ďa rant on the tiny trap clubĒ:

http://trappingradio.com/?p=570

He points out his encounters with many naysayers who claim larger traps are unethical. He argues against them saying larger traps:

- Donít cause as much foot damage as smaller traps.

- The big thick jaws, are slower, donít hit as hard and spread the tension over a greater area (less bite).

- The higher jaw catches (on the animal) are not that much higher and result in fewer toe-catches with larger traps.

- Animals fight a smaller trap more than a larger trap.

- The bigger trap will always out-produce the smaller trap by ďcontrolling more terrainĒ so bigger trap = less misses

He advises using the largest trap legal for your area.

Iíve always gone with conventional knowledge of 1.5 coils for coon and fox but Iíve gotta say since seeing that video, heís got me thinking about going with larger traps next season.

Your thoughts? - Wyo

but what you didnt see is the video of him saying that the bigger traps like 3'4'etc are used on drownding set ups....with a drownder set up it dosent matter how big that trap is cause they will be DOA before they can chew or ring off.....im a big trap guy.....

#3092857 - 03/26/12 09:06 PM Re: Clint Locklear's "tiny-trap rant" [Re: Hover-Lover]
Otter04 Offline
trapper

If you know what your doing you dont need a bigger pan as quoted. a bigger trap does not mean your going to catch more fur. and that bigger kill pattern is for the birds. if you dont know what your doing to begin with. i dont care what you use, it wont work....a trap is a trap and there designed to be specie specific..i use a 1.75 offset trap no mods and i take as many yotes as i can handle given my age. does that mean if i use a bigger trap ill catch more. cmon, why put that crap out there...

#3092891 - 03/26/12 09:16 PM Re: Clint Locklear's "tiny-trap rant" [Re: Otter04]
MNCedar Offline
trapper

Loc: Central MN
That's been out for a while now? I watched something similar but it was a long time ago.

I remember my first thought was something to the effect of....tell people what they want to hear, and they'll soak it up.

I don't agree with it at all. But I'm no expert either.

#3092899 - 03/26/12 09:19 PM Re: Clint Locklear's "tiny-trap rant" [Re: Hover-Lover]
Ryan NC Offline
trapper

Loc: Morganton NC
while I'll generally agree with you Otter a bigger kill zone is better for some folks... I routinely target yotes with little bitty circle's and catch heck for it from time to time. I can't tell you how many times I've had prints on top of the jaws just off the killzone in a set that wasn't worked hard for what ever reason... unless you put the critters foot in the trap yourself you can't always be 100% sure where it's gonna land. If the critter works the set long enough, it's most likely gonna get caught... where i see the larger killzone being beneficial is the ones that walk up sniff the hole and leave.

Ya can't fix stupid, not even with duct tape!

#3092913 - 03/26/12 09:24 PM Re: Clint Locklear's "tiny-trap rant" [Re: Hover-Lover]
BhamTrapper Offline
trapper

Loc: AL
It's not a question of knowing what you are doing, it's a question of numbers, and odds, over time. You may know exactly what you are doing, but any trapper that claims he can control what the animal will do, every time, is full of it.

A larger trap and trap pan is like kicking field goals through a larger goal post. Any professional kicker would take a larger goal post over a smaller goal post - every single time. It has nothing to do with how good the kicker is.

#3093035 - 03/26/12 10:09 PM Re: Clint Locklear's "tiny-trap rant" [Re: Hover-Lover]
Boco Offline
trapper

Loc: james bay frontierOnt.
Atrap that is too large for the target animal is inhumane and will break legbones (caught too high on leg) when the animal struggles(trap wont move with animal).This will lead to escapes and fodder for animal rights groups trying to ban foothold traps.Traps are manufactured in different sizes for a reason-to hold the target animal comfortably with minimal injury by the FOOT not halfway up his leg.What do the BMP's say?

Edited by Boco (03/26/12 10:10 PM)

#3093092 - 03/26/12 10:34 PM Re: Clint Locklear's "tiny-trap rant" [Re: Hover-Lover]
V3N Offline
trapper

Loc: Indiana
About a generation back, say 25 years or so, the big push among the "pros" ( that small p is on purpose ) was the bigger the better. It was all about large jaw spreads and 4 coils to grab high and hang on. Remember that huge pan and jaw spread on the original #2 coils? The #2 went from 4 1/2 inches to 6 in one jump.
Then we got on the live market, no foot damage band wagon. Then the BMPs came out which were supposed to answer the questions once and for all. And now we're right back to bigger is better.
There is no magic trap, lure, set, or location. The key is confidence. Confidence that your set is as right as you can make it. But since trappers are a superstitious lot, and assume that Joe has to have some secret to catching more than they do, they buy into every scam that comes down the pike.

"There's a fine line between a hobby and a mental illness."
Dave Barry

#3093102 - 03/26/12 10:44 PM Re: Clint Locklear's "tiny-trap rant" [Re: V3N]
Otter04 Offline
trapper

There is no magic trap, lure, set, or location. The key is confidence. Confidence that your set is as right as you can make it. But since trappers are a superstitious lot, and assume that Joe has to have some secret to catching more than they do, they buy into every scam that comes down the pike. [/quote]

Well said V3N, all it takes is a name of some kind and wham its gospel...."Bigger does not nor has it ever meant better "...

#3093137 - 03/26/12 11:07 PM Re: Clint Locklear's "tiny-trap rant" [Re: Hover-Lover]
JohnL Offline
trapper

Loc: Las Vegas Nevada
a well known veteran nevada cat trapper who has done 150 plus bobcats a season ,likes to use 1.5,1.65,1.75 size traps and says animals fight the smaller lighter traps less. i''ll go with his 40 plus years of experience. i use 1.75 and like that size on a mixed land line

#3093176 - 03/26/12 11:51 PM Re: Clint Locklear's "tiny-trap rant" [Re: Hover-Lover]
Mr. Ed Offline
trapper

Loc: upstate NY
I think a CDR is way overkill on cats IMO.I do not think there is any right or wrong,it is up to individual tastes.I run Mb 450's,550's & 650's.Well I own some 650's but am afraid to use them in suburbia because IMO they would do some damage should a domestic cat or dog be caught.I 4 coiled some 550's and ended up taking them off.They seemed way too powerful and not needed.Maybe in frozen soil but not in normal soils.I am going with 1.75's and #2's now.

#3093255 - 03/27/12 04:26 AM Re: Clint Locklear's "tiny-trap rant" [Re: Hover-Lover]
TravC Offline
trapper

Loc: ozona TX
i dont mind a big trap or a small trap best one i use is whats in the ground and has fur in it in the mornin

#3093280 - 03/27/12 06:00 AM Re: Clint Locklear's "tiny-trap rant" [Re: Hover-Lover]
p-skinny Offline
"wannabe resident giggalo"

Loc: SE Virginia

some of y'all should step back and listen to what you are spewing .. and some have the gall to look down their nose at Clint or anyone else GEEEZE .. that said, I respect the above opinions and perspectives but somewhat disagree with adamant closed minded old fashion mentality

*traps do not maim or break bones, (four coiled or two coiled, offset or regular jaw, laminated or not laminated) traps with poor or fouled swiveling increase the potential for such when the restrained animal applies unique leverage/torquing when attempting to roll/twist while restrained in a stationary trap

FYI a #2 double long spring trap is nothing more than your beloved 1 1/2 jaw spread trap with the addition of a second spring

take the #3 coilspring for example, more often considered a coyote trap but yet it can be used as a highly efficient humane trap when targeting dry land coon, but one must do as they should with any trap and exercise common sense and become proficient with such .. it doesn't take a seasoned trapper to realize the #3 is too large for targeting front foot dry coon but back foot oh yeah, now we are talking .. coons targeted with said trap and targeting back foot catches is quite effective and the coon seem to "challenge" their restraint far less than front foot catches in more traditionally accepted coon traps ... I could elaborate more so, but my point is made, don't let your opinion cloud your thoughts to the point you write something off based on hand me down heresay or a few incidental catches on your line

confidence should be applied to all you do, whether it be badminton or cricket farming .. but one who lumps the majority of his/her success into such isn't applying nearly enough common sense & knowledge .. but I guess that is just my opinion

"I personally donít care what you use, Iím just glad your trapping" AMEN brother

#3093312 - 03/27/12 06:49 AM Re: Clint Locklear's "tiny-trap rant" [Re: Boco]
KatKrazy Online   content
trapper

Loc: Idaho
Originally Posted By: Boco
Atrap that is too large for the target animal is inhumane and will break legbones

Think before you post!

ITA

#3093359 - 03/27/12 07:43 AM Re: Clint Locklear's "tiny-trap rant" [Re: Boco]
CLT Offline
trapper

Loc: st. lawrence county ny
Originally Posted By: Boco
Atrap that is too large for the target animal is inhumane and will break legbones (caught too high on leg) when the animal struggles(trap wont move with animal).This will lead to escapes and fodder for animal rights groups trying to ban foothold traps.Traps are manufactured in different sizes for a reason-to hold the target animal comfortably with minimal injury by the FOOT not halfway up his leg.What do the BMP's say?

I don't know where that BS comes from,that is an uninformed statement.The size of the trap isn't what causes foot/leg/shoulder damage,or whatever you want to call it.Lack of swiveling is probably the #1 cause of damage,non-laminated and rough jaw faces a very close #2.If you care about decreasing damage,laminate and smooth jaw faces and run multiple swivels on a fairly long chain.People like short chains but they get balled up with mud and ice and gum up the one or two swivels in the 8" of chain,if you don't have to worry about mud and freezing conditions then it's not as much of an issue.I believe it is true that they fight large traps less for various reasons and you will have fewer misses and pull outs with a larger trap,especially with coyotes.A good rule of thumb is to use a trap that will handle the largest animal you might catch.I catch a lot of coon and some fox in my coyote sets and have yet to see any significant damage.I use a lot of MB 650 with inside and outside lams,#2 bridgers with full mods and #3 bridgers with full mods and inside/outside lams plus all traps are four coiled and have never had a coon or fox or coyote for that matter with a broken anything.
Use whatever size traps you are comfortable with but don't blame damage on the size of the trap since it is rarely the case.

Just a few pics of some catches in #2,#3 and MB650.

Edited by CLT (03/27/12 09:43 AM)

#3093425 - 03/27/12 08:40 AM Re: Clint Locklear's "tiny-trap rant" [Re: Hover-Lover]
nidiffer Offline
trapper

Loc: Elizabethton, TN were the dog...

but back foot oh yeah, now we are talking .. coons targeted with said trap and targeting back foot catches is quite effective and the coon seem to "challenge" their restraint far less than front foot catches
Genesis 3:21
romans 10:8-10

#3093436 - 03/27/12 08:47 AM Re: Clint Locklear's "tiny-trap rant" [Re: p-skinny]
Forrestģ Offline
trapper

Loc: Ohio
Originally Posted By: p-skinny

some of y'all should step back and listen to what you are spewing .. and some have the gall to look down their nose at Clint or anyone else GEEEZE .. that said, I respect the above opinions and perspectives but somewhat disagree with adamant closed minded old fashion mentality

*traps do not maim or break bones, (four coiled or two coiled, offset or regular jaw, laminated or not laminated) traps with poor or fouled swiveling increase the potential for such when the restrained animal applies unique leverage/torquing when attempting to roll/twist while restrained in a stationary trap

FYI a #2 double long spring trap is nothing more than your beloved 1 1/2 jaw spread trap with the addition of a second spring

take the #3 coilspring for example, more often considered a coyote trap but yet it can be used as a highly efficient humane trap when targeting dry land coon, but one must do as they should with any trap and exercise common sense and become proficient with such .. it doesn't take a seasoned trapper to realize the #3 is too large for targeting front foot dry coon but back foot oh yeah, now we are talking .. coons targeted with said trap and targeting back foot catches is quite effective and the coon seem to "challenge" their restraint far less than front foot catches in more traditionally accepted coon traps ... I could elaborate more so, but my point is made, don't let your opinion cloud your thoughts to the point you write something off based on hand me down heresay or a few incidental catches on your line

confidence should be applied to all you do, whether it be badminton or cricket farming .. but one who lumps the majority of his/her success into such isn't applying nearly enough common sense & knowledge .. but I guess that is just my opinion

"I personally donít care what you use, Iím just glad your trapping" AMEN brother

Agreed...

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Drifter, tmrschessie, trapper30