Wilderness Trapping and Living

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Dobbins' Catalog~

Trading Post
(Please support Fur Country Lures, our sponsor for the Wilderness Forum)

Alaska Trappers Association

Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
Hop to:
#3091552 - 03/26/12 03:44 AM Re: Snowmobile problems aint so bad when your trapping [Re: Nunamiut]
Nunamiut Offline
trapper

Loc: alaska
Thanks Kusko, the shoulder is holding up fine. The only time it gets sore is when I chip with the ice pick.

#3091557 - 03/26/12 04:01 AM Re: Snowmobile problems aint so bad when your trapping [Re: Nunamiut]
Kusko Offline
"Mr. Mayor"

Loc: Bethel, AK
Good deal. We saw a native family manutkin (sp?) this weekend and the guy was using his ice pick to go through 4 feet of ice! I wanted to buy that guy an auger!

www.alaskafinandfur.com

#3091865 - 03/26/12 11:36 AM Re: Snowmobile problems aint so bad when your trapping [Re: Nunamiut]
drasselt Offline
trapper

Loc: Alaska
Good going, looks like a nice one.
Man there are a lot of tracks in the snow in those pictures.

#3092254 - 03/26/12 05:31 PM Re: Snowmobile problems aint so bad when your trapping [Re: Nunamiut]
yukontrapper Offline
trapper

Loc: Galena Alaska USA
Man nice going Nunamiut! Like the wolverine and wolf photo's. Persistence pays off. Modem died and finally got connected to the web again!

#3092310 - 03/26/12 06:11 PM Re: Snowmobile problems aint so bad when your trapping [Re: Nunamiut]
frozen okie Offline
trapper

Loc: wasilla,alaska
Nunamiut did you just reset the trap that had something in it or did you use a clean trap?Always like reading your post and looking at pic.
Hows the wolf book coming along?

#3092895 - 03/26/12 09:18 PM Re: Snowmobile problems aint so bad when your trapping [Re: drasselt]
Nunamiut Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: drasselt
Good going, looks like a nice one.
Man there are a lot of tracks in the snow in those pictures.

Most of the tracks are from foxes, our other trap was set off with nothing in it though.

#3092897 - 03/26/12 09:18 PM Re: Snowmobile problems aint so bad when your trapping [Re: yukontrapper]
Nunamiut Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: yukontrapper
Man nice going Nunamiut! Like the wolverine and wolf photo's. Persistence pays off. Modem died and finally got connected to the web again!

Welcome back

#3092909 - 03/26/12 09:23 PM Re: Snowmobile problems aint so bad when your trapping [Re: frozen okie]
Nunamiut Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: frozen okie
Nunamiut did you just reset the trap that had something in it or did you use a clean trap?Always like reading your post and looking at pic.
Hows the wolf book coming along?

I usually just reset the same trap in the original spot, there is a wolverine smell there that other's will check out. I thought the book was just about complete, until my wife read it and pointed out a bunch fine details I was missing. I'm currently unemployed, so once the season is over I can finish the book. http://www.trapperman.com/forum/images/icons/default/laugh.gif

#3092912 - 03/26/12 09:24 PM Re: Snowmobile problems aint so bad when your trapping [Re: Kusko]
Nunamiut Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: Kusko
Good deal. We saw a native family manutkin (sp?) this weekend and the guy was using his ice pick to go through 4 feet of ice! I wanted to buy that guy an auger!

Now thats old school! We have pretty close to 7' of ice on our lakes around here.

#3092952 - 03/26/12 09:35 PM Re: Snowmobile problems aint so bad when your trapping [Re: Nunamiut]
Arctic Trapper Offline
trapper

Loc: Los Anchorage
Congrats!!!! Sure miss that kinda country!!!

#3094686 - 03/28/12 02:49 AM Re: Snowmobile problems aint so bad when your trapping [Re: Nunamiut]
Nunamiut Offline
trapper

My bro and I checked the short line today and found this nice red waiting for us. He was caught on the same bait pile set as the wolverine, just on the other set. Gotta love those caribou gut sets.

We also checked out a new valley and found a lot of wolf and wolverine signs, along with these two kills!

Eleveation, 6000 ft above sea level, perfect for sets.
Tomorrow Im going out to make about 8 new sets on the short line. laugh I got the fever bad!

#3094688 - 03/28/12 02:53 AM Re: Snowmobile problems aint so bad when your trapping [Re: Nunamiut]
akcowboytraper Offline
trapper

Loc: wasilla, AK
thats some beautiful country I would love to be there right now makes me kick in to dream mode....Most people dream about sitting on the beach feet up and drinking a nice cold one not me Im dreaming of riding and setting traps in the country such as the one in the last picture.... NICE FOX!!

#3094689 - 03/28/12 02:54 AM Re: Snowmobile problems aint so bad when your trapping [Re: Nunamiut]
Aknative Offline
trapper

Loc: Fairbanks AK
Good luck!

#3094690 - 03/28/12 03:03 AM Re: Snowmobile problems aint so bad when your trapping [Re: Nunamiut]
HFT AK Offline
trapper

Loc: Wasilla AK
Congrats on the fox! Time to get that MOJO going for the wolves!

#3096518 - 03/29/12 11:00 AM Re: Snowmobile problems aint so bad when your trapping [Re: Nunamiut]
Nunamiut Offline
trapper

Well yesterday I did manage to get 4 wolf sets and 2 wolverine sets out. Heres a pic of the cubby I made, it pretty much made itself after I seen it, is this kinda what you had in mind Yukon?

I also shot 2 red foxes along the way on two different kills. I feel pretty good about the sets. I put a trap on the caribou kill right on top of the pass, man I had to dig through 4' of snow just to anchor my chain! Now that was some hard work. My bro and I are going to pull most of our traps out today on the long line, no critters yet, I cant justify keeping the line if its not producing.

Edited by Nunamiut (03/29/12 11:07 AM)

#3096598 - 03/29/12 12:11 PM Re: Snowmobile problems aint so bad when your trapping [Re: Nunamiut]
Kusko Offline
"Mr. Mayor"

Ben, what about using a drag instead of digging through 4 feet of snow? You could dig a trench for the drag, pack it in good with snow. We've held several wolves and wolverine by having the drag get packed in with snow. It was in there like concrete and we had to shovel/chip it out.

Those wolf kill pictures get my blood pumping!

www.alaskafinandfur.com

#3096635 - 03/29/12 12:41 PM Re: Snowmobile problems aint so bad when your trapping [Re: Nunamiut]
northway Offline
trapper

Loc: Tok, Alaska
Kusko, would probably work, but IF that drag came out, in Ben's country I would be surprised if you would find the drag trail with as open and windy as it is. I would surely want my animal to be anchored right there. Heck I lost a #9 last year that I had set with a drag. Got a huge wind and found the direction the animal went, but then nothing. SUCKED BIG TIME!

#3096653 - 03/29/12 12:52 PM Re: Snowmobile problems aint so bad when your trapping [Re: Nunamiut]
Kusko Offline
"Mr. Mayor"

NW, I know it. We are in the same pickle here at times.

I'd rather not use drags, but we do to prevent theft.

www.alaskafinandfur.com

#3097131 - 03/29/12 06:47 PM Re: Snowmobile problems aint so bad when your trapping [Re: Nunamiut]
yukontrapper Offline
trapper

Thats a Nice set, as long as he can't pull rocks out to get to the bait. But i think it will work. I want to dig out holes in the cut banks next Fall. For a few sets jus to make more permanent places. I am going to pull all my sets out this weekend, afraid the creeks and sloughs may start overflowing and it'll be crazy to go pull them if they are overflowed over 6 creeks to cross to get out there...Luck out there Bud.

#3097807 - 03/30/12 12:15 AM Re: Snowmobile problems aint so bad when your trapping [Re: Nunamiut]
yukontrapper Offline
trapper

Nunamiut, i was looking @ the rock cubby. How did ya tie off your Coni? Man i bet a tyvek suit and a predator call ya can see them aways off. Be fun to try there.

Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >