Wilderness Trapping and Living

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Dobbins' Catalog~

Trading Post
(Please support Fur Country Lures, our sponsor for the Wilderness Forum)

Alaska Trappers Association

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
Hop to:
#3084775 - 03/21/12 11:04 AM Re: ATA news: New Members and Magazine articles [Re: Alaskan]
Dirt Online   content
trapper

Loc: Armpit, ak
Pete ATA sucks.grin

BTW I don't care where you have the flings because I ain't coming anyway. There are more people at them flings then live in Skwentna. I would not be comfortable in such an environment. That being said, somehow I have been smart enough to keep my membership current and submit several articles over the years to the Journal.

Way back in the eighties when I was an evil Fairbanks boy I even used to volunteer and help sort and mail the ATA magazine.

#3084780 - 03/21/12 11:07 AM Re: ATA news: New Members and Magazine articles [Re: Alaskan]
fishermann222 Offline

"OX"

Loc: Bethel, Alaska
I believe in the ATA and what it stands for, are there things I would like to see changed? of course, but does that mean the ATA is not doing a good job? no. The guys who are on the board put forth TONS of volunteer time. I encourage everyone to join, if you follow board proposals year after year, we are always fighting for our trapping rights, even if it is not a ballot measure that pops up. If your not a member, I would surely hope you become one, the few can not carry the rights of the many forever.

#3084831 - 03/21/12 11:39 AM Re: ATA news: New Members and Magazine articles [Re: Alaskan]
Alaskan Offline
"AMY SUE"

Loc: Gnome, Alaska
"consumer ease" or as in this case "membership ease" is a point worth making. Having a direct link here to myself can be an outlet for Tman members. Making it easy should be a priority with an organization (because people are lazy...hey, its a fact. And as a "consumer" you have every right to demand instant satisfaction...even if you don't get it).

I'm all for hearing issues with the organization. If they have a negative tone (and you're thinking about writing it) do it in a PM. I don't mind them being aired out in the open, but I'm not looking for a "yeah, me too!!!!" and it becomes a rah rah bash session. Any member that has been here for a length of time knows of my issues and stances with the ATA. We all have some, good and bad! Let's, as trappers, try to make it better.

Life member: NRA, NTA, AkTA, AkFTA, WiTA, MnTA, MoTA, OrTA

#3084861 - 03/21/12 12:03 PM Re: ATA news: New Members and Magazine articles [Re: Family Trapper]
Hupurest Online   content
"Andy S wannabe"

Loc: Alaska
Originally Posted By: Family Trapper
Quote:
There is going to be a dinner on June 2 in the valley, so that is going to allow the "cheapo's" to attend a function!

And what might that be?

The AFTA is going to have a summer soire... It is going to be at evangelos restaurant. $35 per person.

There is going to be silent auctions, live auctions, raffles, dinner etc.... and Hobo Jim...
here is a link to the web page
http://www.akfrontiertrappers.com/rendezvous.htm

here is the main page.

http://www.akfrontiertrappers.com/index.htm

Ak furman on here would be a point of contact for tickets.

#3084875 - 03/21/12 12:13 PM Re: ATA news: New Members and Magazine articles [Re: Alaskan]
piperniner Offline
trapper

X2 regarding F222's comments. On several occasions, I have spend lots of time trying to contact ATA regarding missing mag issues or other topics. Calls never returned, etc. But it is a volunteer organization for the most part, so I just keep at it and it eventually works out. I figure a bit of frustration is a small price to pay for the overall good that ATA has done and may do in the future. Especially, as fish stated, when we have to defend our trapping rights.

#3084882 - 03/21/12 12:16 PM Re: ATA news: New Members and Magazine articles [Re: Alaskan]
drasselt Offline
trapper

I only have one thing to say re ATA. If you want it done right then you may just have to do it yourself. You know VOLUNTEER. Believe me you are more than welcome to step forward and help carry the water.

Edited by drasselt (03/21/12 12:19 PM)

#3084912 - 03/21/12 12:35 PM Re: ATA news: New Members and Magazine articles [Re: Alaskan]
drasselt Offline
trapper

OK I guess I have 2 things to say. Too bad we can't get mandatory service like jury duty. You know something like this; "Hello Mr. Joe Trapper, we pulled your name from a random list of trapping license holders. This winter you are on duty to handle all of ATA's phone calls and emails and other correspondence. If you don't return all of them in a timely manner, we're sending the troopers over. What? You want to do some trapping too? Well, you may be able to work in a few sets, just make sure it doesn't interfere with your 'volunteer' duties!"

#3084928 - 03/21/12 12:49 PM Re: ATA news: New Members and Magazine articles [Re: Alaskan]
piperniner Offline
trapper

DT : Many of us understand your point. With volunteer organizations, people have lives to lead. That is why a bit of frustration is a small price to pay - unless of course your willing to do it yourself.

I think discussions like these are good - to get everybody back on track and to keep things in perspective. Hopefully, the ATA/T-man connection will strengthen the organization - I certainly believe it will.

#3084999 - 03/21/12 01:50 PM Re: ATA news: New Members and Magazine articles [Re: otterman]
Pete in Frbks Offline
trapper

Loc: Fairbanks, Alaska
Originally Posted By: otterman
Not to beat a dead horse but Pete I don't see that phone number on the home page so it must be buried in the web site some place.

Good point; you are correct and I agree that it is a change that needs to be made. It was NOT on the home page and it should be. Heck, in my opinion, there should be a "Contact Us" page.

But as for the phone number, that is also why I suggested maybe "looking in the phone book." (Which in this day and age may mean looking other places on the computer...)

When I noticed that, instead of just complaining, I contacted someone in ATA who should be able to get ahold of the webmaster and make that happen.

Pete

#3085014 - 03/21/12 02:01 PM Re: ATA news: New Members and Magazine articles [Re: Pete in Frbks]
Alaskan Offline
"AMY SUE"

Loc: Gnome, Alaska
Originally Posted By: Pete in Frbks
Originally Posted By: otterman
Not to beat a dead horse but Pete I don't see that phone number on the home page so it must be buried in the web site some place.

Good point; you are correct and I agree that it is a change that needs to be made. It was NOT on the home page and it should be. Heck, in my opinion, there should be a "Contact Us" page.

But as for the phone number, that is also why I suggested maybe "looking in the phone book." (Which in this day and age may mean looking other places on the computer...)

When I noticed that, instead of just complaining, I contacted someone in ATA who should be able to get ahold of the webmaster and make that happen.

Pete

See...and there we have it. Tman's help towards progress!! laugh

Life member: NRA, NTA, AkTA, AkFTA, WiTA, MnTA, MoTA, OrTA

#3085276 - 03/21/12 05:13 PM Re: ATA news: New Members and Magazine articles [Re: Alaskan]
Wolfwoman Offline
trapper

Loc: Chickaloon, Alaska
I'd love to get in on the 'gear' end of this... at least for the fur part, tho I am capable of making things NOT from fur.

Don't you folks need an 'official' furrier??

Your fur or mine!

#3085445 - 03/21/12 06:57 PM Re: ATA news: New Members and Magazine articles [Re: Alaskan]
Dirt Online   content
trapper

Loc: Armpit, ak
I gotta question! How does the finances work. For instance, who gets to keep the money from the Fur Rondy Auction? ATA or SCATA? Just wondering? Not trying to start no fights.

#3085630 - 03/21/12 08:20 PM Re: ATA news: New Members and Magazine articles [Re: Alaskan]
drasselt Offline
trapper

Dirt there are 2 separate accounts. If south central chapter ever dissolves for any reason all assets go directly to ATA FB.

#3085993 - 03/22/12 01:48 AM Re: ATA news: New Members and Magazine articles [Re: Alaskan]
akcowboytraper Offline
trapper

Loc: wasilla, AK
I would like to see a section involving Bait/lures recipes, ALASKA trap mods, I know there are quite a few people DIY'ers that want to make there own snares. I know personally I can't afford to buy a dozen ak #9s so Im forced to make my own. Step by step sections on DIY trapping supplies and gear.

#3085996 - 03/22/12 01:58 AM Re: ATA news: New Members and Magazine articles [Re: Alaskan]
Tradbow1 Offline
trapper

Loc: AK
there's a local (interior) with a snare making video...I'll try and dig up the link for it tonight. you can find it on ebay from time to time, or off his site. Not sure who it is, but I'm still scratching my head on the shipping part....anyways, its one I plan on getting when things slow down a little.

I think a section in the trappers manual (new edition?) for this thing would be awesome too..snare making, lures baits and thoughts on mods. The wolf trapping manual is awesome btw to those who had a hand in it! or maybe another over all dvd...ie snow trapping, sets, etc etc...would do well nation wide. Just throwing it out there.

#3086022 - 03/22/12 02:32 AM Re: ATA news: New Members and Magazine articles [Re: Alaskan]
yukontrapper Offline
trapper

Loc: Galena Alaska USA
I think places that support the ATA, such as buisness, dealers, and suppliers. If we have a link for suppliers that are instate maybe we wouldn't have to order everything outta state. i order outta state because i don't have to run to FAI and get everything and ship it out. I found jus ordering every so often i am able to stock pile supplies. But something more local, and know the bush order routine. Gotta like FT Harvesters, fast shipping and i get it everytime within a week no matter if its mb750's, 100' of chain, 2000' of cable, and a gajallion other small orders through out the year. Like to keep it in state, but seems alot easier to jus click, pay and ship. Or jus have a supply department that we can order supplies. Custom snares made by the ATA. If it was there i would order from there. I am not a member of the ATA, but i really should be. Gotta give you guys a High five for the time and efforts ya put in to this organization. Best i look into where i sign up.

Tradbow1- i think the guy used to live here in Galena. Name is Hudson Plass. He has a dvd set i saw on ebay one time.

Edited by yukontrapper (03/22/12 02:34 AM)

#3086023 - 03/22/12 02:40 AM Re: ATA news: New Members and Magazine articles [Re: Alaskan]
fishermann222 Offline

"OX"

Loc: Bethel, Alaska
Guys the ATA puts on a trapping school and wolf trapping school every year. At both of them you can learn to build snares etc... The good thing about teh wolf school is it is offered every other year between FAI and Southcentral, so even Hup does not have an excuse not to attend smile

#3086026 - 03/22/12 02:47 AM Re: ATA news: New Members and Magazine articles [Re: Alaskan]
Family Trapper Offline
trapper

Loc: Homer, Alaska
Some great stuff on Hudson's website.
http://www.snarecraft.com/
The links on the bottom of his website are a gem.

#3086027 - 03/22/12 02:55 AM Re: ATA news: New Members and Magazine articles [Re: Alaskan]
yukontrapper Offline
trapper

Loc: Galena Alaska USA
fish222- It is jus my thought of a way to help fund these events, provide to the ATA, support local buisnesses, and trappers. Kinda in a way everyone wins. More revunue, means more things to benefit youth, trapping clinics, studies, more of a awareness to the trapping communities through out the state. I been around trapping most my life. Never really heard of the ATA till a few years back. I support it for what it does and stands for.

#3086034 - 03/22/12 04:13 AM Re: ATA news: New Members and Magazine articles [Re: Alaskan]
Tradbow1 Offline
trapper

Loc: AK
Thats the video thanks Len!

I wish I could make the schools, work didnt allow me to get to them this year. I still think an updated trappers manual would be beneficial to those who cannot make it, not just in state alaska. I say updated....maybe expanded might be a better way of saying it? Going into more details, adding more chapters, more photo's. Look around 'banks'.....just about every store I've seen the wolf video in, its sold out. Likewise the few that carry (other than gullivers maybe) the trappers manual and wolf trapping manual, same thing. carpe diem!

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >