Wilderness Trapping and Living

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Dobbins' Catalog~

Trading Post
(Please support Fur Country Lures, our sponsor for the Wilderness Forum)

Alaska Trappers Association

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
Hop to:
#3086188 - 03/22/12 09:05 AM Re: ATA news: New Members and Magazine articles [Re: Alaskan]
fishermann222 Offline

"OX"

Loc: Bethel, Alaska
Tradbow I think a lengthened manual would be great, getting volunteers to write it however is not promising when we struggle to get guys to write small articles for the mag.

#3086352 - 03/22/12 11:54 AM Re: ATA news: New Members and Magazine articles [Re: Alaskan]
Kusko Offline
"Mr. Mayor"

Loc: Bethel, AK
Maybe some kickback for writing an article. Do the guys running the wolf school do it for free? I honestly don't know.

www.alaskafinandfur.com

#3086356 - 03/22/12 11:57 AM Re: ATA news: New Members and Magazine articles [Re: Alaskan]
Kusko Offline
"Mr. Mayor"

Loc: Bethel, AK
For the manual...

www.alaskafinandfur.com

#3086381 - 03/22/12 12:30 PM Re: ATA news: New Members and Magazine articles [Re: Alaskan]
northway Offline
trapper

Loc: Tok, Alaska
Lots of good points brought up here. I know when I first joined the ATA it was very hard to contact anyone and was frustrating, but when you realize that this is all voluntary, it made me thing twice about complaining too much, thus the reason I just became a life member. I think there are some good starting points brought up that can help make it a better organization.

I personally need to step up and begin writing articles. Randy asked me a few years ago and I just didn't take the time to do it. But realize it is up to all of us to do our part.

Kudu's to Fish and now Alaskan for stepping up. Kumbayah guys! smile

#3086419 - 03/22/12 01:17 PM Re: ATA news: New Members and Magazine articles [Re: Alaskan]
Dirt Offline
trapper

Loc: Armpit, ak
One thing I noticed over the years is people are really good at talking. Not so much at doing. Guilty of both I am.

#3086447 - 03/22/12 01:46 PM Re: ATA news: New Members and Magazine articles [Re: Kusko]
drasselt Offline
trapper

Loc: Alaska
Originally Posted By: Kusko
Do the guys running the wolf school do it for free?

The organizers work for free. The instructor's travel, lodging, food etc is covered and there may be a small payday, not sure about that.

#3086458 - 03/22/12 02:00 PM Re: ATA news: New Members and Magazine articles [Re: Dirt]
northway Offline
trapper

Loc: Tok, Alaska
Originally Posted By: Dirt
One thing I noticed over the years is people are really good at talking. Not so much at doing. Guilty of both I am.

So am I.

#3086461 - 03/22/12 02:02 PM Re: ATA news: New Members and Magazine articles [Re: Alaskan]
fishermann222 Offline

"OX"

Pretty sure we all are, I had high hopes of accomplishing a major educational project when on the board, and I could not make it happen, just could not find the time to get it done the RIGHT way, but it was easy to talk about. Project still in my sights for some point in the future though.

#3086475 - 03/22/12 02:14 PM Re: ATA news: New Members and Magazine articles [Re: Alaskan]
yukonjeff Offline
trapper

Loc: M.T.V. Alaska
To those that live outside of Anch or FB should at least write an artical for the mag once a year or so.. I think thats the least we can do, and usualy makes for good reading for everybody.

also if you are reading this and "NOT" a member you should hang your head in shame and personaly thank those of us that paid and fought for your right to continue to use wolf snares.

#3086514 - 03/22/12 02:59 PM Re: ATA news: New Members and Magazine articles [Re: Alaskan]
Dirt Offline
trapper

Thanks Jeff for saving wolf snaring. Too bad I worked so hard to get rid of my wolves. The snares look nice hanging on the side of the skinning cabin still.

#3086543 - 03/22/12 03:22 PM Re: ATA news: New Members and Magazine articles [Re: Alaskan]
Family Trapper Offline
trapper

Loc: Homer, Alaska
I get running faster than I can sign up for and keep signed up for things. Precisely why my last reup was for 3 years. Good option to choose.

Quote:
To those that live outside of Anch or FB should at least write an artical for the mag once a year or so..

Curious why this thought? Do they not have anything worth contributing?

Edited by Family Trapper (03/22/12 03:23 PM)

#3086568 - 03/22/12 03:42 PM Re: ATA news: New Members and Magazine articles [Re: Alaskan]
fishermann222 Offline

"OX"

I believe it has to do more with we can not volunteer our time in other ways as easily FT.

#3086574 - 03/22/12 03:46 PM Re: ATA news: New Members and Magazine articles [Re: Dirt]
yukonjeff Offline
trapper

Loc: M.T.V. Alaska
Originally Posted By: Dirt
Thanks Jeff for saving wolf snaring. Too bad I worked so hard to get rid of my wolves. The snares look nice hanging on the side of the skinning cabin still.

Your Welcome Dirt.
and I would get those snare "IN" the shed so they dont rust away you might need them again some day, and good thing you can still use them.

and Len What Fish said.

#3087005 - 03/22/12 08:03 PM Re: ATA news: New Members and Magazine articles [Re: Alaskan]
Family Trapper Offline
trapper

Loc: Homer, Alaska
Dang as tech guy I was really hoping Huppy could write an article on internet trapping. For times when I am too far from my line. In Beaver, Alaska today.

Edited by Family Trapper (03/22/12 08:03 PM)

#3087474 - 03/23/12 04:03 AM Re: ATA news: New Members and Magazine articles [Re: Alaskan]
Tradbow1 Offline
trapper

Loc: AK
Fish, there's enough information passed along on here alone to fill the bulk of that void.

Heck someone submitting a photo journal of there year on the line alone would help the magazine and in this day and age you wont even get writers cramp....copy paste and send via email!!! now imagine if was all in color to boot!

the best article I could write is how to NOT catch critters and blow up new machines. wink

Edited by Tradbow1 (03/23/12 04:05 AM)

#3088110 - 03/23/12 02:57 PM Re: ATA news: New Members and Magazine articles [Re: Alaskan]
Dirt Offline
trapper

Maybe I should write an article about how an upgrade ain't always an upgrade. That ought to go over well. wink

OR maybe an article on all the trapping gear available at the local dump?

Edited by Dirt (03/23/12 03:02 PM)

#3088145 - 03/23/12 03:47 PM Re: ATA news: New Members and Magazine articles [Re: Alaskan]
fishermann222 Offline

"OX"

Tradbow I am talking about writing a curriculum for a trapping course to be taught in high schools across the state, that students could take and get credit for.

#3096243 - 03/29/12 05:29 AM Re: ATA news: New Members and Magazine articles [Re: Alaskan]
Tradbow1 Offline
trapper

Loc: AK
sorry fish I missed this. Wouldnt the manual be a good beginners course unto itself? It has the very basic stuff...trap prep, sets, some fur handling already there.

Sorry for the confusion...I am hoping to see it spruced up a bit. going into more details, either a 2nd edition or an advanced edition (trap mods snare building going into more specific details on these things, along with more sets, possible thoughts on fur handling and a better section on going about selling.

#3096515 - 03/29/12 10:55 AM Re: ATA news: New Members and Magazine articles [Re: Alaskan]
white17 Offline

"General (Mr.Sunshine) Washington"

Loc: McGrath, AK
Lots of stuff to consider here and some things may have unintended consequences. The idea of using material previously posted here as the basis for an article is a good one I think. I don't see a problem with the original author sibmitting that to the ATA magazine. I'm not so sure about direct links from the ATA website to this website though. I can see someday the ATA mag becoming an online publication as well as hard copy. What I wouldn't want to see is either site become a subsidiary of the other. That's my fear about lots of links back and forth...or lynx.

IMO it's very important to generate new members throughout all geographic areas. I was frustrated by the Fairbanks-centric aspect of everything for decades. It's understandable why that was the case but with the advent of rural board members that may finally change. It's imperative to make the organization relevant to rural trappers if we hope to get them as members.

One other thing I would like to see ATA do is lobby strongly for increased budgets for furbearer research. The local office here had a furbearer budget of $600 a few years ago. What good is that ?! An hour in a cub with the bio involved and that's the end of your money. It's absurd IMO.

How about the ATA funding some pro trapping TV programs. I don't mean like sponsoring "My Biggest Whitetail With a Bow." I mean actually make the videos. Iditarod has them, PBS extorts money from Dick Proenneke's memory several times a year, why can't we do something similar? Look at Bushman's private efforts on behalf of wolves & wolverines lately. Controversial maybe, but done the right way it could be imteresting, educational, and possibly self-supporting. Canada spends lots of money on fur animals. Why don't we?

Thanks for jumping into this Matt & Fish.

How about an article from Len...."My First Machete" ?

#3096586 - 03/29/12 12:03 PM Re: ATA news: New Members and Magazine articles [Re: white17]
Dirt Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: white17
It's imperative to make the organization relevant to rural trappers if we hope to get them as members.

I think that will never happen because most city dwellers ( Nome Population 3500) cannot relate to rural trappers wants and desires or lifestyle.

Remember; I said MOST!

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >