Wilderness Trapping and Living

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Dobbins' Catalog~

Alaska Trappers Association

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
Hop to:
#3082073 - 03/19/12 07:24 PM ATA news: New Members and Magazine articles
Alaskan Offline
"AMY SUE"

Loc: Gnome, Alaska
Ladies and Gents, I've recently taken a position with the ATA, and I hope that my insight or at least my effort can be for a positive. A discussion as risen on membership and trying to get articles.

Membership:

How to gain new membership, especially a rural/bush demographic?

I find that empathy is pretty much the status quo with most "volunteer" efforts. I'm no exception but have made many such commitments recently within my Union (I quantify my reason for being there as "trying to regulate stupidity") and now with the ATA. I've had my issues with organizations, and I feel that I can offer some insight as well as try to act like a "mentor" (I know, scary thought on many levels) in any capacity. Trapperman gave me something that I can't even put into words. The people on here I find as a family (yes, even you Pete) and are welcome at my dinner table anytime. I say this because of what everyone GIVES. This place is as generous as I've ever witnessed. And it is this act of people on here on why I hope to help out however I can. Plus, this help and mentorship allows to show future trappers the good (ethics, importance of getting along and "sharing our trails", ect...) and hopefully have them learn that importance and pass it forward when they have the opportunity. This, keeping the good alive and well, as well as keeping the "family" of it all intact.

So...suggestions on getting more memberships/participation? Also, I realize that there are negative issues some have with the ATA (I know, I've had my own), and voicing them is a good thing. Sometimes people must hear the bad (even if they don't want to) to be able to make change. And hopefully with my voice on the BOD of the ATA I can move towards positive change. However, please, if there are negative issues, send them via PM or email.

Magazine articles:

Some of you have been contacted by Randy Zarnke (sp?) before. I know it takes time to write these up, as I've sat down and penned a few (yet to complete, and usually share here first). I'm wondering if we can't get a compilation of people's journals. And would people who write them object to such entries into the ATA mag. I'd like to discuss this with the Board to see if we can have a "journal section" and will follow a person through their year on the trapline. We are good with getting pictures (I know I sure love the stories with pictures), and these make the stories that much better. Yeah, we may be a year behind with the achievments, and it may be an issue of "why do we always show that Kusko guy's articles". But I think this is a decent avenue to fill pages in the magazine. Plus, a lot on here add good humor and are a good read.

I'm also thinking of approaching people on here for "gear" ideas and evaluations. What we use on the line, how they have it set up, and all of that. FamilyTrapper...just know you are one of my lead candidates. smile But this would be an ongoing submission of "what I use on the trapline" type of deal. Not everyone will use this stuff, but it does give a good idea to new readers on what others use and how they have it set up.

So....ideas for articles? Ideas for on going columns? Any ideas?

I appreciate anything. Again, I just feel like this site is SUCH a great help for those who belong to it. I know it's helped me. I'm not looking the magazine as "help" so much, but as a "good read" when on the crapper...with some information that can be used.

Think of this as a way to give back for anything(if you've gotten anything), from this site.

Edited by Alaskan (03/19/12 11:07 PM)

Life member: NRA, NTA, AkTA, AkFTA, WiTA, MnTA, MoTA, OrTA

#3082124 - 03/19/12 07:46 PM Re: ATA news: New Members and Magazine articles [Re: Alaskan]
drasselt Offline
trapper

Loc: Alaska
Matt thanks for the post.

I ran the journal idea past Zarnke once. I still think it's a great idea if Mr. Dobbins would give the go-ahead. Obviously there is a wealth of ready-to-go material in the journals and archives that would give the magazine a huge immediate boost.

General trapping/wolf schools out in some of the villages might be one way to boost membership, at least temporarily. Perhaps some of the native corps could be convinced to pick up some of the tab for transportation or even individual memberships, don't know just throwing that out there. The time to strike is now with high fur prices.

I believe the magazine goes (or perhaps used to go) to most every school in the state but I could be wrong about that.

#3082386 - 03/19/12 09:53 PM Re: ATA news: New Members and Magazine articles [Re: Alaskan]
Family Trapper Offline
trapper

Loc: Homer, Alaska
Good Post Alaskan. Your comments about Tman resonates with me as well. A family and a great bunch of members that seem to go out of their way to help each other.
Count me in. I would be more than happy to offer up and article, or share my posts from Tman. Just give me the topic.
Thinking Marten Tipups as it seems to be asked about the most.
Or trapping from a tent camp.
Or Bravo modifications!!!. Just cut and paste the bravo thread. ;0) Heck we bury more than enough on here to keep the magazine hopin.

#3082396 - 03/19/12 10:04 PM Re: ATA news: New Members and Magazine articles [Re: Alaskan]
fishermann222 Online   content

"OX"

Loc: Bethel, Alaska
Matt I knew you were the right guy for the job. I love the journal idea.

If we want to boost membership in the villages we need to be able to have something for them. It was my idea to film all the FAI membership meeting presentations and have it on a website, I am no longer on the board, but I do know D.N. filmed the last one that guloboy did and I am hoping they follow through and get it posted on a "members only" portion of the website I would like to see created.

#3082427 - 03/19/12 10:24 PM Re: ATA news: New Members and Magazine articles [Re: Alaskan]
FullFreezer Offline
trapper

Loc: Alaska, E.F.R
My journal isn't the best for info like some of the more well known trappers, but if Mr. Dobbins would be ok with it. mine may be used if needed

How far have the articles gone up the lifetime members chain?

How about a Picture trapline? a collage of pic's on 2 pages-covering that years trapping on some ones line( not 1000 pictures mind you) few catches,put up fur, gear, family.

How about a picture contest?

#3082462 - 03/19/12 10:50 PM Re: ATA news: New Members and Magazine articles [Re: Alaskan]
Alaskan Offline
"AMY SUE"

As far as the website stuff, I'd like to get with the board and see if we can get the editor to "use the site" as a potential resource. Of course they'd have to write the author and see if they approve. Before all of that, i'd ofcourse talk with Paul to see if this is even appropriate. I'd like to keep the material from ONLY the Wilderness side.

Tom- I've mumbled to some of the Native corps here (I say mumbled, because i'm aware of how much work it will take...and frankly I can be a lazy F'er) and mentioned the possibility of hosting trapping/skinning/merchandising of furs. One of the big things that I'm working on my head, is to get the point across of the importance of respect and ethics, and not the almighty dollar. I need to do my research, because I want to be able to touch on the historical and traditional aspects of it. Anyways...it seems like an option. I haven't thought of bringing in the ATA (cause frankly, I wasn't on the BOD, and sometimes the ATA can centralize it importance around Fairbanks). I know that I've had a few out here, with a presence of the ATA, they'd join in a heartbeat (on simply just me being a trapper, and my fur harvesting). I can tell you that I know of at least 20 people that are active "in pursuit" of fur because of me introducing it to them. So, with the help of the ATA, maybe we can expand this and make it a wider reaching search.

I really like the idea of the mag being in every library and/or school library. I think i've found a new place to direct some of my funds for just such a cause!! great idea!

Len- THANK YOU!!!! I was sitting on the crapper reading my FF&G magazine and I remember how I liked the stories that was in multiple parts, and how I always looked forward to it. Again, it would be repetitive for us Tman members (as we'd be using what we've read here already) but for the AK Trappers that get that magazine, it would be new. And, again, i know that I look forward to journal updates from everyone (especially since I've been sidelined being a father).

My plan for this thread is to get lots of input, and I will be "molding" these ideas and presenting them to the rest of the board. This includes PMs of negatives and such. I know that I might take some heat, and I know it will be work (I'll have a feeling i'll be putting together some of the stories with the "cut and paste" features).

One thing I remember most about Len was me searching for a new GPS, and Len's input (to those who don't know, Len = FamilyTrapper). And since then, Len's ability to put his ADD to use, and how I come away thinking "man, what a good idea", even when its on a Bravo...and I don't own a bravo.

And I 100% agree that we put/bury so many entertaining posts, articles, how-tos, journals, and stories on this site. I'd think a repeat of a month of articles would produce a 100 page magazine...easy. This place is such a resource...

Fish- I agree. Make it a "member only" portion of the site, that has access to videos and such from presentations.

I don't know if i'm "right" for this. I'm not even sure why I said "yes" as donating anything can be a PITA (and as mentioned i'm lazy), and usually I prefer to be the pain. But, I realize someone has to, might as well be me, and because of Trapperman (and really, ONLY because of Tman and its members) I feel I owe it. Even when I find myself disagreeing with people, i find myself listening. Like I said, I can't put into words how much this site has helped me as a trapper, and better yet: as a person. So...here I am.... (mumbling the F word under my breath smile )

Edited by Alaskan (03/19/12 10:55 PM)

#3082483 - 03/19/12 11:13 PM Re: ATA news: New Members and Magazine articles [Re: Alaskan]

"OX"

Alaskan what time did you start drinking today? you seem emotional, are you pregnant?

#3082491 - 03/19/12 11:27 PM Re: ATA news: New Members and Magazine articles [Re: Alaskan]
Family Trapper Offline
trapper

I will just say it right up front Alaskan. I have to have deadlines. Reasonable deadlines. ;0) Like NAFA.

Edited by Family Trapper (03/19/12 11:27 PM)

#3082514 - 03/19/12 11:57 PM Re: ATA news: New Members and Magazine articles [Re: fishermann222]
Top Jimmy Offline
"Assistant Speling Zcar"

Loc: Alaska, USA
Originally Posted By: fishermann222
Alaskan what time did you start drinking today? you seem emotional, are you pregnant?

No, but his wife is, so maybe it is some sympathy estrogen he has going. At least he will have a ton of time at home to dedicate to his board duties this next winter. smile

-TJ

#3082528 - 03/20/12 12:12 AM Re: ATA news: New Members and Magazine articles [Re: Alaskan]
Alaskan Offline
"AMY SUE"

Fish- Not early enough!!!

Len - I understand, which is one of the reasons that taking from the website to create a "roster" of articles would work so nicely!!

TJ - I spent the last 6 days in Union meetings, and I realize the importance of "regulating stupidity", and the importance of ACTUALLY TAKING ACTION for the betterment of a whole. Trapping, and it's continued practice and importance", is the whole I'm working for on this. I think I can be a "good" source for the betterment...so here I am (trust me, I know i'm stepping out of my usual sideline heckler position).

Also, TJ...you are one of the people (which I've stated before) that i'm talking about bringing in, and how proud I am to see you active at it. Remember when you thought trapping was "stupid" and "a waste of time and money"????? Now, do you see yourself without it during the winters?? I truely love what trapping is how I feel when I'm out in the country. LOVE IT!

Edited by Alaskan (03/20/12 12:13 AM)

#3082533 - 03/20/12 12:15 AM Re: ATA news: New Members and Magazine articles [Re: Alaskan]
Alaskan Offline
"AMY SUE"

One other thing: I find it important to put humor in my writings, and I'd edit as such. That is what I love about the articles here: we all aren't afraid to insert humor and it makes for a better read.

#3082541 - 03/20/12 12:19 AM Re: ATA news: New Members and Magazine articles [Re: Alaskan]
otterman Online   content

Loc: SW Alaska
Matt, as a long time member living far from Fairbanks I seldom hear much of what is going on. If it doesn't make the magazine we don't hear it. Only the big stuff like the wolf school and fling and such, Maybe a section with a brief overview of every monthly meeting in the magazine would help with some of that. I know if I saw something that was being discussed by the board and I wanted to give my input I would do it. Right now I have no clue what goes on in 99% of the meetings

#3082548 - 03/20/12 12:25 AM Re: ATA news: New Members and Magazine articles [Re: Alaskan]
Alaskan Offline
"AMY SUE"

Todd: I'll try my best to maybe give updates here. Again, I'll have to make sure that the Board is okay with it first, and make sure none of it is "between us" as some of the information is. But this would, with their approval, be a good "ATA update" post area.

#3082557 - 03/20/12 12:28 AM Re: ATA news: New Members and Magazine articles [Re: Alaskan]
Family Trapper Offline
trapper

I agree with Otterman. My ears and eyes perked up when I realized Fish had something to do with the ATA. And now Alaskan. Dang this thing is going Alaskan. Not just Interior. Thank both of you for stepping up to the plate and getting this out to the rest of us. Tman is giving trapper a lot more voice. We have a following here. Members and not. Regardless of who is posting look at the view on any thread compared to the replies. What we say here is getting out to a lot of people. Most of them trappers.

#3082578 - 03/20/12 12:39 AM Re: ATA news: New Members and Magazine articles [Re: Alaskan]

"OX"

Remember everyone, they open up nominations every spring for people to run. Just find that person you think would do a good job, and nominate them. I think Alaskan will serve us VERY well and he is a strong voice, which is what I was looking for when i nominated him.

#3082614 - 03/20/12 01:11 AM Re: ATA news: New Members and Magazine articles [Re: Alaskan]
Kusko Offline
"Mr. Mayor"

Loc: Bethel, AK
Alaskan, you are the man! You have vision and are not as lazy as you claim. If you were lazy, you wouldn't have even posted this.

There are some great points made by everyone.

Otterman's should be at the top of the list. It would be nice to hear the minutes or at least be able to read them.

The journals would definitely thicken the magazine (which would be nice...***hint, hint***). Journals from all over Alaska would bring light to those who don't have a clue of what it's like to trap in SE, Interior, on the coast, the Brooks Range or on the YK/Kusko Delta. Seriously, if someone like Trapped4ever would put out a journal of what life is like for him when he traps, it would be enlightening. Those guys like White17 or Northway, with their Interior conditions, otterman in DLG with his freeze/thaw...it's all interesting. No matter if you are road trapping the Glen or slogging through overflow on the Peninsula, we all want to hear about it.

At the same time, most journals are informative. There is a lot of "how to" involved.

Here is my suggestions for the mag. How about a "fur handling corner". This would be a page or two of fur handling tips and tricks. There are plenty of guys on here that could contribute.

www.alaskafinandfur.com

#3082644 - 03/20/12 02:22 AM Re: ATA news: New Members and Magazine articles [Re: Alaskan]
drasselt Offline
trapper

Loc: Alaska
I would like to suggest that ATA could actually be statewide by way of chapters. I have only been involved for 21 years but in that time I have seen several chapters come and go. Fairbanks has, in every case I'm aware of, been very supportive, and very grateful I might add, for chapters to spring up. Alaska is so far flung it could possibly be the only way really.

In the final analysis I am thankful that FB guys got ATA rolling, and most importantly, have kept it rolling for what, 40 something years?

That is the challenge; keeping the fire alive.

#3082650 - 03/20/12 02:45 AM Re: ATA news: New Members and Magazine articles [Re: Alaskan]
Family Trapper Offline
trapper

Well lots of idea. As someone that was at my first fling I can tell you some things I would have loved to see as a first time attendee that would raise attendance to the fling big time. It is a fund raiser isn't it?
This may or may not be the place to discuss such things but hey everything can be improved. Even good things. Just like trapperman. There was a day not so long ago when the wilderness forum was nothing but an active thread called the Almighty Alaska Thread on the main board. I venture to say that ATA/Trapperman members can make something happen.
Were behind you Alaskan. Lead on.

#3082670 - 03/20/12 04:00 AM Re: ATA news: New Members and Magazine articles [Re: Family Trapper]
Cattrax Offline
trapper

Loc: Wy
Maybe you can put in there how to pick a good taxidermist Alaskan. grin

Seriously, I would like to join just to get a magazine so that I could read all the trappers journals in it, heck its great to come over here and read these here, good luck Matt.

#3082671 - 03/20/12 04:04 AM Re: ATA news: New Members and Magazine articles [Re: Family Trapper]
Wolverinebait Offline
trapper

Loc: Tonsina, Alaska
Several things to possibly improve the Fling that I have thought about from the past, and others have suggested are:

1) One of the things I looked forward to the most in the Flings of the past were keynote speakers. I can't even remember anymore who some were, but it seems like people like Don Young, Jim Rearden, Jay Hammond, along with other well-known leaders from the lower 48 have been here, and just having them come and give public support to trapping and ATA was an attraction to attendence in and of itself. It also provided added "meat" to the magazine. I know this is no doubt a difficult/expensive thing to pull off many times,... but it's been missing now from the Fling for some time.

2) I joined ATA when it was still IATA (Interior Alaska Trappers Assoc) just out of high school in the '70's (I think Dean Sr gave me my first membership as a birthday gift or something,.... HINT HINT). I also remember him bringing me up to Fairbanks to my first Fling,... and I don't remember exactly where it was, but it was held at some bar I think,... the smoke was so thick you couldn't hardly see across the room,... it seemed there were several drunken fights/loud arguments that broke out,... and I think I remember that the cops had to be called in to restore or maintain the peace. All I knew is that I was surely never going to go to this thing again!!! So, what a change to what it is now!! In any case,.. if one of the missions we have is to introduce kids to trapping,... and to get at least some of them to develop a passion of this lifestyle so someone will be willing to lead & fight in the next generation's battles,... what if the Fling had something - some activity designed especially for kids? I think it would be a cool thing to design something so every kid who comes, goes home from the Fling with some shiny new traps or something,... even the magazine could have something for kids to do/read/compose, etc and win prizes. I know that would have been a high-light for me when I was a kid that I would have looked forward to with great anticipation.

3) I noticed at the Fling that there are big screens on the walls,... what about setting up a powerpoint projector and showing trapping & related pictures from all of us on the screen thru-out the whole Fling? ATA could build up an archive of really great photos & even videos that I'm sure we'd all enjoy. No sound, so it doesn't have to disturb anyone's conversations. And even in place of a keynote speaker, maybe a well-done instructional trapping video, or something from ADF&G could be shown. In Valdez each year during the awards ceremony at the conclusion of the Fish Derbies, they show fishing pictures on a big screen all evening of happy people with their fish,... and it's a well-enjoyed thing. The magazine could incorporate a "Photo-page-of-the-Month" or something like that possibly as well, as it has done in the past.

Just a few thoughts I had from this past weekend. Keeping/making the Fling and the magazine family/kid friendly is more important now than ever,... for our own future, and for our perception by the public at large.

Edited by Wolverinebait (03/20/12 04:09 AM)

And no woman heard him,...

Was he still wrong,... ?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >