Wilderness Trapping and Living

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar

Photo Gallery~Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulator Forum

~Dobbins' Catalog~

Alaska Trappers Association

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
Hop to:
#3078857 - 03/17/12 08:23 AM Re: Sled Plastic Order. [Re: Spek Jones]
On a Call Offline
trapper

Loc: S/E Mich - N/W Ohio
Originally Posted By: Spek Jones
Originally Posted By: On a Call
I just called for a quote on 1/4" x 10 x 4 sheets and a price on 1/2" and 3/4 thick pieces for the toung.

He asked how many sheet you might be interested in. So please speak up if you are interested.

I don't have a horse in this race, but kind of a catch 22 here
looks to me like. If some of the ones interested had a ball
park figure it would at least give them a starting point to
work on. Might post a quote on a single sheet, with the possibility of a quantity discount thrown in there?
(Just a suggestion).

Thank you Spec.

Will do when I hear back from the whole saler.

#3079288 - 03/17/12 05:25 PM Re: Sled Plastic Order. [Re: Family Trapper]
akcowboytraper Offline
trapper

Loc: wasilla, AK
I would consider a sheet if I knew the ball park price.

#3080639 - 03/18/12 06:00 PM Re: Sled Plastic Order. [Re: piperniner]
scalloper Online   content
trapper

Loc: All over Maine
Do any of you use the "Otter Sleds"? We use them,they come in many sizes and are very tough.

#3080758 - 03/18/12 07:09 PM Re: Sled Plastic Order. [Re: Family Trapper]
On a Call Offline
trapper

Scalloper I have a freind in SK who runs a line up there. He has had several Otter sleds some of the largest they make. Last time I was was there I walked out back and saw them all busted up, worn though, cracked up from the cold and hitting some thing.

Edited by On a Call (03/18/12 07:10 PM)

#3081988 - 03/19/12 06:52 PM Re: Sled Plastic Order. [Re: Family Trapper]
scalloper Online   content
trapper

Loc: All over Maine
Wow,we put the runner kits on them and they work great. But I am guessing that we may not use them as much or as hard but I have had mine for 3 years and its still in great shape.

#3082044 - 03/19/12 07:12 PM Re: Sled Plastic Order. [Re: Family Trapper]
On a Call Offline
trapper

Ok Guys...here is what my supplier told me today.

First he told me if any of you can get a cheaper quote to let him know...he will go back and requote that. I am just setting this up to help you and him out.

Second he said that UHMW is not resistant to ultra violet rays and that most likely a lot of your broken sled may be due to sun light damage causing it to be brittle.

Third he quoted prices for the UHMW and HDPE ( Star bright ) it is used on commercial fishing vessels due to the amount of sun light they experience. It is a bit softer but it last just as long.

Ok...what you have been waiting for...prices.

UHMW $

1/4" 4' x 10' 280.00
1/2" 4' x 10' 495.00
3/4" 4' x 10' 725.00

HDPE ( star bright )

1/4" 54" x 96" 160.00
3/4" ditto 345.00 half sheet either by length or width $ 210.00
1" ditto 410.00

Edited by On a Call (03/19/12 07:14 PM)

#3082414 - 03/19/12 10:14 PM Re: Sled Plastic Order. [Re: Family Trapper]
Family Trapper Offline
trapper

Loc: Homer, Alaska
Wow Thanks.
Is this price for 1 or a 100. Any volume discount?

Would be good to know more about the HDPE. With a good runner a guy might get along with it for that price.
Now what is the savings. How much is a sheet in Alaska.
One of the most important comments I found researching the difference is this.
The friction co-efficient is less, therefore it is slicker.
Enough for me.

Here is a good thread.
UHMWPE vs. HDPE: diff terms or diff product?
http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/general/uhmwpe-vs-hdpe-diff-terms-diff-product-150907/

Example of the conversation
Peter S
Titanium

There are different grades of UHMW, it makes quite a difference to performance and price. And colours seem to vary between manufacturers, for example Sal mentioned black as reprocessed, but it can be either reprocessed or virgin.

We used to get our UHMW from Roche, Germany. Here are the specs I have from a few years back:

-White/green was virgin, 4.5 million density.

Some manufacturers use green as the colour of their reprocessed grade.

-Black was either reprocessed (2.5 -4.5 million density) or '5000' Grade, 7 million density.

-Blue was the premium 'filled' quality, 10.5 million density.

Abrasion resistance and price increased with the density. The high grade was UV resistant (and not food grade, by the way).

As for HDPE, I haven't used it, but my catalogues list it alongside HMWPE and don't seem to differentiate between the two in their description. They describe both as high molecular weight PE and give the density as 500,000. It costs quite a bit less than UHMW, has a much lower coefficient of expansion, more like nylon 6 (one of the curses of UHMW is its radical expansion rate), doesn't rate for abrasion resistance (the great quality of UHMW). Impact strength good - but not as good as UHMW.
It is the industry standard for cutting boards.

#3082432 - 03/19/12 10:27 PM Re: Sled Plastic Order. [Re: Family Trapper]
Family Trapper Offline
trapper

I am going to start posting in this post resources for making the sled.

This is the best I have seen so far.

Pretty simple especially if you have access to a break.
http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/showthread.php/23397

Some good photos on here also.
http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/showthread.php/21399-Snowmachine-Utility-Sleds

See photos on the bottom.
http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/album.php?albumid=1179

Post from the outdoor forum.
http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/showthread.php/46075-UHMW-vs-HDPE-for-cheap-freight-sled-runners
Nitroman

Much more UHMW varieties available. Some are super-slick as they've been heavily blended with molybdenum disulphide. Also, there are others with a super-high impact resistance used in the beds of giant off-road trucks. The standard stuff available for runners in-state is the low-end.

Do some google searches and you'll find some really exotic UHMW polyethylene formulations.

#3082446 - 03/19/12 10:40 PM Re: Sled Plastic Order. [Re: Family Trapper]
northway Offline
trapper

Loc: Tok, Alaska
I will do some research. I may be heading down south this summer, and if I do, I have certain sizes that I want and will have made for me. I will be going with superslide and will even have some friends to some checking to see if they can find better deals on the 1/4"x4'x10' sheets. I know I am going to have one sheet 5' wide so I can make an atv/snowmachine retrieval sled.

#3082604 - 03/20/12 01:03 AM Re: Sled Plastic Order. [Re: Family Trapper]
Alaskan Offline
"AMY SUE"

Loc: Gnome, Alaska
Man I love this site, for just these last 3-4 posts!!!

Life member: NRA, NTA, AkTA, AkFTA, WiTA, MnTA, MoTA, OrTA

#3082659 - 03/20/12 03:23 AM Re: Sled Plastic Order. [Re: Family Trapper]
Tradbow1 Offline
trapper

Loc: AK
Gregg did a pretty sweet write up on building...been in touch with him on the subject for the past couple of months now.

Noticed that the price of uhmw doubled?

I hadnt seen all those posts and after reading one of them tonight and listening to conversations about which is the 'most' uv resistent, I had heard blue, that post had black.....????

#3082764 - 03/20/12 07:28 AM Re: Sled Plastic Order. [Re: northway]
On a Call Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: northway
I will do some research. I may be heading down south this summer, and if I do, I have certain sizes that I want and will have made for me. I will be going with superslide and will even have some friends to some checking to see if they can find better deals on the 1/4"x4'x10' sheets. I know I am going to have one sheet 5' wide so I can make an atv/snowmachine retrieval sled.

Well when you find your best price and let me know. I will let my buddy know and he will see what he can do. He would need to know who gave you the quote. I know he also told me custom sizes are available also so that 5' wide piece is possible.

Personally I think someone should try the HDPE. You might find it works as well or better smile.

#3082766 - 03/20/12 07:29 AM Re: Sled Plastic Order. [Re: Family Trapper]
On a Call Offline
trapper

BTW...if you like any of you can pm me and I can give you his number or email.

He is a fabricator and able to do just about anything with these materials. Welding, brake, cut, punch, and heat bend.

Edited by On a Call (03/20/12 12:17 PM)

#3082995 - 03/20/12 11:15 AM Re: Sled Plastic Order. [Re: Family Trapper]
northway Offline
trapper

Loc: Tok, Alaska
Another thing is we had our sleds heat bent at 90 degrees. We wanted to try the heat bend so we didn't lose the amount of UMHW in the bends and have higher sides. My sled has two years on it now and it has had no issues. It doesn't flex as much as the sleds that are bent with a brake, but having the higher sides is very nice.

#3083861 - 03/20/12 08:16 PM Re: Sled Plastic Order. [Re: Family Trapper]
On a Call Offline
trapper

Yes that price was for one.

I had no idea who would want in on the deal. So I just asked for a quote on one.

#3083893 - 03/20/12 08:24 PM Re: Sled Plastic Order. [Re: Family Trapper]
akntrpr Offline
trapper

Loc: Tok, Ak.
I'm wondering if a 6'X12' sheet is available?

Edited by akntrpr (03/20/12 08:25 PM)

non illigitimi carborundum

#3083978 - 03/20/12 08:54 PM Re: Sled Plastic Order. [Re: Family Trapper]
On a Call Offline
trapper

He said special orders are possible.

#3089014 - 03/24/12 07:47 AM Re: Sled Plastic Order. [Re: Family Trapper]
On a Call Offline
trapper

I took the time to put together some prices and everyone stopped talking ??

You guys busy up there, think they are too high, not interested in lower states matterial ?

#3089276 - 03/24/12 12:15 PM Re: Sled Plastic Order. [Re: Family Trapper]
Family Trapper Offline
trapper

Just on the run and can't think right now. But thanks so much. Been in 4 different school districts in the last month. Got to be home and sleep in my bed for a wapping 8 hours last night and back to the trapline and tech work out west.
It is on my radar but too much going on right now. I would be interested in Anchorage prices for sure. Just how much is the savings? To me that is the big question. A phone call I don't have time to make right now. But appreciate your efforts.
Will devote my attention to things after Furs are shipped to Nafa. ;0)

#3089374 - 03/24/12 01:49 PM Re: Sled Plastic Order. [Re: Family Trapper]
Seldom Offline
trapper

Loc: Midland, MI
I don't know if this pertains to your discussion but if you're looking for HDPE other than sheet stock, look to the oil and gas patch contractors, hazardous waste contractors, and/or their piping suppliers. Both should have pieces of different sizes of HDPE piping from which you can cut strips from 1/2" through 2" thick(pipe wall thickness). It's my material of choice for fleshing beams and I get it from those places. They may even have some sheet stock(1/2"-1") left from building and/or repairing sumps.

As a side note- HDPE is readily hot-air weldable at 550F and bendable at less. I have no experience with the other material mentioned in this thread.

Edited by Seldom (03/24/12 01:59 PM)

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >