Wilderness Trapping and Living

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar

Photo Gallery~Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulator Forum

~Dobbins' Catalog~

Alaska Trappers Association

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
Hop to:
#3067691 - 03/10/12 01:10 PM Re: Sled Plastic Order. [Re: Family Trapper]
On a Call Offline
trapper

Loc: S/E Mich - N/W Ohio
Give me all the specifications you want and need.

Color, thickness, length and width. If any one would like to have somthing made he owns a fabrication shop also.

#3067838 - 03/10/12 03:17 PM Re: Sled Plastic Order. [Re: Family Trapper]
northway Offline
trapper

Loc: Tok, Alaska
Yeah, definately want 1/4" UMHW. It is much cheaper in the states. Thing is when buying the plastic, you will need to get the tongues also. I believe that is either 1/2" or 3/4" stuff. If you knew how many people wanted in you could try and figure out the best way to cut as many tongues out of one sheet. The tongue material is the expensive part. When we ordered plastic last time, the guy that made the order cut the tongues and sold them separately. We are learning that with the newer sleds that sit higher, a longer tongue is needed. We were also thinking that cutting them a bit differently would block ALOT of the snow out also. After building a couple of sleds, there are many things that we thought we could "fix" to make them as good as possible. We added the one inch runners. I put three the length of the sled on mine. It doesn't slide at all, and the bonus is it protects the main sled plastic from wear and tear. We also "beefed" up the tongue with a couple of pieces of the 1" stuff to strengthen it which in my opinion was absolutely necessary. The 1" runners are very expensive also.

So basically there you will need the 1/4" UMHW for the sled. I would recommend to a 4'x10' sheet.

Then you will need the tongue UMHW. I believe it is 1/2"

Then is you want the runners, you will want 1" stuff.

I'll take some pictures of the sled we built and the different aspects of it and what we added to it and what we thinks needs to be added to make it work for us.

#3068253 - 03/10/12 07:16 PM Re: Sled Plastic Order. [Re: northway]
Swamp Walker Offline
trapper

Loc: Palmer, Alaska
Guys, check with superslide.com. That's where I got my sheet of Blue Iron for my sled, they discount it a bit as leftover from building bedliners for dump trucks, but they do sell full sheets. Should work great if someone will be down there with truck anyway.

#3069245 - 03/11/12 11:05 AM Re: Sled Plastic Order. [Re: Family Trapper]
johnd Offline
trapper

Loc: west michigan,
A lot of people that pull sleds a long ways ice fishing here, like on saginaw bay, put runners made out of used snow machine slide rails on the sleds or bottoms of flip over fish shacks to protect the tubs.

#3069362 - 03/11/12 12:19 PM Re: Sled Plastic Order. [Re: Family Trapper]
piperniner Offline
trapper

Loc: Alaska
If your conditions warrant runners, you also need to decide where to fasten them. Northern sled works does custom orders. For instance, if you use #9's, you can add a second skeg. Instead of the centered skeg , two are equally spaced with app. 10 inches in the middle for placement of the trap. Works well for trail sets. Point being - think it through before you begin fabrication.

With enough thought, a guy could make all sorts of mods. Like a Jerry jug storage rack where the bottom attach points screw into the uhmw runners . I am no fabricator, so don't know what would work. Sounds like N.W. has a lot of it figured out.

#3069418 - 03/11/12 12:58 PM Re: Sled Plastic Order. [Re: Family Trapper]
northway Offline
trapper

piper, we've been thinking about these sleds alot since building a couple. There is no end to what you can modify your sled for. I am actually going to build a couple more sleds that will all be different. One will be a wide one that an atv or snowmachine can fit into for retrieval. Then another that will be about 40" wide. Then going to put together a couple of shorter sleds. Already checking for plastics and materials for tongues and runners. I am thinking of going with 3/4" for the tongues now. I believe we used 1/2" and it is too flexible by itself, especially when in reverse with the sled. Plus all the sled will have pintle hitches on the back of them so I can run in tandem or triple if needed. Fun project for sure. Once I get the plastic, I'll make sure to take pictures of step by step process and reasons why I built them the way I did.

I put runners on my sled after watching some buddies with sleds with the skegs slide all over the place. I ran 3 runners on mine and it doesn't slide at all sideways. Main reason I put the runners on though was I have to cross the highway with my sleds, so put them on to protect the bottom more so. I really don't need the runners, but do like them as I don't like a sled that slides all over the place.

#3069479 - 03/11/12 01:40 PM Re: Sled Plastic Order. [Re: Family Trapper]
piperniner Offline
trapper

NW :

Your right about the uses for wider sleds. NSW 's 42 " is used a lot by wood haulers, transporters, cabin builders, etc. Some sell it off after the cabin is done and buy a 32 ". I actually prefer the Siglin, because I think it is more versatile. Especially for snowmachine retrieval, material hauling, etc. Personal preference like so many things. The great things about the sleds is they haul whatever your machine can pull.

The reason behind the tongue thickness, is so it flexes and allows the average guy to avoid a spring hitch. But that is the reason for custom options or building your own - to suit your needs. As for sliding , I have not experienced that and was not aware that anyone had that complaint. Although I have heard some people put two skegs on because they side hill a lot.

Don't forget the pictures.

#3069495 - 03/11/12 01:53 PM Re: Sled Plastic Order. [Re: Family Trapper]
northway Offline
trapper

I don't think anyone complained about the sliding, but I was following three guys with the siglin's and I saw how they slid around corners, etc. We were moose hunting so no big deal, but I didn't want my sled to be sliding and hitting trees, etc.

Will surely have a series of pictures to go with each sled and reasons for the sleds. Just another fun project!

#3072093 - 03/12/12 09:17 PM Re: Sled Plastic Order. [Re: Family Trapper]
newhouse114 Offline
trapper

Loc: S.W.Oregon
Check this place out, not sure if this is what you are looking for or not.

http://www.polyskid.com/index.php?cPath=23_154

http://alaskastoneanivory.com/index

#3072857 - 03/13/12 10:08 AM Re: Sled Plastic Order. [Re: Family Trapper]
UgashikBob Offline
trapper

Loc: Alaska Bristol Bay
Just curious since it was mentioned earlier in the post but does it hurt the UMHW plastic to be stored in the sun?

#3074973 - 03/14/12 07:25 PM Re: Sled Plastic Order. [Re: Family Trapper]
Tradbow1 Offline
trapper

Loc: AK
I am curious how we get on the list for this? or has one not been started? I dont mind driving to tok/delta and picking it up...can do the run for the fairbanks crew who are interested if any. I'm hoping to get a sheet or two of 4x10. Not sure if my partner is intersted in it also or not, he's swamped with the fling.

#3075598 - 03/14/12 11:45 PM Re: Sled Plastic Order. [Re: Family Trapper]
Family Trapper Offline
trapper

Loc: Homer, Alaska
Just too busy right now to focus on this but I would say if your interested in getting some post your name here and how many sheets. We do need to find out more about the tongue material. Northway's info will be a real asset here.
All still a maybe.
I would be in for two sheets. Pickup in Mat Valley, Anchorage, Kenai/Sodotna, or Homer.

#3075729 - 03/15/12 04:52 AM Re: Sled Plastic Order. [Re: Family Trapper]
Tradbow1 Offline
trapper

Loc: AK
depending on cost I'd be in for 1 for sure possibly 2....my buddy may also be in for 2 and dont mind the run to get them in tok/delta. can haul to fairbanks for the rest of the gang whose in on it.

on the taller sleds...how long of a tounge is needed?

#3075874 - 03/15/12 08:13 AM Re: Sled Plastic Order. [Re: Family Trapper]
On a Call Offline
trapper

Loc: S/E Mich - N/W Ohio
I just called for a quote on 1/4" x 10 x 4 sheets and a price on 1/2" and 3/4 thick pieces for the toung.

He asked how many sheet you might be interested in. So please speak up if you are interested.

#3075925 - 03/15/12 08:45 AM Re: Sled Plastic Order. [Re: Family Trapper]
FullFreezer Offline
trapper

Loc: Alaska, E.F.R
1 for sure.

#3076178 - 03/15/12 11:59 AM Re: Sled Plastic Order. [Re: Family Trapper]
piperniner Offline
trapper

UB :

The answer is yes it can and cracking is the usual result.

The older white sleds lasted anywhere from 8 to 13 years. Some went 6 and some 15 - it all depends on how they were used and stored out of the sunlight. The special uv enhanced is supposed to last 3 times longer. Bottom line is cover them and store out of the sunlight .

#3076400 - 03/15/12 03:18 PM Re: Sled Plastic Order. [Re: Family Trapper]
UgashikBob Offline
trapper

Loc: Alaska Bristol Bay
PN:
I suspected that so the next one will probably outlive me. Thanks for the info.

#3076540 - 03/15/12 05:14 PM Re: Sled Plastic Order. [Re: Family Trapper]
piperniner Offline
trapper

For what it's worth, that info came from the expert , not from me.

#3078638 - 03/16/12 11:02 PM Re: Sled Plastic Order. [Re: On a Call]
Spek Jones Offline
"FATHER"

Loc: Homer, Alaska
Originally Posted By: On a Call
I just called for a quote on 1/4" x 10 x 4 sheets and a price on 1/2" and 3/4 thick pieces for the toung.

He asked how many sheet you might be interested in. So please speak up if you are interested.

I don't have a horse in this race, but kind of a catch 22 here
looks to me like. If some of the ones interested had a ball
park figure it would at least give them a starting point to
work on. Might post a quote on a single sheet, with the possibility of a quantity discount thrown in there?
(Just a suggestion).

#3078708 - 03/17/12 12:26 AM Re: Sled Plastic Order. [Re: Family Trapper]
FishinHank Offline
trapper

Loc: PWS, AK
I might be interested in a sheet also. Most likely 1/2". I will get with the guys out here and see if they are interested. That stuff works great for cutting boards. If I had a ballpark figure to go off of it would definitely help!

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >