Land Trapping Archive

Home ~ Mission Statement ~ Trap Talk ~ ADC Forum ~ Trap Shed ~ Trap Chat
Trapper Tips ~ Links ~ Gallery ~ Basic Sets ~ Convention Calendar ~ Trapper's Humor
Fur Buyers Directory ~ Trapper's Tales ~ Words From The Past ~ Legends ~ Archives~Lure Formulator Forum
~Catalog~

Topic Options
Hop to:
#307298 - 08/22/07 10:58 AM BOBCATS - toilets
Bak2trappin Offline
trapper

Loc: Kanawha county, WV
where do you look for most of your bobcat toilets. i know that there are cats in my area and i also know that toilets are very productive places to set. the question is where do i look for them? is there a certain type of woods/rocks/fields that they like?
grinners-9
coyotes-1
grey fox-1
myself-2

#307313 - 08/22/07 11:10 AM Re: bobcat toilets [Re: Bak2trappin]
Cattrax Offline
trapper

Loc: Wy
Just about every good one I have found out here has been in real rocky areas, most of them that I use are under big rock over hangs. I have found one scatching tree too, this is the very first one I have ever found, every cat in the country comes to this tree and scatches on it and then urininates on it also, I have lost track of how many cats I have caught at this set, took 6 out of it last year.

#307315 - 08/22/07 11:11 AM Re: bobcat toilets [Re: 160user]
pilgrim Offline
trapper

Loc: Burnet, TX
I walk the dirt roads and look for sandy spots. I have found them where washes has piled sandy soil up.

#307332 - 08/22/07 11:23 AM Re: bobcat toilets [Re: 160user]
Bak2trappin Offline
trapper

Loc: Kanawha county, WV
thanks guys. keep em' comin please.
grinners-9
coyotes-1
grey fox-1
myself-2

#307457 - 08/22/07 01:02 PM Re: bobcat toilets [Re: Bak2trappin]
Hey PORTER Offline
trapper

Loc: WEST VIRGINIA
Hey Bak2, my buddy showed me one he had found. sorta river bluff terrain with very large boulders scattered here and there, the trail went up the bluff and held tight against the boulder, around the boulder to flat area against rock wall, I wasn't a trapper at the time (but I was learnin), he had well blended sets on each side of where he found the concentrated crap.

He did not connect, I think he just ran out of time to trap and had to pull before the cat(s) came back around on their circuit. If he'd had time I Know he would've connected. Bummer to have to pull when you get on sign such as that.

#307479 - 08/22/07 01:30 PM Re: bobcat toilets [Re: Hey PORTER]
TasteLikeChicken Offline
trapper

Loc: Oregon
Here's a picture of one in the Pacific NW.You have to look hard to find them in my neck of the woods. I had an area where I'd been seeing cat tracks in the mud. I usually catch a couple from the area. Finally, after years of searching, I found the toilet area.
Here's a close up of the same area....you can see the scat. If you were there...you could sure smell the area...real bobcatty. Sorry it's blurry.

#307502 - 08/22/07 01:47 PM Re: bobcat toilets [Re: TasteLikeChicken]
dcampbell Offline
trapper

Loc: livingston Tx
in these pine tree thickets where roads intersect or pipelines and roads intersect. high banks on a creek with sandy knolls.

#307840 - 08/22/07 05:25 PM Re: bobcat toilets [Re: dcampbell]
bulletbox Offline

Loc: Robert Lee, TEXAS
I found on this morning on the side of the road, had about 10 droppings in it...

I usually look around gates, or where roads intersect... there is usually a dividing line of some sorts that make cats want to mark that area....

bulletbox,
TEXAS

Even sheep are smart enough to shade up when it gets over 100....

#307888 - 08/22/07 05:42 PM Re: bobcat toilets [Re: bulletbox]
Steve Wood
Unregistered

I found this one last year \:\)

......... and caught this guy going in to use it \:\)

#307982 - 08/22/07 06:49 PM Re: bobcat toilets [Re: ]
VAcattinROCKS Offline
trapper

Loc: Newport News Va
Bak2
I've found most of mine on the logging roads...ATV trails...and sandy spots in each....there in the mntns..sometimes sandy is hard to find...but around rocky outcroppings is very good advice mentioned earlier...
In the GW national forest in western VA...I find cats high...and low...very little activity in the in-between areas.
Hope this helps....
Scott

#308075 - 08/22/07 07:27 PM Re: bobcat toilets [Re: VAcattinROCKS]
Tom_LR
Unregistered

Has anyone ever tried making a fake toilet? Clearing a spot in a logging road, etc and throwing down some sand and using a little gland lure or droppings? Maybe even preseason to try and attract cats to start using that spot? I never have, I'm just curious to see if anyone's tried this.

#308169 - 08/22/07 08:03 PM Re: bobcat toilets [Re: Sledgehammer]
VAcattinROCKS Offline
trapper

Loc: Newport News Va
LMAOOOO!!!!!! Sledge!!! tooo cool

Moderator:  tmrschessie