ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: what to do with ferral CATS? [Re: trapperreynolds] #3070073
03/11/12 09:04 PM
03/11/12 09:04 PM
Gainesville, Alachua, Florida,...
Robb Russell Offline
trapper
Robb Russell  Offline
trapper

Personally I don't like to have anything to do with feral cats and just like SGS said they are domesticated animals and not wildlife.

Back in my early animal removal days I would of caught anything for a buck and feral cats were in big supply. I can tell you I have been bit, scratched,and seen nothing but hard times trying to help folks with their problem feral cats. All I can say Is I learned over time no $$$ is worth the time and aggravation they can cause in your lives.

Find Our Podcasts @ http://www.thewildlifepro.net
Re: what to do with ferral CATS? [Re: trapperreynolds] #3070162
03/11/12 09:32 PM
03/11/12 09:32 PM
Georgia
warrior Offline
trapper
warrior  Offline
trapper

Georgia
This is one area where a NWCO needs to know ALL the laws pertaining to cats both feral and domestic. Here in Georgia there is no such thing as a feral, at least not recognized as such by any entity of governance or law. They are domestics exactly the same as a housecat.
Our DNR has refused to even speak to the issue though off the record many I have spoken to have the same opinion as I. Treat them like all the other non native invasives but officially they don't exist.
So the upshot is no license or permit required for anyone in this state to trap feral cats. A property owner has the absolute right to remove, by any means if you read literally, any animal or pest from his or her property if it is causing damage. Though if it is wildlife there are license and permit requirements to exercise that right.
Next is the question of the disposition of these animals. If it is wildlife then the license or permit will come with instructions as to disposal. If domestic, and all ferals are domestics, they fall under the perview of the local control authority and every county has, by law, a county animal control that is responsible for free ranging domestic species. So once in possession the cat MUST be surrendered to county animal control in the county where captured.
Fortunately since they are proscribed by law to receive these animals they can not charge for receiving them. If any tell you otherwise they are wrong and need a refresher. Also, in my experience all of the animal controls I have worked with fully understand the feral cat problem and will not adopt out a known feral cat. Just be sure for your sake that you clearly state to anyone involved when you surrender a feral thatit is understood IT IS A FERAL CAT. CYA
In addition to the state laws be sure to check into local and county ordinances plus the animal cruelty statutes in your state. Here in Georgia we have a pretty stiff state animal cruelty statute with felony penalties yet it also contains a single sentence exemption that it SHALL NOT APPLY TO AN ANIMAL OR PEST TO BE REMOVED FROM A STRUCTURE OR PROPERTY. Be sure to know this before you get wrapped up in a situation like I did where a county judge stated in open court "state law does not apply in Spalding county".
Really do your homework, cover all your bases and charge accordingly if you want to take the risk of fooling with feral cats. I still fool with ferals but charge way way more than I do for any other species.

[Linked Image]
Re: what to do with ferral CATS? [Re: trapperreynolds] #3070282
03/11/12 10:12 PM
03/11/12 10:12 PM
Haubstadt, In.
G
G Hanold Offline
trapper
G Hanold  Offline
trapper
G

Haubstadt, In.
Warrior I just had a converstation about that with our county animal services. They told me you can do this, this and that. I said yes, but will you be charged on animal cruelty by a local law enforcement agency. They had a hmmmmm never thought about that moment.

User formerly known as Hanible.

Trapping &
Removal of
Animal
Pests
Re: what to do with ferral CATS? [Re: warrior] #3070446
03/11/12 11:34 PM
03/11/12 11:34 PM
Mt. Olive, IL
R
Ron Scheller Offline
trapper
Ron Scheller  Offline
trapper
R

Mt. Olive, IL
Originally Posted By: warrior
This is one area where a NWCO needs to know ALL the laws pertaining to cats both feral and domestic....

So once in possession the cat MUST be surrendered to county animal control in the county where captured....

In addition to the state laws be sure to check into local and county ordinances plus the animal cruelty statutes in your state....

Really do your homework, cover all your bases and charge accordingly if you want to take the risk of fooling with feral cats.

All great points. In Illinois, any cats trapped MUST be taken to a public animal control shelter. It is NOT legal to "take them to a farm" or other properties, and also not legal to euthanize yourself. It is EXTREMELY important to become aware of laws and ordinances in your area BEFORE attempting any feral cat trapping program.

I will not do ANY feral cat jobs, as the hassle factor is too high from "cat people" who will destroy or steal traps, release the cats, slash your tires, etc. I know they are breaking laws with their behavior, but I prefer to work for people who appreciate my work and are helpful.... no time to screw around with a bunch of freakshow cat people. Let them live with the diseased, flea-ridden hiss-bags.

BTW.... can you tell by my subtle writings how I feel about ferals???

Ron Scheller

Re: what to do with ferral CATS? [Re: trapperreynolds] #3070469
03/11/12 11:47 PM
03/11/12 11:47 PM
Mt. Olive, IL
R
Ron Scheller Offline
trapper
Ron Scheller  Offline
trapper
R

Mt. Olive, IL
Another note: Taken from the great Uncle Kirk (LaPierre)..... He did some major feral cat trapping programs. He said it was imperative to FIRST secure a shelter that would accept the cats.... MANY will not. If you have nowhere to take them, you are wasting your time. He also noted the importance of food AND A WATER TRAY OR BOTTLE in the traps due to the high likelihood of an animal cruelty charge from..... you guessed it.... the cat people. On some jobs he had the customer sign a contract stating the CUSTOMER was responsible for taking the trapped cats to the shelter, again due to eliminate a possible PR nightmare or lawsuit for "taking" a cat that a neighbor then "claimed" was theirs.

I know another guy in Arizona who LOVES feral cat jobs, and enjoys the challenge of removing entire colonies in stealth mode. He even places "decoy" traps in plain sight, doors wired open, so the cat people concentrate all their energiy on monitoring those traps.... while he catches the cats in hidden locations that he has pre-baited (food bowls, etc) for a couple weeks before doing a high-intensity trapping program.

Ron Scheller

Re: what to do with ferral CATS? [Re: trapperreynolds] #3070486
03/12/12 12:05 AM
03/12/12 12:05 AM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
Coming from Wisconsin where we tried to put feral cats in the "shoot on sight" cat-a-gory, I find all these posts interesting. Nuts, but interesting. What we try to do here is make any feral cat lover look like someone who hates all other wildlife. They get no sympathy from rehabbers, humane society workers, or law enforcement. They only sympathy they get it from us because they have to pay us to remove the flea-bags. House cats are a whole different matter.

Re: what to do with ferral CATS? [Re: trapperreynolds] #3070589
03/12/12 02:59 AM
03/12/12 02:59 AM
Haubstadt, In.
G
G Hanold Offline
trapper
G Hanold  Offline
trapper
G

Haubstadt, In.
I've only trapped ferals on my own property, that's how I first became interested in nuisance wildlife work. On everyone elses property I love them. The majority of my skunk calls are from people putting food out for the "kitties". Luckily around here more people feel the same as I do about them rather than the irrational love for them. I have warned the few people who have inquired about trapping cats that people will interfere with it and they will be the ones billed for it, whether it's a destroyed trap, wasted time, or both.

User formerly known as Hanible.

Trapping &
Removal of
Animal
Pests
Re: what to do with ferral CATS? [Re: G Hanold] #3075029
03/14/12 08:45 PM
03/14/12 08:45 PM
Frankfort, Ky. USA
T
trapperpaw Offline
trapper
trapperpaw  Offline
trapper
T

Frankfort, Ky. USA
I try to stay away from feral cats unless there is an animal shelter that will take them. I avoid tnr shelters because if that was the answer we should have done that to Ted Bundy and he we wouldn't have had to waste all of his education. I never do it by the cat that way you don't have to account for every cat. Most of the time I am unable to catch them but they disappear possibly out of fear of my deisel growling. The customer usually doesn't ask questions they are just happy they are gone.
When I no longer work and can act senile giving me the freedom to do what needs to be done I am going to specialize in child molesters and feral cats.

Sleep'n with an animal..I can help.
Do not use both feet when testing the depth or temperature of the water
Your Friend,
Paul Brooker
Re: what to do with ferral CATS? [Re: trapperreynolds] #3075044
03/14/12 08:51 PM
03/14/12 08:51 PM
Robb Russell Offline
trapper
Robb Russell  Offline
trapper

Happy Birthday Mr Paul Brooker aka trapperpaw!!

Find Our Podcasts @ http://www.thewildlifepro.net
Re: what to do with ferral CATS? [Re: trapperreynolds] #3075235
03/14/12 09:56 PM
03/14/12 09:56 PM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
Hey Paul, just as long as you don't become a child molester and own feral cats when you get senile.

I'm starting to see a pattern here; all the crazy posts have one thing in common, the name Paul.

Re: what to do with ferral CATS? [Re: Paul Winkelmann] #3075531
03/14/12 11:42 PM
03/14/12 11:42 PM
Frankfort, Ky. USA
T
trapperpaw Offline
trapper
trapperpaw  Offline
trapper
T

Frankfort, Ky. USA
Thanks Robb for the birthday wish and thanks for the sharing you do. Paul I thought about that but I get comfort in seeing other crazy posts from some of the craziest names. I was disappointed that you never commented on my comments reference you doin turkeys post.
NOW BACK TO SERIAL KILLIN FERAL CATS!!!

Your Friend,
Paul Brooker
Re: what to do with ferral CATS? [Re: trapperreynolds] #3076062
03/15/12 11:44 AM
03/15/12 11:44 AM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
Paul, I was trying to erase that turkey job from my mind. No matter how I looked at it, I was not going to be a hero on that job.

Re: what to do with ferral CATS? [Re: trapperreynolds] #3076191
03/15/12 01:14 PM
03/15/12 01:14 PM
Finger Lakes Region, NY
Nic Pallo Offline
trapper
Nic Pallo  Offline
trapper

Finger Lakes Region, NY
In NY they are not "wildlife" either so our license doesnt cover it, which as I take it, you don't need a NWCO license to trap them either. I trap, transfer to a carrier and my hands are free from there. The customer then transports the cat to the shelter and thats on them. I still make sure its a real ferral problem before I set the cage and not someone upset at a neighbor etc..

Re: what to do with ferral CATS? [Re: trapperreynolds] #3077135
03/15/12 11:31 PM
03/15/12 11:31 PM
Indianapolis, IN
P
ProLine Offline
trapper
ProLine  Offline
trapper
P

Indianapolis, IN
Paul contact Paul , he has personal in with Turtle man
if you need him on the turkey job, just saying

Re: what to do with ferral CATS? [Re: ProLine] #3077243
03/16/12 01:32 AM
03/16/12 01:32 AM
Frankfort, Ky. USA
T
trapperpaw Offline
trapper
trapperpaw  Offline
trapper
T

Frankfort, Ky. USA
I don't have a contact with turtleman here in Kentucky but I do have a friend called Turdleman in Indianapolis. I'm not sure how he got the nickname. He has had it since he was a kid and he won't talk about it. He was either catching them or releasing them I don't know... because he gets mad everytime I try to get him to tell me about it. He also has a phobia of flushing toilets. I've contacted Dr. Fill and he thinks he's full of it and wants to help... but Turdleman is suspicious of outsiders. Enough about turdleman on this cat thread. I'm going to start a turdleman thread because my turdleman lives in Indy but I got a feeling a lot of people have a turdleman in their life and would like to talk about it.

Your Friend,
Paul Brooker
Re: what to do with ferral CATS? [Re: trapperreynolds] #3077592
03/16/12 11:36 AM
03/16/12 11:36 AM
St. Louis area
D
Dave Schmidt Offline
trapper
Dave Schmidt  Offline
trapper
D

St. Louis area
Here's a crazy idea...ASK YOUR LOCAL AUTHORITIES!!
It never ceases to amaze me how many people expect the users of this forum - which has contributers nationwide and beyond - to advise them on local laws! Pick up the phone! Do you know what county you work in? Start with the animal control in your county, then the state.
The laws can be very vague on this subject. That's why you need to be on a first-name basis with your Animal Control Officer.

Last edited by Dave Schmidt; 03/16/12 11:39 AM.

ALL OUT Wildlife Control
Re: what to do with ferral CATS? [Re: trapperpaw] #3077611
03/16/12 11:54 AM
03/16/12 11:54 AM
St. Louis area
D
Dave Schmidt Offline
trapper
Dave Schmidt  Offline
trapper
D

St. Louis area
When I no longer work and can act senile giving me the freedom to do what needs to be done I am going to specialize in child molesters and feral cats. [/quote]
Paul, I hope I never get on your (poop)list!
And Happy (belated) Birthday! I haven't been on the puter for several days.

ALL OUT Wildlife Control
Re: what to do with ferral CATS? [Re: trapperreynolds] #3077666
03/16/12 12:41 PM
03/16/12 12:41 PM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
Dave, asking our local authorities IS the same as asking on Trapperman. They make stuff up as they go along. I am on a first name basis with my animal control officer because he's me. If any of you has a feral cat related question; it's shoot first and ask questions later. If you get in trouble, just tell them Paul W. said it was okay. ( Using my name usually only gets you two or three extra years in the slammer )

Re: what to do with ferral CATS? [Re: trapperreynolds] #3077700
03/16/12 01:07 PM
03/16/12 01:07 PM
St. Louis area
D
Dave Schmidt Offline
trapper
Dave Schmidt  Offline
trapper
D

St. Louis area
Well, yeah, but the point is, you get it from the horse's mouth, so to speak; if there's any trouble, you can say "Mr. ACO told me such-and-such".

ALL OUT Wildlife Control
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread