Wilderness Trapping and Living

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar

Photo Gallery~Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulator Forum

~Dobbins' Catalog~

Alaska Trappers Association

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
Hop to:
#3064792 - 03/08/12 11:36 PM Sled Plastic Order.
Family Trapper Offline
trapper

Loc: Homer, Alaska
So throwing it out there. I want to make 1 if not 2 sleds this summer. Looking for the best deal on Umhw or what ever the name is. Is there savings to be had if a number of guys go in on an order? Where and how. Thinking Anchorage delivery. Anyone have input. Want to get in on an order? Links to websites would be helpful. I have to find the ones I posted earlier.
So sligin, crossfox is what I am thinking. Northway I am hoping to get your input. There truly is no better sled in my mind. I want however to have a front snow blocker.
Questions, comments, input. All welcome.

Edited by Family Trapper (03/08/12 11:37 PM)

#3064815 - 03/08/12 11:47 PM Re: Sled Plastic Order. [Re: Family Trapper]
mad_mike Offline
trapper

Loc: Podunk, Alaska
My last order for a 16'x8' sheet of 3/8 UHMW was with Lee Olsen in Fairbanks. He will have it shipped from Seattle to wherever.

#3064822 - 03/08/12 11:51 PM Re: Sled Plastic Order. [Re: Family Trapper]
piperniner Offline
trapper

Loc: Alaska
Image Plastics in Anc. sells it - you could ask about a bulk price discount. Might also try Randy at Plaschem Supply in Anc. - he will know of a supplier. I suspect Northway may have a better priced outlet. If someone was driving up from down South with a pickup, that would help. It comes in 12 foot also. Don't get the recycled or non UV protected - that is usually Black.

#3064857 - 03/09/12 12:21 AM Re: Sled Plastic Order. [Re: piperniner]
mad_mike Offline
trapper

I agree on not getting the recycled goods. Also you want to get a product that is UV stable. I went with the Blue Iron UHMW. They weld to make large length sheets but you are limited to 8' width. They offer 1/4"-1/2" sheet goods

#3065019 - 03/09/12 06:19 AM Re: Sled Plastic Order. [Re: Family Trapper]
On a Call Offline
trapper

Loc: S/E Mich - N/W Ohio
If you are interested I have a friend who sells plastics. I know he could quote the job. Not certain about shipping from over here but I know he is reasonable.

If you want me to look into it PM me.

#3065106 - 03/09/12 07:37 AM Re: Sled Plastic Order. [Re: Family Trapper]
Tradbow1 Offline
trapper

Loc: AK
I am in. Been doing some digging on what I want in one. Buddy has me convinced 4x10 is enough. I do like the idea of having higher sides. The loops in the packers and a ratchet strap to hold it all down. Figure the way my luck is it will hopefully keep me from loosing too much gear when a lid comes off lol.

Jr has some d rings in the bottom of his. Along with two runners inside and out. His was huuuuge!!!

Also heard blues the way to go. Will pass on the suppliers I got info on in a bit. Both where down south.

Btw forgot till last night about your axe bracket Ft. Northern power in Fairbanks sells them. I will get a pic of my buddies setup next time I get that way. He's busy with fling stuff lately and I am working two jobs so it will be a bit I am sure.

#3065288 - 03/09/12 09:37 AM Re: Sled Plastic Order. [Re: Family Trapper]
otterman Offline

Loc: SW Alaska
FT check with Ak rubber in Anchorage for some pricing

#3065490 - 03/09/12 11:30 AM Re: Sled Plastic Order. [Re: Family Trapper]
UgashikBob Offline
trapper

Loc: Alaska Bristol Bay
I'm in the market fro a 2'x8' section of 1/4" if it helps on a bulk buy and can be picked up in Anchorage. I notice the store bought sleds are using 1" x 1 1/2" strips for runners and was curious what anyone else was using for better tracking. The 1/4" stuff below lasted 15 years but wondering if the 3/8" is worth the extra cost. Assume it can be heated and formed like the 1/4" stuff.

#3065502 - 03/09/12 11:34 AM Re: Sled Plastic Order. [Re: Family Trapper]
northway Offline
trapper

Loc: Tok, Alaska
Best deal is if we could get someone driving up from the states to bring it along. There is a "possibility" that I may be heading down later in the summer. It is a possibility and planned on bringing back umhw. I would recommend going with superslide as they have different places across the states with it. I had some lined up last summer, but it fell through.

Len, a place of 1/8" umhw across the front is all you need to block the snow out.

#3065660 - 03/09/12 01:27 PM Re: Sled Plastic Order. [Re: northway]
otterman Offline

Loc: SW Alaska
Originally Posted By: northway

Len, a place of 1/8" umhw across the front is all you need to block the snow out.

Do you have a picture of what you mean ?

#3066236 - 03/09/12 06:43 PM Re: Sled Plastic Order. [Re: Family Trapper]
akntrpr Offline
trapper

Loc: Tok, Ak.
I bought a sheet of 1/8 4'X10' from Alaska Rubber a couple months ago for 150.00
I'll be coming back from the states the second week of August with my box van and trailer. I could bring some sheets back then.

non illigitimi carborundum

#3066374 - 03/09/12 07:26 PM Re: Sled Plastic Order. [Re: Family Trapper]
Tradbow1 Offline
trapper

Loc: AK
Bob, that is the size runners JR is using also I believe.

Super slide is one place....gotta go through emails to find the other.

#3066668 - 03/09/12 08:58 PM Re: Sled Plastic Order. [Re: UgashikBob]
mad_mike Offline
trapper

UBob, the cracks in that plastic look like what I have seen down here in the older P-tex. I thought the cracks to be from UV damage not stress fractures. Still, sounds like you got you moneys worth out of that sled.

#3066685 - 03/09/12 09:04 PM Re: Sled Plastic Order. [Re: Family Trapper]
Family Trapper Offline
trapper

Loc: Homer, Alaska
AKNTRPR
Your our man.
If you would be willing to give us shot at it I bet we can get you some gas money and then some. Lets keep this going.
I can't work on things right now as I am not the run. But lets keep this option open.
Please place any contact info that might be available for plastic quotes here.
Ted where would not be out of the way to do a pickup on the plastic?

#3066715 - 03/09/12 09:15 PM Re: Sled Plastic Order. [Re: Family Trapper]
akntrpr Offline
trapper

I'm going to the NTA in owatanna and then over to michigan to pick up a car and then across the top. Lots of states that would work, Minnesota, North Dakota, Wisconsin, Michigan etc. Theres a chance I could be going to Arizona in 3 or 4 weeks also.

#3067593 - 03/10/12 11:57 AM Re: Sled Plastic Order. [Re: Family Trapper]
On a Call Offline
trapper

Loc: S/E Mich - N/W Ohio
If you are going through Ohio or Michigan I can hook you up with a wholesale company I buy from. Never purchased UHMD ( Ultra High Molecular Density ?? ) But I doubt his prices can be beat. Let me know if you are interested !

If you are driving through Mn you might want to buy fuel there. http://www.startribune.com/local/142011373.html

Brian

Edited by On a Call (03/10/12 12:14 PM)

#3067632 - 03/10/12 12:16 PM Re: Sled Plastic Order. [Re: Family Trapper]
piperniner Offline
trapper

Please post the prices if you find out.

Akt's price quote seems pretty low for quality, UV UHMW ( UHM WEIGHT ) .

#3067641 - 03/10/12 12:29 PM Re: Sled Plastic Order. [Re: Family Trapper]
piperniner Offline
trapper

Oh - I should have said I am talking one quarter inch, which is what you want if your replicating a NSW 's.

#3067642 - 03/10/12 12:32 PM Re: Sled Plastic Order. [Re: Family Trapper]
akntrpr Offline
trapper

That was 1/8" not 1/4" and it was the black so I don't know if it is UV resistant or not.

#3067649 - 03/10/12 12:37 PM Re: Sled Plastic Order. [Re: Family Trapper]
piperniner Offline
trapper

Thanks AKT - I saw that and yes I think the black is usually reconditioned as they call it. A guy in Fairbanks makes them out of black. NSW's also cautions about using it, but who knows.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >