Land Trapping Archive

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Catalog~

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Hop to:
#306182 - 08/21/07 06:28 PM One Last Time
PSB1011
Unregistered

Has anyone ever had a coyote open a J hook on their trap chain?

#306187 - 08/21/07 06:32 PM Re: One Last Time [Re: ]
Samuelhasguns Offline
trapper

Loc: Pennsylvania,Lackawanna
I'm sure if you stick around long enough, someone will tell you it happened to them..They say all kinds of stuff here !

Personally,I never had it happen before.

#306189 - 08/21/07 06:32 PM Re: One Last Time [Re: ]
fishmax2 Offline
trapper

Loc: Kansas, Goddard
Yes and No Phil \:D I had a catch circle with coyote tracks all over in it, and it was a coyote set with a #3. The trap was gone, the stakes were still there as I left them and the chain was attached to them and it was seperated at the Jhook, but I cannot assure you that the coyote itself opened the jaws, for I more or less believe that was someone else's doing. They just couldn't pull the crossed rebar stakes in frozen ground methinks.

#306195 - 08/21/07 06:33 PM Re: One Last Time [Re: ]
Slim Pedersen Offline
"Trapping Icon' "

Loc: N. Dakota
Not for years, but use to happen all the time. J-Hooks are like traps, and have been improved over the years, yet I still see a few now and then that I would not want on mine---those that have a weird loop on the chain hook, or those that are light.

#306201 - 08/21/07 06:36 PM Re: One Last Time [Re: Slim Pedersen]
KYBOY Offline
trapper

Loc: East, Kentucky
No sir, Ive had traps busted several times but no J hooks opened..

#306208 - 08/21/07 06:37 PM Re: One Last Time [Re: ]
j morris Offline
trapper

Loc: Clearwater, KS
Years ago, yes, once on a #3 DLS. All of mine are spot welded. A #6 in a crunch proof, no. I have personally witnessed many times what a coyote can do to the inferior swivels though, does this count Phil?

In all fairness, there are bigger and better products on the market now so I wouldn't call it what it seems.

And, I believe the swivel plugged and the j-hook was twisted open not pulled open.

I have had cable stakes worked through the little bitty nook in a j-hook as well. Don't attach that a way anymore either.

Now split rings, I am not going to even start.

Jerry Morris

#306215 - 08/21/07 06:40 PM Re: One Last Time [Re: KYBOY]
Grubstake Offline
trapper

Loc: Lotw MN
maybe mythbusters can do a show on it. or maybe we can hitch up kyboy, hit him with a cattle prod and if it dont open no yote in the world is gonna open em.

#306226 - 08/21/07 06:44 PM Re: One Last Time [Re: Grubstake]
wheelers Offline

"Camping Sheriff"

Loc: Minnesota
No j hooks opened up here.

#306260 - 08/21/07 06:59 PM Re: One Last Time [Re: wheelers]
Tim Wilcox Offline
trapper

Loc: Silver Springs, NY
Never happened to me Phil

#306276 - 08/21/07 07:04 PM Re: One Last Time [Re: Tim Wilcox]
k-9hunter Offline
trapper

Loc: ontario,canada
had one twisted open after he crushed the swivel than had every corn stock he could reach wrapped up in that chain glad i got there when i did

#306285 - 08/21/07 07:07 PM Re: One Last Time [Re: k-9hunter]
Trapper RD
Unregistered

Always heard it could happen so I hit all mine with the mig. RD

#306292 - 08/21/07 07:09 PM Re: One Last Time [Re: Grubstake]
KYBOY Offline
trapper

Loc: East, Kentucky
 Originally Posted By: Grubstake
maybe mythbusters can do a show on it. or maybe we can hitch up kyboy, hit him with a cattle prod and if it dont open no yote in the world is gonna open em.

Ill give her my best

#306294 - 08/21/07 07:10 PM Re: One Last Time [Re: ]
dallas
Unregistered

as many yotes as you have Phil, I wouldn't worry about it

#306311 - 08/21/07 07:18 PM Re: One Last Time [Re: ]
Geezerman Offline
trapper

Loc: Allen County, Indiana
nope, but had one break a #3 duke , bent the baseplate, which wasn't reinforced and popped the jaw, had one break a cable stake adn one pump up a rebar stake, but he got caught in an old fence. They'll bend up stuff, but never a bent or opened J hook

#306345 - 08/21/07 07:36 PM Re: One Last Time [Re: Geezerman]
Heimbrock Offline
trapper

Loc: Ohio/Maryland
No

BUT I’ve had thieves open up un-welded j-hooks. (That don’t happen unless its easier to do than getting’ the stakes out, obviously)

AND by welding the j-hooks (or ‘Sterling nail-hooks’) the swiveling action wasn’t precluded by the accumulation of grass and debris. Not only is this an asset with regards to coyotes it is also nicer on certain non-targets. For this reason any trap I’m setting up with enough, shall we say, derriere (will that get past the sensor?) to handle coyotes is going to have Sterling swivels and everything welded.

#306347 - 08/21/07 07:38 PM Re: One Last Time [Re: Heimbrock]
j morris Offline
trapper

Loc: Clearwater, KS
 Originally Posted By: Heimbrock
No

BUT I’ve had thieves open up un-welded j-hooks. (That don’t happen unless its easier to do than getting’ the stakes out, obviously)

AND by welding the j-hooks (or ‘Sterling nail-hooks’) the swiveling action wasn’t precluded by the accumulation of grass and debris. Not only is this an asset with regards to coyotes it is also nicer on certain non-targets. For this reason any trap I’m setting up with enough, shall we say, derriere (will that get past the sensor?) to handle coyotes is going to have Sterling swivels and everything welded.

Ahhhhh, I like you already! I am a firm believer of Sterling Swivels.

Jerry Morris

#306350 - 08/21/07 07:40 PM Re: One Last Time [Re: Heimbrock]
ADC
Unregistered

I lost one coyote to an opened j-hook but I can not say for sure if the coyote opened it or if it was opened some time prior by myself while using the chain to pull the trap and move it.

~ADC~

#306367 - 08/21/07 07:45 PM Re: One Last Time [Re: ]
Heimbrock Offline
trapper

Loc: Ohio/Maryland
I should add that a box swivel is like a small grain header on a combine when the sickle bar isn’t working and just wants stuff to wind up around it whereas the Sterling swivel doesn’t suffer the same deficiency.

#306402 - 08/21/07 08:02 PM Re: One Last Time [Re: Heimbrock]
PSB1011
Unregistered

I started welding some of the Jhooks already,but was wondering if it was nessessarry.Don't have many coyotes here,but may go where there are some in the future.
Got a mig,but it is a pain in the butt welding them little jhooks.

#306491 - 08/21/07 08:37 PM Re: One Last Time [Re: ]
Jtrapper Offline

Loc: Alabama (Bama for short) 108 y...
They will open the J-Hooks if you are using the J.C. Conner shock springs WITHOUT the little circle ring deals on the end of the T-Bars. Without them that T-Bar will wedge inside the j-hook and act like a screw driver.

Was what i was going to say, thanks for saving me the trouble A.

Id not worry about it Phil, isn't that big of an issue and no ive never had one opened, had several light swivels collapsed but the j hook held.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  tmrschessie