Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support our sponsors for the Strictly Trapping Page - Trappers Post

Page 17 of 27 < 1 2 ... 15 16 17 18 19 ... 26 27 >
Topic Options
Hop to:
#2987382 - 02/01/12 09:20 PM Re: Reasons why coyotes avoid snares! [Re: LT GREY]
camlock37 Offline
trapper

Loc: Pequot Lakes, MN
My blocking of the the wider trails down to snare width has been mostly straight across like a fortress. I am new to snaring and appreciate the tip.

#2987941 - 02/02/12 08:45 AM Re: Reasons why coyotes avoid snares! [Re: LT GREY]
LT GREY Offline
trapper

Loc: Central Ohio
Change it !
Doing it that way, will cause coyotes to spot it as unnatural and either turn around or avoid the area altogether...

#2992480 - 02/04/12 11:33 AM Re: Reasons why coyotes avoid snares! [Re: BearCrazy]
huntindog Offline
trapper

Loc: polk county, WI
wondering how the 9 wire is holding the loop... when the yote walks through it, does it pull back at all? looks like the 9 wire goes through the loop hole first and then hold it outside the loop with an "S" type configuration... if coyotes feel that resistance, do they back out?

38 coon
41 rats

#2995689 - 02/05/12 09:34 PM Re: Reasons why coyotes avoid snares! [Re: LT GREY]
huntindog Offline
trapper

i have had some trouble with the yotes, anyone have any suggestions. maybe i just need some more snow..?

38 coon
41 rats

#2996744 - 02/06/12 02:48 PM Re: Reasons why coyotes avoid snares! [Re: LT GREY]
NDFURTRAPPER Offline
trapper

Loc: North Dakota
most of your snares look good but i would do some measuring...i took a coyote i caught and measured from the ground to the bottom of the neck and cut a small aluminum pipe (old aluminum arrow) and took some wire and make a circle the size the snare should be, wired the wire and the pipe together..i check everyone of my trail snares with it............you might want to put some more sticks or grass up for camo....are the snares fallen over when you check them or not even touched...ill take some pics of the checker
5 beavers
3 skunks
6 coyotes
4 jacks
2 mink

#2998323 - 02/07/12 07:38 AM Re: Reasons why coyotes avoid snares! [Re: LT GREY]
huntindog Offline
trapper

couple nock downs. i'll be a bit more careful with my measuring. i like the arrow idea...

38 coon
41 rats

#2998713 - 02/07/12 11:23 AM Re: Reasons why coyotes avoid snares! [Re: huntindog]
MNCedar Offline
trapper

Loc: Central MN
All of those sets would catch deer in my area. Why is there overhead blocking on every single one?

If you have cable restraint regs can you even legally set like that?

If you can see every one of your snare sets, plain as day, you're not going to catch many coyotes.

You should have a hard time seeing your snares, they should just melt into the background. I put a small piece of flagging above every snare I set. Makes it much easier to check. Find the flag....look directly below it....and either remove the catch or on to the next one.

#2998716 - 02/07/12 11:27 AM Re: Reasons why coyotes avoid snares! [Re: MNCedar]
MNCedar Offline
trapper

And you shouldn't need a tool to hang a snare.

Yeah, when I first started I had a little stick with marks on it. Threw it away because it just makes things more complicated.

Make a fist, and then spread your pinky and your thumb in opposite directions. Like a "hang ten" sign or whatever you want to call it.

Measure that....and check your loop width and heigth.

If you loose that measuring tool you've got bigger problems that day.

#2998857 - 02/07/12 01:07 PM Re: Reasons why coyotes avoid snares! [Re: huntindog]
Campbery Offline
trapper

Loc: Canada
I think you loops are too small and are too low to the ground, set locations look
good, I would add some grass to your support wires for camo

#2999051 - 02/07/12 02:37 PM Re: Reasons why coyotes avoid snares! [Re: LT GREY]
NDFURTRAPPER Offline
trapper

if you need to use the tool to get good at getting them the right size and hight sooo what....after a wile you will just be able to do it without checking but in the mean wile....it helps..............i agree with campbery
5 beavers
3 skunks
6 coyotes
4 jacks
2 mink

#2999339 - 02/07/12 04:30 PM Re: Reasons why coyotes avoid snares! [Re: LT GREY]
J_M Offline
trapper

Loc: Minnesota
I think MNCedar is trying to get at you have a good measuring tool thumb to little finger should be approx 8 inches set snare 1 inch above that; same with loop and no tools to lose look or reach for. It's more of a speed thing, your hand is already there might as well use for measuring to. If the tool helps go ahead and use it but MNCedar was trying to give advice on how we can all save time on the line that kind of advice I always like to hear that only ends up in an extra critter or two in the truck where I like them.

LT Grey I have been thinking of the barricade blocking vs. gradual V I am guilty of barricading but have never seen gradual V done. I am very interested to hear more I understand the concept but still having a tough time getting little brain wrapped around it well enough to put into practice.

#2999418 - 02/07/12 05:01 PM Re: Reasons why coyotes avoid snares! [Re: NDFURTRAPPER]
MNCedar Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: NDFURTRAPPER
if you need to use the tool to get good at getting them the right size and hight sooo what....after a wile you will just be able to do it without checking but in the mean wile....it helps..............i agree with campbery

You completely, 100%, missed the point of my post. Don't worry, I kinda got a chuckle out of it.

Go ahead....use your welded arrow shaft to set your snares.

The flagging trick has really helped me be more efficient. Makes for a quick, couple second visual, instead of a 20 second stare trying to see if the snare is there, or looking 10 feet off in the wrong direction. Easy to see live ones, but dead coyotes don't dance.

Also, when snaring in tall grass, a subtle flag in the catch circle (something the animal will knock down) allows for checking from a further distance, at least showing a catch in areas where they won't tangle up right away.

I appreciate more and more that a good snare for a coyote will have him dead with the trail location still pretty much intact.

I'm no expert, just things that have really helped me.

#2999467 - 02/07/12 05:26 PM Re: Reasons why coyotes avoid snares! [Re: LT GREY]
POWER SNARER Offline
trapper

Loc: Manitoba Canada
i don't think that age has anything to do with because i'm thirteen and caught 49 coyotes this year

#2999668 - 02/07/12 06:34 PM Re: Reasons why coyotes avoid snares! [Re: LT GREY]
POWER SNARER Offline
trapper

Loc: Manitoba Canada
makes sense

Edited by POWER SNARER (02/07/12 06:34 PM)

#2999762 - 02/07/12 07:07 PM Re: Reasons why coyotes avoid snares! [Re: POWER SNARER]
NDFURTRAPPER Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: POWER SNARER
i don't think that age has anything to do with because i'm thirteen and caught 49 coyotes this year

soo true...not much of a coyote trapper compared to you yet and im 15 but i can say im only 15 with 286 muskrats for the year....kids-1..... adults-0
5 beavers
3 skunks
6 coyotes
4 jacks
2 mink

#2999857 - 02/07/12 07:43 PM Re: Reasons why coyotes avoid snares! [Re: MNCedar]
Bigkolo Offline
trapper

Loc: Southern Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: MNCedar
How do you have 286 rats and $900 for a fur check? confused

I'm not an adult either....so I don't know who gets the point for that one!

Just tried to give some tips that helped me....and it turned into this?

Happy trapping....and welding arrow shaft snare loop size guage tools.

Leave the guy alone!

#2999867 - 02/07/12 07:45 PM Re: Reasons why coyotes avoid snares! [Re: NDFURTRAPPER]
Bigkolo Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: POWER SNARER

soo true...not much of a coyote trapper compared to you yet and im 15 but i can say im only 15 with 286 muskrats for the year....kids-1..... adults-0

Keep at it man!
Nice work!

#3000163 - 02/07/12 09:58 PM Re: Reasons why coyotes avoid snares! [Re: LT GREY]
NDFURTRAPPER Offline
trapper

still have about 200 rat in the freezer...
5 beavers
3 skunks
6 coyotes
4 jacks
2 mink

#3001713 - 02/08/12 06:04 PM Re: Reasons why coyotes avoid snares! [Re: NDFURTRAPPER]
Bigkolo Offline
trapper

still have about 200 rat in the freezer...

nice!
what do you average for them over there?

#3001902 - 02/08/12 07:10 PM Re: Reasons why coyotes avoid snares! [Re: LT GREY]
NDFURTRAPPER Offline
trapper

4.50 what about u
5 beavers
3 skunks
6 coyotes
4 jacks
2 mink

Page 17 of 27 < 1 2 ... 15 16 17 18 19 ... 26 27 >

Moderator:  Drifter, tmrschessie