Land Trapping Archive

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Catalog~

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Hop to:
#300197 - 08/17/07 03:39 PM Re: WHATS THE BEST CAT FLAGGING????? [Re: Billy Y]
Kansasbert Offline
trapper

Loc: Kansas
Billy you hang the Nuge's CD to help ya with that cat scratch fever?

#300220 - 08/17/07 03:53 PM Re: WHATS THE BEST CAT FLAGGING????? [Re: bulletbox]
CharlesKS Offline

Loc: Kansas,32,6-1,220,B/B NS
 Originally Posted By: bulletbox

The red color goes back to my Grandfather, he felt that cats were attracted to red... he would chase a red bird all over the country when cat trapping.....

take a walk in the woods around here anyways, and youd be amazed the number of CARDINAL feather puff remminants that were ate by at cat compared to other birds. ;\)

#300227 - 08/17/07 03:59 PM Re: WHATS THE BEST CAT FLAGGING????? [Re: CharlesKS]
Kansasbert Offline
trapper

Loc: Kansas
Ive noticed that too charles, red birds and blue jays it seems get wacked a bunch. Ive always wondered if they get eaten more often, or do I just notice those feathers on the ground because they are so bright and walk right past the quail and sparrow feathers because they blen in so well. I mean I cant count the number of times I had to look and look for a quail or dove I shot and watched it hit the ground they just seem to vanish.

One of the great mysteries the world will never know? LOL

#300233 - 08/17/07 04:02 PM Re: WHATS THE BEST CAT FLAGGING????? [Re: Kansasbert]
Lone trapper Offline
trapper

Loc: TX
Turkey, dove, and quail wings.
I also like wool. Gonna have to get me some before long.
LT

#300235 - 08/17/07 04:03 PM Re: WHATS THE BEST CAT FLAGGING????? [Re: Kansasbert]
CharlesKS Offline

your probably rights, but, when the cat takes the bird ontop of a downed log to eat it.......

next time your in the woods, pay close attention to the downed logs. look on them, you will see lots of cat sign there. i assume its cats.

also, in the snow, you can see the brown feathers to, but yea, those red ones really get your eye.

#300237 - 08/17/07 04:05 PM Re: WHATS THE BEST CAT FLAGGING????? [Re: CharlesKS]
CharlesKS Offline

this is a prety good flagging. couldnt make up my mind to go with flattened squirrel, or a feather. so i used both. the squirrel made a nice "feather holder"

#300238 - 08/17/07 04:05 PM Re: WHATS THE BEST CAT FLAGGING????? [Re: Kansasbert]
coongrease Offline
trapper

Loc: Beaver Co. Pa.
I cut strips from the bottom of those disposable aluminum pans a couple inches wide and 8" or 9" long put a little twist in them punch a hole close to one end hang them from something. I use real thin wire to hang mine. it don't tangle up like string or fishing line. Two pieces of wire a short piece through the hole in the strip to form a circle (like a key ring) and a long piece through the circle and wrap it back on it self forming another circle. The other end of the long piece is wraped to what ever your hanging it from. Get the pans at the dollar store.

#300239 - 08/17/07 04:05 PM Re: WHATS THE BEST CAT FLAGGING????? [Re: Kansasbert]
grumpy Offline
trapper

Loc: plattsburg, missouri
one thing i've used that's a bit unusual is the tail feathers out of a peacock. just jab them into the ground several paces from your set and it will sway in the breeze without getting tangled up.

the grump.

#300264 - 08/17/07 04:37 PM Re: WHATS THE BEST CAT FLAGGING????? [Re: grumpy]
possum5676 Offline
trapper

Loc: kansas
now let me get this straight, you fellows are pulling cats across feilds with pinwheels, feathers, etc., how wide is the field? you really mean that with flagging you could catch cats that are walking along a thicket or creek bottom or treeline out in the open field by drawing him into the set with a pinwheel or a bird feather??? so if you have no permission on joe blows place that is crawling with cats and lots of nice catty cover, but you do have permission on frank blows place, a ploughed feild a feild away from the nice catty cover at joe blows you would run right out and make some cat sets with pinwheels or bird feathers and fully expect to catch cats fron frank blows place over on joe blows place, acrossed a feild, with a pinwheel or some bird feathers, you would as grown men, trappers honestly go out and do this and spend 3 dollor a gallon gas on it and really think ya are gonna fill the truck up with cats? yuou gotta be funnin me right????

#300268 - 08/17/07 04:40 PM Re: WHATS THE BEST CAT FLAGGING????? [Re: grumpy]
Rpowers Offline
trapper

Loc: NW Arkansas
unfortunantly we are unable to use any attractor consisting of "animal matter" which pretty much stinks.

#300271 - 08/17/07 04:42 PM Re: WHATS THE BEST CAT FLAGGING????? [Re: possum5676]
bulletbox Offline

Loc: Robert Lee, TEXAS
Who said, you could pull a cat that far, unless the cat wanted to go there in the first place...

When I am pulling a cat, I might mean getting it to move 3 feet off a road, or off a sheep trail...

You every try to make a cat do much of anything?? it is durned near impossible, unless it was the cat's idea....

If you want to catch the cats on the other place, you best get permission.... LOL.....

bulletbox,
TEXAS

Even sheep are smart enough to shade up when it gets over 100....

#300279 - 08/17/07 04:46 PM Re: WHATS THE BEST CAT FLAGGING????? [Re: bulletbox]
mike jerrell Offline
trapper

Loc: Mississippi
I know its hard to herd em and give em baths.

#300283 - 08/17/07 04:49 PM Re: WHATS THE BEST CAT FLAGGING????? [Re: bulletbox]
CharlesKS Offline

no one said anything of the sort possum.

flagging is used merely as one of several things needed AT the set to hold a cats attention.

you, as a grown man, wouldnt make assumptions with electricity at .12 cents a kilowat would you? you surely jest?

#300421 - 08/17/07 06:44 PM Re: WHATS THE BEST CAT FLAGGING????? [Re: CharlesKS]
VAcattinROCKS Offline
trapper

Loc: Newport News Va
I flag high (6 feet or so) and I flag low (2 feet or so)..depending on the terrain...and through a variety of sources I came up with a pretty good system...and had a suprise along they way...sit back relax..and let me tell my story \:\)
I tried the fishing line thing..worked well, until the high winds on top of the mtn messed em all up...what to do...put on the thinking cap..and pulled files out of memory bank....I took a
12" pc of 24 gauge wire...wrapped it around my finger, made a loop...on the other end..I bent a 1/4" 90
stuck a turkey feather with a heavy sewing needle...stuck the lil 90 into the hole and duck taped it tight.
Then I took a clothespin...drilled an 1/8 inch hole in it...took 10" of 12 ga wire...bent a tiny 90 in it too...stuck the 90 in the hole (just below the spring) and wrapped duck tape around the handle tight also....then I inserted the 12 ga through the loop made...in the 24 ga...and made another loop..and wrapped it tight...cut the excess off FLUSH!!! <---very important
Now I have a turkey feather clip on a branch flag...the light wire allows movement with very little wind...and this rig takes about 3 seconds to attach at a set....
Now the suprise....a Buzzard wing feather...is even better than a turkey feather, I happened on a dead buzzard....and clipped his wings, thinkin his wings are designed to soar for long distances..and I was RIGHT!!!! If you just LOOK hard at a buzzard feather..it starts to swing on the wire...and to acknowledge some previously stated complaints....the top is all-but-black.....and the bottom is a whitish-grey GREAT CONTRAST!!!
Hope this helps....
Scott

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  tmrschessie