Land Trapping Archive

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Catalog~

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Hop to:
#300004 - 08/17/07 01:37 PM WHATS THE BEST CAT FLAGGING?????
Andy Skwiat
Unregistered

I'm not talking feathers in the dirthole. I'm talking something hanging in a tree to get there attention from a distance.

Then bring them in for the kill!

Turkey Flight Feathers, CD's, Rabbit Fur, Squirrel Tails???

What to you like to hang??

#300013 - 08/17/07 01:41 PM Re: WHATS THE BEST CAT FLAGGING????? [Re: ]
Grubstake Offline
trapper

Loc: Lotw MN
goose wings

#300015 - 08/17/07 01:41 PM Re: WHATS THE BEST CAT FLAGGING????? [Re: ]
j morris Offline
trapper

Loc: Clearwater, KS
My favorites are #1 turkey wing and #2 pheasant or fowl wing. Tie it to a string to keep it from flying away!

Jerry Morris

#300030 - 08/17/07 01:46 PM Re: WHATS THE BEST CAT FLAGGING????? [Re: j morris]
Cattrax Online   content
trapper

Loc: Wy
This will get you, I use that yellow caution tape! See I'm trying to warn all those cats but they just dont seem to get it! lol Works well for me, the color stands out and when its cold and breezy it has some noise to it too.

#300036 - 08/17/07 01:48 PM Re: WHATS THE BEST CAT FLAGGING????? [Re: Cattrax]
160user Offline
trapper

Loc: MN
Here is a well kept secret................use one of the 4 million CD's that you get in the mail. They can be seen forever and really flash at night. Be sure to remove them and take them with you at the end of the season. This is the best flagging there is, period.

#300041 - 08/17/07 01:50 PM Re: WHATS THE BEST CAT FLAGGING????? [Re: 160user]
j morris Offline
trapper

160--- I use a lot of CD's especially towards the end when I am running out of wings. Not a problem with the feathers as the "pigeon guy" keeps me stocked up.

Jerry Morris

#300045 - 08/17/07 01:52 PM Re: WHATS THE BEST CAT FLAGGING????? [Re: j morris]
j morris Offline
trapper

Or another secret....... Get you a squeeker programmed with "Cat Scratch Fever". That get's um coming from miles....

Jerry Morris

#300046 - 08/17/07 01:52 PM Re: WHATS THE BEST CAT FLAGGING????? [Re: Cattrax]
Kansasbert Offline
trapper

Loc: Kansas
I like red christmas tinsle, it has lots of surface area and holds a lure well in additional to a great flagging. It doesnt take much wind to get the tinsle fluttering. I also have had good luck with the down feathers from geese and ducks. If the trap backing is say tall grass or maybe a plumb thicket or some other type of high brush near by I throw two or three handfulls of white down feathers into the air up wind of the brush or grass and let it scatter.

I often find similar natural examples of the down feathers scattered about while out hunting, trapping, fishing, or just scouting; where a hawk or coyote or some other preadtor has enjoyed a meal and left the feathered evidence behind.

Rob

#300050 - 08/17/07 01:54 PM Re: WHATS THE BEST CAT FLAGGING????? [Re: Kansasbert]
furkiller Offline
trapper

Loc: Louisiana
I always use plain white flagging tape. Works well but the wind can foul it up around a branch.

#300052 - 08/17/07 01:55 PM Re: WHATS THE BEST CAT FLAGGING????? [Re: j morris]
Nick C
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: jerry morris
160--- I use a lot of CD's especially towards the end when I am running out of wings. Not a problem with the feathers as the "pigeon guy" keeps me stocked up.

I KNOW a pigeon guy too!, But I have a feeling he wouldn't be kind of enough to let me have all their wings. \:\(

Edited by Nick C (08/17/07 01:58 PM)

#300057 - 08/17/07 01:56 PM Re: WHATS THE BEST CAT FLAGGING????? [Re: ]
160user Offline
trapper

Loc: MN
The squeekers aren't legal here in MN. I CD on a pice of fish line is tough to beat. It will spin and twirl with even the slightest breeze.

#300058 - 08/17/07 01:56 PM Re: WHATS THE BEST CAT FLAGGING????? [Re: ]
j morris Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: Andy Skwiat
Only problem with "White Feathers" is they are worthless once it snows. Can't see em at all.

I learned that the hard way! \:\(

Boy, don't remind me!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jerry Morris

#300069 - 08/17/07 02:00 PM Re: WHATS THE BEST CAT FLAGGING????? [Re: ]
Kansasbert Offline
trapper

Loc: Kansas
black canadian goose feathers when the snow is on

Rob

#300103 - 08/17/07 02:23 PM Re: WHATS THE BEST CAT FLAGGING????? [Re: trapperbill]
CharlesKS Offline

Loc: Kansas,32,6-1,220,B/B NS
i like to use those perriwinkle pinwheels.

#300113 - 08/17/07 02:29 PM Re: WHATS THE BEST CAT FLAGGING????? [Re: trapperbill]
CharlesKS Offline

Loc: Kansas,32,6-1,220,B/B NS
well crap Bill, not now, you just gave it away!

i just made something up, pulled it out of my rear.

#300130 - 08/17/07 02:45 PM Re: WHATS THE BEST CAT FLAGGING????? [Re: trapperbill]
boyswannatrap Offline
trapper

Loc: NY
You could set up a trapeze with a couple of little people..........What d'ya say Nick?

#300139 - 08/17/07 02:52 PM Re: WHATS THE BEST CAT FLAGGING????? [Re: trapperbill]
bulletbox Offline

Loc: Robert Lee, TEXAS
3 things I use are:

Red Christmas tree tensile - about 10 to 24 inches long, folded in the middle and tied with a piece of wire about 12 inches long, so I can put in in the backer any where I need it...

Red surveyors tape - about the same length...

A wad of poly fill about the size of a tennis ball, tied with wire in the middle, it sort of looks like a peanut, then tie that to another piece of wire so it swivels, then a 12 inch piece of wire to tie in the back... I sometimes add a piece of tensile or surveyors tape to the poly fill for flash.....

I like my attractor to be about 12 inches off the ground and at least 2 feet behind the trap....

The red color goes back to my Grandfather, he felt that cats were attracted to red... he would chase a red bird all over the country when cat trapping.....

bulletbox,
TEXAS

Even sheep are smart enough to shade up when it gets over 100....

#300144 - 08/17/07 02:57 PM Re: WHATS THE BEST CAT FLAGGING????? [Re: bulletbox]
Billfrank Offline
trapper

Loc: TEXAS
Hot pink surveyors tape tied off the ground, also go to Pilgrims Pride chicken processor and get garbage bags of feathers whenever I need them.

#300151 - 08/17/07 03:06 PM Re: WHATS THE BEST CAT FLAGGING????? [Re: bulletbox]
mike jerrell Offline
trapper

Loc: Mississippi

Before they were illegal here, I used many things,all of the above name work,my favorite though is a peice of trash bag or walmar sack bout 1 ft.long .Tie in the middle and hang by a wire so it dont tangle. Also have taken a beercan and wash it out. stick a wad of cotton or wool in the drinkin hole and saturate with good loud smellin lure,flatten can an stick a hole through the sides bout middle ways.Hole should be bout 1 incn. run a foot long strip of garbage bag through it so it sticks out both sides.suspend by wire and fishin swivel, can will spin and make a little noise,the weight og can keeps it from taglin and you got your lure in bottom.

#300184 - 08/17/07 03:30 PM Re: WHATS THE BEST CAT FLAGGING????? [Re: mike jerrell]
Billy Y Offline
trapper

Loc: South Central Kansas
I like to use white polyfill too.

I hang it around the set, up in the brush so if it snows it can still be visible.

I also use it under the pan of the trap instead of a cover.

Also like to hang Ted Nugent CD's \:\)

Edited by Billy Y (08/17/07 03:32 PM)
Edit Reason: uncle ted

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  tmrschessie