Water Trapping Archive

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Catalog~

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Stories of smart beaver [Re: goldy] #2999446
02/07/12 07:17 PM
02/07/12 07:17 PM
Central MN, sort of old
MnMan Offline
trapper
MnMan  Offline
trapper

Central MN, sort of old
I had one old female (beaver of course) give me fits for over three years on a small pond. When I first was asked to set it up there was a lot of activity there and my first few checks paid off pretty well but there was always some activity when the season ended so I knew I did not get them all. I even went in the winter and set under ice 330's and baited snares and after the sets no longer produced I would pull out. I would then return in the spring and set castor mounds with 330's and nothing... but still there was sign. I did not want to use footholds since there was a shallow shoreline and no good drowning situations. The next two falls I would catch one adult male beaver the first night and that would be it so I figured then I was catching the mate that would move in in the off season. I could never get the "last one." Under the ice I could clearly see a nice bank run with fresh bubbles but the second I put anything down there the activity ceased. Same with the lodge entrances (very deep). I finally rigged a trap (that I no longer use) on a drowner that was iffy on depth and used just a smear of mud with a drop or two of sac oil and found the trap snapped and down the drowner with nothing in it so that approach no longer worked after that. Now it was personal. I knew a blind set foothold had to be the answer since even the well- camouflaged snares had no action but the early ice in the fall made the foothold an iffy proposition at that time. I decided the following fall to use the long chain (10 ft.) on the MB750 and set for a hind foot and take my chances on a few faint trails leading from the water to where the cutting was taking place. Of course I caught a big male the first night and then nothing for a week but I left the traps there. Now there was up to 1/2 inch of ice over them every morning so when I checked I would break open the ice and hope it would not freeze up so soon overnight if we got warmer weather. I had finally decided that I would pull the traps and let her go until the following spring and when I walked up to the last trap there she was! She did not fight but simply submerged and tried to hide at my approach. She was only 50# (I was expecting much bigger). I actually did feel remorse on that one since the challenge was now over. I eventually discovered that there would be more like it (in other places) to follow......and there were! The landowner was pleased since there have not been any in there now for the past 3 years.

Since then I have had to resort to under ice snares in bank runs or den entrances on a couple and a deep water MB750 set off to the side of a small dam break for another tough one. I had one old male simply disappear after I hounded him for a year... if he moved out it is somewhere where I don't trap anyway.

Last edited by MnMan; 02/07/12 07:58 PM.

I'm just happy to be here! Today I'm as young as I'll ever be and and older than I've ever been before!
Re: Stories of smart beaver [Re: goldy] #2999735
02/07/12 08:56 PM
02/07/12 08:56 PM
Oakland, MS
Drifter Offline
trapper
Drifter  Offline
trapper

Oakland, MS
Had one dam up a small creek in a deep gully. By the time it backed up to where it became noticeable it was about 10 foot deep in spots. This didn't last long before it was shallow enough to see the bottom though. I made a castor mound and all activity stopped. Never saw any chew sticks or slick spots on the bank for over a week.

It rained then and the dam was repaired. So much for thinking had spooked it off. I back tracked to where it had cut the saplings to repair the dam and set a #4 dbl in the base of the crawl out. 2 days later had a toenail. Back to the waiting game for another week before any sign. This time around I found fresh muddy water ahead of me and followed it up. Found a den in the bank. Blocked it off and got a 330 to put infront of the hole and stabilized it real well.

Next morning checked it to find a hole dug out beside the 330 with about a foot of solid mud between the holes into the same den. Waiting game again then noticed was feeding on the roots in the edge of the high bank about a week later. The water was shallow enough it was walking on the bottom to fed on the roots. With all of my traps dyed black with logwood they stuck out like a sore thumb. Thinking back had heard about using a brown paper bag to keep silt from getting under the pan the light came on. Dug out a trap bed and put it into a brown paper sack. Sifted some silt upstream until it looked as good as could make it look below the feeding area it was using. 3 days later had my prize and one puzzle piece fell into place. A big bite mark on her hip from another beaver. Figured why was castor shy. Maybe 26 lbs so figured was Mama telling her was time to get out on her own. No idea how it had gotten that PHD in trapping other then my installment about cross overs and foot holds.

Drifter

Some individuals use statistics as a drunk man uses lamp-posts — for support rather than for illumination.

Andrew Lang (1844-1912) Scottish poet, novelist and literary critic

Life member NTA , and GA Trappers assoc .
Re: Stories of smart beaver [Re: goldy] #2999877
02/07/12 09:51 PM
02/07/12 09:51 PM
potter co. p.a.
P
pcr2 Offline
"Twerker"
pcr2  Offline
"Twerker"
P

potter co. p.a.
caught a big ole 50 pound beaver this year that's give me and others fits for years.both front feet gone and healed over,one back foot half gone further than i have ever seen,and about 27 hairs on it's belly.bad part of public land close to the road.township was being held up by game commission to repair the road.when the warden seen the beaver finally caught in a snare he said he thought it was a mercy killing and the township got to fix their road.

Re: Stories of smart beaver [Re: goldy] #2999926
02/07/12 10:15 PM
02/07/12 10:15 PM
Portage,Pa/ Morehead,KY
Payoter Offline
trapper
Payoter  Offline
trapper

Portage,Pa/ Morehead,KY
Im glad to hear that Im not the only one with a few strange beaver trapping tales. Just this year I was trapping a dam system or a series of dam that the beavers had made on a small stream. After making one dam they would continue downstream and make a new larger and deeper dam until they made a dam that was 200 yards long and close to 15 feet deep.At this location I was instructed to take out every beaver as they were washing out a county bike trail system. This wasnt a problem for me as I have trapped some deep dams before, I put in the norm cator mounds, bait sticks and a few 330's in the shallow channels within the first week I had got 5, two very large beaver and three small beaver. I figured that I had got rid of most of the beaver and thought that there might only be one or two more beaver. Anyway after two weeks of nothing I was going to pull the traps and say mission accomplished when after a fresh snow I noticed a fresh set of large beaver tracks and went back into kill mode. I followed the tracks to some fresh cuttings and chewings and then back into the water. I set a #3 on the spot were the beaver came up on land, coverd and figurd good. Next day trap is still set but a new set of tracks coming from a few feet away leading to the clump of birch that he chewed the day before. I left the trap in place and just figured he got alittle spooked from the activity. Next day same path was used again, and again I let the trap in is spot. Next day the same path was used this time I put in a foothold on a drownder no lure on the path the beaver had used thinking I would have him the next day. Next day the bugger came from the opposite side and chewed and returned to the water.I left the traps in place for another week with activity every night. Now completly frustrated I put in a trap on this slide. But before leaving I noticed a small crossover that the beaver was now making obvious but not being allowed to set up the dam in Pa I put in a snare 20 or so yards away through a opening between two trees on the edge of the water for a long shot. Next day and finally!!!!!!! the bugger was mine but not only 1 but 2 beaver were awaiting me? One in the snare and one in the original path leading to the clump of birch go figure one was a small male the other a large male and my advirsary he weighed in at 63 lbs

Last edited by Payoter; 02/07/12 10:18 PM.

trap hard, make good sets, dispatch clean, apologize to no one
Re: Stories of smart beaver [Re: goldy] #3000064
02/07/12 11:15 PM
02/07/12 11:15 PM
Laurel ms.
V
v.spradley Offline
trapper
v.spradley  Offline
trapper
V

Laurel ms.
I hope to have a happy ending to a "bad beaver" story soon. My partner and I set an ADC job a week ago last Friday. In eight days we had caught all the beaver so we started pulling traps. Not long into our trap removal we noticed a set of fresh tracks coming from a bank den and set the den hard to get her.We are now three days into an endevor that we may not win with a trap shy BIIIITCH beaver.
Wish us luck.She will make #10 out of one pond.

Last edited by v.spradley; 02/07/12 11:16 PM.
Re: Stories of smart beaver [Re: goldy] #3000626
02/08/12 10:31 AM
02/08/12 10:31 AM
Wisconsin
V
voyageurIW Offline
trapper
voyageurIW  Offline
trapper
V

Wisconsin
Originally Posted By: goldy
Come on, somebody has some stories.

Well... I can share. I was not planning on it since I am a noobie, but right now I am in a battle of wits with a colony of educated beaver. The farmer has had other guys in there and they have caught a couple in the last year or so (at least two colonies and a 1/4 mi. of creek entering the river), but they seem to have done more to educate them than anything. Lately, the trappers have given up on catching them... there loss, my gain. Anyway, the first two days, the beavers just snapped my leg holds on purpose and did as they pleased (creek near a river... open water... currently I am working on only one small spot). I have not used bodyholds as these guys are square-shy (and I don't have any anyway... yet). Three days ago I fenced in a serious bit of riverway and set snares on the best areas I thought the beavers would travel through. For S&Gs I also reverse built a popple bait pole like you would use under ice with snares. I posted it in with a fencepost and have the snares attached to the bottom instead of the top (since it isn't on ice). I then set a snare on ea. side with it just creeping above water line and mainly under. Anyway, yesterday morning I had one on the bait pole! It wrapped itself around the bottom of the pole after getting snared and drowned. I reset it, but last night things froze up. It looks like a beaver went through one of the pinch spot snares, but the top was in ice and the bottom of the snare just got pushed up. I dropped the snares all to just below the water/ice line and hope to catch them cruising under the ice now. With the current cold snap, there should be a nice layer of ice (enough to keep their heads down, but too little for me to walk on) for a week or so.

Re: Stories of smart beaver [Re: goldy] #3000685
02/08/12 11:28 AM
02/08/12 11:28 AM
Illinois
R
ratbrain Offline
trapper
ratbrain  Offline
trapper
R

Illinois
Not once....but twice this year on 2 of my beaver pemissions the landowners allowed other trappers to try to remove beavers....UNSUCCESSFULLY!!!
I even gave them a date when I would be out and they were OK with it. The one WANTED me to wait for a good freeze because the fields were too wet.
Wish me luck.

Last edited by ratbrain; 02/08/12 12:20 PM.
Re: Stories of smart beaver [Re: Payoter] #3000690
02/08/12 11:31 AM
02/08/12 11:31 AM
Oakland, MS
yotetrapper30 Offline
trapper
yotetrapper30  Offline
trapper

Oakland, MS
Originally Posted By: Payoter
Im glad to hear that Im not the only one with a few strange beaver trapping tales. Just this year I was trapping a dam system or a series of dam that the beavers had made on a small stream. After making one dam they would continue downstream and make a new larger and deeper dam until they made a dam that was 200 yards long and close to 15 feet deep.At this location I was instructed to take out every beaver as they were washing out a county bike trail system. This wasnt a problem for me as I have trapped some deep dams before, I put in the norm cator mounds, bait sticks and a few 330's in the shallow channels within the first week I had got 5, two very large beaver and three small beaver. I figured that I had got rid of most of the beaver and thought that there might only be one or two more beaver. Anyway after two weeks of nothing I was going to pull the traps and say mission accomplished when after a fresh snow I noticed a fresh set of large beaver tracks and went back into kill mode. I followed the tracks to some fresh cuttings and chewings and then back into the water. I set a #3 on the spot were the beaver came up on land, coverd and figurd good. Next day trap is still set but a new set of tracks coming from a few feet away leading to the clump of birch that he chewed the day before. I left the trap in place and just figured he got alittle spooked from the activity. Next day same path was used again, and again I let the trap in is spot. Next day the same path was used this time I put in a foothold on a drownder no lure on the path the beaver had used thinking I would have him the next day. Next day the bugger came from the opposite side and chewed and returned to the water.I left the traps in place for another week with activity every night. Now completly frustrated I put in a trap on this slide. But before leaving I noticed a small crossover that the beaver was now making obvious but not being allowed to set up the dam in Pa I put in a snare 20 or so yards away through a opening between two trees on the edge of the water for a long shot. Next day and finally!!!!!!! the bugger was mine but not only 1 but 2 beaver were awaiting me? One in the snare and one in the original path leading to the clump of birch go figure one was a small male the other a large male and my advirsary he weighed in at 63 lbs

So, which set caught the big one??

~~Proud Ultra MAGA~~
Re: Stories of smart beaver [Re: ratbrain] #3000695
02/08/12 11:34 AM
02/08/12 11:34 AM
Oakland, MS
yotetrapper30 Offline
trapper
yotetrapper30  Offline
trapper

Oakland, MS
Originally Posted By: ratbrain
Not once....but twice this year on 2 of my beaver pemissions the landowners allowed other trappers to try to remove beavers....UNSUCESSFULLY!!!
I even gave them a date when I would be out and they were OK with it. The one WANTED me to wait for a good freeze because the fields were too wet.
Wish me luck.

Think I'd be telling those farmers to enjoy their beaver!!!

~~Proud Ultra MAGA~~
Re: Stories of smart beaver [Re: goldy] #3000709
02/08/12 11:51 AM
02/08/12 11:51 AM
Portage,Pa/ Morehead,KY
Payoter Offline
trapper
Payoter  Offline
trapper

Portage,Pa/ Morehead,KY
The snare got the big one and the foothold had the little one. Since I got these two I have not seen any more sign and I put a tail cam overlooking the main intersection and have not had any beaver go by so I think I can now say mission accomplished and move on

trap hard, make good sets, dispatch clean, apologize to no one
Re: Stories of smart beaver [Re: goldy] #3000870
02/08/12 01:26 PM
02/08/12 01:26 PM
michigan-TC
T
Tich Offline
trapper
Tich  Offline
trapper
T

michigan-TC
I trapped a pond for 3 months trying to get one particular beaver. After catching two others I think he got smart. I was skiing 1 mile into the pond and setting 330's. Every check, every trap was fired with no beaver! so every time I went in I brought more traps. I tried foot holds, castor mounds, [Please excuse my language... I'm an idiot] crossings, runs, everything! Pretty soon there was more steel in the water than you can find at a gander mountain. After 3 months of checking in freezing temps I finally got him. I found where he climbed over the [Please excuse my language... I'm an idiot] in a very odd spot and I set a 330 at the top of the [Please excuse my language... I'm an idiot]. Of course It was fired with no beaver the first check. So I laid it flat with the waterline and I nailed him climbing over the [Please excuse my language... I'm an idiot] and trying to dive through the trap. The nice thing was there was so much steel in the water there was a nice otter in the real dam slide 10 feet away. I had to make several trips to pack everything all that crap out. I may not be good, but dang it I am freaking persistent!!!!!

Re: Stories of smart beaver [Re: goldy] #3000884
02/08/12 01:38 PM
02/08/12 01:38 PM
NC
Buzzard Offline
trapper
Buzzard  Offline
trapper

NC
Mr Goldy Sir,

I have one such beaver to deal with now..........he is square as well as scent shy, I looked at the sets this morning.

Mr Beaver went down a crossover, and into a channel just big enough for a 330 and a snare set/dive pole.....he gets out of the channel, walks around the sets and then back into the water.

Would love to set a foot hold on the dam but aint got the balls.........main intersection where folks love to walk in old high rent district of Burlington, the dam is 50 feet from the road and in plain site.

Gonna be fun.......lol

Re: Stories of smart beaver [Re: goldy] #3000909
02/08/12 01:51 PM
02/08/12 01:51 PM
minnesota
G
goldy Offline OP
trapper
goldy  Offline OP
trapper
G

minnesota
I was hoping you would chime in Buzz. You have to have a more than a few stories of beaver you've dealt with over the years.

"They that can give up essential liberty to gain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety" Ben Franklin talking about guns
Re: Stories of smart beaver [Re: goldy] #3000916
02/08/12 01:55 PM
02/08/12 01:55 PM
NC
Buzzard Offline
trapper
Buzzard  Offline
trapper

NC
I will add one a bit later........headin out to set more fox traps

Re: Stories of smart beaver [Re: goldy] #3000928
02/08/12 02:01 PM
02/08/12 02:01 PM
Morganton NC
R
Ryan NC Offline
trapper
Ryan NC  Offline
trapper
R

Morganton NC
you can't keep fox now.... o-wait that's Burke county of the west side of 77 on a week day... lol

Finally got my Beaver today! smile

Just a Dang Mountain Moron who says it's about time to get ready for fur season! smile

Ya can't fix stupid, not even with duct tape!
Re: Stories of smart beaver [Re: goldy] #3002419
02/08/12 11:52 PM
02/08/12 11:52 PM
minnesota
G
goldy Offline OP
trapper
goldy  Offline OP
trapper
G

minnesota
Any more?

"They that can give up essential liberty to gain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety" Ben Franklin talking about guns
Re: Stories of smart beaver [Re: goldy] #3003180
02/09/12 01:13 PM
02/09/12 01:13 PM
Ohio
D
Don Adams Offline
trapper
Don Adams  Offline
trapper
D

Ohio
I am currently working on one right now. Yesterday I had a tripped 330 and the H stand leaning back towards the middle of the creek. I seen deer tracks on the bank near the castor mound so I thought well maybe the deer were crossing the creek and when they jumped up on the bank they must have kicked the 330. This morning I found my castor mound worked but no beaver in the foot hold. The guide stick near the dog of the trap was gone and the castor mound covered up/destroyed. Large beaver tracks going up the bank just about 20 feet away. I am thinking I might have a square shy beaver as he is not working the 330's guarding castor mounds, but did somehow miss the foothold. I set the foothold back a little further as the push off mark on the bottom was back a little further even though I used my hand to elbow measurement. I may have to set some snares on crawl outs along the creek as the 330's just aren't working this year. Last year I took 7 off of this creek. Never had a snapped 330 last year, so maybe it witnessed last years carnage?

Last edited by Don Adams; 02/09/12 05:38 PM.
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Wolfdog91