Wilderness Trapping and Living

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Dobbins' Catalog~

Trading Post
(Please support Fur Country Lures, our sponsor for the Wilderness Forum)

Alaska Trappers Association

Page 8 of 16 < 1 2 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 15 16 >
Topic Options
Hop to:
#2933552 - 01/07/12 06:45 PM Re: FishinHank's 2011/2012 trapline journal [Re: FishinHank]
FishinHank Offline
trapper

Loc: PWS, AK
Got back from checking traps. Picked up a marten, a mink, and an ermine. No new wolverine sign. The mink got caught in a belisle 330. The first spot we checked had the ermine. I walked up to the set and could see that the trap was hanging and fired but there was nothing in it. Waded through the snow up to the tree and found the ermine dead in the snow. Its a nice white one.

The marten-

The mink-

Group shot-

#2943509 - 01/12/12 04:06 PM Re: FishinHank's 2011/2012 trapline journal [Re: FishinHank]
FishinHank Offline
trapper

Ran the line yesterday. The weather SUCKS!!! All of our wolverine sets were buried, even half the marten sets (flower pots 5' off the ground) are now under snow. We had a wolverine visit one of our set locations but both cubbies were buried. I am hoping for a good hard freeze so it sets the snow up. I got switched to the 4pm to 12am shift here at the hatchery, gotta plow 16hrs a day just to keep up. And it is still snowing.

#2943614 - 01/12/12 04:58 PM Re: FishinHank's 2011/2012 trapline journal [Re: FishinHank]
fishak10 Offline
trapper

Loc: Cordova,AK
I know what you mean everything i had is burried got it dug out today and reset some lynx action at a couple of my sets woulda had another one if traps were'nt burried looks like the snows going to stop soon good luck next check

#2943615 - 01/12/12 04:59 PM Re: FishinHank's 2011/2012 trapline journal [Re: FishinHank]
HFT AK Online   content
trapper

Loc: Wasilla AK
Nice looking marten you got there! Congrats on the prior check. Spent the past two days digging gear out, and of course it is snowing again! I thought I had it bad, I sunk my machine twice yesterday had to dig it out, but man it is hard to imagine having to deal with over 5 foot!

#2948083 - 01/14/12 08:03 PM Re: FishinHank's 2011/2012 trapline journal [Re: FishinHank]
FishinHank Offline
trapper

Ran the line today. No catches . Of course the cubbies they got into were later visited by wolverine. Had fresh tracks at 3 of our set locations. Crows put 2 of them out of commission.

Here is a picture of one of the 330's that was still set, a bucket baited with fish for otter.

Somehow the wolverine peed on top of the cubby right above the coni. Pretty aggravating. I am half tempted to go back to it tomorrow and bed a mb750 right in front.

My latest order (mostly snare supplies) is sitting in cordova waiting to come out so hopefully we get a flight soon.

Here is another spot that had tracks but the bucket was buried. Thought it made for a good picture.

We haven't seen any fresh marten sign for a couple of weeks now. Hopefully they will get out and get moving again. Ran across 3 river otters today also but couldn't get the hmr on them in time.

#2948256 - 01/14/12 09:06 PM Re: FishinHank's 2011/2012 trapline journal [Re: FishinHank]
Brother Dave Offline
trapper

Loc: SE Alaska
Cool pics!

#2955317 - 01/18/12 12:12 AM Re: FishinHank's 2011/2012 trapline journal [Re: FishinHank]
FishinHank Offline
trapper

I took a walk today to scope out some otter sign and set a few traps. Got a couple traps set and headed down the beach. Came to a pretty sweet spot but I don't know how I should set it up. Coni's over the holes themselves? Or trail sets? I am hoping that I can get some advice from you guys. Here are some pictures, there are trails all over the place in the area too but they aren't real defined with the snow being set up. They just go wherever they want pretty much.

Pics-

Saw a few deer too.

#2955341 - 01/18/12 12:49 AM Re: FishinHank's 2011/2012 trapline journal [Re: FishinHank]
Hupurest Offline
"Andy S wannabe"

Loc: Alaska
Holy crap. Right over the holes Hank. Those are money. Be sure to put sticks under the trap so that thy don't sink into or freeze to the snow. Pin em so they aren't wobbly spread the triggers out and cable it off to a good size drag.

That is the easiest otter set there is. Look fir other holes.

#2955343 - 01/18/12 12:50 AM Re: FishinHank's 2011/2012 trapline journal [Re: FishinHank]
Hupurest Offline
"Andy S wannabe"

Holy crap. Right over the holes Hank. Those are money. Be sure to put sticks under the trap so that thy don't sink into or freeze to the snow. Pin em so they aren't wobbly spread the triggers out and cable it off to a good size drag.

That is the easiest otter set there is. Look fir other holes.

#2955353 - 01/18/12 01:12 AM Re: FishinHank's 2011/2012 trapline journal [Re: FishinHank]
FishinHank Offline
trapper

Ok, I wasn't sure if they would spook if they came across a dead one in a hole. There are at least 3-4 holes in that spot with a few funnels where their trails meet in the trees. Going to set it all up either tomorrow or the next day. I have a bunch of 280's yet that I don't have set so I should be good. How many do you think are using the holes? Seems to be quite a few to me, but I haven't ever found anything like this before.

#2955365 - 01/18/12 01:22 AM Re: FishinHank's 2011/2012 trapline journal [Re: FishinHank]
Happy Birthday otterman Offline

Loc: SW Alaska
HAnk, hard to say how many are using the holes I have had some places like that I end up catching 0 at others up to 8 through a year. I do know that in my neck of the woods where all the water is frozen more than one family will use the same holes. I would put a coni on everyone and if short cover the ones that appear to have the most use. In your wet environment make sure you do like Hup says and put sticks under them if you lay them flat. In drier places it isn't always necessary. If laying flat on the snow you can lightly chop out a square for the jaws and a grove for the springs and that will stabilize them just fine.

#2955378 - 01/18/12 02:02 AM Re: FishinHank's 2011/2012 trapline journal [Re: FishinHank]
FishinHank Offline
trapper

These holes are all well above the high tide line, up in the trees. Not many trees right where the holes are though, I am going to have to do like Hup said and wire them off to drags. I think I have 8-10 280's/330's and a couple of mb750's so I should have plenty of traps to carpet bomb it. I did find out today that you can't run an MB750 with no pan tension, the trap wont stay set. Almost got my fingers when I let off the setters, it snapped right shut.

#2955876 - 01/18/12 11:09 AM Re: FishinHank's 2011/2012 trapline journal [Re: FishinHank]
alaska viking Offline
trapper

Loc: juneau, alaska
When using sticks under the coni's, be sure to not impede the jaws. And if you set footholds, chances are good the otter will be down in the hole when you come back. They will usually make for an interesting game of tug-of-war.

#2955877 - 01/18/12 11:09 AM Re: FishinHank's 2011/2012 trapline journal [Re: FishinHank]
Hupurest Offline
"Andy S wannabe"

be sure to use the sticks under the trap when you set it.

When it is sunny out, that dark trap will get a little warmer and melt and freeze... repeat... I ahve had problems with beaver and otter sets like that in the past, until the conibears got speed dipped white. now they don't do it...

carfeul walking around the holes too, I have fallen in the tunnels before.... and if you see some in the middle of a lake, that is because there is a warm spring under there that helps them keep it open, and you will more than liekly fall in there too grin

#2956089 - 01/18/12 12:59 PM Re: FishinHank's 2011/2012 trapline journal [Re: FishinHank]
FishinHank Offline
trapper

Will do, thanks for the advice guys!

#2956908 - 01/18/12 07:14 PM Re: FishinHank's 2011/2012 trapline journal [Re: FishinHank]
FishinHank Offline
trapper

Ran the main line today. Lots of fresh wolverine sign but no catches. The gulo highway has become a superhighway. One stuck its head in one of our cubbies but the springs were frozen in the snow and the trap didn't fire completely. Second time its happened at the same spot. Lesson learned. Saw a few deer too. I will upload some pics when I get off work tonight. Hopefully it warms up soon, I have stuff to make snares sitting in Cordova but its too cold for the planes to fly.

#2956955 - 01/18/12 07:32 PM Re: FishinHank's 2011/2012 trapline journal [Re: FishinHank]
onegunsmith Offline
trapper

Loc: Palmer AK
How cold is it there? Planes fly here in 40 below.

#2957165 - 01/18/12 08:40 PM Re: FishinHank's 2011/2012 trapline journal [Re: FishinHank]
FishinHank Offline
trapper

Its right at zero. I guess they were going to come yesterday but his steering was froze up. Its been windy too. Pretty much if the conditions aren't perfect they don't fly. Pretty frustrating.

#2957193 - 01/18/12 08:47 PM Re: FishinHank's 2011/2012 trapline journal [Re: FishinHank]
Top Jimmy Offline
"Assistant Speling Zcar"

Loc: Alaska, USA
I am guessing lots of moisture on the coast, so the ability to ice up while flying is much greater. Again, just a guess on my part.

-TJ

#2957287 - 01/18/12 09:11 PM Re: FishinHank's 2011/2012 trapline journal [Re: FishinHank]
Family Trapper Offline
trapper

Loc: Homer, Alaska
So have you set the white wolverine setup with any of those mb750's

Page 8 of 16 < 1 2 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 15 16 >