Wilderness Trapping and Living

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Dobbins' Catalog~

Trading Post
(Please support Fur Country Lures, our sponsor for the Wilderness Forum)

Alaska Trappers Association

Page 39 of 42 < 1 2 ... 37 38 39 40 41 42 >
Topic Options
Hop to:
#2922344 - 01/01/12 09:08 PM Re: My Canadian trapping journal **continued** 191095 [Re: countrysmith]
Happy Birthday countrysmith Offline
trapper

Loc: canada, manitoba
how busy can a guy in school be that you might not find time to trap a badger??
i have not trapped them for 15 years but i never had any problem back when i did

i always just put a coni over the hole

http://www.trapperman.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/2049655/1.html

#2922989 - 01/02/12 10:23 AM Re: My Canadian trapping journal **continued** 32487 [Re: countrysmith]
trapper

well fairly surprised to find this fisher today..
i have always believed we dont have stuff like this around here but i have heard rumors of a few trappers killing a few this year... very odd but there must be a reason they have moved into this area.
this was caught just a few hundred yards from the fisher from last year.
it was frozen down to the ice so i tried to chip it off but i broke some guard hairs off frown frown

i will post pics of the set later in the week

#2922995 - 01/02/12 10:26 AM Re: My Canadian trapping journal **continued** 32487 [Re: countrysmith]
snostorm@home Offline
trapper

Loc: manitoba, canada
I think it has to do with the forest fires and flooding that's why there around

#2923186 - 01/02/12 12:38 PM Re: My Canadian trapping journal **continued** 32487 [Re: countrysmith]
Arctic Trapper Offline
trapper

Loc: Los Anchorage
Nice fisher!!! What was the setup?

#2923299 - 01/02/12 01:50 PM Re: My Canadian trapping journal **continued** 32487 [Re: countrysmith]
smalltimetrapper Offline
trapper

Loc: Interior Alaska
Nice mittens, bet those are warm.

#2923501 - 01/02/12 03:48 PM Re: My Canadian trapping journal **continued** 32487 [Re: countrysmith]
snostorm@home Offline
trapper

he probly got it in a bucket set right?

for people who dont know this we are not supposed to have fishers in our areas and we dont know why we have them all of a sudden. so we are really excited when we catch them just so everybody knows.

#2924448 - 01/02/12 09:15 PM Re: My Canadian trapping journal **continued** 32487 [Re: countrysmith]
trapper

it was a really stupid set.. i was home for the weekend and was itching to set some traps.. so i took some 5 gal pails and set them with cans of sardines.. but the cans had been in the trailer for to long and froze solid, so i took a stick and stabbed the can just enough to expose some frozen fish.. thats it.. zero lure or anything..
i also found some fresh dirt from a badger hole so i used lots of that around my boxes for eye appeal, any chance i get to mess the area up around a bucket to make critters notice it more always helps. biggest mistake was we have had hardly any snow this year and the set was on a small creek bottom so the fisher froze down to the ice. i chipped it off the best i could but did loose some guard hairs.

i ended up selling it to my dad he plans on putting it on the wall

#2924459 - 01/02/12 09:18 PM Re: My Canadian trapping journal **continued** 32487 [Re: snostorm@home]
trapper

Originally Posted By: snostorm@home
I think it has to do with the forest fires and flooding that's why there around

i sure would like to know why we are getting so many fisher now??
not that i care but its important to know why...

next thing we will hear is people saying the dnr is letting them go to control the deer.... wack jobs

#2924612 - 01/02/12 10:14 PM Re: My Canadian trapping journal **continued** 32487 [Re: countrysmith]
snostorm@home Offline
trapper

that fisher should look good on your dads wall
I had the same problem with the raccoon freezing down to the ice so chopped away for a long time didnt save every gaurd hair but tried my best

#2925469 - 01/03/12 02:46 PM Re: My Canadian trapping journal **continued** 32487 [Re: countrysmith]
trapper

checking traps today before work on the same land as yesterday.. and....... another fisher..
also a ermine.. no clue how a ermine sets off a trap like that??? talk about stupid
same way it was set yesterday.. no lure or anything just the frozen fish..
the farm i am trapping is very small, it has one creek that dries up early in the summer.
most places the trees are just 25yds wide from each bank.
how can two male fisher live so close on such a small yard

the trap that got the ermine was set just like this also???????? wow stupid... must have been trying to pole dance on the trigger wires

Edited by countrysmith (01/03/12 02:50 PM)

#2925519 - 01/03/12 03:36 PM Re: My Canadian trapping journal **continued** 32487 [Re: countrysmith]
TheFurTrapper Offline
trapper

Loc: Manitoba, Canada
Countrysmith - did he perhaps try and pull the bait out of the pail?

Caught a weasel in a 330 last winter, tried to pull a big hunk of beaver out backwards and wack. Triggers on the bottom how ever.

#2925644 - 01/03/12 04:30 PM Re: My Canadian trapping journal **continued** 32487 [Re: countrysmith]
trapper

nope never even touched the bait

#2925794 - 01/03/12 05:36 PM Re: My Canadian trapping journal **continued** 32487 [Re: countrysmith]
snostorm@home Offline
trapper

weird weird weird you catching all males all passing through probably are we getting lucky whats going on

#2941281 - 01/11/12 04:28 PM Re: My Canadian trapping journal **continued** 32487 [Re: countrysmith]
trapper

someone who knows more about fisher can you help me out?
got this coon in a bucket and it is missing its face..
this area has never been known as prime fisher land but i got two fisher in two days last week. not i got this coon and it has its face gone.. and only the face..
we also got snow today so i cant see any tracks..
i plan to skin it out quickly then set the head in the bucket looking out as bait for what i think might be a fisher...

any advise??

#2942039 - 01/11/12 08:39 PM Re: My Canadian trapping journal **continued** 32487 [Re: countrysmith]
snostorm@home Offline
trapper

could be a fisher
but anything that was hungry could have ate that
I have had squirrels do that to

#2942317 - 01/11/12 10:24 PM Re: My Canadian trapping journal **continued** 32487 [Re: countrysmith]
TheFurTrapper Offline
trapper

Loc: Manitoba, Canada
Well, had this happend with the back of the head and the rear end.

Coon was ruined, so I hung it out for bait. The only thing that touched it was a few small birds. Seems nothing like raccoon meat out there.

The culprate that did that too my coon was not a fisher, it was a coyote, and it's lucky the trap was cabled to a tree otherwise I still wouldn't have found either one!

But I suppose it could be fisher.

#2942523 - 01/12/12 01:24 AM Re: My Canadian trapping journal **continued** 32487 [Re: countrysmith]
donkeywink Offline
trapper

Loc: Central British Columbia
I have found where an owl will do that..just eat the face.

#2952579 - 01/16/12 07:47 PM Re: My Canadian trapping journal **continued** 32487 [Re: countrysmith]
trapper

this year we have a new and improved cab built by snowstorms dad.. he did a great job, and yes we tested it on the biggest trees we could find..... smash crash bang smile

i have some main goals for the year and one of them is to learn how to trap otter. so we took to a small creek with the argo and it did great. but wow when your mom yelled to stay off the ice she was right.. the water level had dropped and we broke thru the ice many times, and i know having a quad would have sucked.... a snowmobile might have worked as you could maybe just gun it to get out but sometimes a huge area would all fall all around us.. its fairly scary to hear a smash and you drop 16" and are now floating in the creek.. we almost always drove out but a few times around beaver dams we got high centered in beaver runs and had to use the winch... anyone reading this please remember to be on red alert around anything beaver made.. ie dams, lodges or channels..

the scary thing about when your using tracks with the argo is it has less ft/lb per sq/" then your feet so if the argo does not fall thru the ice that does not mean you wont when you get out of it as i found out...

i found some great otter sign but the pics dont seem to show it that well... the glare of the snow makes the pics turn out bad.

this was the first time setting for otter so i really dont know how well i did

i set about 12 traps for otter all on good sign so i hope things look good next time i see my traps

i have a friend in a town close to where i was trapping and he opened a lodge so we took advantage of it for the night .

also found time to set some mink, fisher and marten sets but never took any pics of that.. i will go back this week and see what the critters can teach me

Edited by countrysmith (01/16/12 07:51 PM)

#2952611 - 01/16/12 07:59 PM Re: My Canadian trapping journal **continued** 32487 [Re: countrysmith]
scootermac Offline
trapper

Loc: Northern Manitoba
Set right over top of there holes were they come out on to the ice. Your traps will be full in no time.

#2952643 - 01/16/12 08:09 PM Re: My Canadian trapping journal **continued** 32487 [Re: countrysmith]
trapper

thats what i was doing.. also runways.. any other advice??

what size would you set??

i was using grass to keep the trap from freezing down and laying some grass over the trap to keep the snow off

Page 39 of 42 < 1 2 ... 37 38 39 40 41 42 >