Land Trapping Archive

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Catalog~

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Hop to:
#2902537 - 12/22/11 02:36 PM Bobcat - Exposed Set pan cover (pics)
3's THE LIMIT Offline
trapper

Loc: West Virginia
I don't really share much on this site because there are much more knowledgable people on here than myself therefore i usually just lurk and learn. Thanks to all who contribute their time and knowledge to lesser experienced trappers like me. First I have to be honest because i truly cant tell you whether this is something i saw on this site or is something i just came up with but none the less, even if it was my own, the idea was spurred from learning from the exposed set cat trapers on here. But last year was my first year using an exposed set and i had success with it. I haven't laid a trap in the ground yet this year but when i do this week then maybe i will have a pic of the set so anyway here are my pan covers. Hope it helps. Also the reason why i like this method so much is because i dont own a pile of traps and many of my traps are used for multiple species as needed so i dont want a permanent cover or some kind of epoxy fixed on my trap pan.

First it must be noted that you will have to make different size covers for different size pans but the one in this first pic is for an MB550. First you go to walmart or some other store that sells "pilates exercise mats" (you know, the one like your wife has rolled up in the corner next to her TAE-BO tapes that she never uses, and trust me dont cut up her pilates pad no matter how little she uses it; GO BUY YOUR OWN) and through a little trial and error i come up with a template that i know will work on my trap pan and i cut many of this pattern out of the pilates pad. The pilates pad is nice and soft to work with but not so flexible that when it is finished it is floppy. Staple together two pieces of the precut and premeasured pilates pads from the mat. The tricky thing is you may have to make a couple and scrap them before you actually get the desired size according to your pan size and jaw spread. But here is a finised pad stapled together.

In this photo you will notice the slot for sliding over the pan.

Once you have gotten this far the next step is to get a caulking gun with some earthy colored caulking loaded into it. I use almond colored but i imagine that clear would work too. What you will do is put the caulking on one side of the pad and use your finger to smear a liberal amount over the entire one side of the pad. It is possible to get too much on there, of course, but you will know if you used too much or too little when you do the next couple of steps.

Next i will take some fine dry dirt and sprinkle a thin covering over top to give it a natural colored base. Next i will take the pad and smash it (caulking side down) into some previously collected fine rocks. You can choose whatever rocks you want but i have found that the finer the rocks the better coverage you get on the pad. Because after you smash it into the fine rocks you will turn it over and notice a few spots that may appear white (or almond) because you did not get coverage in this area. So the last step i will do is take another small handful of previously collected dry soil and sprinkle it over the pad paying particular attention to the areas that don't look natural. Here is a picture of a jar of dry dirt that i collected and a shoe box full of fine rocks.

After this you simply let them dry. You will find that the caulking will smell for a few days so i would give them ample amount of time to dry out. Although last year i made them and the next day put them in a ziploc bag and didn't realize til i went to set them that they smelled overly strong but the cats didn't seem to mind at all. Plus a few days or so outside will really diminish the smell to almost nothing; at least to the human nose that is, lol. So anyway here is some finished pan covers. The smaller size fits my MB550's and the larger size fits both MB650's and my Bridger #3's.

MB550

MB650 and Bridger #3

Of course i have no business telling someone how to set their steel but i will share with you how i do mine. First i will find some good backing where a cat is traveling. My intent will either be a walk through or a dirt hole. I dig out the trap bed and place the trap in and bed it up as solid as possible. But i do not pack soil inside of the jaws. Most of the time when i set the trap i will leave the pan in an extreme upward postion which makes it easier to slide on the pan cover. then i will use a stick (for safety purposes of course - last year it was quite time consuming and painful trying to remove a bridger #3-4 coiled from my hand but i usually do it once a year and i'm sure i got one coming this year) to push it down to the night latch until i hear the click. Then i will take leaves from around the set and lay them over top of the trap jaws but under the pan. Also in Charles Dobbins' book, Land Sets and Trapping Techniques he has a section where he covers a method of using wooden dowell rods on the four corners of the trap jaws to help stabilize it. I have found this to be very helpful considering i only pack dirt on the outside of my jaws. And, yes, of course you block the crap out of the set. So when the cat appraches and is looking for the most inviting area to strategically place his next front pad he sees a nice soft looking little gravely area right in the center of the trap jaws that is slightly larger than his paw. Final step......... dispatch the animal and reset. Which reminds me i always use this set with a drag so when i dispatch the animal i simply pull the drag/log back over to the set and bed the trap in the same exact spot. Saves time and effort. Also dependiing on the drag you use, a good sized log (about the size of your calf) can be used as a place to deposit scent for you walk throught. So in other words your drag becomes you backing/scent post.

Once again i honestly don't recall if i saw some variation of this on the threads one day or if i actually came up with this. None the less i couldn't take any credit for it anyway because even if it was my own the idea was surely spawned from T-man anyhow. But i just though it may help someone. I wish i had known about exposed sets 3 or 4 years ago. So i want to say thanks to all those who submit good informational posts on T-man and who take the time to post pictures along with them. I can honestly say, like so many others already have said, that i have gained the majority of my trapping knowledge from Trapperman's "Trapper Talk" forum and the archived threads. And lastly i would like to say God Bless everyone on Trapperman and have a Merry Christmas!

#2902558 - 12/22/11 02:50 PM Re: Exposed Set pan cover (pics) [Re: 3's THE LIMIT]
southernduke84 Offline
trapper

Loc: North Central Pa.
looks good.

#2902567 - 12/22/11 02:55 PM Re: Exposed Set pan cover (pics) [Re: 3's THE LIMIT]
TrapperMikeNC Offline
trapper

Loc: NC,Wataga county
Good informitive post thanks for sharing

#2902569 - 12/22/11 02:56 PM Re: Exposed Set pan cover (pics) [Re: TrapperMikeNC]
barbwire Offline
trapper

Loc: eastern WV
Nice post!
I might have to try that

Thanks

#2902683 - 12/22/11 04:21 PM Re: Exposed Set pan cover (pics) [Re: 3's THE LIMIT]
catfishsr Offline
trapper

Loc: N.E Mo
Thanks for sharing.

Member NTA and MTA

#2902728 - 12/22/11 04:40 PM Re: Exposed Set pan cover (pics) [Re: 3's THE LIMIT]
Bobcat77 Offline
trapper

Loc: Nebraska
Have you ever watched Steve Woods wonderful Bobcat trapping DVD's??

#2902740 - 12/22/11 04:43 PM Re: Exposed Set pan cover (pics) [Re: 3's THE LIMIT]
3's THE LIMIT Offline
trapper

Nope. Never seen a bobcat trappin video. Should i get them?

#2902747 - 12/22/11 04:44 PM Re: Exposed Set pan cover (pics) [Re: 3's THE LIMIT]
3's THE LIMIT Offline
trapper

did watch one of al sullivan's yote trappin videos one time. had some good info in it. That is where i discovered night latching.

#2902749 - 12/22/11 04:45 PM Re: Exposed Set pan cover (pics) [Re: 3's THE LIMIT]
Bobcat77 Offline
trapper

Loc: Nebraska
He covered this topic in one of his DVD's 3 or 4 years ago I believe.

Yes, if you want to be a better cat trapper Steve Woods DVD's are priceless! You should get them.

#2902756 - 12/22/11 04:46 PM Re: Exposed Set pan cover (pics) [Re: 3's THE LIMIT]
3's THE LIMIT Offline
trapper

I will look into this. Thanks for the info Hain

#2902983 - 12/22/11 06:04 PM Re: Exposed Set pan cover (pics) [Re: 3's THE LIMIT]
stitchit Offline
trapper

Loc: michigan
Seems like it would work on Coyotes and Fox as well?

Edited by stitchit (12/22/11 06:04 PM)

#2903595 - 12/22/11 10:03 PM Re: Exposed Set pan cover (pics) [Re: 3's THE LIMIT]
Skull Cleaner Offline
trapper

Loc: Purgitsville, WV
I was just trying to remember the other day how you made those things last year! Looks like I have all the info I need right here. Looks good bud. I think maybe perfected a bit from last year too. Since my wife dont have a pilates mat "that I know would never get used" I geuss I'll have to go buy one.. Finaly getting a chance to lay some steel myself this week. I hope with better sucess than last year. Good post and a Merry Christmas to you and yours aswell..

#2903637 - 12/22/11 10:20 PM Re: Exposed Set pan cover (pics) [Re: Skull Cleaner]
Cattrax Offline
trapper

Loc: Wy
Yep looks just like what Steve Wood did in his video bobCATching, there is several using this now, and it works.

#2903821 - 12/23/11 12:52 AM Re: Exposed Set pan cover (pics) [Re: 3's THE LIMIT]
Possumslayer Offline
trapper

Loc: South Central Nebraska
Do they get tore up after a catch? Just curious how durable they are.

Brevior saltare cum deformibus mulieribus est vita

#2903978 - 12/23/11 07:01 AM Re: Exposed Set pan cover (pics) [Re: 3's THE LIMIT]
stitchit Offline
trapper

So, I take it that this would sit "just" exposed on the pan/finished set? I think this is a great idea worth trying! I have a canvas shop and can whip up a few in no time. Then I got to thinking, what if these were "snapped" on with marine fasteners? Like the ones used on boat covers?

It would be a bit higher tho, hmmmmm. Interesting. Thanks so much 3! I believe I'll end up with your's tho, lol.

#2905570 - 12/23/11 09:40 PM Re: Exposed Set pan cover (pics) [Re: 3's THE LIMIT]
3's THE LIMIT Offline
trapper

Possum the answer is yes they do get messed up but I believe this could be fixed. The weakest point in mine is the staples because I always use small staples cause thats what I find laying around the house. If you got something more heavy duty I'm sure it would do better. If your wife has an old sewing machine with thick thread that would probably work too. Many improvements could be made to this design I'm sure. But Possum the pan covers are actually just slid over the pan so they will also slide off just as easy. I guess the final word is that these r so easy to make I just whip up extras and don't worry about ruining one.

#2905575 - 12/23/11 09:43 PM Re: Exposed Set pan cover (pics) [Re: 3's THE LIMIT]
stitchit Offline
trapper

3- have you tried simply putting those stones and onto the pan itself?

#2906249 - 12/24/11 11:39 AM Re: Exposed Set pan cover (pics) [Re: 3's THE LIMIT]
3's THE LIMIT Offline
trapper

Well i wanted to stay away from permenantly modifying a trap pan so that i could only be used for one species (cats). But i have seen others on this site suggest that and some that do it but i like being able to take them on and off.

#2906327 - 12/24/11 12:40 PM Re: Exposed Set pan cover (pics) [Re: 3's THE LIMIT]
Skull Cleaner Offline
trapper

Loc: Purgitsville, WV
Slapped a couple together this morn before I hit the woods. I used a glue gun and tool drawer matting since I had a roll of it laying around. Looks great! They are on the pans so now lets see if they will be on the bottom pad of a nice cat in the morning...

#2906360 - 12/24/11 01:15 PM Re: Exposed Set pan cover (pics) [Re: 3's THE LIMIT]
stitchit Offline
trapper

Thanks 3! Makes sense.

Skull, keep us posted!!

#2906369 - 12/24/11 01:30 PM Re: Exposed Set pan cover (pics) [Re: 3's THE LIMIT]
3's THE LIMIT Offline
trapper

Well skull i wouldnt be suprised if you nail a cat before i even get any steel in the ground. May make me a bit jealous too. On a good note i just acquired about 350 acres to trap that is literally about 3 minutes down the road from the house. The guy is a deer hunter and hates preadators and showed me a trail cam pic from a few weeks ago of a beatifully spotted cat. Also showed me some pics of some larg predatory birds on a carcass pile and said, "I aint got no love for them either." And i said, "Sorry, cant help you there." lol

#2906389 - 12/24/11 01:47 PM Re: Exposed Set pan cover (pics) [Re: 3's THE LIMIT]
On a Call Offline
trapper

Loc: S/E Mich - N/W Ohio
Yes great idea.

Yes keep us posted.

I never saw or read about this...but then I am not after too many cats.

Wonderfull addition to our archives.

Last but not least...share some photos of your set and catch smile

#2909198 - 12/26/11 11:42 AM Re: Exposed Set pan cover (pics) [Re: 3's THE LIMIT]
3's THE LIMIT Offline
trapper

My son has been sick with an infection so i haven't had the chance to lay any steel yet but when i get out i will post.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  tmrschessie