Wilderness Trapping and Living

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar

Photo Gallery~Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulator Forum

~Dobbins' Catalog~

Alaska Trappers Association

Page 6 of 11 < 1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 10 11 >
Topic Options
Hop to:
#2887878 - 12/15/11 12:09 PM Re: Where to go with a square stern? [Re: yukontrapper]
takotna Offline
trapper

Loc: Takotna AK
Originally Posted By: yukontrapper
Here is how i mount a soft case on my bravo. Mini-14 inside and an extra mag in the pocket. Pistol stays on me. Seems to work so far.

Wow, I need to do that! I actually strapped my .500 S&W on the other day cause of all the snow we've got and moose not wanting to leave the trail, barely a mile out of town I found myself hiding behind my bait box in the dark and a cow moose stomping the crap out of the trail between my skis, don't know if she saw me with the light shining in her eyes but she was going to die if she touched the machine, took a couple min for her to finally leave but seemed forever.

#2888419 - 12/15/11 05:08 PM Re: Where to go with a square stern? [Re: Aknative]
Aknative Offline
trapper

Loc: Fairbanks AK
I think ottermans PVC scabbard is in the snomachine archives in the link posted at the top of the wilderness forum. Click on the link, go to the second page, and look through the snowmachine thread/archive. Other good info there as well.

#2888441 - 12/15/11 05:18 PM Re: Where to go with a square stern? [Re: Aknative]
Hupurest Online   content
"Andy S wannabe"

Loc: Alaska
heck takotna,
if you do that, then mount it square through so you can shoot at wolves in the trail and laydown some ground fire on them hostile moose.

#2889466 - 12/16/11 01:09 AM Re: Where to go with a square stern? [Re: Aknative]
yukontrapper Offline
trapper

Loc: Galena Alaska USA
Aknative, it is scoped. Most all my firearms are scoped. Case of Bad Eyes. I can't focus on sights with contacts or glasses...i had good luck with ghost ring sights though. With the rifle in the case it fits snug to the windshield. Enough pressure to hold it in place. My dad has two lines open so i been helping him on his. The west line hasn't had a trail put in yet. But with the snow amounts every other few days i haven't even been out yet. But pops got 55 marten, 7 lynx and a Dark WOlverine. So i been busy enough helping him out when i am off from work... the brav's hasn't got a chance in all the snow we got here and not to mention the overflow. So maybe towards january i can try get out and lay out some iron.
Takotna, it works great i hate carrying a rifle slung on the back...but yea a cow moose can get ya busy in a hurry. Hate it when they enjoy my trails as much as i do!!! How do you like your .500? I was thinkin bout hanging up the .44 SBH and maybe tryin to get the .460 before bear baiting season. Make sure your case is slid far enough ahead for steering and clear of your knees when moving around on the bravo. Luck on the Line guys.

Edited by yukontrapper (12/16/11 01:12 AM)
Edit Reason: re-spell words

#2889525 - 12/16/11 04:31 AM Re: Where to go with a square stern? [Re: Aknative]
Aknative Offline
trapper

What kind of scope and how is it mounted? I'm an iron sights kind of guy, but missed out on my first moose season before last because it was just outside my non-scoped comfort range. And then this past season a nice 3 year old pops up within a hundred yards and I couldn't take the shot from the canoe due the scope! Hit the stable beach and now have meat. I would love a mounting system that would allow me to use either sight system, but I understand there are some issues that can arise from that. Any experience with these would be appreciated. Hope you and your dad have a safe and productive season!

#2891004 - 12/16/11 07:48 PM Re: Where to go with a square stern? [Re: Aknative]
otterman Offline

Loc: SW Alaska
Aknative, I had a scope on raised rings so I could see the open sights once never again. On a large caliber the scope moved with every shot. Cost me a bull elk at under 100 yards one day!

#2891016 - 12/16/11 07:53 PM Re: Where to go with a square stern? [Re: Aknative]
Pittu Offline
trapper

Loc: Alaska
YT, your setup is IDENTICAL to mine...Green Bravo, soft case thru windshield on the right side, and a machete on the left. The ropealong is tied in along the side of the back rack...I like the boat cushion idea. My seat is cracked where I kneel on the seat and gets to hurting after a while...

#2891587 - 12/17/11 12:56 AM Re: Where to go with a square stern? [Re: Aknative]
Aknative Offline
trapper

Shame about the elk Otterman. Maybe I'll just have to live with one or the other, iron or glass.

#2893836 - 12/18/11 12:18 PM Re: Where to go with a square stern? [Re: Aknative]
yukontrapper Offline
trapper

Aknative, i have factory ruger rings and a leupold 2x7x33 on her. I had a nikon prostaff on it for quite a few years but decided to switch this winter. I hang it over the handle bars on the 440LT i used to have for quite a few winters and it always held zero. I have no experience with over under sights. But i know of people who used A&W Quick Disconnect Scope set up and had good luck. Thats cool Pittu, what are the chances almost two identical setup! lol Oh yea Aknative, i lost a chance on a good size bull, i was in the grumman canoe...How the bleep do ya shoot outta a canoe lol. Mayeb partly why i don'r use it for hunting...[Please excuse my language... I'm an idiot] near flipped the thing :-)

#2893869 - 12/18/11 12:45 PM Re: Where to go with a square stern? [Re: Aknative]
white17 Offline

"General (Mr.Sunshine) Washington"

Loc: McGrath, AK
You just have to learn to shoot sitting down. How about rats? Didn't you ever shoot rats from a canoe? Some of the best fun you can have

#2895010 - 12/18/11 09:35 PM Re: Where to go with a square stern? [Re: Aknative]
Aknative Offline
trapper

I didn't shoot from the canoe! I was so jacked that I couldn't keep steady, had to hit the beach and the bull only walked a few feet. Even on land I missed the first shot due to buck fever. Second knocked to his knees and stumbled a few feet and keeled over. I expect I'll be calmer and able to peg the next from the canoe if that's where I see it from. And I still need to get on the muskrat hunting white! I know I'm missing out on something there!

#2895014 - 12/18/11 09:38 PM Re: Where to go with a square stern? [Re: Aknative]
white17 Offline

"General (Mr.Sunshine) Washington"

Loc: McGrath, AK
You will eventually want to learn to call the moose right into the canoe and then shoot him.

#2908662 - 12/25/11 09:19 PM Re: Where to go with a square stern? [Re: Aknative]
Aknative Offline
trapper

Firstly, Merry Christmas everybody! Secondly, get well White! Thirdly, was reminded of what real snow machining was yesterday. Ran both our lines with Cachecreekkid yesterday. Mine is like groomed trail compared to some parts of his! steep side hills, narrow trails, fun stuff! Neither of us had anything, been a dry year for him I guess ( but one if my better ones!). We even tried to break some fresh trail, but due to time constraints threw in that towel fairly quick...that's what I'll tell myself any way. My family's having a good Christmas, hope you all have the same!

#2912961 - 12/28/11 10:31 AM Re: Where to go with a square stern? [Re: Aknative]
yukontrapper Offline
trapper

Merry Xmas and Happy New year Aknative, Luck on the line.

#2913534 - 12/28/11 05:01 PM Re: Where to go with a square stern? [Re: Aknative]
Aknative Offline
trapper

Thanks Yukon! You as well and happy new year!

#2932192 - 01/06/12 11:31 PM Re: Where to go with a square stern? [Re: Aknative]
yukontrapper Offline
trapper

Hows it going out in your neck of the woods? We are sitting at -46 below and the other day my buddy said a pack of dogs is running west of the place i always set up! So soon as it warms up i wanna track their trail in snow shoes and find a place for a gang set, never really got out much this year but want to get out for them through spring.

#2932212 - 01/07/12 12:08 AM Re: Where to go with a square stern? [Re: Aknative]
Aknative Offline
trapper

Been slow....better for me than last year though! 1 marten and 1 lynx. Has been really cold, down to 45 below, but has warmed up to mid twenties below. Will be running the line tomorrow. Probably bring the snow shoes to put in a couple loops, but I been saying that all year!

#2957861 - 01/19/12 03:41 AM Re: Where to go with a square stern? [Re: Aknative]
yukontrapper Offline
trapper

Ya been out on your line lately? I been riding my dads when i get the time. Not much time to get my line in with work in the way. So helping my dad and keping up to date on other folks lines. But the big push for wolves is coming this spring. I have a few wolf traps out on the northwest line and want to add some more sometime. Should be fun. I want to make a rear cargo box sometime so i can carry 4 wolf traps. 3-4dzn snares. And my survival gear, leave the sled home through spring.

#2957869 - 01/19/12 04:08 AM Re: Where to go with a square stern? [Re: Aknative]
Aknative Offline
trapper

Had some bad stuff happen with the house and vehicles this weekend because of the cold, all taken care of now, but didn't make it out on the line this weekend. Haven't seen any new tracks for weeks, so I dropped down to one check a week, and couldn't make it this past weekend, so I have to go this coming weekend. Hoping it will be warmer, but I got to go out regardless. Thanks for watch YT, hopefully I'll have something to show after the weekend! How's your dads line doing? Good luck with the wolves man! Hoping to get into them in the future, just need to make time!

#2957875 - 01/19/12 04:24 AM Re: Where to go with a square stern? [Re: Aknative]
yukontrapper Offline
trapper

Well thats good ya got things fixed back up. Fairly smooth sailing here but stuck at work for over a month...then the cold weather kept me home more this winter. My dads lines are rockin. He has two lines he operates. He jus went to Fairbanks and did good on his sales. I am jus hoping i can scrape up the rest of the season and hit the west line. Not lookin to good, end of this month i got some medical stuff coming up so have to wait and see. May jus play with the wolves and try get some winter logging done. I want to make a small shop this summer. For the sled/car and atv. Winter is wreaking [Please excuse my language... I'm an idiot] on my vehicles. Luck on the next check this weekend, my dad is going to overlook my sets tomorrow so hoping for some action.

Edited by yukontrapper (01/19/12 04:28 AM)

Page 6 of 11 < 1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 10 11 >