Land Trapping Archive

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Catalog~

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Hop to:
#2868961 - 12/05/11 12:49 PM Fisher - Foothold on leaning pole??
Furback Offline
trapper

Loc: Pa. Jefferson county
In Pa. we can't use body grips on land,,soooo I was wondering if I could use footholds on leaning poles for Fisher?? Let me clarify,, would footholds on leaning poles be effective??

#2868991 - 12/05/11 01:22 PM Re: Foothold on leaning pole?? [Re: Furback]
decoy Offline
trapper

Loc: north Idaho
Yes!

#2869046 - 12/05/11 02:04 PM Re: Foothold on leaning pole?? [Re: Furback]
Dale Torma Offline
trapper

Loc: Northern MN
1 1/2 coils work well on leaning poles for fisher, you have to tie the trap to the pole so it will pull free. I have chopped a flat spot to set the trap then lightly tied it with wire or tape and tie the chain well. extra swivels would be good and try to make it so the animal cant get ahold of something when it jumps or falls off the pole.

#2869047 - 12/05/11 02:04 PM Re: Foothold on leaning pole?? [Re: Furback]
Furback Offline
trapper

Wow! That's when you say " a picture speaks a thousand words". Sure enough can't get a better answer than that! So It'll be footholds on leaning poles for me. Our season for Fisher here in PA. comes in on Dec.17 and goes out Dec.22,, only 6 days,, and your only allowed one w/permit and only in certain areas. Thanks much for that picture. Happy Holidays!! ,,Also, Thanks Dale T, for your advice,, I feel like I know what I'm doing now.

Edited by Furback (12/05/11 02:24 PM)

#2869087 - 12/05/11 02:32 PM Re: Foothold on leaning pole?? [Re: Furback]
Snuffy Offline
trapper

Loc: Western Pa
OK, so how high off of the ground do you put the bait? And what prevents the fisher from climbing the tree the pole is leaning on, instead of the pole? Do you set a trap on the pole on BOTH sides (above and below the bait)?

I want to use this set too. Help a dummy out!

#2869145 - 12/05/11 03:11 PM Re: Foothold on leaning pole?? [Re: Furback]
white17 Offline

"General (Mr.Sunshine) Washington"

Loc: McGrath, AK
The leaning pole can be a leaning tree. It doesn't have to be supported on the high end. OR, it can run past a supporting tree with the set toward the end of the pole. No need for two traps. 99% of my marten sets are leaners and the other 1% are vertical.

I would tie the trap off at least 5 feet above ground level

#2869294 - 12/05/11 04:31 PM Re: Foothold on leaning pole?? [Re: Furback]
Furback Offline
trapper

This is really good info from all you guys,,I'm really starting to feel confident now. Thanks again.

#2869386 - 12/05/11 05:19 PM Re: Foothold on leaning pole?? [Re: Furback]
SnareLine Offline
trapper

Loc: NY
Be careful of the regs; some states, like NY, don't allow the animal to be fully suspended once caught.

#2869411 - 12/05/11 05:33 PM Re: Foothold on leaning pole?? [Re: Furback]
Ely Offline
trapper

Loc: Somerset area, Pa.
If you are using footholds, why a leaning pole? How about a cubbie?

#2869422 - 12/05/11 05:43 PM Re: Foothold on leaning pole?? [Re: Furback]
minnscott Offline
"Dink"

Loc: Minnesota
I know a young man that is a memeber here. He made a leaning pole set ( a tree that was leaning over a small stream) for Marten. The first night he caught a very nice female Marten, a couple day slater he caught a very very nice mink.

#2869458 - 12/05/11 05:58 PM Re: Foothold on leaning pole?? [Re: Furback]
Furback Offline
trapper

PA. regs don't say anything about animals being suspended ,we do however have to cover the bait, no exposed bait from above,,( hawks,birds, you no the drill). I'm not using cubbies for Fisher because of incidentals like coon, skunks etc. I don't want to find a possum in my Fisher cubbie grinning at me in the morning as he tells me a Fisher came by last night but "I got here first". I figure a leaner will eliminate that. Remember, we only have 6 days.

#2869519 - 12/05/11 06:24 PM Re: Foothold on leaning pole?? [Re: Furback]
decoy Offline
trapper

Loc: north Idaho
Want to be like O'G and give credit to who got my son and I doing the pole set with #0 & #1 LS....his name is, drum roll please..... white17 [Ken}.

#2869536 - 12/05/11 06:30 PM Re: Foothold on leaning pole?? [Re: Furback]
michael_obrien
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: Furback
PA. regs don't say anything about animals being suspended ,we do however have to cover the bait, no exposed bait from above,,( hawks,birds, you no the drill). I'm not using cubbies for Fisher because of incidentals like coon, skunks etc. I don't want to find a possum in my Fisher cubbie grinning at me in the morning as he tells me a Fisher came by last night but "I got here first". I figure a leaner will eliminate that. Remember, we only have 6 days.

Then put in 2 or 3 cubbies per good location. In my experiance the cubby will be a gazillion times more effective on fisher, and that number is well documented!

michael

#2869661 - 12/05/11 07:24 PM Re: Foothold on leaning pole?? [Re: Furback]
Noel Offline
trapper

Loc: Southern Maine
Opossums and Coons can still climb poles

#2869784 - 12/05/11 08:09 PM Re: Foothold on leaning pole?? [Re: Furback]
don403 Offline
trapper

Loc: lebanon,maine
90%of the time they will be dead in a leg hold wired on a pole.

#2869866 - 12/05/11 08:35 PM Re: Foothold on leaning pole?? [Re: Furback]
Boco Offline
trapper

Loc: james bay frontierOnt.
In my opinion there are more humane sets however the foothold has its advantages in a wilderness setting.If there is a chance of general public in the area one should use discretion in their choice of set.We must protect what trapping privelages we already have.

#2869867 - 12/05/11 08:36 PM Re: Foothold on leaning pole?? [Re: Furback]
ebsurveyor Offline
trapper

Loc: PA
catch them on the ground

#2869903 - 12/05/11 08:51 PM Re: Foothold on leaning pole?? [Re: Furback]
Boco Offline
trapper

Loc: james bay frontierOnt.
The main reason foothold traps are not used in northern ontario is because the law states that live holding devices(foothold)must be checked every 24 hours whereas there was no check limit on killing traps.that is why almost all northern trappers here adopted bodygrips as soon as they were available-they were more efficient on large registered lines just like snares.In the far north foothold traps did not have to be checked every day,but dealing with frozen traps live animals and destroyed cubbies was less efficient than picking up dead animals with easy resets.When Ralph Bice asked Frank Conibear if he invented his trap for humaneness his answer was yes but first and foremost was so as trappers could have every animal that was caught in their traps.There were no escapes as there are with footholds.

#2869927 - 12/05/11 09:03 PM Re: Foothold on leaning pole?? [Re: Furback]
white17 Offline

"General (Mr.Sunshine) Washington"

Loc: McGrath, AK
Catching them on the ground also subjects them to a greater chance of damaging themselves or their fur. Also damage from voles, shrews and other predators is more likely.

Body grips certainly have their place, but this isn't it IMO.

#2869959 - 12/05/11 09:14 PM Re: Foothold on leaning pole?? [Re: Furback]
Furback Offline
trapper

That last picture from Ebsurveyor looks like my backyard. I was just thinking, Bobcat comes in the same day Fisher does. I was going to make cubbies for the Bobcats, so I might as well combine the two. I'm going to use Gusto for lure and that is good for both. I have permission to trap 80 acres of private, posted land after deer season closes,(rifle) on dec.10. that gives me a week to scout it out and build my cubbies and look for natural ones too. This private land borders my land. Well I've learned a lot tonight and I thank everyone for their input. Past my bedtime,,good night, and GOD bless.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  tmrschessie