Okay sorry to keep you waiting. Spent some quality time with kids over break as well as working on and enjoying the 4 Running bravos.
So you recall the beast that a guy gave me. Actually a tman member. "Milkcrate" He gave it to me when he moved to the lower 48 about 4 years ago. He is back and word has it looking for a Bravo.
Well it looks a bit better than it did the last time you saw it.
A coat of paint on the out side and plastic and some great mods!
Ready for fun. I spaced out getting after on the motor. But all the Alum surfaces have been wire brushed and the clutches look good. More on mistakes etc later.
The seat box was made by my 7 year old daughter and myself.
She loved spreading the glue.
Went with the 5.5 inch tall box. 1/2 inch plywood this time but shorter. About what Takotna runs.
I wanted max rack room and a lot of options here. I made it for one person but looking back at it might have made it a little longer.
Nice way to get your weight forward. The storage is awesome.
Will be going .5 inch on Garritys at some point also. A lot more storage. And lighter than 2 by 6. Brain fart there.
I personally think the stock foam is too firm. So I chopped 3 inches of the stock off and put in 4 inches of high density foam they sell here at a place for making seat cushions. It is firm but with a nice cush. It is very comfy. Setting high, I will say once again, on a bravo is the way to go. Getting on a stock setup is as I have mentioned before feels is like a bad joke. Unbelievable difference for someone my height.
So the 3 inch riser worked so well on Garrity's I decided to go 4 this time. No cable ajustments or extensions needed. Had to use all-thread to make it work as I couldn't find long enough bolts to work with existing nuts. Had to drill out the bottom nuts to make it work. But it is awesome. I am 5 ft 11 in and can stand upright without bending over. Being able to push the handle bars more vertical allows me to set farther forward also. Allowing me to get by with the shorter seat.
So the next dilemma was the skis. I had a set of rusty metal ones. Contemplated making new skis from HD plastic or skins. I was in Verbas in Soldotna and they have a bin of used skis. I found this set of Skidoo Summit skis and they looked like they could be retrofit. $150
Well after about 4 hours or more of tweaking and cutting etc I came up with something that worked. Initially I was going to make a bracket to utilize the front shocks but chose to just abandon them. Was able to put the second one together in no time.
Aluminum channel in the back, Some chiseling but very doable. Used the two existng wear rod bolts to attach the Alum channel.
The existing hole for the front strap worked perfectly for the front spring attachment/slide. I utilized the existing plastic wear plates with some mods and had to chisel out some of the plastic but it was a great fit. I drilled a new hole for the front strap attachment with just enough to make it. Hope it holds up.
The skis are amazing compared to stock skis. We have ridden them side by side and it is very noticeable. These pict were taken with them mounted as they say. With the wider part of the ski to the inside and flat to the outside. I looked stupid so I reversed them. I think the floatation is better.
SOOOO the rest of the story will have to wait for my trapping journal.
However I will add a few more tips on these old machines. I didn't really think of it. I should have replaced all gas hoses. They are hard and no flex left. They have already begun to plague me. I will be pulling it in and replacing all tubing. Including the vacuum line going to the fuel pump. It just broke off with some pressure exerted on it while working on the carb at 15 below.
OHH the trapping journal starts out with a well Floppity doda! Coming soon to a thread near you.