Water Trapping Archive

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Catalog~

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: rats in farm ponds [Re: k. miller] #2845115
11/22/11 04:06 PM
11/22/11 04:06 PM
Greensburg, KS 3 blocks from t...
k. miller Offline OP
trapper
k. miller  Offline OP
trapper

Greensburg, KS 3 blocks from t...
i am gonna use the same prinicple with steel posts and no. nine wire.. i am too worried about coons shredding those wooden platforms...

take me to where the blacktop ends.. then go further with me
Re: rats in farm ponds [Re: k. miller] #2845514
11/22/11 07:07 PM
11/22/11 07:07 PM
sw Kansas
C
Creek Offline
trapper
Creek  Offline
trapper
C

sw Kansas
Kirk I have a few floats if you want to give them a try. I won`t be using them. No water here.

Jack Heinson
Re: rats in farm ponds [Re: Bismuth Boy] #2846012
11/22/11 09:36 PM
11/22/11 09:36 PM
Ohio fulton co
J
jdd5 Offline
trapper
jdd5  Offline
trapper
J

Ohio fulton co
Originally Posted By: Bismuth Boy
Originally Posted By: k. miller
no huts mo'trapper

just farm ponds with runs in the dam.... wish i had more 110s but no reason to have them in the desert LOL

If you have dens left and run out of 110's, just set a jump up inside the den entrance and wire to deeper water. Their feet are still touching the bottom when they are coming out of the den. I have caught hundreds of 'rats with footholds in dens, long before I ever heard of a Conibear.
I will also agree, victor 1 1/2 with the humped cross pan took many a den hole rat as I was growing up

Re: rats in farm ponds [Re: Calvin] #2846661
11/23/11 02:57 AM
11/23/11 02:57 AM
Watertown, SD
O
Otis Offline
trapper
Otis  Offline
trapper
O

Watertown, SD
Originally Posted By: Calvin
Originally Posted By: greenyswatter
muskrat floats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Perfect situation for them, can be make in 10 minutes with some scrap lumber! Look in the archives

Don't go all crazy now. Floats don't work everywhere. Not all rats are SD rats. Some won't climb onto a float to save their lives. They won't here...and I/ve caught plenty of rats off floats.

Pockets if you have the bank for it will take most rats most places.

We averaged less than 1 rat per day off 6 floats that sat out all 9 days that I had traps out this fall. Every rat came off the same float that was about 5 feet from a huge hut. I'd have set the hut but it was on the wrong side of the fence so a float near it was the next best thing. Every other rat came from other pocket/bank/den/hut sets. Last year floats were better in the fall. If I could figure out why the dramatic change, I'd catch way more rats I'm sure.

Sell out, or set out against.

Just trying to survive in a world full of idiots.
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Wolfdog91