Water Trapping Archive

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Catalog~

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Mink - Any experianced minkers... lure ??? #280944
08/01/07 07:41 AM
08/01/07 07:41 AM

A
ADC OP
Unregistered
ADC OP
Unregistered
A

For those who have used a few different mink lures, which brand do you like best? I'm thinking of adding a new one to my line to try this year as I'm always trying learn something new. I have used all of Lenon's, High Quality Brand, and a couple others. What do you like best?

~ADC~

Re: Any experianced minkers... lure ??? [Re: ] #280956
08/01/07 08:35 AM
08/01/07 08:35 AM
Gulliver, Michigan
A
Asa Lenon Offline
trapper
Asa Lenon  Offline
trapper
A

Gulliver, Michigan
What do you like best?

Lenon's, LOL! Ace

Re: Any experianced minkers... lure ??? [Re: ] #280968
08/01/07 09:03 AM
08/01/07 09:03 AM

2poor OP
Unregistered
2poor OP
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: ADC
What do you like best?

~ADC~

Fresh Fish !

Re: Any experianced minkers... lure ??? [Re: ] #280979
08/01/07 09:22 AM
08/01/07 09:22 AM
Indiana, 15 1/4yrs old
Gary Offline
trapper
Gary  Offline
trapper

Indiana, 15 1/4yrs old
ADC how have lures treated ya on mink ?? i myself never use it anymore ... used to ... when i was a kid id always have a few bottles to try every season .... have weaned myself from it .... im sure i shouldnt post this as im SURE a load of people are gonna flip out and attack me ... lmao .... but i believe that a musky mink smellin lure tends to shy away females and young bucks for the most part ... and before yall go off the deep end ... lol ... i have talked to quite a few BIG number mink guys that feel the same way .... anyhow ... just curious on what ya think Jayme

Possums and fanged beaver Skeer Me frown
Re: Any experianced minkers... lure ??? [Re: Gary] #280982
08/01/07 09:28 AM
08/01/07 09:28 AM
Northern Maine
Bruce T Offline
trapper
Bruce T  Offline
trapper

Northern Maine
I also have not used lure for mink for years now.But then again I mostly use blind sets as well for mink.

Nevada bound
Re: Any experianced minkers... lure ??? [Re: Gary] #280983
08/01/07 09:29 AM
08/01/07 09:29 AM
Gulliver, Michigan
A
Asa Lenon Offline
trapper
Asa Lenon  Offline
trapper
A

Gulliver, Michigan
Gary writes...
but i believe that a musky mink smellin lure tends to shy away females and young bucks for the most part

I agree 100%. An effective mink lure must be based on something other than loud smelling mink musk. Everytime i've seen a lure makers add over the years stating their lure was the "minkiest smelling lure available" I knew they were not experienced mink trappers and making lures off the top of their heads rather than from experience and testing.
From my experience and testing over the years, a well formulated mink lure used correctly can add 30% to one's harvest over non-lured sets. Ace

Re: Any experianced minkers... lure ??? [Re: Asa Lenon] #280988
08/01/07 09:51 AM
08/01/07 09:51 AM
Ames, IA
MikeTraps2 Offline
trapper
MikeTraps2  Offline
trapper

Ames, IA
To me Lenons Mink Super Range Super All Call is like Ameican Express when I trap late season mink, "Don't leave home without it!"

That being said, I use it only at pocket type sets with fresh fish or better yet fresh muskrat! I try to keep my sets 50/50 pockets and blind sets.

Last week of the season last year with 18+ inches of snow I got 3 Big buck mink out of 15 sets in 7 Days. Two of these ere taken in lured pocket sets, the other in a blind trail set.

(I am no big # mink trapper just FYI, these are just my personal experiences,)

Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure

Theodore Roosevelt
Re: Any experianced minkers... lure ??? [Re: Asa Lenon] #280993
08/01/07 10:07 AM
08/01/07 10:07 AM
IOWA
T
TrappinK-9's Offline
trapper
TrappinK-9's  Offline
trapper
T

IOWA
I'm with Gary on this one too. It seems like you will attract more coon to a set then mink. Fresh fish and the appeal of a newly dug hole is enough to investigate for the mink. I have just had problems with coon getting to the set before the mink maybe. I suppose I haven't had enough trial and error as well, but from my experiences no lure has produced a lot more mink than lured sets.

Fresh circle in the morning, nothing better.
Re: Any experianced minkers... lure ??? [Re: TrappinK-9's] #280996
08/01/07 10:10 AM
08/01/07 10:10 AM

C
CHICKEN OP
Unregistered
CHICKEN OP
Unregistered
C

I use asa's stuff and will never stray!!!

The mink I catch will come mostly from blind sets...I am targeting nothing but mink this fall and winter!!!

Re: Any experianced minkers... lure ??? [Re: ] #281007
08/01/07 10:25 AM
08/01/07 10:25 AM

K
Kre OP
Unregistered
Kre OP
Unregistered
K

Do you believe a mink set gets better after making a catch (I’m mainly talking about pockets here)?

Re: Any experianced minkers... lure ??? [Re: ] #281010
08/01/07 10:30 AM
08/01/07 10:30 AM

C
CHICKEN OP
Unregistered
CHICKEN OP
Unregistered
C

just to add my .02..I have done well with muskrat musk also..Asa has a muskrat lure..taken alot of mink with it also

Re: Any experianced minkers... lure ??? [Re: ] #281226
08/01/07 04:23 PM
08/01/07 04:23 PM

2poor OP
Unregistered
2poor OP
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: PA skinner

Gerald Schmitt, who has taken more mink than most of us will ever see, recommends straight preserved glands as a lure.

Actually Gerald says for Mink trapping I use primarily bait and use very little lure ! He does comment that he has mixed Mink Gland lure in Proylene Glycol and dumped it over his 5 gal. pail of bait in cold weather.

Re: Any experianced minkers... lure ??? [Re: Gary] #281228
08/01/07 04:24 PM
08/01/07 04:24 PM

A
ADC OP
Unregistered
ADC OP
Unregistered
A

Originally Posted By: Gary
ADC how have lures treated ya on mink ?? i myself never use it anymore ... used to ... when i was a kid id always have a few bottles to try every season .... have weaned myself from it .... im sure i shouldnt post this as im SURE a load of people are gonna flip out and attack me ... lmao .... but i believe that a musky mink smellin lure tends to shy away females and young bucks for the most part ... and before yall go off the deep end ... lol ... i have talked to quite a few BIG number mink guys that feel the same way .... anyhow ... just curious on what ya think Jayme

As you know I use several different type sets... IMO people who only use blind sets are missing as many mink as people who only use pockets... so I mix it up and do some of each.

Two sets in the past make me keep lure a part of my arsenal...

One time there was pool of water with a metal tube exteding out into it like 6 feet. The tube was rusty, galvinized stuff about 6" in diameter. The tubes end was in 2 foot of water and about 3/4 of it was under water. (The banks all around were very flat with no funneling points and no place for a pocket.) I'd seen a mink on the ice there last year so, rigged a 110 to a pole and put it over the tubes end, then dipped a small wad of grass in lure and poked it down through the top of the tube where a small hole was rusted. I then stood back and laughed cause it looked so stupid. lol The next day Mr.Buck Mink was waiting in that 110. No saying for sure the lure made go there but I think it did.

The second was a pocket set I made one morning with just some mink lure. It snowed all afternoon, like 4-6" but quit shortly after dark. When I checked the trap the next day you could clearly see where the mink was traveling in the snow on the high bank and went just a little past the pocket before turning and diving straight down the bank into the pocket. There was no way he could see the pocket, he had to smell something. Unless of course he was just happended to be going to turn around and go back down there on his own.

Don't know for sure in either case but I don't think it hurts my chances of a big buck so I'll keep using it sometimes. If it scares off the females and they are left to breed, I don't care about that either I guess. I know I have caught females in lured pockets lots of times.

~ADC~

Re: Any experianced minkers... lure ??? [Re: ] #281231
08/01/07 04:26 PM
08/01/07 04:26 PM

A
ADC OP
Unregistered
ADC OP
Unregistered
A

Originally Posted By: 2poor
 Originally Posted By: ADC
What do you like best?

~ADC~

Fresh Fish !

Silly rabbit, fish isn't lure.

Re: Any experianced minkers... lure ??? [Re: ] #281235
08/01/07 04:29 PM
08/01/07 04:29 PM

2poor OP
Unregistered
2poor OP
Unregistered

Dont tell the Mink !

Re: Any experianced minkers... lure ??? [Re: Gary] #281244
08/01/07 04:38 PM
08/01/07 04:38 PM
Idaho
S
Salthunter Offline
trapper
Salthunter  Offline
trapper
S

Idaho
Right on info, Just the way i see it also
 Originally Posted By: Gary

Work hard play hard
Re: Any experianced minkers... lure ??? [Re: ] #281245
08/01/07 04:39 PM
08/01/07 04:39 PM
Indiana, 15 1/4yrs old
Gary Offline
trapper
Gary  Offline
trapper

Indiana, 15 1/4yrs old
cool .... thanx for the response ...was just curious ... ya know me ...always askin questions !! lol .... i spose i have just gotten used to blind settin .... and to me there is no better set for mink in my book ...as long as ya know where to set .... its all about location .... i had caught mink when i was younger with lure but seen on many occasions where mink would approach a set and stop....turn around and leave ... pace back and forth at a distance from the set .... approach the set stop ...pace a bit and then veer off ... etc ....etc ..... maybe it was the lures i was usin ... maybe it wasnt ... i dunno .... but like i said i weaned myself off the lure .... granted ... i will punch in multi-species pockets and dirtholes .... but rely mainly on blind sets ... like i said ... location is key ... findin an area where ya can force that mink over ya trap and he is gonna be there waitin for ya when it comes back thru \:\)

Possums and fanged beaver Skeer Me frown
Re: Any experianced minkers... lure ??? [Re: ] #281264
08/01/07 04:52 PM
08/01/07 04:52 PM
Idaho
S
Salthunter Offline
trapper
Salthunter  Offline
trapper
S

Idaho
 Quote:
 Originally Posted By: PA skinner

I've found mink sets to be like fox sets in that regard, if you catch one mink, the smell of musk will be likely to get you another.
Although mostly true. How ever mink like skunks release when in fear. . A well constructed waterset/drowning set, the mink shouldnt release. it should have drown on its own in minutes
 Quote:
Gerald Schmitt, who has taken more mink than most of us will ever see, recommends straight preserved glands as a lure.
Gerald may sell mink gland and add to lures/baits because customers ask for it.
Gerald and I use to put up to 500 lbs of mink bait for the 2 of us. We cut bullhead into 1-3 oz sizes. In every 5 gallons we added 1/2 gallon propolyne, 1/2 gallon glycol and about a pound of green castor then put in the freezer, some bait stayed in 5 gallon buckets; most bait went into 5 quart ice cream containers

Quote:
I have the most confidence using a fishy smell, but nothing beats a good blind set.

No doubt, nearly triple the catch percentage in a blind set compared to pocket sets for me

Work hard play hard
Re: Any experianced minkers... lure ??? [Re: Salthunter] #281291
08/01/07 05:35 PM
08/01/07 05:35 PM
Gulliver, Michigan
A
Asa Lenon Offline
trapper
Asa Lenon  Offline
trapper
A

Gulliver, Michigan
I want to clarify what I said in an above posting. Some mink musk in a mink lure can be an asset, it when one adds too much that it many times scares off females and young males. Also, too much mink musk overpowers other great mink calling ingredients that might be in the formulation such as muskrat and weasel musk. Some moderate amount of mink musk added to ones bait will enhance that bait in my opinion. Ace

Re: Any experianced minkers... lure ??? [Re: ] #281308
08/01/07 05:55 PM
08/01/07 05:55 PM
kentucky
crombie Offline
trapper
crombie  Offline
trapper

kentucky
 Originally Posted By: 2poor

Dont tell the Mink !