The Pen and Quill

Home ~ Mission Statement ~ Trap Talk ~ ADC Forum ~ Trap Shed ~ Trap Chat
Trapper Tips ~ Links ~ Gallery ~ Basic Sets ~ Convention Calendar ~ Trapper's Humor
Fur Buyers Directory ~ Trapper's Tales ~ Words From The Past ~ Legends ~ Archives
~Catalog~

Topic Options
Hop to:
#2808759 - 11/02/11 05:20 PM a short story i put togeter
ducky Offline
trapper

Loc: androscogin county maine
tell me what you think It will be a cold,snowy,dangerous journey , are you sure you what to hike up to the mountain just for some stupid fur. “I have to go, there is good money in those hill's and I have to be the provider, as is the saloon fired me because I had to may fight's. Don't worry about me Jim and Jake are coming with me i am taking 2 out of the 4 horse and the pack mule we will be gone for about 3 months. I am bring my colt 45 and a rifle to the mountains and jake and jim have theres. I got to go now its already 3 pm and I want to make tracks the plot of land is at least 6 hours on horse so we so we must go when the kids get back tell the I love them and if we are not back by march have the sheriff come looking”. So what she say Jim said in his normal loud voice, I know she wasn't happy, but I told her there was lot's of marten,fisher,weasel,wolf and wolverine sign and we needed the money. Well enough talk lets get these here horse's packed and go trap some fur jake said. As we packed all the blankets, guns,ammunition, food and trapping thing in to the pack's I noticed the large black timber wolf creeping through the knee deep snow. I quickly got out my rifle (a 30 06 calibered gun which had the power to take any thing in the alaskan wilderness)jacking a shell in to the chamber I butted the stock up to my shoulder lined up the little bead on the wolf's front shoulder I pulled the trigger. The gun fired the 150 grain bullet out the barrel in the wolf's chest dropping it in its tracks. “ well there the first wolf of the season a nice black pelt. We finished packing and hit the trail we would skin the wolf at camp and have fresh wolf meat.After riding for about 4 hour darkness was gaining on us so we came to clearing about 15 feet by 10 feet around. We unpacked the camp and a few # 1 foothold traps and set them for weasel and marten in the many spruce and fur trees around the camp. When me and Jake got back Jim had made a wonderful lean-to and covered it with spruce branches along with the shelter he had a roaring fire going just out side the shelter. Most all of the snow in the valley we where in was about 2 inches now and still melting from the heat of the inferno. After skinning and fleshing our nice prime wolf we had some bread and wolf gravy for supper it tasted mighty good over the fire. After talking a long while we hit the sack, it was about 11 pm when I fell asleep (listening to the alaskan wilderness at night is mighty calming) but I know that the rouged coals languished long after midnight. It was about 3 am when the sound of a snowshoe hare's cry for help arose from the spruce. As I got up grabbed Jim's rifle a smaller 22 calibered rifle and headed toward the noise , as I got to the clump of trees I loaded 6 shell's in it and headed in, to my surprise a hare had gotten caught and a weasel had come to eat it but the weasel had taken the wrong tree that day and had gotten caught too and was snapped with it's neck broken. I went to check the other 10 trap's I had out and came back with 6 marten a mink and a fisher. I skinned them and woke the other guys up it was about 6 am and time to hit the trail again. We hit the trail at 7 and got to Jake's cabin at noon. We unpacked and settled in, for the next 3 months this was our home. After putting the pelts in the shed and the horses and mule in the barn we set out on foot with snow shoes for the river. We reached the river and looked for any sight of animal activity, it was hard because the river was froze solid, after about a hour we finally found some wolf trails and a beaver and muskrat colony. We set a dozen snares for the wolves and 6 to 8 #1 foot holds for the muskrats we also saw some mink sigh and made some boxes with 120 sized conibear kill type trap's for the mink. The beaver had 6 snares in there run's, after that we headed back for camp.As we made our way back to the cabin we stumbled on to a fresh wolverine trail “ it looks like that wolverine is after a hare” Jake said “ if its that fresh than load your guns and we can set some snares for that wolverine and maybe get a lynx or two if that is a rabbit trail. We found some small groups of conifers which we made some snare pens which is a group of trees with a snare on each side and bait in the middle. We finished up that leg of our line and finally got back to going to camp. We arrived at the cabin and stocked the wood stove and fixed supper a grouse we shot on the line and some wild mushrooms called butter tops that grow on the logs around Jakes cabin. “so are we going to the peak to scout for Goats so we can have some food” Jim said finishing his mushroom. “ ya I think there will be some fisher and marten maybe even some wolverine up there to. As we when in for the night we heard the horse's nay and a clatter in the barn we slipped on out boot loaded our guns and lite a oil lamp and headed out to see what had disturbed them. The noise calmed as we started to hear heavy breathing and a chill went down my spine as we saw a eight hundred pound grizzle bear eating out mule. Simultaneously we all raised our guns and pulled the triggers. If a animal get used to easy food like live stock it will kill just for the fun of it just because it has the prey to do so.
“ we will leave it for the night than we will check the trapline and bait with bear and mule”. We slept the rest of the night well and got up at 4am and started out day. After skinning fleshing and tacking the bears pelt we packed as much meat as possible and headed for the line. We came to snare line for wolverine and lynx and only had one lynx that was it , at the water line all we had we 2 muskrats and a mink. The beavers came up short with only a small kit in the lodge entrance. We were going to finish the day by going to the peak but we got a call on the two way radio that said a large storm was brewing for late tomorrow and for all the trapper in high places to either hold in a long while of head home. After a long talk we said we were heading home. We pulled all the traps and snares and packed every thing up a 3 month trip had become a 5 day trip just because of a storm. We slept the night through and headd home at about 3 am we got home just as heavy snow and slicing wind come in. every one was happy to see me and to know I was safe. We sat by the flickering fire and told of what had happened .

14/15 season

rats 0/30
Beav 0/10
Otter 0/6
Mink 0/2
Coon 0/15
Skunks 0/1
Fox 0/4
Yotes 0/5
Cats 0/3
Squirrels 0/infinite
Fisher 0/1