Lures, Bait and Urine Archive

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Catalog~

Print Thread
Hop To
Mixing glands for lure? #278771
07/30/07 03:40 PM
07/30/07 03:40 PM
Farmerville, La
O
offshoretrash Offline OP
trapper
offshoretrash  Offline OP
trapper
O

Farmerville, La
What Glands should be mixed together? All or just the anal and sex glands for one lure and the rest for another. Or do you just mix them all together.

Seems like everyone has a different way of doing it. Some don't want the foot pads, some just want the anal glands.

What is the right way?

2006 and 2007 T-Man/Cathryn Corner Fantasy Football League Champion
Re: Mixing glands for lure? [Re: offshoretrash] #278874
07/30/07 04:57 PM
07/30/07 04:57 PM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Offline
trapper
Bob Jameson  Offline
trapper
B

SW Pa
There is no right or wrong way. Each has his idea as to what is the best formulation and what is economical in terms of large production. It depends greatly on whether it is for private use or commerical use.

Anal and reproductive parts will give you the truest form of gland base.Anals alone seem to be the rage now adays if one can get enough for small private use. Anals and all the attached reproductive organs and bladder will be prime cuts as they say. Some like what may be called filler cuts to add bulk to the mix. But some feel there is merit to these other parts and use them in formuation.

Gland lures can be what I term a true gland lure with the basic representation of the animal being put into the batch or glands with other materials with other gland items added to arrive at yet another gland type of lure.

If you are on location and have the animals many types of gland lures will do the job.

Re: Mixing glands for lure? [Re: Bob Jameson] #278905
07/30/07 05:25 PM
07/30/07 05:25 PM
Gulliver, Michigan
A
Asa Lenon Offline
trapper
Asa Lenon  Offline
trapper
A

Gulliver, Michigan
Guess Bob J summed it up pretty good. Personally, I don't use any glands other than anal glands, bladers, gall bladders and reproductive organs. Any of the other so-called gland are in my opinion a pig-in-a-poke as to whether they might consistently be beneficial or detrimental in a lure. I know of many that use multiple other body glands with little or no understanding of the significance of their odors or signals to the species animal. By my own experience and some of the negative stories I've heard about various lures over the years, I have a feeling that some negative gland signals probably said 'run, get out of here, too risky, beware, trouble, danger, etc, etc, etc'. Ace

Re: Mixing glands for lure? [Re: Asa Lenon] #278907
07/30/07 05:28 PM
07/30/07 05:28 PM
De
C
coop Offline
trapper
coop  Offline
trapper
C

De
Grey fox gland lure...good or bad, draw or repel?

Re: Mixing glands for lure? [Re: Asa Lenon] #278909
07/30/07 05:30 PM
07/30/07 05:30 PM
Gulliver, Michigan
A
Asa Lenon Offline
trapper
Asa Lenon  Offline
trapper
A

Gulliver, Michigan
Samuelhasguns asked...Hey Bob, Can I mix, say red fox,coyote and bobcat gland lure together? Or would it be better to strictly use ones animal glands alone ?

I'm not Bob but I'll add my 2 cents meantime by saying that adding more than one species glands together would make good combinations and be an effective lure. Whether combining makes it any better would probably depend on all of the many variables such as time of year, mating season, type of set, etc. Ace

Re: Mixing glands for lure? [Re: ] #279039
07/30/07 07:17 PM
07/30/07 07:17 PM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Offline
trapper
Bob Jameson  Offline
trapper
B

SW Pa
Well said Asa, I too agree with that assessment.

I have read and heard varying opinions regarding grey fox and their acceptance or rejection to grey gland lure. I have not had a negative experience to my knowledge with useing grey gland lure and urine as some have stated. If they are there they will come if you are on them.

If I am targeting greys I use my grey gland lure, and grey urine and a sweet type bait for the most part. But I have caught them on a variety of other attractants made for cats and coyotes also. To sum things up simply I cant see how the odor of that animal would repel it in any way. The concentration or magnitude of a specific odor may however act as a cautioning signal to some animals under certain conditions. But that is just how some animals act depending on their learning curve at that particular moment in time.

Some say the same about coyote gland lure that it repels them. I personally pound coyotes on coyote gland lure, gland and bait combos, call and food lures you name it.

Matt Jones hits the coyotes hard on gland lure,food lures and baits in varying combinations. So if it works and I know it works that is the important fact.

Re: Mixing glands for lure? [Re: Bob Jameson] #279088
07/30/07 08:14 PM
07/30/07 08:14 PM

P
possum skinner
Unregistered
possum skinner
Unregistered
P

good info ...

Bob & Asa always a pleasure reading your brain pickins ;\)

Re: Mixing glands for lure? [Re: ] #279094
07/30/07 08:17 PM
07/30/07 08:17 PM
De
C
coop Offline
trapper
coop  Offline
trapper
C

De
Yup, like getting a new book everyday...

Re: Mixing glands for lure? [Re: coop] #279097
07/30/07 08:18 PM
07/30/07 08:18 PM
Farmerville, La
O
offshoretrash Offline OP
trapper
offshoretrash  Offline OP
trapper
O

Farmerville, La
thanks guys for the replys!!!