Lures, Bait and Urine Archive

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Catalog~

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Hop to:
#273872 - 07/26/07 01:09 AM GLANDS - animal glands threads...
bandet-buster Offline
trapper

Loc: missouri ray county
what can you people tell me about them...

how to collect them?
what to do with them?
is their any market on them?
can i see some pics of them?

any one put their 2 cent in or anyone with a question please ask

#273895 - 07/26/07 02:26 AM Re: animal glands threads... [Re: bandet-buster]
Smok Offline
trapper

Loc: Northen Calif . , Shasta Co.
Go look in the Archives it may help ?

#273944 - 07/26/07 06:24 AM Re: animal glands threads... [Re: Smok]
2poor Offline

Loc: Lake Mille Lacs , MN
Here is a picture of Weasel glands being removed and where they are located. The small yellow pea,s at the base of the tail are the musk glands.

Weasel glands are attractive to K-9,and Mink

Yes there is a market for most glands, or they can be used in your own lure formulations.

It is a lazy man that can't find his wife a second job !

http://mooseriverlures.com/

#273953 - 07/26/07 06:48 AM Re: animal glands threads... [Re: 2poor]
CoonDuke Offline
trapper

This is how I cut canine anal glands. Every lure maker wants glands cut their own way so it would be wise to ask first if you plan to sell to someone in particular.

Make a circular cut around the vent of the animal so that there is only of fur (or less) around the edge of the vent. When making the cut, it is extremely important to angle the point of the knife AWAY from the center of the vent. This will ensure that the scent glands remain intact with the vent and are not damaged. The pair of scent glands are located on either side of the vent, and are bluish in color. Once the circular cut is made, the vent can be pulled away from the carcass thus exposing the section of intestine connected to the vent. Cut the intestine as short as possible so that there is very little attached to the vent. Be sure that the short piece of intestine connected to the vent contains no feces. Once the vent is free from the carcass, it should be placed in a clean glass jar and frozen immediately. The glands should be packed as tightly as possible in the jar to avoid freezer burn. Because of the risk of freezer burn, glands should not be frozen in an unprocessed state for longer than six months. If you feel the need to keep them frozen for a longer period of time, spring water can be added to the jar. Be ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN that the water you add does NOT contain any chemicals such as chlorine! Glands which have been frozen in water can be stored for an extended period of time without running the risk of freezer burn.

#273966 - 07/26/07 07:08 AM Re: animal glands threads... [Re: 2poor]
possum skinner
Unregistered

here's a couple pics for you ...

i have others but they are on another computer that has crashed frown

hope these help

i store my rat glands in yogurt containers with lids until putting them in quart jars covered in vodka/glycerine mix ... works for me smile

pretty much all others all others i just freeze in tight sealed clean containers

beaver castor just gets double bagged in zip locs and frozen until dried

oil sacs get frozen too ... then at a later time squeezed into glass jars ... and the empty sacs ground to be used in bait formulation

i even save otter glands ... frozen then put into glass jars and rotted down to a liquid * see last pic that quart jar was 2/3 full about 30 otters worth see what it ends up being mmm mmm good wink

MINK gland location

removal is pretty simple ... using a sharp knife cut the little sac away by cutting close to the carcass and around ... making sure not to cut into it ... a lot easier doing it than trying to tell ya how lol smile

MUSKRAT glands

removal of rat glands is even more simple ... you cann gentley pull as you cut the connecting membrane ... once again making sure you do not cut into the gland ...

Aged otter glands reduced to a liquid

Edited by tmrschessie (01/20/13 01:24 AM)
Edit Reason: Pic not available

#273989 - 07/26/07 08:04 AM Re: animal glands threads... [Re: ]
CoopDog Offline
trapper

Loc: Mid-Ohio 16 years old
great post possum

#274008 - 07/26/07 08:28 AM Re: animal glands threads... [Re: CoopDog]
Bob Jameson Offline

Loc: SW Pa

This is a photo of a set of skunk pods prior to draining. Once drained the pods can be removed and saved also. Or the drained pods can be cut out after skinning.

I prefer to drain or extract the filled pods prior to skinning to avoid incidental discharge and wasteing some essence.

Wildlife Pest Control Services

#274162 - 07/26/07 11:02 AM Re: animal glands threads... [Re: Bob Jameson]
FlatSet Offline
trapper

Loc: Wisconsin
I've posted these before. Hopet hey help out with the k-9 anal glands for ya.

#274216 - 07/26/07 12:12 PM Re: animal glands threads... [Re: FlatSet]
bandet-buster Offline
trapper

Loc: missouri ray county
thax guys

could someone tell me if a coon has marketable gland

#274298 - 07/26/07 01:21 PM Re: animal glands threads... [Re: bandet-buster]
CoonDuke Offline
trapper

I know a few luremakers that use the gall from a raccoon.

#274635 - 07/26/07 05:23 PM Re: animal glands threads... [Re: CoonDuke]
marsh-rabbit Offline
trapper

Loc: Missouri, Ray county
are anal glans the only ones taken

FIREMEN

#274973 - 07/26/07 09:10 PM Re: animal glands threads... [Re: marsh-rabbit]
LT GREY Offline
trapper

Loc: Central Ohio
On glands I always take the anal rims, "female" parts, bladder, hock, neck and shoulder glands. I have never collected foot pads but know many that do.

#275114 - 07/26/07 10:05 PM Re: animal glands threads... [Re: LT GREY]
Wcrose19 Offline
trapper

Loc: galesburg illinois
what do you do with the anal rims, female parts, bladder , hock, neck and shoulder glands?

#275147 - 07/26/07 10:29 PM Re: animal glands threads... [Re: Wcrose19]
LT GREY Offline
trapper

I put them in a clean glass jar and into the freezer. These are what I (and others) make gland lure from. Everyone has their formula.

#275158 - 07/26/07 10:36 PM Re: animal glands threads... [Re: LT GREY]
Wcrose19 Offline
trapper

so you process them, or un freeze and use them one at a time? could you use them fresh without freezeing, like if i got a coyote, can i skin him out, and use his glands to make a new set the same day? or do i have to save them and use them in a lure for next year?

#275280 - 07/27/07 02:48 AM Re: animal glands threads... [Re: Wcrose19]
NDtrapper Offline
trapper

Loc: North Dakota
Since this is an animal gland thread I'll post up my thoughts on a gland that has worked great for me. The two oil glands that are located in the tail of ducks and geese have filled many strecthers for me. Canines coon and mink love em. Add some feathers to the set for eye appeal. The glands can not be sold if they are taken from wild waterfowl but if your looking for a change up for personnal use then this is it. I hope that this wasn't off topic but after all they are animal glands.

#275344 - 07/27/07 06:41 AM Re: animal glands threads... [Re: NDtrapper]
Bob Jameson Offline

Loc: SW Pa
Typically areas with abundant waterfowl and waterfowl nesting you will find these predators have a keen interest in the scent from these glands.Add some feathers for eye appeal you will have a good combo if on location for predators to investigate.

Wildlife Pest Control Services

#275510 - 07/27/07 10:46 AM Re: animal glands threads... [Re: Bob Jameson]
LT GREY Offline
trapper

W-19, You could use an anal rim at a flat set, I 've done it many times. Badger glands are one of my favorite for sharp coyotes. They are used at a flat set that is well blended, close by another set, such as a dirthole. However, my glands are ground together and left to rot down into a paste....this is the "start" of a gland lure formula. Try to keep all the hair around female parts and anal rims to a minimum. I don't want any or close to none. I only use fox with fox, coyote with coyote, cat with cat, etc. I never mix them although, I have taken a finished product and ( let's say for example) mixed a little cat gland with the others and did very well.

#276388 - 07/27/07 11:57 PM Re: animal glands threads... [Re: LT GREY]
Wcrose19 Offline
trapper

thanks lt. ndtrapper, i dont think that is at all off topic, and its kida neat thing to know, im not a big waterfowler, but id like to be, lol, just one more reason to shoot my pond ducks. dose anybody use tarsell glands from deer for anything my grampa always made sure i had one safety pinned to my coveralls when hunting, for a cover sent, wasnt sure if it had a place in trapping

#276443 - 07/28/07 12:59 AM Re: animal glands threads... [Re: Wcrose19]
LT GREY Offline
trapper

I have used a buck tarsel gland at a flat set, nothing more for fox and coyotes for years now. I always set it upwind of another set, such as a dirthole or along a trail....Man, just gave away my pet set....Ha! \:\)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  tmrschessie