Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support our sponsors for the Strictly Trapping Page - Trappers Post

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
Hop to:
#2729827 - 09/13/11 01:28 PM Otters, Otters, and only Otters
WildernessHunter Offline
trapper

Loc: Oregon
Or in the tradition of Lt Grey, how about "Otter sets and their locations"... Where I trap, there seems to be a decent population, but I never considered going after them. I understand the basics, but I know there has to be others here that would love to see some posts from the real experts! Who wants to be first?!?!
Also for Adam and his wife the LORD God made TUNICS OF SKIN, and clothed them. Gen 3:21

Every moving thing that lives shall be food for you. Gen 9:3a

#2729992 - 09/13/11 03:16 PM Re: Otters, Otters, and only Otters [Re: WildernessHunter]
13yearoldtrapper Offline
trapper

Loc: kaleva, michigan
where i live im aloud to trap 2-of-em now smile

#2730004 - 09/13/11 03:25 PM Re: Otters, Otters, and only Otters [Re: WildernessHunter]
cweg94 Offline
trapper

Loc: Petersburg, AK
i am by no means an expert but i have done a bit of otter trapping. I've got a couple off of crossovers at beaver dams. Most of my otter sets are 220s or 330s on trails and in front of holes. I might try some dirt holes this year. Some tips on that would be cool.

#2730217 - 09/13/11 05:32 PM Re: Otters, Otters, and only Otters [Re: WildernessHunter]
Kirk De Offline
trapper

Loc: Georgia
The year otter were the highest was the year I caught the most. That year I started making a gland lure by taking the essence from there gland sacs and mixing with beaver castor. I would place it near my sets in such a way it that it made them go to my sets.Used clam shells and even cleaned fish scraps from the previous summer frozen in zip lock bags( for smell and Eye appeal). Most were conibear sets. I also used fish oil and craw fish oil more liberally than in previous years. Successive sets were put out more than normal that year than I normally would so as to catch multiples coming up or down the streams.

Had spent the previous summer getting permissions when I could, and was the most prepared with traps that I ever was. I learned where the pockets were that held the beaver by looking at aerial photographs of whole drainages. Those pockets led me to the choke points for multiple sets for otter. The previous summer allowed me to investigate the best path or shortest routes to them on a map.

I caught 214 in 75 days. Had caught 103 otter the month of December of that year and about 350 beaver.

I even planned my routes, memorizing the road maps of the counties so as to not have to take the time to look at a map.

Some of the counties were relatively new to me and other trappers, though out there, were not as aggressive.

Weather also cooperated by being more wet during the winter.

It worked. I spent my time setting and catching, not spinning my wheels.

I kept then, a relatively new trucks and put a set of new tires on them prior to the season so I wouldn,t lose the time.

Otter were over $100 then. Much incentive.

Thought this might help, I have never explained this much in detail on a public forum about those times..

#2730999 - 09/13/11 11:51 PM Re: Otters, Otters, and only Otters [Re: Kirk De]
WildernessHunter Offline
trapper

Thanks for your input! I am glad you shared your experiences with us from the past! Otter might get up there again some day...??? I saw some go for over $70 this last spring!
Also for Adam and his wife the LORD God made TUNICS OF SKIN, and clothed them. Gen 3:21

#2731014 - 09/14/11 12:37 AM Re: Otters, Otters, and only Otters [Re: WildernessHunter]
cweg94 Offline
trapper

Loc: Petersburg, AK
my buddies highest otter was $80 last year. i was pretty jealous

#2760933 - 10/03/11 10:40 PM Re: Otters, Otters, and only Otters [Re: WildernessHunter]
WildernessHunter Offline
trapper

TTT. Hopefully there is some renewed interest here being so close to the season!

#2761161 - 10/04/11 05:51 AM Re: Otters, Otters, and only Otters [Re: WildernessHunter]
seitrapper Offline
trapper

Loc: SE Idaho
The trouble I'm having with Otter is finding toilets and sign in general. The sign is few and far between, but when I do find some sign, there is a good amount of it. I've been on here reading everything I can about Otter but not a lot of pics of Otter sign, (toilets, scat, tracks). I got the general idea about how to trap them but I would love to see some pics on here of sign, otter sets, etc...I've only caught one otter and it was a big one, so i've been told. It measured 5'6" almost 5'7" from nose to tail! It was last year in a beaver set with a 330. And I must say, Otter have got to be the meanest thing I've caught so far! And strong as heck! It was just a lucky catch on the day I went in to pull all my gear out. Thanks for any pics and advice you guys share and have shared, it helps a lot! Look forward to hearing from more experienced trappers!

Edited by seitrapper (10/04/11 05:52 AM)

#2761477 - 10/04/11 10:52 AM Re: Otters, Otters, and only Otters [Re: WildernessHunter]
Knewguuy Offline
trapper

Loc: Sisters, Oregon
me two this is my 2nd year trapping and last year i caught squat.lol but i talk to some poeple this year who told me were i could go get some mink and otter so i am hoping to get a lot of info be for the season to have some success.
PS.i would be happy with one.
1 otter
1 coyote

#2763590 - 10/05/11 04:02 PM Re: Otters, Otters, and only Otters [Re: WildernessHunter]
Knewguuy Offline
trapper

ttt anyone with imput?
1 otter
1 coyote

#2763928 - 10/05/11 07:49 PM Re: Otters, Otters, and only Otters [Re: WildernessHunter]
Kirk Offline
trapper

Loc: louisiana
most beaver type sets will also take an otter as will dirtholes near a toilet on the dirt hole sets you will want to put the trap back about 10 inches from the hole otter have a really long neck IMO one of the most important things when trapping otter is to make sure of you staking system an otter is a really strong animal and is going to test the heck out of your staking system

#2763988 - 10/05/11 08:05 PM Re: Otters, Otters, and only Otters [Re: WildernessHunter]
trappinia Offline
trapper

Loc: iowa
I've only cauhgt two the first was a shock ,didn't aven know we had any around c.o. said it was the first in my county. the next year I set the same way and bingo. I had a 330 set for beaver in a small feeder stream and up stream aways I had a few pocket sets for coon with a really fishy lure.So now that is me goto otter set haha!!!

Edited by trappinia (10/05/11 08:06 PM)

#2765739 - 10/06/11 09:11 PM Re: Otters, Otters, and only Otters [Re: WildernessHunter]
butcha Offline
trapper

Loc: Eastern Canada
Otters are easy to trap, it's the keepin the traps workin when the Otter come through thats the hard part,basic channel sets will take the bulk of your Otter catch, if your trappin in Beaver habitat, its easy to locate good sets.As mentioned above in regards to lack of sign,80% of my Otter are taken in areas that show little or no sign.Get a good map, and set all the flowages that lead ,to good Otter areas,have patience and gangset.those are the basics.There are numerous other productive Otter sets, I'll add more if anyones interested.

#2765819 - 10/06/11 09:59 PM Re: Otters, Otters, and only Otters [Re: WildernessHunter]
chris_tn Offline
trapper

Loc: West, TN
How deep does the water need to be for a drowner?

#2765932 - 10/06/11 11:36 PM Re: Otters, Otters, and only Otters [Re: WildernessHunter]
Knewguuy Offline
trapper

do otters work the mashes because the place i am looking at is a marsh coming right of of a big river and there are some channels that a 330 could go in would that be a good spot to put some body gripers? i am new to the game but i still think if there were sign it would not be that hard to fine, but i cant seem to find any type of tracks. but i did find what i think are trails into the water so that is a start lol. i am trying to learn everything i can before the season starts so i am not stuck trying to find places set traps.
Thanks Guys
1 otter
1 coyote

#2766098 - 10/07/11 07:16 AM Re: Otters, Otters, and only Otters [Re: WildernessHunter]
mainetrapper2011 Offline
trapper

Loc: Androscoggin county, Maine
work your culverts on marshes and brooks if there are beac=vers around 9 times out of 10 i find otter sign around as well. beaver [Please excuse my language... I'm an idiot] sets can also be productive. i personaly would not put a otter on a drownder unless staked on both ends VERY SECRULY these are inncredably powerfull animalls and i have had them pull beaver weights out of the depths before wich no bever as ever budged. water depth i would say no less than 4 feet just in case you get a rear foot catch

fox-1
yote-4
coon-4
stinkers-1
grinners-0
Rats-9
Mink-4
Beaver-1
weasel-0

#2766132 - 10/07/11 07:49 AM Re: Otters, Otters, and only Otters [Re: WildernessHunter]
Asa Lenon Offline
trapper

Loc: Gulliver, Michigan
As Kirk mentioned, a plain old dirthole set lured with an appropriate lure works great on otter. I caught many, many otter in hole sets along water areas made for coyote with trap pan 9" to 10" back of hole and offset about "2 right.

#2766507 - 10/07/11 01:26 PM Re: Otters, Otters, and only Otters [Re: WildernessHunter]
Knewguuy Offline
trapper

i dont think there are beavers there anymore because i dont see and type of sgin like that of fallen trees. were do i look for otter sign?
1 otter
1 coyote

#2766643 - 10/07/11 03:47 PM Re: Otters, Otters, and only Otters [Re: WildernessHunter]
Redeagle Offline
trapper

Loc: Missouri
Don't overlook the dry paths around any water hole. Otters will travel on dry land as well as waterways and you can catch them in snares on the trails along streams,lakes, rivers, etc. I once saw a family of otters (5 in all) running through the woods. It was a good half-mile from the river. I was deer hunting at the time. I heard a loud rustling in the leaves and thought it was a doe and her yearlings running through the woods, or else a couple bucks chasing a doe. I couldn't make out what it was at first because of the trees. Then, one after the other, a family of otters jumped up on a big fallen log lying on the ground and one by one, following each other in a line, they ran across the log and jumped off the other end like a bunch of squirrels playing "chase." Then, they continued on down hill in the direction of the river. I had never seen such a thing before and wasn't aware that they would stray so far from water. My guess is that they were traveling from another water source to the river and the most expedient way to do it was to cut across dry ground. Just a tidbit of information for you to file away that perhaps you could put to good use if the occasion arose.

#2766915 - 10/07/11 07:29 PM Re: Otters, Otters, and only Otters [Re: chris_tn]
butcha Offline
trapper

Loc: Eastern Canada
min 3 feet

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Drifter, tmrschessie